K-1 (I miss those times)

Mentor

I really miss the K-1 times. Not sure what the hell is going on, but it is as if all the good Heavyweight Kick Boxers vanished or died. The depth of fighters from the mid 90s till the mid to late 00's was ridiculous. There was so many elite fighters, from different countries, so many of them with interesting characters and charisma. Also the competition was very high, any of of them could win. Some of those greats were (These are some of the best):

Mirko Filipović

Ernesto Hoost

Semmy Schilt

Peter Aerts

Remy Bonjasky

Andy Hug

Branko Cikatić

Mark Hunt

Alistair Overeem

Jerome Le Banner

Stefan Leko

To me the Tokyo Dome finals in December was one of the main things i looked forward to watching every year. I was wondering, where the hell has all that talent vanished? I guess a lot at involved in MMA now, but still, it is almost like that stand up fighting died.

• Upvote 2

I was wondering, where the hell has all that talent vanished? I guess a lot at involved in MMA now, but still, it is almost like that stand up fighting died.

Same thing that happened to MMA really, they lost to the west and it's $. The spectacle that was golden age JKick and JMMA was truly like nothing else. Sadly we can't go back to that scale just due to the money not being there in those areas anymore. Heavyweight talent went to other sports that pay more or were simply held back by modern drug testing lmao

MASATO GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wae1CnQJ4u0

(longest low-blow break ever btw)

• Upvote 1

I guess it comes down to the fact that with MMA they had an alternative (USA, in particular UFC), with Kick Boxing, the alternatives were really weak, so the best fighters eventually faded away and there has not been any new crop since then. It is a real shame to be honest because the spectacle of those Pride + K-1 days were unmatched.

Masato was great at those lower weights, i was more of a fan of the HW fighters though.

• Upvote 2

Probably war on roids got tougher.

There ARE a few really old scientific papers linking roids usage with an increased incidence of leukemia, but because "using roids is bad and you should feel bad" mentality the scientific production on AAS decreased a lot and we dont have this answer. Maybe thats what gave Andy Hug cancer... We dont know. But probably they were all using with a more agressive approach back then....

(Sorry for post wave! REALLY.) Yeah, Yakusa money out of PRIDE and MMA plus lack of Roids fucked jMMA in the ass, no butter.

Same thing that happened to MMA really, they lost to the west and it's $. The spectacle that was golden age JKick and JMMA was truly like nothing else. Sadly we can't go back to that scale just due to the money not being there in those areas anymore. Heavyweight talent went to other sports that pay more or were simply held back by modern drug testing lmao

MASATO GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wae1CnQJ4u0

(longest low-blow break ever btw)

Mike Zambidis !

Love that dude! Being of Greek heritage, i paid close attention to his fights. He reminds me of a Le Banner just half the size :thumbup: In other words a hard hitting, tough / direct fighter who goes for the big win but often falls short of the big prizes, fun to watch though.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah the clinch rule change to favor Karate /Kickboxe against Thai fighters was kinda... well, not shady, but a fucking jerk move.
Same thing in Judo. Change rules because japanese judo was losing to russian judo :sad01_anim:
Or Sumo, how fucking nationalist they are and how they try to fuck mongolians and russians. (http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201904260034.html)

K1 was shady tho. Kept changing the rules to favor certain fighters. Typical jfight fuckery.

I really miss that dj from K1 dynamite though. Where all my warcraft fans at?

Well it is their competition, so they can do what they want with it. Also, the best fighters in K-1 were mostly foreigners, i think the clinch rule probably helped make the who competition to be faster paced and more exciting to the average fan.

As I said... Not shady, but huge dick move. You can argue K1 clinch rule changing making it more interesting, but we all know the real reason behind this is because japanese fighters were getting clinch RAPED and japanese dont accept losing at their own stuff (there is historical background, as I pointed earlier)

But Judo rules are shit. Sport now is mainly "battle grip a little, fake kuzushi/throw until the other guy gets a penalty, win by douchery". I trained 8 years of Judo and during med school I was at my college judo team. I used to study more judo than medicine at that time, thats how addicted I was... And I cant stand training anymore.

======================================================================================================

That is an interesting article regarding Sumo, i did not know only Japanese sumo wrestlers where allowed to open a stable. On the one hand it is a bit racist, on the other hand, i do see the point of this.

Its their country, they do whatever the fuck they want... Still a dick move... No wonder why Sumo audience ratings are shrinking FAST... Younger japanese generations dont give a fuck about this tradition and dont want to consume this sport, they just want tentacle rape anime. Outsiders wont buy it because japanese xenophoby makes it unpleasent...