Shane Carwin Retires

Sad to see him retire, thought he was a great fighter and some of his fights were really entertaining. He's been unfortunate with a lot of injuries. Came so close to winning the title in that fight against Brock Lesnar, can't believe Brock survived in that fight and I thought Shane had won it for sure.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/former-ufc-interim-champ-shane-carwin-announces-retirement-from-mma

Not surprised to be honest. He isn't a big guy naturally and has been juicing like crazy for years. Without them his body cant take the beating that MMA training puts on it. He is always hurt and imo he cant train as hard as he needs to without help to compete at the highest level. When you have a good career like he does. Its silly to keep putting yourself through the mill. That said he is a good guy and I wish him the best. He made for some interesting fights in the heavy weight division. But he has been out of fighting for 2 years and that much time off kills fighters being on the back of a 2 fight losing streak with little confidence only makes it worse. I would love to have seen him fight Big Foot Silva, DC, or Barnett.

• Downvote 5

It was time I think. Considering his day job, its probably for the best to just focus on that considering how difficult it has been for him to stay healthy.

Agree. Lets not forget he is 38 years old. Even if he struggled and got healthy and in shape. How many fights could he have left? IF he started winning again he would start to decline due to age even fast by the time he got to a title shot in his early 40's. I would like to have seen 3 more fights none the less. But that is all he had left at best anyway.

His fight against Brock Lesnar was awesome. I thought that he would KO him... Too bad Shane retired but he had problems with health. I really hoped that he would fight 2-3 times. I really enjoyed watching his fights. But he knows what's the best for him and for his health.

Bragi~

It was time I think. Considering his day job, its probably for the best to just focus on that considering how difficult it has been for him to stay healthy.

What is his day job? And yes to much talant now in HW division there just was no why he could even be champion again so probably just didnt want to just be gatekeeper.

What is his day job? And yes to much talant now in HW division there just was no why he could even be champion again so probably just didnt want to just be gatekeeper.

Engineer.

He will be better off at his day job. I think he tried to do too much and jucing that long takes a toll on your body. the guy cant stay healthy for a fight now. Well it was fun seeing him in the cage but time to move on and do something else. Later carwin

• Downvote 3

he shouldve considered this when he got submitted by brock lesnar.

A Brock Lesnar who had almost been beaten to death and had to be taught an arm triangle during a fight.

I could of submitted him in that fight if they inserted me in the second round. His body was in total and complete shutdown. It's not like Brock out JJ'd him, he was just not able to offer any resistence.

Anyways, sad to see him go, but agree it's time. He hit so effing hard though I think any fight he was in or would have been in would be worth watching...

• Upvote 3

Obviously he was horribly gassed, I'm still just surprised Brock's shambling corpse managed to rally. That was a horrific beating.

Carwin was a dangerous fight for everyone in the division, but 2 years off, several major surgeries etc didn't really make it very surprising when he retired. I've always liked him, seems like a bright guy, so I hope he's happy with his life as a retired fighter.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately I bet the house that he would knock Brock out in the first round...

Always been a huge Shane Carwin fan since he entered the UFC. On top of that, we share a birthday, which automatically increases my biasness.

Fix'ed lol
  • Upvote 3