FORTITUDE FC (200k)

Mixed Martial Farce Magazine presents: An Interview with a Viking

By Hunky Dory

7/1/14

I just finished the most unique interview of my writing career. I scheduled an interview with Magnus Barfot, a newly signed Fortitude FC fighter, and was not disappointed. I had been told in advance, by others that had met him, that he was an interesting character but nothing prepared me for our conversation. It was without a doubt the weirdest half hour of my life.

Like many of the top fighters in the world, Magnus Barfot trains at a private establishment. The sign above the main entrance read "In The Penile Colony" which I imagined was a metaphor, or something. I walked in and was surprised at the light and cheery atmosphere in the place. Rows of ancient body armor lined the walls and there were several great axes in display cases throughout the place. Every single person in the building, myself excluded, had the look of a cold blooded killer but didn't look like they would take the murder itself too seriously. "The eye of the tiger" had nothing on this place.

"I help you?" the burly man behind the front desk asked me.

"I, uh, I'm here to talk to Magnus Barfot? I have an interview with him today at 3?" The hulking receptionist decided not to murder me on the spot, thankfully, but gave me a heads up that Barfot can be a wee bit intense with people that he doesn't trust (which he specified was everybody excluding his mother). I thanked him and assured him that I was ready for anything. I was wrong.

---

Many fighters will confess that they first got into mixed martial arts in order to avoid fighting on the streets. Some were bullied, others got into it because it was a natural translation from their high school or college sports, such as wrestling. When asked about his origins and what got him into the sport, Magnus Barfot was very open and frank with me, “I got started in MMA after I beat the crap out of my current manager in a street fight outside of a Kebab store in Bergen. It was at 4 in the morning.

I stared at him in disbelief and asked, “A Kebab store?

He said simply, “I didn't even want a Kebab.

Many fighters are very nationalistic and proud of their home country. Others, such as Barfot, have an interesting claim about where they are from. I sat down with Barfot to address the rumors that have been circulating that he is a modern day Viking. Fans and the MMA media have denied his claims and argued that he is simply a pale skinned Scandanavian.

I broached this subject with him, saying: “Rumors have been circulating about you; people say that you claim to be a real, live Viking. A lot of people are saying that it isn't true. What do you have to say to those people?

With no change of expression on his face, he shrugged, and said, “People will doubt everything, given the chance. People used to think the Earth was flat. Most idiots still think that Columbus discovered the Americas. People still deny the glory of Odin. I'm not really concerned with what so-called 'genealogists' and 'historians' have to say. Anyone who has ever seen me fight knows that I'm a real Viking warrior.

Historically, Vikings were some of the most aggressive warriors that ever lived. Do you think that translates into your fighting career or gives you any advantages over opponents?

Obviously it translates. That berserker rage flows through my veins even today,” he popped a chunk of food into his mouth.

What is that you're eating,” I asked, morbidly curious.

Horse fat,” he said with a mouth full of the stuff.

I couldn't decide if he was being serious or not but thought better of pushing the matter.

So, what separates you from the rest of your division,” I asked, still staring at the brown paper bag full of what he claimed was horse fat.

What separates the magnificent eagle from the lowly sparrow?

What,” I asked.

You tell me,” he said, his face deadly serious.

Uhh, worms,” I stuttered. When he kept staring at me, I continued babbling on, “They eat worms. And, uh, eagles eat goats and stuff?

After a solid minute of absolute silence between us, with Barfot loudly chewing his food, I decided to change the subject.

So, uh, you've never been rocked.”

He just grunted a laugh.

I mean, in a professional fight, you've never been rocked by strikes. Would you agree with the assessment that any striker going against you on the feet would be committing professional suicide?

He continued chewing on his alleged horse meat for a minute longer, made a face, and reached into his mouth with two fingers. He pulled out a long string of gristle and threw it back into the bag. Then he let out a long, drawn-out sigh, and looked up at me.

I wouldn't use the word “professional”; I'd use the word “literal”. The only guy that I haven't mercilessly slaughtered with strikes yet lost so many gallons of blood, he turned the stairs out of the cage into a slip 'n slide after his cornermen dragged him to the hospital.

I decided to go ahead and change the subject as the excitement of the bloody memory was evident in Barfot's face, “As you know, I, uh, interviewed Sean Watson and your name came up a couple of times. He stated that he thought you would defeat Sagan Tyson and win the title and that he would want to face you at a later date. How do you think you would fare against Watson if that fight were to occur?

Look, you've already asked me about Watson. If we fight, I'll go in there and hurt him one way or another. I'd kick the living shit out of Watson and we both know it.

Were you at all impressed with his performance against Sanchez?

He sneered terrifyingly at me, “I didn't watch his fight versus Sanchez. I doubt it was very impressive though. Diego Sanchez is half a step up from gutting Irish nuns, tops.

He was getting worked up, I could see this clearly. I decided to shift the conversation into a more amicable direction before I could find my way into one of his brown paper bags.

Let's talk about your scheduled opponent, Sagan Tyson,” I said.

He just stared at me, chewing on his seemingly infinite supply of mystery meat.

You're facing Sagan Tyson for the Fortitude FC world heavyweight championship in just a few days now. How do you think he stacks up against the level of competition you've faced in the past? I mean, you're fresh off of a dominant victory over Mark Riccuito who some might argue is technically more skilled than you and Tyson,” I let out a breath and waited.

He spit a hunk of meat and phlegm onto the floor somewhere, wiped his mouth with the back of his shirt sleeve, and said, “I'm not terribly concerned with Sagan to be perfectly honest; my namesake used to say that “king exist for glory, not for long life” and I fight with that in mind. As for Riccutio, I knew that boy was all flash and no substance when I started landing on him.

Isn't there anyone in your division that concerns you?

No.”

We stared at each other for perhaps the longest thirty seconds of my writing career and then I asked one final question: “In some purely hypothetical world in which you could possibly have a faint weakness, what would that weakness be?

His answer chilled me to the bone. He said: “My only weakness is that I still value human life. I'm working on that.

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with ORIGO Fight Wear and RISSA LLC Fight Alliance is proud to present: FFC 9: Barfot vs Tyson. This event will take place at The Underground arena in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil on July 5, 2014.

(Prologue)

The world heavyweight championship title is finally up for grabs. We have seen some spectacular heavyweight contenders rise in recent events with Valentin Ralek and Sean Watson arising for future showdowns.

Sagan Tyson earned his chops with two consecutive dominations of tough contenders. Meanwhile, Magnus Barfot was brought in as an undefeated former world champion that has actually moved down from super-heavyweight.

In the co-main event, Kaz Yago brings his deadly well rounded style as he takes on the knockout artist, Rusty Nales.

(The Action)

(Heavyweight Division, Championship bout) Magnus Barfot (9-0) versus Sagan Tyson (11-5)

(Preview) The former Shogun MMA super-heavyweight champion of the world, Magnus Barfot, makes his long awaited FFC debut. Magnus is an elite Muay Thai kickboxer with devastating punching power and a mean high kick that can put anyone in the world away. In nine professional fights, he has never seen the eight minute mark. Magnus Barfot is a self-described Viking that has become extremely marketable with his media tour leading up to this championship showdown.

Sagan Tyson's biggest asset in this fight is his ability to mix up his techniques and wrestle with opponents. For all of his talent on his feet, he has to know that his best chance of winning this fight is by making it ugly. He needs this to become a dog fight; ugly, brutal, and grueling. Make Barfot uncomfortable and work for a submission.

(Prediction) Magnus Barfot via (T)KO.

[A closer look]

(Magnus Barfot)

Record: 9-0

Knockouts: 9

Submissions: 0

Style: Muay Thai

Height: 6'3

Weight: 258.8

Accomplishments: Former Shogun MMA Super-heavyweight Champion, Fight of the Night, KO of the Night (x3)

In this fight: He needs to keep Tyson at a distance and pick him apart with power shots which is exactly what he's going to do, I think.

(Sagan Tyson)

Record: 11-5

Knockouts: 5

Submissions: 3

Style: Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Height: 6'4

Weight: 280 lbs

Accomplishments: KO of the Night

In this fight: He needs to get this fight to the ground and fast. He needs to stay on top of Barfot and not let him throw his power strikes if he wants to be in this fight.

(Welterweight Division) Kaz Yago (11-9) versus Rusty Nales (4-2)

(Preview) The thunder fisted phenom from Montreal, Kaz Yago, is the epitome of a well rounded mixed martial artist. His boxing is complimented by his incredible knockout power; a power that has earned him multiple knockout of the night bonuses. His Jiu-Jitsu is legitimate as well; he has excellent submissions on the ground. His one flaw, if you will, is his lack of wrestling; a fact that he has worked on diligently to overcome.

Rusty Nales is a nightmare match-up for the former UPF title hopeful. His Muay Thai makes him a powerhouse on his feet. In recent fights, he has been shooting for takedowns and chipping away at opponents with ground and pound as well. It is hard to gauge his power based on the fights he has had.

(Prediction) I think Rusty Nales picks Kaz Yago apart in multiple facets of the fight.

[A closer look]

(Kaz Yago)

Record: 11-9

Submissions: 5

Style: Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Height: 5'8

Weight: 181 lbs

Accomplishments: Fight of the Night, Sub of the Night (x2), KO of the night (x2), UPF Title Challenger

In this fight: Kaz Yago needs to land his punches like nobody's business. If he can get a takedown, then he should... but he doesn't really shoot for takedowns. Most of his ground fighting has come from being taken down. Kaz just needs to land punches.

(Rusty Nales)

Record: 4-2

Knockouts: 2

Style: Muay Thai, Wrestling

Height: 5'7

Weight: 180 lbs

Accomplishments: N/A

In this fight: I'd like to see Rusty Nales take this fight in and out of the clinch. Along the cage, I think Nales takes Yago to school. At a distance, you're playing with fire testing Yago's power.

(Middleweight Division) Alak Aksornpan (8-6) versus Biggie Shackleton (9-5)

(Preview) Alak Aksornpan is a Muay Thai kickboxer that has a basic submission game as well. In several fights he has gone for a takedown or even pulled guard in order to catch a submission when the time was right. However, this eagerness to go to the ground has worked against him in past fights against superior submission wrestlers. Biggie Shackleton is the former ECFL middleweight champion of the world and is a very dangerous grappler. He has decent boxing, excellent takedowns, and when he gets you on your back, his ground and pound is second to none. I'll be interested to see if Aksornpan can get him down if he so chooses to (he has taken down brown belts before) and if he does, can he keep Shackleton on his back and out of the fight?

(Prediction) I think Biggie takes this with his ground and pound.

(Heavyweight Division) Christophe Duggary (2-0) versus Brian Schroeder (2-0)

(Preview) Christophe Duggary is a well rounded young prospect; he is equal parts power punching and effective grappling. In his professional debut, he controlled his opponent on the ground and then rocked him with punches early in the second to score a KO finish. In his second appearance, he claimed the WPFC heavyweight championship with a submission victory. He is facing another young prospect named Brian Schroeder. Brian is all about his punches although he does have a very nice leg kick as well. He is not a total slouch on the ground as he is able to advance position and stall for a standup.

(Prediction) Brian Schroeder is young and capable of great things in this sport but this is Christophe's fight to win via submission.

(Heavyweight Division) Jojiro Yamanaka (1-0) versus Otis Kade (6-2)

(Preview) Both Yamanaka and Kade are power punchers that love to get in there and aggressively trade strikes until the referee says stop. We haven't really seen enough of either fighter to effectively gauge who will come out on top of this one.

(Prediction) Giving it to Otis Kade entirely based on his experience advantage.

(Heavyweight Division) Rodrigo Silva (8-1) versus Techo Alaga (6-5)

(Preview) Rodrigo Silva makes no attempts to hide his game plan going into this fight: he is going to take you down and do everything in his power to submit you. Silva is currently among the top submission fighters in the organization with a record three submission victories in his tenure here. Techo Alaga, who I keep wanting to mistype as TECHNO Alaga, is a hard fighter to predict. His lack of a real specific style makes him unpredictable. He throw punches and kicks, elbows and knees in the clinch, goes for takedowns and submissions. He doesn't necessarily excel at any one thing but he sure tries it all. He's like a fat guy at an all the cake you can eat buffet.

(Prediction) Alaga overwhelmed Carvalho with his style but Silva is no Carvalho. Rodrigo Silva via first or second round submission to re-break the record.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Kristan Maruyama (11-8) versus Lukas Ioannou (4-5)

(Preview) Back in high school, I had the biggest crush on this girl named Kristen. She was beautiful... red hair, blue eyes, freckles. She got out of school and became a heroin addict with two kids and no baby's daddy to speak of so I dodged that bullet. Kristan Maruyama is a new signee to Fortitude FC that has an excellent submission game. Everywhere that he goes, he seems to find himself in line for a shot at the title so expect to see great things out of this guy later. Lukas Ioannou may just be the foil to Kristan's heroin-loving submission style. Lukas has incredible wrestling to compliment his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt.

(Prediction) Tough one to call but I'm giving the edge to Lukas Ioannou based on his advanced wrestling.

(Welterweight Division) AD Tricks (2 -2) versus Egidiusz Nowakowski (5-0)

(Preview) Ad Tricks is your run-of-the-mill low yield boxer. He has good boxing which he supplements with a decent clinch game as well. Egidiusz Nowakowski is a submission fighter that doninated his way through a QFC tournament to become the tournament champion. He cleared the first round of the TWGC Grappling Tournament but came up short in the second round. His record speaks for itself, however: he is a dangerous fighter on the ground.

(Prediction) Egidiusz Nowakowski takes this one via submission.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Royler Gracie (6-0) versus Donatan Cleo (0-1)

(Preview) Royler Gracie is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt that has amazing top control, decent submissions, and decent ground and pound as well. Donatan Cleo is a pure kickboxer that is in way over his head in this fight.

(Prediction) Royler Gracie via submission unless something is goofed.

(Welterweight Division) David Souza (2-1) versus Michael Jordan (0-1)

(Preview) David Souza is a pure submission grappler that is slowly developing a boxing style. He will be facing Michael Jordan (no relation). Jordan is a fighter that specializes in dirty boxing from the clinch. From what I hear, Michael Jordan is the Michael Jordan of being named Michael Jordan.

(Prediction) David Souza wins this one via Michael Jordan should stick with basketball.

(Epilogue)

I want to mention that I'm still conducting fighter interviews and would love to see your creative writing skills in action. I don't care if you're in the main event, in the undercard, or a new signee that hasn't even taken a fight yet. Let's get your name known to everyone else in the org.

But I'm not going to chase down and force all 93 signed fighters to talk to talk to me. This is where you come in: message me, tell me what kind of interview you'd like (we can do short and sweet, a passing question about your upcoming fight with whatever you want to say about it. We can do a lengthy interview that shines light on your fighter's character, whatever YOU want), and we'll get something worked out.

Danny Laverty gave Piotrek Duda aka Sean Watson a $5,000 bonus as well as the title of Smack Talker of the Month for June. What did Sean Watson do to earn this title? Well, he came to me wanting interviews. He also wrote his own little entry into the Tycoon Times which was published.

His article: http://mmatycoon.com/tycoontimes/tycoontimesstory.php?SID=3119

How to submit your own: http://mmatycoon.com/tycoontimes/tycoontimessubmit.php

If you're not confident that you can write something decent or you would like it peer edited, feel free to send it to me and specify that you're going to submit it to the Tycoon Times. If your article is published, tell me or tell Danny because that goes a long way towards Smack Talker of the Month.

But, you don't specifically have to “talk smack” to get the bonus. Just make it exciting. Write something that you think people would like to read and flesh out your fighter a bit.

Oh and when you need some threads, get some ORIGO Fight Wear over your heads. They've got shirts and socks, pants and jocks. They've got enough clothes to cover Gilbert Grape's mother and they're all quality. So stop reading my nonsense and get shopping.

• Upvote 1

ANNOUNCEMENT

Starting immediately I have decided to give you guys a little extra incentive to smack talk! The smack talk bonus, previously of $5,000 will be doubled to $10,000! I echo Mr Whisperer above, we'd like to hear anything you have to say, whether you want to tell us how you're going to grind your opponent down to dust or if you'd like to take part in an interview to put your fighter on show (PM Hoarse Whisperer (99363) in game. Interviews can be as long or as short as you want).

• Upvote 1

All that shit talking and Watson didn't even renew his contract. Hahaha.

I was surprised too. I was trying to get the hype train rolling early and it crumbled in my hands haha. He said he wants time off to train his striking and wants to come back at some undecided time based on his training. To quote DFW: We'll see what happens.

Yeah it's a shame, though a Barfot v Watson fight's not to be ruled out for the future!

Those are my two favorite (so far) managers to interview so I'd love to write more about that one.

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with RISSA LLC., ORIGO Fight Wear, and Favela Fight Gym, is proud to present FFC 9: Barfot vs Sagan. This was a mixed martial arts event held on July 5, 2014 at The Underground Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

This event featured the heavyweight championship of the world as two colossal contenders clashed. Undefeated Viking striker Magnus Barfot met the dominant wrestler, Sagan Tyson and fireworks ensued.

(Preliminary Card)

(Welterweight Division) David Souza versus Michael Jordan

(Outcome) Jordan stuffed an early takedown but did little else but defend Souza's aggressive onslought. When Souza scored a takedown on his fourth attempt, it seemed to spell the beginning of the end for the basketball star turned baseball washout turned basketball star turned mixed martial artist. However, after playing in Jordan's guard for the remainder of the round and failing to score with a submission, Souza opted to stand for some inexplicable reason. The second round was all defenses on display. The commentator announces that David Souza worked diligently on his takedown defense for this fight, just as Souza fails with yet another takedown attempt. Hmm. Nine minutes into the fight, Michael Jordan starts landing literally the only successful strikes of the night as he starts picking Souza apart. Despite this sudden resurgence from Jordan, Souza takes him down and submits him promptly in the third round. David Souza def. Michael Jordan via Submission (Kimura) at 4:35 of round 3.

(Expectation) David Souza wins and Michael Jordan goes back to basketball. Or baseball. Please, god, not baseball.

(Reality) David Souza wins. Baseball fans cringe in anticipation.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Royler Gracie versus Donatan Cleo

(Outcome) Mister Cleo clinches with Gracie immediately and Gracie takes him down with a lot of time to work. Surely this means that the brown belt, Gracie, is about to submit the white belt that hasn't wrestled a day of his life, right? The only person to try a submission in this little exchange is the white belt that has never wrestled before in his life, Donatan Cleo. Gracie escapes since Cleo was dominating him on the ground (wtf?). Gracie takes Cleo down and Cleo's closed guard causes a stalemate and prompts a referee standup. This is mind boggling, I'm being serious here. Gracie scores another takedown and Cleo goes for another submission move. If Cleo submits Gracie, I'm going to lose my shit writing this. Another referee standup and the two fighters grapple on the feet for the duration of the round. The ringside commentators so far have Cleo up two-to-nothing. Royler Gracie's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt from the Ronald McDonald Submissions n McNuggets school for children is beginning to come under scrutiny. The third comes and Gracie scores another takedown. Cleo goes for a submission and doesn't get it. Gracie goes for literally his first submission move of the entire fight and fails to submit the white belt that has never wrestled a day of his life. This is like watching Kimbo Slice out wrestle Minotauro Nogueira. Cleo clinches and holds Gracie against the cage and wins the fight. What the actual hell? Donatan Cleo def. Royler Gracie via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

(Expectation) Royler Gracie via submission unless something is goofed.

(Reality) Something is goofed.

(Welterweight Division) AD Tricks versus Egidiusz Nowakowski

(Outcome) AD Tricks did his best to prove my prediction wrong. He clinched with Nowakowski and was tagging him with brutal shots against the cage. For his part, Nowakowski tried to score with takedowns but found no love. Tricks scored a beautiful punching combination that rocked Nowakowski and seemed to be about to finish... Nowakowski broke free and Tricks chased him down, trying desperately to clinch with him again to bring the fight back into his world. Nowakowski scored with a takedown and won the fight with an immediate Americana submission. Egidiusz Nowakowski def. AD Tricks via Submission (Americana) at 2:41 of round 1.

(Expectation) Egidiusz Nowakowski via submission.
(Reality) Egidiusz Nowakowski via submission.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Kristan Maruyama versus Lukas Ioannou

(Outcome) Ioannou scored with an early takedown and the two grapplers went submission hold for submission hold in a battle on the ground. Ioannou stood and took Maruyama back down to the ground and the battle for submission continued. The second round was a repeat of the first with Ioannou dominating due to his superior wrestling but the two continued to swap submission attempts throughout the final round as well. Lukas Ioannou def. Kristan Maruyama via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

(Expectation) Lukas Ioannou due to superior grappling.

(Reality) Lukas Ioannou due to superior grappling.

(Heavyweight Division) Rodrigo Silva versus Techo Alaga

(Outcome) Rodrigo Silva dominated this fight with his wrestling and his Jiu-Jitsu. Credit has to go to Alaga who managed to be the first opponent to lose to Silva without being submitted. Rodrigo Silva def. Techno Alaga via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

(Expectation) Silva via first or second round submission.

(Reality) Silva vis judge's decision.

(Heavyweight Division) Jojiro Yamanaka versus Otis Kade

(Outcome) Jojiro Yamanaka dominated this fight. Early on he did a little lay-and-pray between punches landed but in the second round, he finished Kade like it was nothing. Jojiro Yamanaka def. Otis Kade via TKO (Strikes) at 1:36 of round 2.

(Expectation) Otis Kade due to experience.

(Reality) Jojiro Yamanaka due to superior skills.

(Heavyweight Division) Christophe Duggary versus Brian Schroeder

(Outcome) Duggary scored an early takedown but didn't do anything with it. The two fighters traded punches and opened cuts on each other. Duggary scored with another takedown and maintained top dominance throughout the remainder of the round. Schroeder came alive in the second round, landing power punches that dropped Duggary twice before putting him out for good with a final thunderous blow. Brian Schroeder def. Christophe Duggary via KO (Punch) at 1:36 of round 2.

(Expectation) Christophe via submission.

(Reality) Schroeder via knockout.

(Main Card, Top Fight)

(Middleweight Division) Alak Aksornpan versus Biggie Shackleton

(Outcome) Biggie scored an early takedown and held off the submission game of Aksornpan while scoring with ground and pound and top control. Aksornpan scored a takedown of his own but quickly thought better of it and got back to his feet. Shackleton seemed to fade near the end of the second round and Alak Aksornpan turned up the heat in response. Aksornpan was landing seemingly at will and dropped Shackleton with a nice combination and put him away with a superman punch. Alak Aksornpan def. Biggie Shackleton via KO (Superman Punch) at 4:27 of round 2.

(Expectation) Biggie takes this one via ground n pound.

(Reality) Alak Aksornpan via knockout.

(Co-Main Event)

(Welterweight Division) Kaz Yago versus Rusty Nales

(Outcome) The two fighters traded lightning quick strikes with nothing landing. Yago tried for a takedown but failed to get it. Nales tried for a takedown and landed himself in Yago's guard. Nales tried to control but Yago caught him trying to escape the position and locked in a tight armbar. Kaz Yago def. Rusty Nales via Submission (Armbar) at 0:38 of round 1.

(Expectation) Rusty Nales picks Kaz Yago apart with various skills for a decision.

(Reality) Yago via lightning quick submission.

(Main Event)

(Heavyweight Division, Campionship Fight) Magnus Barfot versus Sagan Tyson

(Outcome) This fight was really going to be a test of Barfot's striking against Tyson's wrestling. Sagan Tyson has a very stifling top game if he can get you to the ground but Barfot has shown incredible defenses against such things.

Round 1 – The two fighters were trading strikes and both seemed to be very light on their feet. Magnus Barfot was getting the better of the early striking exchanges and opened a cut on Sagan Tyson. Near the end of the round, Tyson went for a takedown and got it. Barfot threatened with submissions which kept Tyson from getting too comfortable on top.

Round 2 – Sagan Tyson tried to keep up with Barfot on his feet but the young Viking started to pick up the pace here. Barfot was landing with everything: straight punches, combinations, leg kicks, body kicks. Barfot dropped Tyson with an uppercut late in the round and Barfot is a finisher; when he smells blood, he surges. He landed another leg kick followed by a straight punch that put Tyson out for the night. Magnus Barfot def. Sagan Tyson via KO (Punch) at 4:09 of round 2 to become the new undisputed Fortitude FC heavyweight champion of the world!

(Expectation) Magnus Barfot via (T)KO.

(Reality) Magnus Barfot via KO.

Expectations versus Reality: 4-5-1. This means that I predicted four successfully, five went the opposite of how I expected, and one went the way I expected but not with the exactly predicted outcome. Technically speaking, I still predicted five correctly so I still win, damnit.

(Afterthought)

Knockout of the Night: Alak Aksornpan

Submission of the Night: Kaz Yago

Fight of the Night: Lukas Ioannou versus Kristan Maruyama

(Fun Facts)

1 – Magnus Barfot has now won ten straight fights via knockout or TKO.

2 – Kaz Yago has never won a fight via submission following a successful takedown. Every single time he has submitted an opponent, it is after the other guy takes HIM down. One of those times was due to the other guy dropping him with a powerful strike... the other guy dropped him, dove into his guard to finish him, and was promptly submitted instead. They never learn.

3- For the first time in his career, Rodrigo won without submitting his opponent. I don't know if he was just having an off night or if Alaga is just that good on the ground.

4 – Royler Gracie probably didn't know that he had a fight scheduled. Rumor has it that he expressed interest in a fight while a fight was already booked. So he showed up, stale game plan in hand, and got dominated. Who knows what the truth is, though.

5 – Regardless of the reasons, Donatan Cleo went for more submissions against the brown belt, Gracie, than Gracie himself went for in their fight. This was a strange fight to say the least.

Fortitude FC Records (as of 7/5/14)

Most Victories in Org: Rodrigo Silva (4), Tadeusz Ostrowski (4)

Most (T)KO victories: Valek Ralen (3)

Most SUB victories: Rodrigo Silva (3), Steve Orvel (3), Tadeusz Ostrowski (3)

Active Winning Streaks (3 or more)

Tadeusz Ostrowski (4) (135 lbs)

Rodrigo Silva (4) (265 lbs)

Kaz Yago (3) (170 lbs)

Steve Orvel (3) (205 lbs)

Valentin Ralek (3) (265 lbs)

Reigning Champions

Bantamweight – 135 lbs

Benny Caine (13-4) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Welterweight – 170 lbs

Grant Benton (11-7) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Middleweight – 185 lbs

Randall Flag (6-3) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Light-heavyweight – 205 lbs

Juan Mott (7-1) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Heavyweight – 265 lbs

Magnus Barfot (10-0) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Ben & Jerry's Weight – 265+ lbs

N/A

As always, I want to give a special shout out to the official clothing partner and long time sponsor of Fortitude FC so please put your wallets in the air for ORIGO Fight Wear. Because if you're not wearing ORIGO, we're going to light your bed on fire while you sleep on it.

Also, do you have a moment to talk about Favela Fight Gym? This is a local gym based here in Rio de Janeiro that is the official partner of Fortitude FC. This fine wine establishment is owned and managed by a very good man named Dan Milner. This gym is running weekly competitions that are only applicable for its members. These contests will reward payment refunds to make it affordable for everybody. Don't miss your chance at a little free training, guys.

FavelaFightGym.org This is the official site of Favela Fight Gym where you can get cool prizes and top training.

• Upvote 1

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with RISSA LLC., ORIGO Fight Wear, and Favela Fight Gym is proud to present FFC 10: Narushima vs Machida. This event will take place on July 12, 2014 at Hayashi's Lounge in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(Prologue)

This outstanding event features two devastating strikers in the main event as well as Fortitude FC champions Randall Flagg and Juan Mott defending their newly minted titles as well as several top contender bouts.

(Main Event)

(Light-heavyweight Division) Ryo Narushima (15-9) (2-0 FFC) versus Ryoto Machida (8-8-1) (2-0 FFC)

(Preview) Ryo Narushima is an experienced Muay Thai stylist that boasts one of the most devastating head kicks in Fortitude FC history. He is dangerous in the clinch, dangerous on his feet, and now showcasing a new reason to fear him on the ground. He will be facing the man nicknamed “The Dragon” but I personally have nicknamed “The Rock”, Ryoto Machida. For Machida, he has a more grueling style of fighting; he has an iron chin and uses constant pressure and aggression to wear on you. Ryo and Ryoto share a common opponent: RV Malapitan. Machida dominated Malapitan in their first meeting and then was consequently dominated by Malapitan in the rematch. Ryo Narushima wasted no time in clinching, kneeing, dropping, and submitting Malapitan in their lone meeting.

(Prediction) Ryo Narushima takes this one. He has more power and more ways to win.

[A closer look]

(Ryo Narushima)

Record: 15-9
Knockouts: 12

Submissions: 1

Style: Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Accomplishments: Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night

In this fight: He needs to use that clinch. Ryoto has shown a great weakness from that position and Narushima excels there. If you clinch with him, no can defend Ryo-san.

(Ryoto Machida)

Record: 8-8-1
Knockouts: 3

Style: Boxing

Accomplishments: Fight of the Night (x2)

In this fight: He wants to ride his bicycle and land effective shots from the outside. Ryo is a power puncher with a good gas tank but if Ryoto can land punches and avoid clinching, he can win this.

(Co-Main Event)

(Bantamweight Division) John Bzdunek (12-7) (1-2 FFC) versus Pawel Nastula (3-1) (2-1 FFC)

(Preview) John Bzdunek is the former HERITAGE and KOMMA bantamweight champion of the world. He has killer submissions, knockout power in his hands, and an outstanding chin on him to top it all off. His only weakness is higher level Jiu-Jitsu fighters which is right up Pawel's alley. Pawel Nastula is a pure Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner that started late in the game and has made a name for himself with his arm lock submissions. In their prior meeting, John Bzdunek defeated Pawel in under a minute.

(Prediction) And I think he will again here. They're simply two very different caliber of fighter.

(Main Card, Top Fight)

(Middleweight Division, Championship Fight) Randall Flagg© (6-3) (1-0 FFC) versus Carlos Villa Lobos (3-2) (N/A)

(Preview) The undisputed middleweight champion of the world, Randall Flagg is

(Prediction) I've got Carlos Villa Lobos scoring the upset win here due to his extremely high level grappling.

[A closer look]

(Randall Flagg)

Record: 6-3
Knockouts: 6

Style: Boxing, Dirty Boxing

Accomplishments: Fortitude FC Middleweight Champion, Fight of the Night (x3)

In this fight: He needs to keep this fight on the feet and land punches.

(Carlos Villa Lobos)

Record: 3-2
Knockouts: 0

Submissions: 2

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling

Accomplishments: Submission of the Night

In this fight: He needs to get this fight to the ground as quickly as possible and avoid getting into a boxing match with the champion.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Steve Orvel (9-6) (3-0 FFC) versus Banjo Sanjo (3-1) (2-1 FFC)

(Preview) Both Steve Orvel and Banjo Sanjo are Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belts that focus all of their efforts on submitting their opponents. Steve Orvel has a big edge in experience but has also been submitted twice in professional competition.

(Prediction) I'm giving it to Banjo Sanjo because, of the two of them, he hasn't been submitted.

(Light-heavyweight Division, Championship Fight) Juan Mott© (7-1) (2-0 FFC) versus George Pierre Hennard (6-3) (1-0 FFC)

(Preview) Two time light-heavyweight champion Juan Mott will attempt to defend his newest crown against the hard nosed grappler from Los Angeles. George Pierre Hennard is a tough wrestler that has never been knocked out in his professional career.

(Prediction)

[A closer look]

(Juan Mott)

Record: 7-1

Style: Muay Thai, Wrestling

Accomplishments: Fortitude FC Light-heavyweight Champion, Rio Grand Light-heavyweight Champion, Fight of the Night (x2), Knockout of the Night (x3)

In this fight: We've never seen George Pierre Hennard in the clinch so If I were Juan, I would want to bring the fight there, and incorporate some boxing from the outside as well. In a pure striking match, Juan takes this.

(George Pierre Hennard)

Record: 6-3
Knockouts: 0

Submissions: 6

Style: Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Accomplishments: QFC Light-heavyweight Tournament Champion

In this fight: He needs to use that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that pulled him through in his early matches and he needs to keep Mott on the ground at all costs. Juan Mott's lone defeat was to a brown belt via submission.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Chance Silver (5-7) (1-2 FFC) versus RV Malapitan (9-4) (0-1 FFC)

(Preview) Boxer/Wrestling fighter Chance Silver returns to the cage to take on the boxing standout RV Malapitan. RV has a lot of experience with the men involved in the main event. His boxing is some of the most devastating in the division.

(Prediction) Call me crazy but I think RV Malapitan neutralizes Silver on the ground and scores a late stoppage when the wrestler tires out.

(Heavyweight Division) Evan Horizon (5-3) (N/A) versus Molton Hope (2-3) (0-2)

(Preview) Evan “The Event” Horizon is an extremely well rounded striker that has most of his victories coming by way of knockout. He is under new management and looking to get his career back on track after going 2-2 in the BEEF league. Molton Hope is one of the most skilled fighters to not win a fight in FFC. His high level of striking, obvious talents on the ground, and incredible chin all make him a serious threat to anyone that he faces. Despite this, he has had a tough run of luck in his last three outings.

(Prediction) This fight is going the distance and I think Hope pulls it out by laying on a volume of strikes and by having an awesome chin.

(Heavyweight Division) Franklin Munchack (7-5) (N/A) versus Glenn Danzig (3-3) (1-1)

(Preview) Franklin Manchack is a former RISE title contender that began his career in the regional QFC shows. After a failed stint in the Forbidden Violence league, he is trying to make another go at it. He is an extremely high level Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt with some of the best wrestling in the company. Glenn Danzig is a powerhouse on his feet and is no slouch on the ground, either. In his most recent outing, Danzig was narrowly defeated by Sagan Tyson.

(Prediction) Franklin Manchack via domination on the ground.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Cc Cc* (5-2) (N/A) versus Gustavo Oliveira (1-1) (N/A)

(Preview) These two men are making their Fortitude FC fighting debut. CC is a Muay Thai fighter that started his career in QFC Tournament 330. After failing short against a fighter that is managed by the SAME person, he moved to the regular QFC regional circuit, putting together a record of 2-1 there. Gustavo Oliveira is a strong Jiu-Jitsu fighter that holds a blue belt. His Muay Thai is merely a formality.

(Prediction) CC via KO.

(Welterweight Division) Brody Macbeth (0-0) (N/A) versus Steven Josslin (1-4) (0-3 FFC)

(Preview) Brody Macbeth is an untested and unproven 25-year old boxer that is making his MMA debut. Despite having no positive record of combat experience to his name, he boasts that he is a former world champion and that he will hold a world title in MMA. Steven Josslin is a boxer and a wrestler that throws wild, flailing combinations on his feet and aggressively attacks his opponents on the ground.

(Prediction) Brody Macbeth via (T)KO.

*I've nicknamed Ccccccc Ccccccc to Cc Cc because I absolutely refuse to type that every single time. No. Not happening haha. I read his name and just stared for a solid minute before arriving at this conclusion.

(Epilogue)

Get out of bed and bang your head? Get some ORIGO threads. Seriously. If I don't start seeing some of you in ORIGO Fight Wear attire, I'm going to start hiring the local kids to jump you after the show when you're all tired from fighting and stuff.

• Upvote 1

Villa Lobos: "Nice preview indeed. Unfortunately the part where he was supposed to say a little bit more about the middleweight title fight disappeared... But I saw the part that said I was supposed to avoid the striking against Flagg. As you could see, I dominated him all the way. If you took a closer look, I avoided a lot of his punches and landed almost 100% of my strikes and they were good ones. I had no problem and it was great to debut capturing the belt. I learned a lot with my defeats and I'm sure that they made me a better fighter today. I might avenge them one day, but I don't really care. I want to keep my belt as long as I can."

"Btw, my friend and training partner Johann Bismark wanted to say hi to Mott. You see that 1 on his record? It was Bismark's work on his debut. Champion right there."

Villa Lobos: "Nice preview indeed. Unfortunately the part where he was supposed to say a little bit more about the middleweight title fight disappeared... But I saw the part that said I was supposed to avoid the striking against Flagg. As you could see, I dominated him all the way. If you took a closer look, I avoided a lot of his punches and landed almost 100% of my strikes and they were good ones. I had no problem and it was great to debut capturing the belt. I learned a lot with my defeats and I'm sure that they made me a better fighter today. I might avenge them one day, but I don't really care. I want to keep my belt as long as I can."

"Btw, my friend and training partner Johann Bismark wanted to say hi to Mott. You see that 1 on his record? It was Bismark's work on his debut. Champion right there."

I didn't notice that. I had a big ol' thing typed out too and absolutely no idea how it got deleted in the copy+paste process haha.

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with RISSA LLC., ORIGO Fight Wear, and Favela Fight Gym is proud to present FFC 10: Narushima vs Machida. This event took place at Hayashi's Lounge on July 12, 2014 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(Welterweight Division) Brody Macbeth (0-0) versus Steven Josslin (1-4)

(Outcome) This fight was pretty one-sided; Steven Josslin came out with his usual style of throwing rampant punching combinations and not really landing anything. I gave him some advice before the fight not to do that but he decided to go ahead anyways with it. Brody landed punches at will including a couple of counters before throwing a haymaker that put Josslin out. Brody Macbeth def. Steven Josslin via TKO (Strikes) at 0:40 of round 1.

(Expectation) Brody Macbeth via (T)KO.

(Reality) Brody Macbeth via TKO.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Cc Cc (5-2) versus Gustavo Oliveira (1-1)

(Outcome) Apparently all those Cs stand for clinchclinchclinchclinchclinch because that was all Cc wanted to do. Or maybe cut. Cc dominated this fight in the clinch, battering Oliveira with knees and elbows that mashed his face into a bloody mess. In the end, the doctor called off the fight. Cc Cc def. Gustavo Oliveira via TKO (Cut) at 3:31 of round 3.

(Expectation) CC via KO.

(Reality) CC via Doctor Stoppage.

(Heavyweight Division) Franklin Manchuck (7-5) versus Glenn Danzig (3-3)

(Outcome) Glenn Danzig completely shut down Franklin Manchuck in this fight. He avoided all of Manchuck's attempted attacks except for one leg kick. In the mean time, Glenn Danzig was cleanly out striking him before going for a couple of takedowns in the latter rounds. Glenn Danzig def. Franklin Manchuck via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26).

(Expectation) Manchuck via ground domination.

(Reality) Danzig via overall domination.

(Heavyweight Divisoon) Evan Horizon (5-3) versus Molton Hope (2-3)

(Outcome) Molton Hope came out very aggressive in his intent to trade strikes and damage Evan Horizon in the clinch. For his part, Horizon was landing effective strikes and a pair of takedowns that led to him doing even more damage on the ground. In the third round, Evan Horizon dropped Hope four times. Molton Hope has some heart, he tried to stay in the fight each time but the final time was no mere knockdown; it was a knockout. Evan Horizon def. Molton Hope via KO (Punch) at 2:41 of round 3.

(Expectation) Hope via decision.

(Reality) Horizon via KO.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Chance Silver (5-7) versus RV Malapitan (9-4)

(Outcome) Chance silver scored two takedowns and a ton of ground and pound in this fight. RV Malapitan was in it, trying to wrestle, but just couldn't keep the heavy handed Chance Silver off of him. Chance inevitably stopped him with brutal shots from the top position. Chance Silver def. RV Malapitan via TKO (Strikes) at 1:55 of round 2.

(Expectation) RV Malapitan via late stoppage.

(Reality) Chance Silver via early stoppage.

(Light-heavyweight Division, Championship bout) Juan Mott© (7-1) versus George Pierre Hennard (6-3)

(Outcome) This was a fight that started the way we all expected it and ended in a way that none of us predicted but everybody knew was a possibility.

Round 1 – Juan Mott came out pretty aggressively, landed strikes but was missing as well. Hennard was really telegraphing his takedown attempts and Mott was stuffing them pretty easily. GPH managed to get a takedown and started working his submission game. Mott really had no answer for the aggressive Jiu-Jitsu brown belt and paid for it with his arm. George Pierre Hennard def. Juan Mott via Submission (Armbar) at 4:58 of round 1 to become the new Fortitude FC light-heavyweight champion of the world!

(Expectation) Apparently I didn't post a prediction for this one and only just now noticed this. We'll call this one a freeby.

(Reality) George Pierre Hennard submits Juan Mott.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Steve Orvel (9-6) versus Banjo Sanjo (3-1)

(Outcome) Steve Orvel scored an early takedown and immediately went for a little submission spamming that stole him the fight. Sanjo Banjo maintained his record of never having been submitted but he wasn't aggressive enough to be in this fight. Steve Orvel def. Banjo Sanjo via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

(Expectation) Banjo Sanjo since he was never submitted prior to this fight.

(Reality) Steve Orvel via decision.

(Middleweight Division, Championship bout) Randall Flagg© (6-3) versus Carlos Villa Lobos (3-2)

(Outcome) This was a pretty clear domination from start to finish from the challenger. The champion really didn't have an answer for the aggressive ground game of Carlos Villa Lobos.

Round 1 – CVL scored a quick takedown and another when the champion managed to get back to his feet. Literally all that was happening was CVL rolling for submission after submission in a gross display of submission spamming.

Round 2 – Randall Flagg came out of the gate firing his guns but got taken down again. He managed to reverse and escape again but was immediately taken down and spammed all over again.

Round 3 – Flagg managed to keep this round mostly on the feet. He scored some shots and managed to stay out of danger for the most part. This was the one round that was scored for Randall thus far.

Round 4 – Carlos landed some shots on the feet in this round and ate some in response. Then, he scored another takedown, and rolled the champion around like a ragdoll for a while.

Round 5 – Villa Lobos scored a counter takedown right away and his submission spam technique paid off when he caught the champion, who had reversed him, with a triangle choke. Carlos Villa Lobos def. Randall Flagg via Submission (Triangle) at 1:56 of round 5 to become the new Fortitude FC middleweight champion of the world!

(Expectation) Carlos Villa Lobos via high level grappling.

(Reality) Carlos Villa Lobos via high level grappling.

(Bantamweight Division) John Bzdunek (12-7) versus Pawel Nastula (3-1)

(Outcome) Pawel Nastula tried to score a takedown right out of the gate but failed. John Bzdunek threw five punches, which landed, and knocked Nastula out on the fifth shot. That's all she wrote. John Bzdunek def. Pawel Nastula via KO (Punch) at 0:28 of round 1.

(Expectation) Johnny B. via quick stoppage again.

(Reality) John Bzdunek via quick stoppage. Again.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Ryo Narushima (15-9) versus Ryoto Machida (8-8-1)

(Outcome) Ryo Narushima absolutely out struck Ryoto Machida on the feet and in the clinch. In the clinch, Narushima landed an oscene amount of knees to the head and to the body of Ryoto Machida. Gotta give Machida credit, though, he stayed in there and took his beating. Ryo Narushima def. Ryoto Machida via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26).

(Expectation) Narushima via domination.

(Reality) Narushima via domination.

Knockout of the night: Evan Horizon

Submission of the Night: Carlos Villa Lobos

Fight of the Night: Ryo Narushima vs Ryoto Machida

Fortitude FC Records (As of 7/12/14)

Most Victories in Org: Steve Orvel (4), Tadeusz Ostrowski (4), Rodrigo Silva (4)

Most (T)KO victories: Valek Ralen (3)

Most SUB victories: Rodrigo Silva (3), Steve Orvel (3), Tadeusz Ostrowski (3)

Tadeusz Ostrowski (4) (135 lbs)

Steve Orvel (4) (205 lbs)

Kaz Yago (3) (170 lbs)

Ryo Narushima (3) (205 lbs)

Danny Glover (3) (170 lbs)

Reigning Champions

Bantamweight (135 lbs)

Benny Caine – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Welterweight (170 lbs)

Grant Benton – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Middleweight (185 lbs)

Carlos Villa Lobos (4-2) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Randall Flag (6-4) – Former Champion, No Defenses

Light-heavyweight (205 lbs)

George Pierre Hennard – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Juan Mott – Former Champion, No Defenses

Heavyweight (265 lbs)

Sagan Tyson – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

N/A

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with RISSA LLC. , Favera Fight Gym, and Ten Percent Laundry is proud to present FFC 11: Barbossa v Targaryen. This mixed martial arts event will take place on July 19, 2014 at Hayashi's Lounge in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(The Action)

(Heavyweight Division) Taco Bell (2-1) (0-1 FFC) versus George Waterson (0-2) (0-2 FFC)

(Preview) Taco Bell is a pure ground and pound stylist whereas George Waterson is a pure boxer. Both men are looking for their first win inside the Fortitude FC cage.

(Prediction) Taco Bell via cheesy gordita punch. His takedowns and wrestling will prove too much for his hungry foe.

(Heavyweight Division) Bork Laser (2-3) (1-2 FFC) versus Theodore Smith (0-4) (0-2 FFC)

(Preview) Bork Laser is a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with smothering top control and excellent submissions. He has only been defeated by the top boxers in the heavyweight division. Theodore Smith is a boxer that has absolutely zero ground skills whatsoever. He throws nothing but punching combinations and head kicks. I think Jobber has a replacement finally.

(Prediction) Bork Laser via immediate submission.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Monkey Business (3-0) (2-0 FFC) versus Babi Ala (1-0) (N/A)

(Preview) Monkey Business is a young Jiu-Jitsu purple belt from Dallas, Texas. All three of his victories have come via submission but he has a long way to go in his training before he jumps into the deep end. Babi Ala is a division newcomer who has only fought in the regional QFC scene. Ala uses smothering wrestling and clinch control to defeat opponents.

(Prediction) I think Babi takes this fight to the ground and some point and gets caught in a submission.

(Middleweight Division) Nicklas Porsin (3-0) (2-0) versus God Nope (0-4) (0-2)

(Preview) Much like Monkey Business, Nicklas Porsin is a powerhouse grappler. Unlike the aforementioned purple belt, Nicklas Porsin favors a strong top game and control as opposed to dangerous submissions. God Nope is a pure Muay Thai stylist who would be better suited fighting in the undercard of a K-1 show than fighting undefeated MMA fighters.

(Prediction) Nicklas via smothering top control and a submission finish.

(Middleweight Division) Luca Rinaldi (3-2) (1-1 FFC) versus Isaias Vasconcelos (1-1) (N/A)

(Preview) Luca Rinaldi is a catch wrestler that focuses on submitting foes. In his most recent outing, he defeated God Nope via submission. Isaias Vsconcelos is a wrestler as well but he focuses his style on ground and pound instead of submission grappling.

(Prediction) From the top or from the bottom, Luca Rinaldi is the favorite to win this one. You can't land ground and pound off of your back but you can submit a fool.

(Bantamweight Division) Tomas Kalnoky (8-4) (2-1 FFC) versus Haha Urajoke (9-7) (0-1)

(Preview) These experienced Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belts share a mutual opponent in reigning Fortitude FC champion Benny Caine; they both lost to him. Urajoke is the former HERITAGE Bantamweight champion who moved up to featherweight and never recovered.

(Prediction) Neither of these guys have a very solid record against other high level grapplers. That said, I give the edge to Tomas Kalnoky because of his advanced wrestling.

(Heavyweight Division) Sagan Tyson (11-6) (2-1 FFC) versus Thiago Santana De Oliveira (6-3) (N/A)

(Preview) Sagan Tyson is back, making his first appearance after his failed bid for the Fortitude FC heavyweight championship. He is an extremely well rounded fighter that will throw everything at you: punches, kicks, knees along the cage, and take you down to work his submission game. Thiago Santana is a very similar animal; he loves to stand and throw strikes on the feet but he holds no qualms with taking you down to submit you as well.

(Prediction) I'm going with Thiago here as I think he has more power in his hands and is more than capable of holding his own on the ground.

(Bantamweight Division) Raiymbek Batyr (2-1) (N/A) versus Tadeusz Ostrowski (5-0) (4-0 FFC)

(Preview) Raiymbek Batyr is a freestyle fighter that loves to clinch. Despite going for the occasional takedown, he prefers to stand and trade punches but he will bring it to you anywhere. Tadeusz Ostrowski is a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu brown belt that has finished every man that has stepped in the cage with him. He is currently tied with Steve Orvel and Rodrigo for most victories and most submission victories in Fortitude FC.

(Prediction) My old mantra is: anyone crazy enough to fight me is going to get my best. I never turn down a fight just because my opposition is overmatched. That said, I really don't see how Batyr can win this one unless he pulls out a clinch victory.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Peter James (6-5) (N/A) versus Royler Gracie (6-1) (1-1 FFC)

(Preview) Peter James is a boxer with very little grappling experience, yet has had a little success avoiding danger on the ground. His biggest foil has been power punchers messing with his consciousness. Royler Gracie is a pure Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner; he won't be trying to knock James out. Royler Gracie was expected to be the big deal in the super-heavyweight division but had his momentum stopped when he was dominated on the ground in a rematch with white belt striker Donatan Cleo.

(Prediction) Royler Gracie takes this one easy.

(Heavyweight Division) Xavier Barbossa (6-2) (2-1 FFC) versus Daemon Targaryen () ()

(Preview) Both of these men were considered the top heavyweight fighters in the division at one point. The two met with Valentin Ralek on their own time and both were defeated in the clinch when Ralek pinned them against the cage and opened horrible lacerations, forcing doctor stoppages on both accounts. After his disappointing loss against Ralek, Xavier Barbossa went on the record stating that he would like a fight with Targaryen to determine who the top knockout artist is. Targaryen happily accepted.

(Prediction) In a pure boxing match, it's hard to say who would win this fight. However, this fight will not take place at a striking distance; no, this fight is going to take place entirely in the clinch where I don't think Barbossa has improved all that much. Targaryen loves fighting close, along the cage, and I think he could score a TKO finish from that position.

[A closer look]

(Xavier Barbossa)

Record: 6-2

In this fight: Barbossa needs to stay away and put combinations together. Neither of them have been knocked out or even rocked but he could win this one with damaging shots from the distance. Plenty of body shots wouldn't hurt.

(Daemon Targaryen)

Record: 7-1

In this fight: Clinch, clinch, clinch. In the clinch, Barbossa is like a fish not only out of water but thrown onto a skillet with butter.

Our event partner, ORIGO Fight Wear has changed management and is now known as Ten Percent Laundry. I'm sure you can figure out what their sales pitch is. If you need laundry done, bring your old ORIGO Fight Wear apparel to them and they'll wash it for you. Wait, what do you mean "not that kind of laundry"?

Check it out: http://mmatycoon.com/clothingpublic.php?cid=4251

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/20/20w23.jpg

Peter James

"Does anyone know if Gracie's woken up yet? It's been a couple of hours but daamn, that was one hell of a punch! Who's brave enough to face the KO Artist next?"

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with RISSA LLC., Favela Fight Gym, and Ten Percent Laundry* is proud to present: FFC 11: Barbossa v Targaryen. This mixed martial arts event took place on July 19, 2014 at Hayashi's Lounge in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(The Action)

(Heavyweight Division) Taco Bell versus George Waterson

(Outcome) George Waterson clinched with Bell, broke the clinch, stuffed a takedown, and then succumbed to a takedown. Taco Bell went to work with his ground and pound, hammering Waterson until the referee was forced to step in and rescue him from further harm. Taco Bell def. George Waterson via TKO (Strikes) at 4:34 of round 1.

(Expectation) Taco Bell via cheesy gordita punch.

(Reality) Taco Bell via fire sauce ground and pound.

(Heavyweight Division) Bork Laser versus Theodore Smith

(Outcome) Bork Laser was eating a serious of punching combinations and head kicks from the boxing specialist but scored a late takedown and finished it with ground and pound late in the first round. Bork Laser def. Theodore Smith via TKO (Strikes) at 4:51 of round 1.

(Expectation) Bork Laser via quick submission.

(Reality) Bork Laser via GnP.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Monkey Business versus Babi Ala

(Outcome) Babi Ala tried very hard to score a takedown to make my prediction come true but couldn't pull it off. So, out of the kindness of his heart, Monkey Business took Ala down and submitted him quickly. Monkey Business def. Babi Ala via Submission (Kneebar) at 0:47 of round 1.

(Expectation) Business via submission, following a Babi takedown.

(Reality) Business via submission.

(Middleweight Division) Nicklas Porsin versus God Nope

(Outcome) Nicklas Porsin took God Nope down and cranked his arm until he tapped out. Pretty straight forward. God Nope missed with a couple of head kicks, got countered, got submitted. Nicklas Porsin def. God Nope via Submission (Kimura) at 0:59 of round 1.

(Expectation) Nicklas via top control + submission.

(Reality) Nicklas Porsin via submission.

(Middleweight Division) Luca Rinaldi versus Isaias Vasconcelos

(Outcome) Luca Rinaldi tried very hard to score a submission but was out grappled by Isaias Vascencelos in the clinch and with the takedowns. Isais took him down and submitted him on his fourth attempt. Isaias Vasconcelos def. Luca Rinaldi via Submission (Guillotine) at 2:59 of round 1.

(Expectation) Lucas Rinaldi via submission.

(Reality) Isais Vasconcelos via submission.

(Bantamweight Division) Tomas Kalnoky versus Haha Urajoke

(Outcome) This was a fight filled with sloppy standup and submission spamming. Kalnoky stole the show with his ground and pound, scoring points throughout his submission attempts. Tomas Kalnoky def. Haha Urajoke via Unanimous Decision.

(Expectation) Tomas Kalnoky due to his superior grappling.

(Reality) Tomas Kalnoky due to his superior grappling.

(Heavyweight Division) Sagan Tyson versus Thiago Santana De Oliveira

(Outcome) Sagan Tyson attempted his usual style of throwing a variety of strikes and mixing in takedowns. He managed to get Thiago to the ground but neither man is a slouch in grappling; it was a stalemate there. On the feet, however, Thiago lit Sagan up on the feet and eventually finished him with a flurry of strikes late in the second round. Thiago Santana De Oliveira def. Sagan Tyson via TKO (Strikes) at 4:44 of round 2.

(Expectation) Thiago due to his superior fire power.

(Reality) Thiago due to his superior fire power.

(Bantamweight Division) Raiymbek Batyr versus Tadeusz Ostrowski

(Outcome) Ostrowski took Batyr down immediatley and submitted him on the fourth try. Tadeusz Ostrowski def. Raiymbek Batyr via Submission (Kimura) at 0:39 of round 1.

(Expectation) Tadeusz Ostrowski due to being the superior fighter.

(Reality) Tadeusz Ostrowski due to being the superior fighter.

(Super-heavyweight Division) Peter James versus Royler Gracie

(Outcome) Royer Gracie just couldn't get James to the ground. The standup of Peter James was on full display as he landed punching combinations and straight shots down the middle before knocking Royler Gracie with a straight left on the button. Peter James def. Royler Gracie via KO (Punch) at 0:33 of round 1.

(Expectation) Royler Gracie via cakewalk.

(Reality) Peter James via icing on the cake. I really need to stop with the food puns.

(Heavyweight Division) Xavier Barbossa versus Daemon Targaryen

(Outcome) Wow! These two sluggers traded heavy leather immediately in the center of the cage, slipping punches and landing blows. They went tit-for-tat with no hint of grappling along the cage from Targaryen. It was Barbossa that dropped Targaryen with a meat bomb and finished him with a follow-up. Xavier Barbossa def. Daemon Targaryen via KO (Punch) at 1:59 of round 1.

(Expectation) Daemon Targaryen via clinchrape.

(Reality) Xavier Barbossa via fatality.

(Fun Facts)

1. After defeating Babi Ala, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Monkey Business gave a special shout out to Valhalla Clothing.

2. After defeating Raiymbek Batyr, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu specialist Tadeusz Ostrowski gave a special message to Sparta Fightware.

3. This is the second time in two fights that Royler Gracie has been defeated by an opponent with virtually no grappling experience whatsoever.

4. This was the first time that Daemon Targaryen had ever been stopped by strikes.

Fortitude FC Records (As of 7/20/14)

Most Victories in Org: Tadeusz Ostrowski (5), Steve Orvel (4), Rodrigo Silva (4)

Most (T)KO victories: Xavier Barbossa (3), Valek Ralen (3)

Most SUB victories: Tadeusz Ostrowski (4), Rodrigo Silva (3), Steve Orvel (3)

Tadeusz Ostrowski (5) (135 lbs)

Steve Orvel (4) (205 lbs)

Kaz Yago (3) (170 lbs)

Danny Glover (3) (170 lbs)

Monkey Business (3) (265+ lbs)

Nicklas Porsin (3) (185 lbs)

Reigning Champions

Bantamweight (135 lbs)

Welterweight (170 lbs)

Middleweight (185 lbs)

Carlos Villa Lobos – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Randall Flag – Former Champion, No Defenses

Heavyweight (265 lbs)

Magnus Barfot** – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

N/A

*ORIGO Fight Wear, the company that I pushed so hard on you, has been bought out and is now known as Ten Percent Laundry.

**Don't do drugs, kids.

• Upvote 1

Fortitude FC, in conjunction with RISSA LLC., Favera Fight Gym, and 10 Percent Laundry is proud to present FFC 12: Ralek v Silva on July 26, 2014 at the Flamengo Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(The Action)

(Bantamweight Division) Damian Kazimierczak versus Ray Wolfe

(Outcome) Damian Kazimierczak came out extremely aggressive; he threw punches and kicks at a wild pace, looking to land anything, anywhere. He scored a takedown early that led to a little submission spamming, compliments of Ray Wolfe. Kazimierczak returned fire with submission attempts of his own and scored on his third attempt. Damian Kazimierczak def. Ray Wolfe via Submission (Guillotine) at 4:19 of round 1.

(Welterweight Division) David Souza versus AD Tricks

(Outcome) AD Tricks was relentless in his attempts to clinch. It was the virtually the only thing that he did outside of the actual time spent in the clinch. David Souza was hunting for takedowns and AD Tricks was trying to keep the fight against the cage. AD Tricks def. David Souza via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

(Bantamweight Division) Pawel Nastula versus Eric Sonnen

(Outcome) Nastula immediately took Sonnen down. While Sonnen tried to work his grappling and advance his position, Nastula caught him in a Kimura. Pawel Nastula def. Eric Sonnen via Submission (Kimura) at 0:32 of round 1.

(Welterweight Division) Brody Macbeth versus Namba Babakla

(Outcome) Brody Macbeth landed shots from the outside early as Namba Babakla tried fruitlessly for a takedown. At about a minute and a half in, Namba found his takedown but did nothing with it. The referee stood the fighters up and a game of cat-and-mouse not unlike Kimbo and Rampage's bull fighting routine transpired; Brody picking his shots from the outside, Namba diving in for takedowns and hitting air. There was more of the same in the second round until Brody rocked Babakla with a straight shot. Babakla's heart was on full display as he stayed in there. In the third round, Brody found the knockout he was seeking. Brody Macbeth def. Namba Babakla via KO (Punches) at 2:55 of round 3.

(Welterweight Division) Vasilko Nikolaevich versus Zesbis Silva

(Outcome) This fight turned out to be a slug fest; the two fighters traded shots at a distance but Nikolaevich found success using his wrestling. He was able to clinch with Silva and take him down twice; the combination may have won him this fight. Vasilko Nikolaevich def. Zesbis Silva via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

(Welterweight Division) Danny Glover versus Egidiusz Nowakowski

(Outcome) This was one of those fights where they tell you not to blink or you'll miss it. Danny Glover landed quickly and accurately with his patented power punches straight down the middle. The walkouts took longer than this nine second beat down. Danny Glover def. Egidiusz Nowakowski via TKO (Strikes) at 0:09 of round 1.

(Light-heavyweight Division) Bryce Reynolds versus Kyle Babcock

(Outcome) Bryce Reynolds took Kyle Babcock to the ground immediately and the two purple belts commenced a tirade of submission attempt after submission attempt. Bryce found himself advancing position more frequently than Kyle which led him to his inevitable submission victory. Bryce Reynolds def. Kyle Babcock via Submission (Arm Triangle) at 4:57 of round 1.

(Heavyweight Division) Diego Sanchez versus Roger Howlingate

(Outcome)

Round 1 – This was the fourth consecutive one-sided beat downs that culminated in Diego Sanchez being brutally knocked out in the opening minute of the fight. To be fair, Sanchez has been fighting some killers but he hasn't landed a single takedown in four consecutive fights. However, Roger Howlingate has been on fire in his last two showings. This is a guy that lost his first two FFC showings by two first round defeats but seems to be putting it all together. Roger Howlingate def. Diego Sanchez via KO (Punch) at 0:15 of round 1.

(Middleweight Division) Grey Wolf versus Biggie Shackleton

(Outcome)

Round 1 – Despite landing three takedowns here in the first round, it was Grey Wolf going for submissions off of his back. Grey Wolf was able to advance position, reverse, and render the few successful ground strikes of Shackleton to be obsolete.

Round 2 – Grey Wolf came out with his usual aggression here in the second, knocking Biggie Shackleton silly with power punches. Shackleton was on rubbery legs early and Wolf sensed he was breaking him. Grey finally dropped him with a big shot and followed him to the ground to force a referee stoppage. Grey Wolf def. Biggie Shackleton via TKO (Punches) at 0:28 of round 2.

(Heavyweight Division) Valentin Ralek versus Rodrigo Silva

(Outcome)

Round 1 – Rodrigo Silva clinched early with the Muay Thai practitioner which I didn't see coming. Ralek started teeing off with body punches and his patented hellbows which seemed to break Silva early. Ralek started teeing off with elbows at will which battered Silva and bloodied him. Sensing the end was near, Ralek swarmed and finished Silva. Valentin Ralek def. Rodrigo Silva via TKO (Strikes) at 0:45 of round 1.

Fortitude FC Records (As of 7/26/14)

Most Victories in Org: Tadeusz Ostrowski (5), Steve Orvel (4), Rodrigo Silva (4), Valentin Ralek (4)

Most (T)KO victories: Valek Ralen (4), Xavier Barbossa (3)

Most SUB victories: Tadeusz Ostrowski (4), Rodrigo Silva (3), Steve Orvel (3), Pawel Nastula (3)

Tadeusz Ostrowski (5) (135 lbs)

Valentin Ralek (4) (265 lbs)

Steve Orvel (4) (205 lbs) *

Kaz Yago (3) (170 lbs)

Monkey Business (3) (265+ lbs)

Nicklas Porsin (3) (185 lbs)

*Steve Orvel has not competed since 7/12 and seems to be idle.

Reigning Champions

Bantamweight (135 lbs)

Welterweight (170 lbs)

Middleweight (185 lbs)

Carlos Villa Lobos (4-2) – Reigning Champion, No Defenses

Randall Flag (6-4) – Former Champion, No Defenses

Heavyweight (265 lbs)