Optional Primary's

Rambo

Selective Primary's or not?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

The way I see it re: flavor text: Judo and most kinds of wrestling have mostly the same takedowns, and I doubt many people would take offense if English flavor text was used for the takedowns, as it's common for MMA commentators to do the same anyways. If "martial arts" was implemented as opposed to, say, Karate, we wouldn't need to call front kicks Mae Geri and round kicks Mawashi Geri in the flavor text either. In general, I don't think I agree with you here.

Also, I totally want a wrestling\sambo GnP fighter and a Judo\MT clinch dude.

flavor text needed IMHO. this game's fun (for me, obvious) resides in my possibility to see these guys a real guys, their fights as real fightsa and so on... flavor would help definitely

flavor text needed IMHO. this game's fun (for me, obvious) resides in my possibility to see these guys a real guys, their fights as real fightsa and so on... flavor would help definitely

Uhm, his point was that in mma they have generalized terms such as axe kick, front kick, push kick etc, and don't call it based on the specific background of the figher.

Uhm, his point was that in mma they have generalized terms such as axe kick, front kick, push kick etc, and don't call it based on the specific background of the figher.

Yeah, I think these ideas two should meet in the middle of the way. What I am stating is that the "takedown" message should be more flavored: Judo hip throw, Surplace, inside leg sweep etc.

Sure I'd like to read "z manages to gain a perfect hold on y and darts in with a powerful harai goshi" or "cage working against the takedown here but, wait, z comes out with a beauty of ko uchi gari to take y off balance and land in half guard". but I agree it might take a lot and maybe we should stick to some more friendly discrimination about the type of takedown.

Yeah, I think these ideas two should meet in the middle of the way. What I am stating is that the "takedown" message should be more flavored: Judo hip throw, Surplace, inside leg sweep etc.

Sure I'd like to read "z manages to gain a perfect hold on y and darts in with a powerful harai goshi" or "cage working against the takedown here but, wait, z comes out with a beauty of ko uchi gari to take y off balance and land in half guard". but I agree it might take a lot and maybe we should stick to some more friendly discrimination about the type of takedown.

I disagree with what you have said. Admittedly I only watch/watched UFC, WEC, BAMMA and Strikeforce but I have rarely heard that type of commentary.

Whilst keeping the game realistic you do not want to make newcomers to MMA feel unwelcome.

I disagree with what you have said. Admittedly I only watch/watched UFC, WEC, BAMMA and Strikeforce but I have rarely heard that type of commentary.

Whilst keeping the game realistic you do not want to make newcomers to MMA feel unwelcome.

It widely depes on having a talent in the broadcast team or not. in ny country UFC comments are made with a talent side by side with the broadcaster and the kind of flavor widely depends on whichi background he has. anyway, as I wrote, it would be fair not having the move perfectly named in the original language as long as you are able to understand the dynamics: I'd like to know if a takedown is a hip throw, a single leg, a leg sweep, a souplex. if a kick is a side, rear, spinning etc. it would be quite enough for me

Voted a yes. Should be very fun and I hope there's a lot of style to choose from...although I can't really think of many styles that are useful in MMA...

I agree, additional points into secondaries instead of coefficients - easier to implement and doesn't penalize fighters with higher skill pool.

that's nice IMO but needs clear thought not to place extra points.... pointlessly!

that's nice IMO but needs clear thought not to place extra points.... pointlessly!

yeah for sure i think if this gets accepted a vote should take place or something.

• 2 weeks later...
I voted no, but it was more of a 'not now'. I think there are plenty of current things that need fixing before a major overhaul like this gets worked on.
I'm in this category.

I still want profitable, 12 coach gyms first.

I voted no, but it was more of a 'not now'. I think there are plenty of current things that need fixing before a major overhaul like this gets worked on.

The question in the poll is that is it a good idea. I also think that there's tons of other things to improve, but I still voted yes because I would like to see optional primarys at some point.

I think that we should vote yes if we want to see this at some point. It would be kind of silly to put up a poll after every improvement and ask if players think that now is the right time for this.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

One thing = existing fighters should be able to chose/change it, just like the "aptitude"!

You would think it'd be pretty easy. But maybe it's a complete system overhaul. I know nothin about programming but look forward to the day where we'll be able to choose primary's like this.

I started after this thread had died, so glad its been restored to prominence. I think now is the perfect time to have this idea fresh in Mikes mind to see how feasible it is

With the fight engine changes, which seems to encourage mixing it up, it would be so much more tactical if the fighters were so different then even if the tactics are the same both sides it would still be a coin flip due to the styles

Also Mike has been noted as saying many times that he brought in tickers to promote diversity, and the 4 other options would re enforce that. At the minute, if there are gonna be 2 primaries as Sensational then there are 6 possible combinations with certain ones that aren't as effective which again narrows it down. If the changes were brought in then there would be 90 possible combinations (could be a little off there though as I can't be bothered thinking so that was an off the top of my head calculation)

Either way it would leave it so your fighter can truly specialize in certain area and be more effective that an opponent with higher skills in certain situations meaning styles and sliders would matter as much as skill level, so there's always a chance to win if you're smart

Probably be an absolute bitch to code though and would look like a total overhaul of the game, so not holding breath but its definitely a leap in the right direction at some point down the line

While its a huge overhaul to the way the game works I could see it happen sometime down the line, there is a lot to be doing now which Mike is sorting but if we ever get to a point where things are settled and running smoothly and all the things Mike has mentioned before (housing is implimented, doctors up and running, etc etc) is done then I would love to see Mike start work on this sort of change.

• Upvote 1

"Master of Sports in Sambo"

"Spets Naz military background"..?

Of course even the walls of Mike's toilet know I am for it so I can only say +1.

I think Mannetosen is right when he says we don't need the original Japanese or Thai for the moves, but maybe TD should be described a bit more: a leg sweep, hip throw, German Souplex? it could let us visualize better our guys' fight style.