Kenny Florian?

Ikkitakeda

Exactly my point you have to go by who his competition was then and not who they are now. Like i said earlier if we did this than the "legends" of the sport are terrible. The sport evolves. Case in point Kenny Florian was a great a fighter and never truly got the respect he deserved. More than likely due to never getting a title.

Well yeah I just did take in count that he said they where never in their prime but when you look at their records they where at the top of their prime when they did fight Kenny.

Well lets look at some statistics.

Din Thomas - at the time when they did fought he was 23-6 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC at that moment. It was his second run in UFC first time when he was in UFC he left with W over Matt Serra. Well we can consider at that point if he would win Kenny its more than possible that his next fight would be a title fight.

Joe Lauzon - at the point when they did fought he was 16-4 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC.
Roger Huerta - at the point when they did fought he was 20-1 in MMA and 7-0 in UFC. Before he lost to Kenny he was the hottest prospect out there and would 100% get a title shot if he won that fight.
Takanori Gomi - at the point when they did fought he was 31-5 in MMA and 0-0 in UFC it was his first fight in UFC he was coming as a hot prospect from Japan but we all know what happened to him after he faced Kenny.

Diego Nunes - at the point when they did fought he was 16-1 in MMA and 1-0 in UFC. At this point he was not so much know but also a good prospect. One of the guys of course you cant count as a big win for Kenny but still not a bad competition.

lol. did you watch mma back then?

Huerta was a spoon fed prospect because the UFC was hell bent on getting Mexicans into mma. He was only a top prospect to casuals. Never beat anyone of note besides Guida. If you take Guida out, his UFC wins have a combined record of 3-18 in the UFC.

Gomi was a shot fighter years before he got to the UFC, his heyday was mid 2000s. No one who watches mma called him a "hot prospect" right before his UFC debut.

Din Thomas was another guy who was well past his prime when he fought Florian. Great fighter in his day and a good win, but not a top opponent since he was old and wasnt at peak levels any longer.

Other then a win over Assuncao in the WEC, Nunes did little of note once he left the regional Brazil scene. 3-3 in the UFC, beat an old Mike Thomas Brown and Gamburyan.

Lauzon was a decent journeyman, but ive never heard anyone say he was a top fighter or name him as a great win. Looking back over his record, I'd elevate him over Guida in terms of opponent respectability even though Guida just KO'ed him days ago.

Looking back at his record actually makes me downgrade my opinion of Florian a little more. Stevenson was the only top level fighter he beat while he was in his prime.

• Upvote 1

lol. did you watch mma back then?

Huerta was a spoon fed prospect because the UFC was hell bent on getting Mexicans into mma. He was only a top prospect to casuals. Never beat anyone of note besides Guida. If you take Guida out, his UFC wins have a combined record of 3-18 in the UFC.

Gomi was a shot fighter years before he got to the UFC, his heyday was mid 2000s. No one who watches mma called him a "hot prospect" right before his UFC debut.

Din Thomas was another guy who was well past his prime when he fought Florian. Great fighter in his day and a good win, but not a top opponent since he was old and wasnt at peak levels any longer.

Other then a win over Assuncao in the WEC, Nunes did little of note once he left the regional Brazil scene. 3-3 in the UFC, beat an old Mike Thomas Brown and Gamburyan.

Lauzon was a decent journeyman, but ive never heard anyone say he was a top fighter or name him as a great win. Looking back over his record, I'd elevate him over Guida in terms of opponent respectability even though Guida just KO'ed him days ago.

Looking back at his record actually makes me downgrade my opinion of Florian a little more. Stevenson was the only top level fighter he beat while he was in his prime.

Well lets start with that I was watching MMA back then not as much as I am doing it now but I knew who these guys where.

Huerta was fighting who he was fighting like you mentioned before it was 2007 the UFC rosters wasnt so stacked as they are now and the 3-18 records are all made after their fights.

If we talk about Gomi if we believe statistics he was actually ranked number 1 in the world at the time they did fight http://www.fightmatrix.com/historical-mma-rankings/generated-historical-rankings/?Issue=72&Division=5

How was Din past his prime? He left the UFC with W over Matt Serra and in his second run he was on 3 fight winning streak over the guy who are still in the UFC and doing good like Jeremy Stephnes and Clay Guida. He wins 3 top guys in the division and before he fights Kenny he loses his prime?

Well lets say Nunes wasnt top fighter but still he was something you dont take easy.

Lauzon is a good win because he is still in the UFC even 10 years after that.

This Kenny Florini guy didn’t fight Coner therefore he’s not the goat

McNugget isn’t even the goat, goats win their title defenses instead of not having them at all while holding divisions up.

McNugget isn’t even the goat, goats win their title defenses instead of not having them at all while holding divisions up.

CASUAL FAN ALERT. Please watch MMA and understand that it's not all about defending belts. It's all about team. And Coner has GOD LOBOV in his team so Coner is automatically a goat. Plus he won against Mayweather in my opinion because Floyd was clearly tapping.

actually im pretty sure conor mcgregor is one of the best mma fighters of all time, not a joke.

Exactly, Manny Tosser is a true MMA fan not a casual

actually im pretty sure conor mcgregor is one of the best mma fighters of all time, not a joke.

I am pretty sure you are wrong. One of the best? He has striking and that is it. He has bad wrestling, terrible bjj, poor conditioning, and when he gets tired he proves he doesn't have heart/mental stamina as he tends to quit at that point. Far from the best.

I am pretty sure you are wrong. One of the best? He has striking and that is it. He has bad wrestling, terrible bjj, poor conditioning, and when he gets tired he proves he doesn't have heart/mental stamina as he tends to quit at that point. Far from the best.

Ok I'm serious now. I'm not a Conor fan, nor do I believe he is the best, however, he's definetly close to being best. He won against Chad Mendes (who's a damn great wrestler), he's survived against Diaz (when he wasn't tired). He does have a problem with his conditioning I'll give you that. You can't say he has no heart because he gets tired. When you're physically tired no amount of heart will give you energy. He didn't tap because of strikes, he didn't quit because of injuries or a weak choke. He tapped because Diaz slipped in a really really nice choke and he just lost that night. If he didn't have heart he would've said no to the Diaz rematch.

Ok I'm serious now. I'm not a Conor fan, nor do I believe he is the best, however, he's definetly close to being best. He won against Chad Mendes (who's a damn great wrestler), he's survived against Diaz (when he wasn't tired). He does have a problem with his conditioning I'll give you that. You can't say he has no heart because he gets tired. When you're physically tired no amount of heart will give you energy. He didn't tap because of strikes, he didn't quit because of injuries or a weak choke. He tapped because Diaz slipped in a really really nice choke and he just lost that night. If he didn't have heart he would've said no to the Diaz rematch.

When the fighter admits himself that when he gets and he mentally breaks yes I can say that. Yes he beat Chad Mendes but how did he do it? He knocked him out. When did he knock him out? At the beginning of a round when Chad hadn't taken him down. Before the knock out he was being bullied with wrestling. So not sure why you guys keep saying how does he have bad wrestling when he beat Chad Mendes. He was totally outclassed in wrestling in that match. That would be like me saying I submitted Floyd Mayweather I must be a great boxer. It doesn't compute for an obvious reason. And he tapped because he got rocked and went for a takedown and got choked out. He said yes to the rematch because he is all about the money and knows if he didn't fight him again it would hurt his marketability. He also beat him up in the first round so he knew he had a chance. It wasn't like he got scorched and said I will fight him again. So that doesn't show heart. Also heart wouldn't have anything to do with choosing to fight a guy again or not. Your heart isn't being tested signing on a dotted line for money. It is tested when you get drug into deep waters or find yourself in a bad spot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He did sweep nate though. And he knocked out Chad late in the round. This is the same Chad that was coming off a streak of murking everyone and then having a ridiculous war with jose aldo.

Again what does knocking out Chad Mendes have to do with Conor not having bad wrestling? Again If I submit a world class boxer doesn't mean I am a great boxer. Also if memory serves me correct Mendes took the fight on short notice with a little less than 3 weeks to prepare. Which meant basically doing cardio to make weight as he wasn't training for any fight at the time; whereas most fighters when they take a fight on short notice are training for a different fight or some type of event that they had to be in shape for already. Mendes at the time was relaxing and deer hunting.

Conor is overrated and it IS about defending the title, true Champions defend their belts and don't hold up divisions to go to other sports and don't call me a casual fan.

• Upvote 2

Again what does knocking out Chad Mendes have to do with Conor not having bad wrestling? Again If I submit a world class boxer doesn't mean I am a great boxer. Also if memory serves me correct Mendes took the fight on short notice with a little less than 3 weeks to prepare. Which meant basically doing cardio to make weight as he wasn't training for any fight at the time; whereas most fighters when they take a fight on short notice are training for a different fight or some type of event that they had to be in shape for already. Mendes at the time was relaxing and deer hunting.

I never said anything about his wrestling, but claiming that conor koed him early in a round where he hadnt been taken down yet is just wrong.

Mendes wasnt in top shape and conor had a knee injury. Even so, the guy who had just given aldo all he could handle standing got beat up on the feet. The same guy who had just iced ricardo lamas. If this was just about mendes being in poor shape conor wouldnt have fucked up poirier, eddie and aldo like that.

We have no way of knowing what conors wrestling is like tbh. Its probably ok but nothing special. All signs point to his jiujitsu being pretty good though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I never said anything about his wrestling, but claiming that conor koed him early in a round where he hadnt been taken down yet is just wrong.

Mendes wasnt in top shape and conor had a knee injury. Even so, the guy who had just given aldo all he could handle standing got beat up on the feet. The same guy who had just iced ricardo lamas. If this was just about mendes being in poor shape conor wouldnt have fucked up poirier, eddie and aldo like that.

We have no way of knowing what conors wrestling is like tbh. Its probably ok but nothing special. All signs point to his jiujitsu being pretty good though.

Conor didn't f up Aldo it was one shot. It's called getting caught. It can happen to any fighter.