(Nominations) Fighter Of The Year 2017

bjornmma1

Personally i think Burns probably deserves the award, he had the better overall year than Menace Defoe (268296), however his loss in the last fight puts his award for FOY in jeopardy. But for me to give the award to a fighter that spent half the year not fighting is unfair and lets not forget that Puno had a poor run in BJJ, consistency has to count for something and Burns had the longer run against arguably tougher competition. Either way, it is between Burns and Puno for sure, i go for Burns,

I do not think any of the rest truly deserve a nomination, the competition at the lower classes generally excludes all the 145-135 type fighters, those divisions are weight more thin, Doubdtfire or Viktor are the best little guys. The 170lbs division was very up and down the whole year with Lao Shin "To Chin" (256055) being the most consistent and although Kaunismieli is #1 now, beating 3 fighters 7 times means his record would be just 7-3-1 without them, if he loses to Saul "Slip The Jab" Goodman (271572) i would argue that Goodman deserves the #1 185lbs fighter award, even though he was never #1 in game. If this was an award given out in October, Gerbert Bryant (241590) would have a strong case, he was #2 in the game from July till mid October, second to Puno at the time when he was not even actively fighting but since mid October he lost 3 times, so that puts him out of the discussion.

• Upvote 2

Personally i think Burns probably deserves the award, he had the better overall year than Menace Defoe (268296), however his loss in the last fight puts his award for FOY in jeopardy. But for me to give the award to a fighter that spent half the year not fighting is unfair and lets not forget that Puno had a poor run in BJJ, consistency has to count for something and Burns had the longer run against arguably tougher competition. Either way, it is between Burns and Puno for sure, i go for Burns,

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=900962

lol

if you eliminate Puno, it'd have to be Tsoi or Kalervo.

TWGC isn't KT or MMA. Critiquing Puno for his lack of success in grappling tournaments vs 200 lb fighters * is equivalent to judging an MMA fighter based off his performance at Metamoris. Joe Lauzen didn't lose any MMA credibility when he lost to Dillon Danis. KT I'd agree is different story. You can get KTFO in KT / Boxing and that'll definitely hurt your stock. I don't feel like grappling tournaments have the same impact.

* Puno last 6 losses in TWGC all to LHW fighters under 220 lbs, and his last 2 losses in '17 were to the fighters who won gold in TWGC tournament.

so we could make a case that the only reason Puno is losing in TWGC is because of some unrealistic weight glitch. I don't think Fabricio Werdum would have any issues grappling Eddie Bravo or Diaz bros.

That is the only big dent on this, Kalervo had 7 wins over 3 guys, that is 50% of his wins for the year, there is no way he can be the #1 contender for this award, he could be a top 5. I think Tsoi is a good debate, but as i said, the 135-145 divisions are so shallow, it is very hard to put him up there, also the HW/LHW divisions also have a lot of unpredictability due to the KO power. To me it is either Burns or Puno, everyone else is competing for 3rd.