The 2017/2018 Football (Soccer) Thread

Bwang

Palace sack De Boer! He was given 4 league games. Everyone agreed that he'd finally got the team playing well in their last game too. How ridiculous.

Poor guy, he lasted 85 days as manager of Inter, now 77 days at Palace.

Good old Roy Hodgson is favourite to take over! He'll have Benteke taking corners...

Bunch of idiots.

Palace sack De Boer! He was given 4 league games. Everyone agreed that he'd finally got the team playing well in their last game too. How ridiculous.

Poor guy, he lasted 85 days as manager of Inter, now 77 days at Palace.

Good old Roy Hodgson is favourite to take over! He'll have Benteke taking corners...

Bunch of idiots.

I have no idea how Hodgson still gets jobs these days, the guy has been managing since 1976 and has never kept a job beyond 3 years (Fulham he worked for 3 and he had the absymal England run for 4 years), he has managed teams all over the world and still cannot keep a job. I think his run as the England manager was one of the worse in the history of England, they were pathetic in the 2 tourneys he was in charge.

Hart sucks, but Pickford is not the solution either, i watched him against Spurs last weekened and it was not pretty. England has had a problem in goal for a long time and although people blame the managers, the England team is not very good if you compare to the top 4-5 teams in Europe. I have a little hope though because there is a few players around 20ish that can make an impact, 4-5 years ago it was unclear where the solution would come from.

• 3 weeks later...

Not totally surprised Carlo Ancelloti got the boot from Bayern. They haven't looked as dominant in the league this year and they were absolutely decimated by the PSG super team, and there were reports of him losing the locker room.

This might be the one year Dortmund (pleasepleaseplease) or Hoffenheim or some other team could actually win the league.

I don't think I could be more anxious for this upcoming game against Panama than I already am. I'm not inspired at all by the latest USA roster (in fact, pretty angry over a lot of the selections and snubs). Hopefully the team gets a win and that puts a little less pressure on themselves against Trinidad & Tobago on Tuesday.

Here's the lineup I want to see:

Wood

Nagbe Pulisic Arriola

Bedoya Bradley

Villafana Besler Cameron Yedlin

Howard

I'm appreciating the new international soccer chat from you NickKap! Different leagues to discuss.

re Bayern - surely they'll just do what they normally do and buy the best players from their rivals, and steal their manager too. The Hoffenheim guy is already being linked. Mind you so is Tuchel who I guess is out of work atm.

As for the USA team I confess I recognise about 4 of those names max. I'd be interested to see Pulisic play as he's v highly rated.

If Tuchel couldn't get along with the Dortmund ownership, there's no way he could get along with Bayern's, no matter how good of a manager he is.

Which names don't you recognize, Bwang? Keep in mind only a few of them play internationally (Wood, Pulisic, Cameron, Yedlin, Villafana*). And yes, Pulisic is the best player on the US. He plays right mid/left mid for Dortmund, but I and a lot of fans want to see him play centrally for the US as that's where his creativity and his directness really shine.

Cameron Yedlin and Howard I recognise from the premier league. Pulisic I recognise because my team Liverpool have been linked with him, thanks to Klopp. I thought I recognised Bradley from NY red bulls but that's Bradley Wright-Phillips right?! Who's English too I think. The other guys I've never heard of, sorry.

..I'm just starting to learn about NFL since this last season and a bit and can probably name six "football" players..

I'm kinda suprised that Panama and T&Tobago are considered a threat. I'd have thought USA soccer would have progressed further than that by now.

Bobby Wood - Hamburg

Darlington Nagbe - Portland Timbers

Christian Pulisic - Dortmund

Paul Arriola - DC United

Alejandro Bedoya - Philadelphia Union

Michael Bradley - Toronto FC

Jorge Villafana - Santos Laguna

Matt Besler - Sporting KC

Geoff Cameron - Stoke City

DeAndre Yedlin - Newcastle

Tim Howard - Colorado Rapids

And it's not that Panama and T&T don't pose a threat (they do in their own way at this stage of the game, thanks to MLS improving within CONCACAF), it's just that the US didn't exactly do a lot to instil confidence in the fans during the last international cycle (2-0 home loss to Costa Rica, 1-1 away draw to Honduras thanks to a Bobby Wood goal in the 85th minute) and the call-ups left a lot to be desired.

The US currently sits fourth in World Cup Qualifying behing Panama on goal differential. If they finish third, they automatically qualify and everything is a-OK, but if they finish fourth they take on the fourth-place team in Asia (Australia or Syria) in a two-legged inter-confederation playoff.

• Upvote 1

England though with a Kane goal to the World cup, not the best of games against Slovenia, but we got the job done. I am slightly more optimistic about England in the next WC, we are not great, but at least we have some quality in certain positions. I think we should move to a 3-2-3-1 system because we lack pure creative players, we do not have good wingers and we have good wing backs and depth at DC. In such a system we would play:

GK = Hart (i do not like this selection but we do not have anyone)

3 x DC = Cahill / John Stones / Chris Smalling

WB R = Walker

WB L = Rose

DM = Dier or Henderson

AM C = Ali

F R/L = Rushford / Lallana

FC = Kane

You have / Bertrand / Trippier rotating the WB roles. Drinkwater can play one of the holding / Box to Box positions, we have a problem when Ali is away, but all in all we should be able to play this system better. England traditionally struggles with good wingers, we almost always lack at least one legit winger on one of the sides, we also have problems with GK's and thought our history creative midfielders is also an issue, this system takes advatange of the positions we are traditionally good at. The Forward roles are a bit of an issue, but i think we can cope.

Butland

Walker Stones Cahill Rose

Henderson

Lallana Wilshere

Alli

Rashford Kane

4-4-2 diamond.

At least it'll be exciting. We're gonna go out as soon as we play someone of .. Iceland's quality so let's have a go. We have three top players in Alli, Rashford and Kane so they have to be up there together. Henderson (or Dier) can be the one and only holding mid. Cahill I don't trust but neither Smalling nor Jones have shown themselves to be amazing either. Butland or Forster are the future so let's finally dump Hart.

South American qualifiers are fiesty as fuck.

1 Match day left and only Brazil has qualified for WC.Uruguay almost there but in most unlikley senarios they could end up being in play offs.

Peru were pretty much considered done but they suddenly had a resurgence and collected 11 points in last 5 matches.

Argentina has only scored 16 goals in 17 games.only Bolivia has score less(14).

A fucking disgrace.They play Away to high altitude of Quito so i hope that fucks them up.

Ecuador had 13 points in first 5 matches and from there on they could only get 7 points in next 12 matches and cant qualify at all.

In Europe Dutch have to beat Swedes 7-0 to get a play off spot.lol.

It's the next day and I still can't believe the US lost and everything that had to happen for them to not make the World Cup happened (Honduras beating Mexico, Panama beating Costa Rica). It's the next day and I'm still as angry as I was when the clock struck midnight. Fuck Bruce Arena, fuck Sunil Gulati, fuck the players (except for Pulisic, Yedlin, and Dempsey) for not responding apropriately when they were down 1-0 and 2-0, just fuck everything. Burn it down, rebuild from the ashes, let's start a fucking sincere youth movement.

These proposed England lineups are dreadful, Mentor has 12 players and Bwang's squad is all over the place. This is the best squad imo:

---------------Butland---------------

Walker---Jones---Cahill---Rose

------------------Dier-----------------

----------Alli-----------Lallana------

Sterling-------------------Rashford

-----------------Kane-----------------

I'd maybe find a way of incorporating Vardy also, perhaps play a 4-1-3-2

Drop Rashford for Vardy and play Lallana & Sterling on wings

• Upvote 1

These proposed England lineups are dreadful, Mentor has 12 players and Bwang's squad is all over the place. This is the best squad imo:

---------------Butland---------------

Walker---Jones---Cahill---Rose

------------------Dier-----------------

----------Alli-----------Lallana------

Sterling-------------------Rashford

-----------------Kane-----------------

I'd maybe find a way of incorporating Vardy also, perhaps play a 4-1-3-2

Drop Rashford for Vardy and play Lallana & Sterling on wings

What?! All over the place? That ^ is my team with Dier instead of Henderson and Sterling instead of Wilshere.

The key guys are Alli, Kane and Rashford, plus Lallana. Just get em on the pitch. Sterling shoots like a 7 year old that's why I don't like him, but yeah your team is fine (unless you think Vardy is better than Rashford..)

Unfortunately England managers are cowards and will aim for "solidity" and "experience" over risk taking.

It's quite amazing that the USA finished below Honduras and Panama, but if it's like you say and those three results had to fall a certain way then that's unlucky. But yeah they need to take a good look at themselves.

Who's the new Klinsmann?!

If any of the older guys except for Yedlin, Wood and maybe Altidore and Bedoya make the next November friendly roster there will be hell coming from the fanbase. We want the guys tearing it up for the U17s (who just beat Paraguay 5-0 in the U17 WC round of 16) and the U20s with Pulisic leading the way.

As for the manager, I'd like to see Tata Martino. He's done amazing things with Atlanta United this season and I would love to see his attacking style with the US. I also wouldn't mind Thomas Tuchel simply for the gengenpress

• Upvote 1

What?! All over the place? That ^ is my team with Dier instead of Henderson and Sterling instead of Wilshere.

The key guys are Alli, Kane and Rashford, plus Lallana. Just get em on the pitch. Sterling shoots like a 7 year old that's why I don't like him, but yeah your team is fine (unless you think Vardy is better than Rashford..)

Unfortunately England managers are cowards and will aim for "solidity" and "experience" over risk taking.

It's the formation plus Hendo & Wilshere are average, Dier is actually pretty good and plays that holding role much more effectively.

Sterling is key in our attack as much as I hate the guy, he's managed almost a goal per game this season!

looserpool are almost as many points behind city as they have.lol.

Flopp has been spared by the media coz he jumps around,laughs,says boom and shows passion.

its Been three transfer windows he hasnt bought one real defender or a goalkeeper.

Tweet by carra sums it all.it says

Problem under Rodgers was conceding goals. 4 out of the back 5 still Rodgers signings two years on that can’t be right.

Utd lose to huddersfield in a shock result.They probably are gonna lose to spurs as well.Mou cant afford to park his bus,train or whatever now that utd are 5 points behind city.

I seriously don't understand what's going on with Dortmund this month. Is it the high line? Bosz's stubbornness? Injuries? Have opposing teams already figured this team out? The draw against APOEL in the CL and giving up a 2-goal lead against Frankfurt all in the same week is frustrating. I really hope they get things sorted out soon because Bayern and Leipzig are going to seriously challenge for the title this season

Spurs were like blunt knife without Kane in this match.Utd won just because they showed some initiative in final third in the second half.

If Arsenal loose next to man city and spurs,all hell will break lose.lol

Ac Milan spent a fortune this summer and they are 9 pts behind 4th placed Lazio.

Dortmund lose once again and now trail by 3 pts.Seems like they want to gift Bayern their 6th consecutive league title.