Syracuse FC *Smack Talk*

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, 3MA Radio back on the airwaves again! As always we will be talking about everything MMA in the city of New York and across the world! I'm your host, Ricky Monster, and we are going to jump right in here because the lines are absolutely blowing up...

Let's take some calls!

Dave in New York, what's up, buddy?

"Hey Ricky, thanks for taking my call. I just bought tickets to the upcoming Syracuse Fighting Championship fights at Hayashi's Lounge. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the card and how you think it's going to go."

Yeah, the SFC: Reborn card on November 2nd. I'm actually really excited about this one. They will be crowning champions in the heavyweight, middleweight, and bantamweight divisions. One of the best local shows in town right now. and there will be some really tough guys from around the world fighting that night.

"Anyone worth mentioning?"

Absolutely! One of the guys I'm really excited to see fighting in a local org is Helge Fossmo. 19 wins and 18 finishes. He's going to be in the main event against local KO artist, Gunnar Steigelmann for the vacant heavyweight title.

"Helge Fossmo is awesome! I think he's going to take the W."

Helge is definitely a world-class wrestler that frequently dominates his opponents...His ground and pound puts guys to sleep and he has shown a really scary submission game lately. But if anyone can challenge him in the SFC it's Steigelmann. This guy has big knockout power, lethal kicks and high level grappling. 6 out of his 6 wins have come by way of knockout and his wrestling is exceptional so It's hard for me to believe Fossmo will just walk through him. But that's what makes it such a great matchup!

"If Steigelmann can take the victory, I think New York will really stand up and take notice of his talents."

I am certainly in agreement there. Anything else, Dave?

"Yeah... ummm... What do you think about Fernandez fighting for the title again on his first fight back?"

For me, it's good to see former SFC champion, Jason Fernandez making a return in his fight against Water Sedes... Does he deserve the shot? Well, that's up for debate considering he's coming off that loss in the EMMA.

For the folks listening who may not know Fernandez... after winning the belt, he defended it 5 times before falling to strikes in his 6th defense. He likes to make you wrestle with him and he can deliver devastating power from every position...

"He's going to need that power against Sedes!"

Oh, for sure! In Sedes, he will be facing one of the most threatening grapplers in the 185 pound division. Holding a very impressive 8 tapout victories in his 10 professional career wins. He's a jiu jitsu black belt and someone who can turn the fight around very quickly with a tight submission. Just when you think he's in trouble, that's when he wins. In my opinion, Fernandez takes this one. but don't count Sedes out. While Jason Fernandez has the advantage in the standup. If this fight hits the mat, he may just end up tapping out!

"That's gonna be a great fight. I hope Fernandez plays this one smart. I'd love to see him on top again in the SFC. Thanks for taking my call."

No problem, Dave in New York. Thanks for calling!

Before I go to commercial and since I'm already on the subject I'd like to tell the rest of the listeners who are on the fence about buying tickets or haven't really been to a local show. On top of the 7 other professional MMA bouts happening on this card like Charles Manson vs. James Pain... A classic striker meets grappler matchup. Or the Brayden Lee and Rocky Sullivan fight that's sure to be a candidate for fight-of-the-night. There will be a 3rd title fight for the bantamweight crown.

Gameover Chalas will defend his belt in a rematch against Noel Serverino before the co-main event. After taking the throne at Fight Night 9 he lost the rematch by unanimous decision. He got another chance at SFC 35 and he took the winhttp://cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png with a violent 1st round arm-triangle against Severino. They say you're not a champion until you defend the belt... So this is a chance for Chalas to really prove he deserves the gold with his first successful title defense while Noel is looking to avenge that embarrassing loss. High stakes at the Syracuse Fight Championship. But I think Gameover Chalas takes this one by submission once again.

On that note, I gotta go to commercial. Thanks for listening everybody! We'll be right back.

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/23/23w9.jpg

ASSOCIATED PRESS- Earlier this month, Syracuse FC signed hard hitting middleweight Gabriel Cain. While his record currently sits at 0-2 many analysts claim that his skill set is better than his win/loss ratio would dictate. Luckily for him he'll get his opportunity to prove it as it's officially been reported that he'll make his promotional debut at SFC: Dawn of the Caged against Larry OConnor.

"Show me where he's better than me," said the especially confident Cain, "Please, show me. I'll wait. I've been submitted twice in my career, but I've worked very hard on my defensive grappling and he's not going to catch me like my first two opponents did. Hell, he might not even get me to the mat! My takedown defense is improved, too! With that said, is there anybody that thinks this kid can beat me on the feet? Please, son, don't make me laugh."

When asked for a prediction on the fight, Gabriel simply laughed.

"First round, via murder."

• Upvote 1

What's happening everybody? We are back in your face to talk about everything Mixed Martial Arts in the city and across the globe! I'm Ricky Monster for 3MA Radio and Pit! Inc. here to tell you everything you need to know.

Yesterday we had a caller who wanted to talk about Syracuse Fighting Championships and their upcoming card. Well that conversation made me look deeper into what this org has got coming up, and there's another card happening on November 9th at The Underground some of you may want to hear about. It's a small intimate venue where even the cheap seats put you there right next to the action and they've got some real up and comers that you might want to keep your eye on fighting that night.

It's the SFC: Initiation card. Let me get started by talking about the fight I'm most excited about, the co-main event of the night.

Now, I am going to say a name and I want you to remember it forever... Because if you go to this fight and watch this guy in action, you will never forget it! Kid Fright Night himself, AKA AJ Foster. Undefeated in 10 professional fights, all of his victories coming by way of submission. A night club DJ and a U.S. Marine with a green belt in MCMAP. He's the former SFC heavyweight champion but he never officially lost his belt. There's never been any official statements on what happened to make him vacate the title but I know that if he can take this victory, he'll be back in line and ready to take his place as the king of the hill again.

His opponent is relatively untested... He's never fought in a professional organization but instead chose to make a name for himself in the QFC circuit. Show up, sign your name on the dotted line and fight tomorrow. Considering he never knew who he would be matched up against, it's quite the accomplishment to have finished his last 3 out of 5 fights by 1st round knockout. He's still young and he's already got a purple belt in BJJ, solid boxing and a respectable wrestling game.

Foster definitely holds the advantage on the ground here but everyone I talk to has gone back to the same argument of Uso and his 1 punch power. If Kid Fight Night can get this one to the ground it's going to be a real test of will for Uso. We'll see if that purple belt holds up long enough for him to get the finish. Two great undefeated fighters meeting for a very exciting matchup. This fight is what local MMA is all about!

Another fight on this card I'll be watching closely is Chris Leben and William Bob. And no, it's not the Leben of UFC fame, different Leben, but a brawler none-the-less. What makes this one so exciting for me is both guys come in with extensive records but they both stand in the red having lost more fights than they've won by 1. Leben at 13-14 and Bob with 16-17. So why pay attention? Because guys like this come to fight! You will never see either of these guys playing it safe and both are known for the quality of their fights. Forget a win ratio, sometimes you gotta respect the sport for what it truly is, a fight! You have to show love to the guys who put it out there no matter what the outcome... and for me, this is one of the best matches of the night.

A lot of other tough guys as well on this card. But I really just want to get to the main event, my producer is telling me to wrap it up but I won't be doing that until I get the chance to talk about the big dogs on the card.

The main event of the night is everyone's favorite Average Joe, Dan Koon facing Solofa Fatu. Two light-heavyweights looking to outshine the competition and get their chance at the belt. Koon is coming off a title shot loss against MC Hammerfist and Fatu is 2-3 in his last five fights. Both guys have a lot to prove if they hope to get back in that contender spot and while it's undeniable that Koon has the advantage on the ground with a string of submission victories, but that leaves a question on his standup. Fatu has 3 subs to his credit but where they really separate is on the feet. Fatu has 8 KO finishes and I don't think Koon is going to be able to compete with his handspeed and power. When you take into consideration they're near identical on the ground, I think Koon is going to have to really work the smart-game to overtake Fatu.

Alright, I'm getting the handsign, they are waving like mad men that I need to take a break. Okay, okay, okay. Well there you have it! SFC: Initiation on November 9th. Support local MMA and get your tickets now!

SFC-Reborn Review

Hi Everyone and welcome to SFC Tonight with Ryuuma Oshida the show where we look back at my tragic miscalculations and the occasional piece of brilliance from our SFC Fighters. It was an exciting night with 7 TKO or KO finishes and only bout going all the way let’s take a look at the action.

Hawkins Drops Koon

In the first fight of the night I said in the preview that Koon needed to learn how to dodge a punch… He didn’t, and got rocked in the first round by one of the nastiest Uppercuts we have seen in a long time I’m tuning in for Hawkins next fight just to see more punches like that.

Gianni over Chida

The fight between Chida and Gianni almost made it to the second round but after cutting Gianni early Chida was thoroughly overwhelmed. This one went the way we thought with Gianni’s skillset proving too much for Chida.

Haha Defeats Prodigy

The 3rd Bout tonight was the only one that went to decision but it was 15 minutes of the most boring battle ever , 15 unsuccessful Sub attempts by Prodigy and 14 Attempts at ground striking by Haha and they all missed these guys need to get back to training and show some improvement our telemetry showed only a 38% fight rating the only reason Haha got the win is because he initiated the takedowns. Haha Wins we all lose.

Dickens Beats Olegovich

Dickens Dominated the 4th fight of the night, he went after Olegovich from the start with a barrage of punches and kicks to the Mid-section and legs Olegovich didn’t have time to get a punch in, a performance like this has to put everyone on notice that there is power in the Featherweight Division.

Dayshus over Colon

Dayshus vs Colon went just the way it was expected with Dayshus beating Colon like a ragdoll, Dayshus was good in standup but he was absolutely brutal in the clinch landing 30 of 30 to the head and 16 to the Body the only thing that surprised me In this fight is that Colon lasted into the second round.

Lee downs Sullivan

Sullivan was outmatched in his bout with lee it never looked like it was going any other way Lee won this bout easily and was looking for his next opponent before the fight was even over. This bout only served to up Lee’s hype. Hopefully his next fight will be closer.

Manson defeats Pain

I picked Pain in this one and after the first round I was feeling pretty confident about that, with Pain dominating that round. But only 27 seconds into the 2nd round Manson scored a beautiful straight punch right to Pain’s face and that was all it took just goes to show, you always need to keep your guard up.

Chalas beats Severino

Congrats to the new 135lb Champion Chalas. Although he won by submission he seemed to have this one under control all the way with his fighting in the clinch. Severino tried but just couldn’t hang with Chalas and ended up being dominated on the ground in the fourth round having survived 14 previous Sub attempts.

Fernandez defeats Sedes

Fernandez takes the Middleweight belt with a dominating display on the ground. After 3 takedown attempts being stuffed early Sedes might have taken the opportunity over a quickly tiring Fernandez, but he was unable to take advantage and Fernandez finally took him down after that it was 4 minutes of beating for Sedes who will be disappointed that the ref stopped it with only 1 second left in the round.

Fossmo defeats Steigelmann

I questioned at the start of this bout wether Fossmo’s experience would be able to overcome Steigelmann’s power and Fossmo answered. While it wasn’t the prettiest title fight we have ever seen but Fossmo is the new 265lb Champion of the world. After that performance though there could be a few rumblings from other 265lb fighter that they deserve a shot.

And that’s all for tonight after picking 6 of 10 I’m happy but not as happy as our 3 new World Champions Chalas, Fernandez and Fossmo. Congratulations to all of them and good luck in their Title defences. I’ll see you again for the SFC Initiation Preview Show.

Welcome to the SFC Initiation Preview Show

Brought to you by the Syracuse Fighting Championship

Proudly Supported by Hellraiser Fightgear and Knox Energy

I am your Pre Event Analyst, Ryuuma Oshida Let’s check out the lower Card for this Exciting SFC Fight Night.

Fight 1 Sekine Vs. Beast

This could be a close one; both fighters are 18 and coming off their first win. Beast should stay standing up and has some wrestling skill to protect himself on the ground. Sekine Has the Muay Thai to push a Clinch battle to decision but maybe not to KO Beast but his best shot will come on the ground where his purple belt in BJJ could prove the difference as it did in his first fight. Beast for the Win by TKO.

Fight 2 Orvokki vs. Thorn

The young Orvokki is slightly outmatched by the older Thorn across all skills. Thorn should wrap this up fairly easily. A win here should mean thorn steps up to some harder opponents but if he loses he might need to rethink his tactics. If Orvokki gets the upset, he should buy a lottery ticket cause it’s all luck. Thorn by Submission.

Fight 3 Costello vs. Suchev

This fight should be Suchev’s although younger he has the superior BJJ and can nullify Costello’s 2 wins by Sub. Costello has the superior Muay Thai but not by enough to outweigh Suchev’s boxing skills. This one goes to Suchev by KO.

Fight 4 Boxer vs. Diggins

A battle between two journey men who are extremely well matched. This could go either way, but it all points to an epic battle to be played out low on the card, tune in for this one, both of these fighters are looking for a new start in a new org and at their ages they don’t want to start again..., again. These sleepers could provide the fight of the night. Flip a coin on this one.

Hellraiser Inc. Proudly Presents the Preliminary Card.

Fight 5 Balboa vs. Fighter

Fighter should dominate this fight. After holding a belt with another org, Fighter has stepped up to the SFC to prove that he can bang with the best and Balboa doesn’t have the talent to stand in the way. This should be win number 10 for Fighter. Balboa should consider wearing armour when he steps in the ring. If Balboa makes it past the first round he should chalk it up as a win because he is thoroughly outmatched. Fighter by Destruction, uhh, I mean first round Submission.

Fight 6 Man vs. Asashoryu

In the second of five 265lb fights tonight Asashoryu has the advantage in stand up and he should look to keep the fight standing and away from man’s purple belt BJJ. Man needs to go to ground as soon as possible, as he gives away nearly thirty pounds of muscle in this fight against a superior stand up fighter with KO power, that spells trouble. I’m giving this one to the Goliath, Asashoryu by TKO but don’t discount Man if it goes to the ground. Asashoryu by TKO.

Fight 7 Leben vs. Bob

If Leben can wipe the tears from his face long enough to step in the ring he might have a chance in this one, after losing his SFC 265lb title it’s been a hard road for Leben but a win here could put him back in contention for a title. Bob has nothing to lose here at 33 he is the younger fighter but this could still be his last shot at being a real contender for a belt. Bob wins, only because Leben’s morale is so low he might beat himself up in the Octagon. Bob by Decision.

Fight 8 Perrier vs. Hoodwell

First glance at this will tell you that Perrier is a former title holder with a 9-3 record and that Hoodwell got knocked the F#*k out 4 times for only one win in QFC. But dig a little deeper and you will see Hoodwell has all the skills necessary to not only challenge but defeat Perrier. Perrier will want this one so he can have a go at AJ Foster again. If Hoodwell can avoid the big hits this should be his fight but he should also be careful about standing in the pocket and trading blows it hasn’t worked before. Hoodwell by TKO

And now for the Main events, brought to you by New York’s Premiere MMA Organization, Syracuse Fighting Championship. No Title fights this time folks but two fantastic bouts that deserve top billing

Fight 9 Uso vs. Foster - Co-Main event

Two undefeated fighters step into the ring only one will step out the same. Foster 10-0 title holder versus the 5-0 Uso. Foster will want this badly after his title was vacated; if he wins he takes on the winner of Fossmo v. Steiglmann for the Belt. If history is anything to go by Foster will take this fight to the ground but with a purple belt in BJJ, Uso won’t submit easy. If Uso can keep this fight standing he’ll use that big right hand of his that has ended his last three opponents but keeping foster up will be harder than it looks. Foster by Sub

Fight 10 the Main Event – Koon vs. Fatu

Initiations Main Event looks to be a Quasi-battle for the vacated title the winner will have a shot the loser will have to work their way back to the top. Both fighters are recipients of multiple fight of the night awards so look for an exciting battle. Koon has the experience but his much younger opponent has the power. Fatu will have to endure the ground game of Koon but his Brown belt says he can, and then use that power to KO his opponent. If Koon wants this one badly enough he’ll have to be perfect on the ground and outlast his opponent with superior tactics. Fatu by TKO

That’s all for tonight’s show thanks for watching, as always keep tuned in after the fights for the review show ‘SFC Tonight’ with everyone’s favourite MMA commentator, me, Ryuuma Oshida as I breakdown all the best parts of the event.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the SFC Fight Night Preview Show

Brought to you by the Syracuse Fighting Championship

Proudly Supported by Hellraiser Fightgear and Knox Energy

I am your Pre Event Analyst, Ryuuma Oshida Let’s take a look at another exciting night of Fighting in the SFC. This is the lower Card for this Exciting SFC Event.

Fight 1 Styles vs. Lavigne

Styles is coming off five straight losses, including a QFC Bout where he was KO’d after 9 seconds he will be fighting to keep his contract, lavigne although the same age has much less experience with only one fight under his belt, he is unproven but a win over Styles should be a minimum to show he deserves his contract. I’m Giving this one to the unproven Lavigne, Styles has not been able to stand with the pros of SFC I don’t see that changing. Lavigne by Sub

Fight 2 Hart vs. Money

This 155lb fight will be a ground battle between two BJJ fighters Money missed 34 takedowns in his first and only Pro Fight while Hart has the better BJJ and two Sub wins under his belt. Hopefully the extended time spent training by Money will show and we will have a solid BJJ Match. Hart by Sub

Fight 3 Novak vs. Kharinov

Novak has been training hard, in this only his 3rd pro fight he is coming up against one of the best stand-up fighters the SFC has, in Kharinov. ‘The Iron Foot’ Kharinov has 21 Wins all by KO with five Fight of the Night Awards but at 35 is no longer in his prime and that shows in his recent record. Novak could stamp his name on the 265 class with a win here. But I think Kharinov has one more in him. Kharinov by TKO

Fight 4 Bates vs. Scotty

Former SFC Title holder Bates is coming of two losses and needs this win to stay in contention. Scotty has only fought in QFC and has his only win by Decision, I’m Giving this one to Bates his experience should be too much for Scotty, who has shown an inability to capitalise on his Stand-up superiority. Bates by Sub

Tonight’s Preliminary Card is proudly presented by Hellraiser Inc.

Fight 5 Robinson vs. Jackson

Two different fight styles in this bout, but both fighters have 2-1 records Robinson the stand-up fighter has stayed in training and might be out of energy before he even gets to the ring so I have to give this one to Jackson. Once this fight hits the ground this Fight should be over. Jackson by Sub

Fight 6 Ash vs. Jackman

Both fighters have winning records but are coming off Submission losses. This fight should be a close and exciting contest between two guys with fairly even abilities. Look out for Jackman on his return to SFC although his wins are by TKO he has ability on the ground as well. This one could go either way but I’m picking Ash, because of his BJJ and Jackman is susceptible to subs. Ash by Sub

Fight 7 Reed vs. Williams

Look for a strong one from Williams his stand up and wrestling could prove the undoing for reed. Reed has one last fight before retirement and will be looking to go out on a high. I’m giving this one to Williams his youth and talent should be too much for Reed. Williams by TKO

Fight 8 Washington vs. Aliyev

Washington outscores Aliyev on all the abilities and it’s hard to see Aliyev finding a way past the former QFC Tournament winner. Washington should take this in the first or second round. Aliyev will need the perfect strategy if he wants a chance. Washington by KO

And now for the Main events, brought to you by New York’s Premiere MMA Organization, Syracuse Fighting Championship. No Title fights this time folks but two fantastic Bouts that deserve top Billing

Fight 9 Maul vs. King - Co-Main event

Both of these fighters can stand and fight so the win might come down to Kings’ experience and BJJ skill. Maul does have his first win by a round one TKO but might need some more time to develop. King is a well-rounded fighter and will be looking for better luck in the SFC and will be hoping to start this contract with a win. I’ll give this one to King but Maul is definitely in the contest. King by Sub

Fight 10 the Main Event – Kersikov vs. Massilievich Li

Kersikov hasn’t fought in a professional promotion before this bout but his skills are undeniable this could be the start of a title run but he will have to go through his opponent who, while overmatched is also a very capable fighter and former SFC Title contender. This should be the fight of the night and is truly worthy of being fight of the night. Both fighters have skills on the ground but prefer to stand up and fight and both are more than capable of a KO. Look for Kersikov to push his advantage early and Massilievich Li to fight hard. I don’t think this one will make it to decision whoever comes out on top this should be a fight for the fans to enjoy. Kersikov by TKO

That’s all for tonight’s show thanks for watching, as always tune in before each event for The Preview Show with Ryuuma Oshida

Pit Fighters Underground live on the air

Hey everybody, Pit Fighters Underground live on the air and back in your life to take another 3 hours of your day away from the family... haha. I'm Germy Germs, the host with the most here to tell you what to think about the best in MMA, Kickboxing, and Jiu Jitsu, So I wanted to talk about an organization that's been making waves in the community. With a high caliber roster that includes a mix of top level grapplers and knockout artists, SFC has a new fan in New York, that's right everybody, Germy has a new favorite show, and it's Syracuse Fighting Championship.

Let me tell you why... I'll start with the camps they are recruiting from. They've got guys out of Convicted Inc, Hall of the Immortals, The Exiled, and Hellraiser Inc to name just a few. These are guys who train with the best and their coaches are among the greatest in the world, So I wanted to talk about the upcoming Kerikov vs. Massilievich Ii card. SFC Fight Night. Now Kersikov is one of those guys I mentioned before... He's the younger brother of Immortals FC champion Vlad Kersikov and he trains with top ten light heavyweight, Ryo Narushima at the Convicted inc camp.. He is without a doubt, the most elite striker in the division and possibly the whole organization, an exceptional wrestler and a brown belt in BJJ as well. Did I mention that he hits harder than a sledgehammer? Not one of his QFC opponents have made it past the first round... This will be our first time seeing him in a professional fight and I'm looking forward to seeing his debut.

He will be facing The Russian Roulette, Nikolay Massilevich Ii. Nikolay in one word? EXPLOSIVE. he has some vicious highlight reel knockouts to his credit, remarkable wrestling, wonderful boxing and a brown belt of his own. I've gotta be honest, this fight doesn't look good for Massilevich unless he can connect, which I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of! Kersikov has some big shoes to fill, and his chin is going to be tested over and over again in this fight. They don't call him Russian Roulette for nothing! Every time he pulls the trigger might just be the end for his opponent. Can he touch Andrei's chin hard enough to win the fight? No one knows until they meet on November 16th.

Before they meet we'll be treated to two specialists in the welterweight division. Paul Maul vs Hannibal king is another one of those fights we see so much in SFC where a guy with a solid string of submission victories faces the guy who may just knock him out. Maul is a strong boxer and wrestler with proficient kicks but Hannibal is a submission technician. 8 victories on his record all by way of submission. He's already challenged for the title twice, losing both times but still very confident he can take the gold with another shot.

He'll have his hands full with Hall of the Immortals fighter, Paul Maul. He looked very good in his debut against Michael Alexander where he ended the fight with a brutal right hand that put Alexander to sleep. This may be a problem for King, who has 5 TKO losses on his record. he'll need to get this down to the ground ASAP and execute his plan flawlessly if he wants to take the W.

Other fights that night include Jake Reed vs Ash Williams, Shawn Robinson vs Reggie Jackson, and Chris Bates fighting Scott Scotty. It's all going down at The Underground in New York on November 16th and tickets are on sale now.
I have to go to commercial but don't change that dial people, The Germy Germ will be right back!

• 2 weeks later...

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/23/23w9.jpg

ASSOCIATED PRESS:

"What'd I tell you, O'Connor? First round, via murder."

Those were the simple sentiments uttered by Gabriel Cain, just moments after leaving the cage triumphantly having put Larry O'Connor out 2:06 into the very first round on Saturday Night. "Murder" is an appropriate term as Cain stuffed 5 takedown attempts and was never hit, while landing 12/12 on single strikes, and finishing 2/4 combinations. In the end it proved a counter shot to the body after an O'Conner shot that dropped Larry and opened him for the (T)KO. Gabriel Cain was reached in a text message on his way back to Los Angeles to get back in the gym.

HEY GABRIEL, WHEN ARE YOU LOOKING TO FIGHT AGAIN? ANY OPPONENTS IN MIND?

SEND ME A STRIKER, SFC, LET ME BANG BRO!

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/9/9w3.jpg

ASSOCIATED PRESS:

After the first setback of his professional career, Kira Kato has returned to his winning ways and lifted his career record to 5-1 with 4 submissions. The latest came Saturday night at "SFC: Dawn of the Caged" when he submitted Deb The Machine at 2:48 of the second round with a painful looking kimura. After the fight, Kato spoke to the press through a translator:

"Deb has good jiu-jitsu. I respect him and his brown belt, sincerely. However, I have just as much respect for my brown belt and felt I could beat him on the mat. My coaches and I decided to allow him to take me down. I didn't want to risk getting hit with a lucky punch, and so allowed him to take dominant position in exchange for allowing more time to work him over on the ground."

While Deb made Kira work in the grappling department, it was clear that the eldest Kato brother was simply in a different class. He was 12-17 in transitions, including several nice sweeps. he was also 13-18 in blocking Debs transitions. It's believed that after this performance, Kira will be awarded his blackbelt within the coming weeks. His legendary red belt father, Kenji Kato, is currently in Los Angeles to work with his three sons at the HILITE Fighting Club. The black belt could be awarded any day while he's in town.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/9/9w3.jpg

Recently removed from his fifth career submission, a first round Rear Naked Choke that moved him to 6-1 as a professional, Kira Kato spoke to the media through an interpreter about his last booking against Hugh Jackman.

"I was insulted. I was insulted that they thought I wouldn't be able to take down and submit a blue belt. I said 'he is not an elite boxer, he will not be able to hit me before I choke him'. I am a black belt. I am very good. I will prove it every time they doubt me and put me against someone that is not the champion."

He was then asked whether he was truly ready for a fighter like Gab Showman, the 155 lbs champion.

"Maybe, maybe not. Let me test myself and find out. I promise I will not let him off easily, and I will put him in more danger than he would know how to handle. I would finish him."