Rematches of Milestones in History, The New Star and the Old Legend - Robbins v Diego 2

KingEpicity

http://mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1591171660WTFFF.gif

Sponsored by

http://www.mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1490140446hxf_logo.png

Broadcasted on

TSPN.jpg

98c45d6237e2c43b35b45511071e1742.png

d943bc725075ea6f7ced5c077005e5b6.png

Marty Robbins

V

Dwan Diego

Main Event of Eternity Kickboxing 13

LIVE on PPV

Order NOW using

September 12 2020

At the Tokyo Bowl in Tokyo, Japan

Written by

Kris "GingerBred" Carter(no relation to any MMATycoon members... I think.)

A poor boy who has never been in a fight in a life in his life but he DOES have a blog...

and he lost his virginity...

once...

He thinks.

unr_reporter_170824_1658_zoktq.png

The night of July 6th is an important night in the history of sports, specifically, it is perhaps the most important night in the history of kickboxing. That night under the bright lights and dazzle allure of the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan, we witnessed the first time that a kickboxing event was broadcasting live to a world wide audience in in a full on, stadium-level PPV event. There were attempts before, akin to dabbling your foot in water to test the temperature but no company owner has ever been so daring… until the eccentric and odd madman turned fight org CEO, Ryan Epicity, attempted his second venture into the ownership game… of a fight roster.

After a starting his business career in running up and coming ID org Epicity Productions, Ryan Epicity soon found a sense of brotherhood with two other owners in the fight game who shared a similar vision for the future. These two were none other… than Troid and Synchronicity owner, Grant Brophy, and former Insanity owner, John Beck. There was however, a third org these all shared ownership of… And that was by the combination of the rosters of Troid, Epicity and Insanity rosters in an unprecedented three way merger that saw the formation of Trinity, an open ID org that aspired by big dreams of PPV and big names born out of three ID orgs. It was a success… After a lengthy retirement, he resurfaced out of nowhere. It didn’t take him long to get that itch again and soon after present Syn(among other top orgs) Chuck W swung some of that sweet sweet Chucky money around and made Skrap his at the swat of his left hand and with his right… He offered management of it to Ryan Epicity. Ryan Epicity quickly accepted without thinking and soon found himself in a situation where he was not ready to take on tat amount of work by himself and Chuck rightly decided to close doors… His return to the game had been a disaster… but Ryan wouldn’t let it end there. Even while taking Chuck’s offer, what Ryan Epicity really wanted, what he really reeeeeally wanted, was a kickboxing org.

A kickboxing org you ask? Why would he want such a silly thing, kickboxing orgs won’t make you much money… OH AND they’re hard to run… since ya know… you can’t use even use event helper to make sorting the fight order easier and calculate your advertising and productions costs… and most of all… You can’t do Pay Per View.

“Wait…”

Ryan said…

“You can’t?”

“Are you sure?”

“… Wait you mean no one evers tried it? I mean reeeeeally tried it. 3 hours, 90k arena. The whole thing. The grand show.”

“…. Oh yeah… That’s what I thought. No one has ever tried it… if only I had a kickboxing org of my own… but there is only room for one… Amsterdam Underground Kickboxing… Tycoon I think has it covered though.”

Through a series of luck and timing, Ryan Epicity acquired ownership of AKT, the only elite level kickboxing org in the game.

“Man, you know what? Hold my beer, I’ll do it.”

Ryan Epicity doesn’t even drink beer…

So sadly, whoever he was talking to… Did not, in fact, hold his beer.

But figuratively speaking…

On July 6th, 2020 Eternity 6: Transcendence took place and they did in fact… hold his beer and watched as 90k screaming fans of Japanese fans (and foreign) watched as ETERNITY Kickboxing put on the first kickboxing PPV event of all time… and put there foot on the gas and haven’t looked back since.

The main event of this show saw another changing of the guard, so to speak. Another event that triggered the impending PPV move as the revelation that WKBC, a fellow kickboxing company, was actually 50% comprised of fighters that belong to WKBC’s owner and his other aliases… A revelation that realized that end of WKBC and as a result, the release of the one champion on their roster that was widely held as being world–class and possibly on par with ETERNITY’s own Middleweight champion, long time Kickboxing veteran and already a legendary figure in the kickboxing world, Dwan Diego. Diego had dominated the 185 scene since his return to the division meanwhile despite finishing all of his opponents in his kickboxing career, 4 title shots, there was a slight shadow of doubt in his P4P legitimacy due to the quality of his opponents and the fact that despite all of WKBC’s success… it was still the clear No. 2 org, not the No. 1. Dwan Diego was not just a tough opponent… but a legend of kickboxing with 14 championship belts in his trophy case at home to signify each of his 14 title fight wins. These 14 wins span over 4 different orgs and two weight classes with a total of 5 different title reigns. He was no easy opponent for any man, 185 lbs or otherwise. This would be the headline of the first PPV event and it was billed at the WKBC champion vs the Eternity champion… but when it came down to the fight… It was Marty Robbins who shone the brightest on the biggest kickboxing stage ever, not the legendary Dwan Diego. Martiny Robbins won the fight by unanimous decious and one crazy(and possibly intoxicated) judge at ringside gave him a 50-45 scorecard. The victory was Marty’s for all the world to see… and see they did.

He instantly become the most popular and hyped(at the time) fighter in the company and in his next fight, he faced the man many thought would be challenging Dwan Diego in an epic rematch that many claimed forced Diego to retreat from 205 back to 185, the knock out artist, Dennis Fischer. As a writer who covered this fight on fight week, I became more and more convinced that Dennis was an even bigger challenge than Diego and would be a much tougher fight.

Marty Robbins respectfully disagreed and the knock out artist was knocked out and the fans loved the irony as Marty Robbin’s popularity became a sensation that saw kickboxing hit a new level of reorganization among casual fans world-wide.

And here we are again.

Dwan Diego is not a man to be taken lightly, most of his opponents most know this… as most who defeated him… were also defeated BY him. After losing to Robbins, Diego assured his fans that he had NOT lost a step and he was hard at work to keep improving despite whateve number his age happen to be. He proved himself right and beat a tough rebound in former K-1 an Rio Heroes champion, Tommy Lee to secure himself a much deserved rematch.

This fight reminded me of the milestones set by both Robbins and Eternity on the same night and this fight marks both Robbin/Diego and Eternity/PPV relationships coming full circle as Robbin looks to prove that he deserves to the be the poster boy of the company and strives to keep the never before seen status of fandom he had attainted simply as a by-product of doing his job and defeating the opponent in front of him. Dwan Diego has been counted out before and made a lot of people eat a lot of crow… time and time again. He was dominated in the clinch game in the first encounter while actually winning the battle on the outside. Looking at the compustrike stats proves that the first fight was a lot closer than most realized and that with a simple change of a strategy or even an off night could quickly change the winner of this fight. It’s truly a 50% chance for either to be in this writer’s humble opinion and so many factors like that make it one of the most anticipated rematches in recent memory. The first fight had historical implications but the rematch has personal ones, Robbins needs to replicate that work he did on the inside during their first fight or a find a way to land more shots on Diego who looked like he had better footwork on the outside. Diego needs to do the opposite clearly and either work to avoid clinches at all cost or he better have brought in some muy thai and wrestlers to help elevate his game. As a writer it’s my job to stay neutral for ethical reasons but most cannot help leaning one way or another whether it be because of a fighter’s personality, fighting style or other factors… but to me… I am neutral. I want to see both of these men succeed and I have no idea who will be able to do that. Robbins is undefeated in kickboxing tho and won the first fight so if I had to make a prediction, it’s Robbins, 48-47 in a razor close fight where he pulls juuuust a bit ahead in the final round... buuut this isn’t a Rocky film and those moment almost never happened when we want them to. It’s why I love combat sports though… There is no way to truly tell what can happen when two trained killers step into a ring with each other and it gives me goosebumps just to think about. Well that’s all I have. Enjoy the fights, look for me in the 2nd row, I’ll be there live to see the winner for myself and witness which one will make their “MOMENT” a reality.

• Upvote 8