The game is SO MUCH better without fight travel

Doesn't it take a whole lot of managerial aspects out of the game though? I mean sure you can have fights on the other end of the world, travel back etc..But it seems kinda forced.

You've had two fight, and four years between them. Maybe you should play the game for a while before arguing against features that are pretty much universally praised by others.

• Upvote 1

Wow excuse me for returning to a game. My goodness. Maybe appreciate the fact that I'm asking a sincere question.

When you got 15+ fighters it gets pretty boring and repetitive to keep them all in check. On the other hand maybe I shouldnt have had that many fighters, but I like to fight often so here you go I think thats the problem many managers had with it

The biggest problem with locations being turned off is that Private Jets are now almost completely useless. Other then Laundry, what good are they...?

Manager to manager loans without the fees. Moving all your fighters to 1 location once you get enough money for a private gym

Edit: that's a sweet logo btw

• Upvote 1

Wow excuse me for returning to a game. My goodness. Maybe appreciate the fact that I'm asking a sincere question.

I do welcome you back. But you have no idea what it takes to manage fighters in this game.

Flying was tedious busy work that brought nothing to the game. If someone wants to fly their fighters to location and back, they can still do that.

No. The auto flight message is a perfect reminder to set a gameplan :)

Since the location is off auto-flight is irrelevant and just a pain in the ass, for those who forget to set their sliders coz they are not that active or forgetful there is actually a built-in reminder to use, you can find it here much more efficient than that crappy auto-flight

http://www.mmatycoon.com/notepad.php

• 2 months later...

I have very mixed feelings about this. Because there are really two sides to it. While it is more conveniant and makes the game "less maintenance" (something, that I usually like in browser games), the locations being utterly redundant has one very negative side effect. It is a (if not THE) chief reason, why public gyms are so marginalised. Because the most active players (the VIPs) now end up using their private gyms. Or the ones of their multi or some in-game buddy, who invites them. With location not being of any concern, they can fight where they want and train where they want, which makes all around private training MUCH more feasible.

Your private gym can only be in one place. But since your fighters can fight all over the world without any penalty (they just teleport), it is not an issue at all. It therefore kills off the demand for public gyms tremendously, for the majority of the most active player base (the VIPs) can now resort to private training without the slightest hassle. Under such circumstances, running a private/invitation only gym becomes solely a matter of money. Public gyms cannot ever compete with that and find themselves effectively being cut off from what would be a major chunk of the most reliable costumer base.

• Upvote 1

The way I see it is, with the current influx of money in the game, any rich manager has access to one or multiple private jets, so their fighters always fly first class with zero negative effect when flying last minute. This means that any rich manager does not need any outside help.

For me, ever since fight travel got turned off, I felt better about the game since after years of setting flights manually for a 20+ fighters roster, I started to feel sick about it and felt like it was a chore versus an actual pleasure playing a game.

• Upvote 2

Like said, I can see and agree to the conveniance argument (at least if we ignore everything else). But locations being turned off has also dumbed down the economy of the game significantly. Because now it is of zero concern for a fighting org, how the local pool of fighters is looking in their area. There is no strategic connection between where a fighter trains and where he fights, likely to the detriment of public gyms.

If booking flights would be such an insufferable chore, then why not simply have the fighters moving their base to where they need to be for the foreseeable future? That would create effective markets for training opportunities and the texture and size of a fighter pool in any given city would actually be of concern, when running an org. With locations being turned off, all of that is straight out of the window. The cities are merely reduced to aesthetics (for lack of a better word). Besides the sizes of the venues, there are very little strategic implications. One city is as good as the next one.

• Upvote 2

If booking flights would be such an insufferable chore, then why not simply have the fighters moving their base to where they need to be for the foreseeable future?

• Lack of gyms in that org's city,
  • Your gym is not in that org's city,
  • Your fighter's contract is only 2-3 fights are you're unsure about re-signing there afterwards,
  • You don't have the budget to move base,
  • You don't want to lose energy + morale + time on your fighter to lose precious training time. Time is money, and you don't have enough money to sacrifice time.

That's a few points that came to mind. I get your point, I really do, but there's a lot of things to keep in mind here.

Right now, the amount of active managers is pretty low compared to what it used to be, making a few cities pretty dead and unattractive. If your fighters are located anywhere in the United States, for example, and you have interest in a solid org in Sydney or Tokyo, with locations turned on, you have to say no to that org, just because that flying across the planet will mean more energy/morale loss, and most likely losing 1 or 2 training sessions.

When I look at the pros and cons of something, I like to imagine being a new manager in the game, and think about how it would affect that said new manager.

You have no money, you sign to a fight org because the city you created your fighter is in doesn't have the perfect org for you, so you sign in another city. When comes fight time, your fighter get an auto-flight, so you tell yourself, "cool, I don't have to set a flight, it's an automatic feature". When comes fight time, your fighter is at the correct location, but he starts the fight with 10% less energy than his opponent, and loses the fight because of that.

Then, after the fight, your fighter is still in that city, that is not his base, and for one reason or another, you don't login for a few days because real life turned out to be a little more important than the game for those few days, and your fighter is now in the wrong location, broke since he had to pay for being in the wrong location, plus, he couldn't train, and you have to figure out a way to fly him back, but you have $0, so you just sign out, and never ever log back into the game.

Again, I agree with your point, especially with your comment "dumbed down the economy of the game significantly", but, as with any other game in the world, sometimes you have to dumb down your game to keep it alive and to keep it accessible to as many people as you can.

• Upvote 4

I see a point in having different cities for the game economy, but not in having to micromanage travel. Maybe instead of shutting locations off we could just reduce the number of cities, scale them to the active player base?

For flights I'd rather see something simpler like a per fighter setting where you can pick economy/first class, quality of hotel or other options. Just have the game change money/energy according to settings without micromanagement or risk of getting stuck.

This game has more content around booking private jet flights than it has for booking the actual fights.

• Upvote 2

I absolutely see where you are coming from. And I also do think that it is stupid, that auto-flights do not work both ways (back and forth). The lost training sessions are not that dramatic imo, because you don’t want to train right before a fight anyway (or at least keep the schedule for the fighter very soft).

Here would be an idea: Ditch the loss in fitness and morale because of traveling altogether! Certainly as far as it concerns flights, which are booked in good time. What does that feature add anyway?

What bothers me about the locations being little more than meaningless flim-flam, is that it significantly factors into the overall broken economy of this game. The fighting aspect of it is fine for the most part (the actual fights). But the fact that the most potent source of revenue in this game is ripping off your fighters to an extent, that would even disgust Don King, says a lot. And again, the localization aspect of it all not mattering factors in. Because gym fees notwithstanding, your fighters don’t need money for a damn thing (with potential traveling expenses being out of the window). They are walking bank accounts.

• Lack of gyms in that org's city,
  • Your gym is not in that org's city,
  • Your fighter's contract is only 2-3 fights are you're unsure about re-signing there afterwards,
  • You don't have the budget to move base,
  • You don't want to lose energy + morale + time on your fighter to lose precious training time. Time is money, and you don't have enough money to sacrifice time.

See, and that is what I don't regard as something intrinsically bad. Because these considerations create demand! Demand for training opportunities, demand for better payment from the orgs and better contracts, when they fancy bringing in guys from all corners of the world, demand for a sufficient local talent pool on behalf of the gym owners and orgs ..... and demand runs the economy! An economy, that as it stands, doesn't even exist. Right now the world map is a fancy tool if I want to know, what time it is in Hilo or on the imaginative Island (the Island itself BTW is an excellent example for how and why the economy works …. as soon as it HAS to.)

Both of you guys have very valid, well-reasoned points here, and I cannot say with any degree of confidence which is better. I think some middle of the road agreement needs to be met especially so if Mike does not want to scrap a sizable and likely time intensive aspect of the game altogether. Private jets were a cool and ultimately pretty intensive update for the game. I am sure it was no mean feat to code all of that. However, now that locations are off my private jet is more or less strictly for laundry and only for my own fighters at that. There is not really any need to move fighter base so it is even largely pointless for that. Scraping flights and locations altogether on a permanent basis would mean that i may as well just scrap my private jet unless I want to keep it around strictly as a status symbol. I'm not arguing in favor of flights just so I don't feel like I lost money on the purchase of a jet, but it is an aspect that would be frustrating.

I agree with Listerman about the relief that is felt not having to book flights for 20 fighters. It was time consuming and more than a little irritating. Especially since everything was in GMT. It could be really confusing to say the least. For example... I live in Ohio, but my fight is in Sydney, and the time is in GMT.... what fucking time do I need to set the flight for again? However, I also perfectly understand the need for there to be public gyms and that the no locations thing dis-incentivizes opening one. Everything Kalle says is spot on also. At the very least the flight system needs a massive overhaul. It is too difficult for many to figure out or even find in some cases since the airplane makes it counter intuitive to scheduling flights. I can easily see how a noob can see the picture of an airplane and think that is how they schedule flights only to discover that, that is exclusively for private jets. Map>Schedule Flights doesn't sound that hard but for a noob dealing with the rest of the huge learning curve of this game it can become a nightmare figuring out how to get your fighter to the right place. in fact, that and the large number of No Contest fights due to fighters being in the wrong location was why Mike killed it in the first place.

In conclusion, I think there needs to be major, permanent change in the way flights work but it needs to find a way to be easy, not morale and energy sapping to the extent that it is and encourage development of those individual locations with Gyms that are affordable and effective for training those who do not have access to private gyms.

I had put together a proposal for this and many other possible changes and upgrades and given it to Mike years ago. Perhaps it is time for me to draft something else and get it to Mike again...

• Upvote 2