The Football (Soccer) Thread

Mentor

To get this started, it is 5-6 days before the start of the season and.............................Spurs have not signed ANYONE! They are running a surplus in the transfer windows for the past 5 years, something absolutely unheard of in EPL football.

I think Levy totally screwed this team from at least one title for being such a tight ass. Not sure, but i see us struggling to compete for a top 4 spot this year, a lot of our regulars are already 30ish, it won't be easy.

1. Liverpool

2. Man City

3. Man U

4. Spurs

(Although I hope 3 and 4 are reversed. Man U have a lot of good players, despite Jose's nonsense. And clearly Spurs have an excellent team, but if they get a couple of crucial injuries their squad could be exposed.)

5. Arsenal

6. someone

7. Chelsea. ..or lower.

Some players wanting to leave, Sarri hasn't been there long enough, there's so many players for him to get to know. Kovacic is coming in, him and Jorginho and Kante is a powerful sounding midfield. If only they had a good striker, and defence! I feel sorry for Loftus Cheek though, back to Palace for him?!

1. Liverpool

2. Man City

3. Man U

4. Spurs

(Although I hope 3 and 4 are reversed. Man U have a lot of good players, despite Jose's nonsense. And clearly Spurs have an excellent team, but if they get a couple of crucial injuries their squad could be exposed.)

5. Arsenal

6. someone

7. Chelsea. ..or lower.

Some players wanting to leave, Sarri hasn't been there long enough, there's so many players for him to get to know. Kovacic is coming in, him and Jorginho and Kante is a powerful sounding midfield. If only they had a good striker, and defence! I feel sorry for Loftus Cheek though, back to Palace for him?!

Definitely don't see Liverpool winning the title, wouldn't be extremely shocked but I expect City to finish above them, they are better by a good margin at the moment. Between United and Liverpool I would have to favor Liverpool in terms of quality, but Liverpool has shown to be inconsistent under Klopp, losing or drawing games they should be winning, Mourinho has shown to be more consistent at the very least, and knows how to get results. I agree Arsenal will finish outside of the top four, but also think Chelsea will finish above them, Arsenal's defense is simply far too weak, and wit the high pressing game Emery wants to use, that will be exposed. I say this as an Arsenal fan- Sokratis and Mustafi do not make the cut. The bright spot for Arsenal are the signings of Torreira and Guendozi, who could fix some of Arsenal's long standing midfield issues. However neither of them truly protect the back line, which imo Arsenal need. West Ham have made some decent signings, and while I see them no where near the top six, they could place between 8-12 imo.

Fucking Spurs did not buy anyone, the first time in the EPL for the past 15 years. I am slightly optimistic though because we have several players back, last year we played most of the year with key injuries to Kane, Toby, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Lamela and Moura joined mid season, i think he will be better this year. That said, if we are hit with those type of injures again, we will struggle to make top 4.

We also failed in 3 major area's, #1 we failed to keep our youth (2 of our best prospects left on the minimum to EU teams) and we failed to renew contracts to Toby, Dembele. We could of sold both this summer for a joint 65-70m and by next summer we will make under 25m due to their clauses. We also failed to offload players who are either getting old or simply do cut it or are not happy (namely Nkodou, Llorente, Sissoko, Toby, Rose, Dembele, Jansen etc). It was a bad summer for us, Levy should of done better after Pouche showed loyalty and with the new stadium coming up.

• 5 months later...

Slight mixed feeling with Wolves this season so far. Super pumped about current ladder position (8th) but difference between our best and worst is too far apart. Draws against City, United, Arsenal. Wins over Tottenham and Chelsea. But then losses against Brighton, Huddersfield, Cardiff, draw with Fulham.

Fucking Spurs did not buy anyone, the first time in the EPL for the past 15 years. I am slightly optimistic though because we have several players back, last year we played most of the year with key injuries to Kane, Toby, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Lamela and Moura joined mid season, i think he will be better this year. That said, if we are hit with those type of injures again, we will struggle to make top 4.

We also failed in 3 major area's, #1 we failed to keep our youth (2 of our best prospects left on the minimum to EU teams) and we failed to renew contracts to Toby, Dembele. We could of sold both this summer for a joint 65-70m and by next summer we will make under 25m due to their clauses. We also failed to offload players who are either getting old or simply do cut it or are not happy (namely Nkodou, Llorente, Sissoko, Toby, Rose, Dembele, Jansen etc). It was a bad summer for us, Levy should of done better after Pouche showed loyalty and with the new stadium coming up.

Mentor support spurs lmao
  • Downvote 2

Slight mixed feeling with Wolves this season so far. Super pumped about current ladder position (8th) but difference between our best and worst is too far apart. Draws against City, United, Arsenal. Wins over Tottenham and Chelsea. But then losses against Brighton, Huddersfield, Cardiff, draw with Fulham.

Yeah, Wolves has been super inconsistent, either way, i am sure the fans are very happy with the year in general. I mean how many teams in the league can boast getting 9 points off the top 6 at the mid season point?

• 1 month later...

how is this season? I started watching the sport shortly after joining this game but lately with my schedule I don't watch anything beyond UFC if that.

Yeah, the English teams in the top 6 are high quality now. Apparently, this is the highest ever amount of points gathered by the top 6 in the history of English football. You could argue it is because the other teams are much worse (which is not the case, their budgets are all time high), it is the higher competition levels i think.

The premier league is a cut above all the others by far. I'm a Juventus fan (not because of Ronaldo, kind of hate that dude, but appreciate his talent) but Serie A is a bit of a joke as they waltz through their competition but really enjoy the big premier league games. Rooting for Liverpool to win this year.

• 2 weeks later...

WHY DUDE ITS THE GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD

I stopped watching because i had enough spending time on shit i cannot influence where more often than not they perform below expectations. I also stopped at the right time it seems because Spurs is 1 point out of 15 since i stopped, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I find it amazing how man u can go from being shit under mourinho to being great (points wise) with ole as interim manager back to being shockingly shit as soon as hes given the job full time lol.

Sell: Pogba hes the "star" but wont put a proper shift in & just flings his arms about. Sell lukaku his movement is nowhere to be seen & he just isnt a top top striker & for his size his hold up playing is terrible. Sanchez, Young, Smalling, Rojo, Matic, Mata (past his best to slow) Jones all need to go. Lingard still not sold on but isnt the worst. Rashford looks good at times but a lot of the time hes actually abit blah but thats probably because the service he gets isnt great. Martial has speed but doesnt do anything with it & couldnt find a team mate if his life depended on it, sell him. De Gea has been shocking this year but hes been the best keeper in the world the past 4/5 seasons so cant be selling him yet.

United are still a huge club but im not sure the best of the best would be willing to go there right now so its going to be a difficult summer for them but they should be able to find some quality that is better than this lot. The trouble is people have been saying the same thing for the past 5/6 years. There is something very wrong either in their scouting of players or theres a good shout that Woodward is the real problem & wont back the manager but we shall see in the next few months.

They looked alright for a time against City, but their passing started to get worse and worse, in particular Fred and Pereira. They might turn out good one day, but I’m surprised Herrera is frozen out/being sold, he’s a consistent top player like they need.

Plenty to sell, but who will buy on those wages? Italian clubs, USA? And if you are a top young talent wanting to move you wouldn’t choose Man U over any of the other big European teams these days.

Tricky and expensive situation they’ve found themselves in.