Teshimo Shigochiyo

Bleakardor

Fighter Interview: Teshimo Shigochiyo

J.W. "Hello Teshima, thank you for taking the time to sit down and talk to me today. I know you are busy training for your upcoming fight with Corbin Leopold, so I'll jump right into it."

Teshimo "Refreshed and ready to go for another training session. I am feeling pretty great actually, thank you for asking."

J.W. "Corbin Leopold is a very good fighter, having held the title on two separate occasions. How do you feel about this opponent?"

Teshimo "Corbin is a champion material, I really believe that. That will be my strongest test since the beginning of my career. Not only his wrestling abilities are far beyond anyone I know, but he can stand and bang as they say, so I'll have to be at my peak to defeat him, that's for sure. That will be definitely a tough nut to crack. I wish him good luck in the upcoming days. Love his style."

J.W. "You have previously defeated Rodrigo Lima at HFC 5, an impressive submission that I don't think anyone predicted. Did you feel you were going to win that fight as you stepped into the cage?"

Teshimo "It's never like that. You come into the cage/ring with an empty mind. You want to win, but at the time it's all about seeing holes in opponent's game. You adapt to every moment to seek an advantage and when it's there, you use it and then maybe you'll be victorious. Anybody that says he knows he gets the guy in this or that round via KO or submission wants mostly to convince himself, not the audience or promoters. If your mentality is like that, well then in my opinion it becomes a problem. Rodrigo is a great guy and have a tremendous BJJ as you can see on his record. Mistake was made on his part, that's it. Does not mean he'll not bounce back. I hope he will."

J.W. "You're sitting at 5-1, and have won all three of your HFC fights. You now face a former champion, if you win this fight, how close do you think you'll be to facing the #1 contender to earn your shot at the gold?"

Teshimo "I do not really know. To be honest - I do not think about the title and contenders either. I want to be the best without focusing on the belt, as they are just "indicators" of your progress. Personally I prefer feeling better about my skills and people appreciating my work rather then just looking at the rankings and occupying my mind with what will happen in next year or two. Who knows? Let's stay in the present. Now it's time for Corbin and me to cross our paths. That's what I think about."

J.W. "Rising, a song by Yoshida Brothers. Is there something special about this song that made you choose it for your walk in music?"

Teshimo "I just love this band, been listening to them for about a decade or so. "Rising" keeps me concentrated when I walk out. Brings the samurai spirit to my body. *laughs slightly*"

J.W. "I see you are starting to pick up some more fans, do you have a message you would like to get out to them?"

Teshimo "I could quote thousands of influential people's speeches, but I'll stick to the greatest Bruce Lee and his philosophy - don't think, try to be the best than you can - shapeless. Remember, limitations are only brought on you by yourself, not fans or your enemies in this case. Thank you for your support, it really means world to me. Also, be a better person everyday and share love. Leave animosity in the cage. *smiles*"

J.W. "How about your nickname, Nightingale. Where did you come up with this name?"

Teshimo "My brother Itsugo gave it to me when I was 10 years old because of my fragile body and my calmful behavior. *laughs again* Also it sticks to me, because I love spring. It's that simple."

J.W. "Okay Nightingale, do you have any words for your upcoming opponent, Leopold?"

Teshimo "Good luck, Corbin. I really admire what you have done here in HFC, you showed to be the worthy opponent. I hope we both stay healthy before and after the fight. Thank you for opportunity."

J.W. "You've been in the HFC for a while now and had some success. What is your opinion on this organization so far?"

Teshimo "There was a lot of backlash on us as well, because of the merging situation and previous owner's "not so honest" doings, but after all I feel pretty good about my future here. It better now than it's been during SMASH days in my opinion."

J.W. "In an effort to help your fans learn a little more about you and possibly gain you some new fans, tell us a little bit about yourself outside of the cage? Who is the real Teshima Shigochiyo?"

Teshimo "Teshima is a friend, a brother and a fighter. Just trying to make a living and move forward what he already accomplished, his success. Do not make me a star or anything like that. Just trying to be the best for me. I put up my fighting spirit in the cage, outside of it I am a normal person who tries to make good deeds. That what I define as HARDCORE. *winks*"

J.W. "Thank you for your time Teshima, I look forward to watching your fight against Leopold. This will no doubt be a tough fight against a solid opponent, but you've already proved you are HARDCORE with your resounding victory over Rodrigo Lima, and I think anyone who counts you out is making a mistake. Good luck in that fight and I look forward to seeing your career unfold."