From Gatekeeper to Champ

PBR

maybe im not understanding what your trying to say or something -- you make it sound as if he is losing standup he will try take down or clinch -- not that he want change other tatics like turning into counter / agg fighters or switch up to more kicks -- is that what your saying

Exactly.

So I'm curious.. I found out recently one of my GnP fighters has high IQ. He scored a 133 and 142 on back to back tests. (same week!) He's also been interviewed 3 times for MMA documentaries.

I'm starting to develop his standing a little just to add a more well rounded game, but he is, and will be, a grappler. My question about him is two fold, and since there are some very knowledgeable managers in this thread, and the topic is the same, I would love to hear your opinions on this.

1) Should I continue to focus on his ground game (having solid standing def already) due to the IQ being of greater benefit to the ground, or round him out a little so that I can take advantage of SHiG for him?

2) with 140+ IQ think it's a huge roll of the dice to put him at 100% SHIG (or should it wait until he's more well rounded?)

So I'm curious.. I found out recently one of my GnP fighters has high IQ. He scored a 133 and 142 on back to back tests. (same week!) He's also been interviewed 3 times for MMA documentaries.

I'm starting to develop his standing a little just to add a more well rounded game, but he is, and will be, a grappler. My question about him is two fold, and since there are some very knowledgeable managers in this thread, and the topic is the same, I would love to hear your opinions on this.

1) Should I continue to focus on his ground game (having solid standing def already) due to the IQ being of greater benefit to the ground, or round him out a little so that I can take advantage of SHiG for him?

2) with 140+ IQ think it's a huge roll of the dice to put him at 100% SHIG (or should it wait until he's more well rounded?)

This is an excellent set of questions and thoughts, and I'm going to be watching this very closely for the responses to learn a bit from it also!

• Upvote 1

After his 3rd documentary I decided to use an IQ test on him. He scored a 133. A few days later, he got a random IQ test and scored a 142. So from what I've read, that's probably his range, which I'm quite happy with.

Just can't believe he finally took his own IQ test a few days after he I gave him one.. I waited forever to try and get one.. lol But, guess he wasn't satisfied with the score and had to do better.

• Upvote 1

Exactly.

interesting cause im not so sure but i dont know for sure either -- i have had him and other fighters change tatics were set agg and then countered more or set to punch more but ended up kicking more ------ could be bad rng i guess but it still pay off

• Upvote 1

I don't think SHIG works properly/effectively but its impossible for me to tell.

I've used it probably 50 times at least. 100% SHIG, 70% SHIG. 50% SHIG. Most success I found with it, mixed results, Ben Stone and Abe Donowitz. Both high IQ fighters, but really don't feel like SHIG played much of a factor in their wins or losses.

If he has GNP, that's a tough call. Do whatever you think you want for your fighter build

If you want the best chance at success recipe, don't build grapplers. Invest in punch, kicks, clinch, striking def, TD def, trans, def grap, and escapes. All elite physicals. That's the stereotypical thing build of streaking success.

But that is a bit boring, doing same thing over and over.

• Upvote 1

If he has GNP, that's a tough call. Do whatever you think you want for your fighter build

If you want the best chance at success recipe, don't build grapplers. Invest in punch, kicks, clinch, striking def, TD def, trans, def grap, and escapes. All elite physicals. That's the stereotypical thing build of streaking success.

But that is a bit boring, doing same thing over and over.

The GOAT said it!

I don't think it's a big deal that strikers dominate the game and tend to be the cookie cutter way to success. IRL grapplers lose fights all the time because they can't get their guy down. Plus, all fights start upright.

Yeah but in Tycoon a purple belt is enough to most times stop a legit black belt.

Like the running joke in the MMA Community of "6 months of TDD training" goes it is a bit of a joke because in Tycoon this is actually a huge deservice done to some of the best grapplers that might look into transitioning to MMA.

In Tycoon Damian Maia stays just doing grappling tourneys and we never get to experience his art.

• Downvote 2

Congratulations on the win! Well deserved. Not sure why you thought i was trying to build Crotch Grabber's record with an easy win. I put him in that fight because he was the highest ranking contender and deserved to be there. I do not "build" anyone's record and never had, all fights are based on record, hype and previous matchup's.

You do have a history of gifting OTN awards to favored fighters while snubbing every other fighter on the card.

Total Of the Night Awards

Renan St Juste (60)

Raz Matazz (49)

Raz and Renan probably deserved a half of those. Not related to matchups though lol.

• Upvote 2

Go for 100% SHIG now, it’s fun! Although if his range is 130-140 IQ then you could give him 5-10% instructions (90-95% SHIG). Even is he is a gnp primarily he will need punches (to know how to defend punches) clinch and str def, and ideally some kicks to know how to defend kicks. But if his takedowns and ground sliders are top notch he will do well for you as a grappling MMArtist.

SHIG supposedly affects all sliders, except the counter-aggression and accuracy-damage ones. So he will decide when to clinch, when to shoot, when to pass guard etc. And you can give him high swing seconds, and do the predictions with adapt to fight ticked, to really maximise his chances of using his big brain.

• Upvote 1

Go for 100% SHIG now, it’s fun! Although if his range is 130-140 IQ then you could give him 5-10% instructions (90-95% SHIG). Even is he is a gnp primarily he will need punches (to know how to defend punches) clinch and str def, and ideally some kicks to know how to defend kicks. But if his takedowns and ground sliders are top notch he will do well for you as a grappling MMArtist.

SHIG supposedly affects all sliders, except the counter-aggression and accuracy-damage ones. So he will decide when to clinch, when to shoot, when to pass guard etc. And you can give him high swing seconds, and do the predictions with adapt to fight ticked, to really maximise his chances of using his big brain.

Thanks Bwang!

Congrats Captain Spaulding. It's been very cool keeping an eye on Paulin over the past couple of years coming from one of my 18 year old creation tournaments. Not many of those fighters still going and certainly not as champions of the longest serving org in the game.

Interesting to see how other participants in creation tourney's did later in their career. It would be funny to find some story of a guy who got KOed in the first round and later went on to win a world title in a PPV level organization.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thierry Paulin (-150) v Sunray Spike (-150)

So will Paulin continue on with his hunt of the #1 spot or will his journey end against Spike -- http://www.mmatycoon.com/orgupcomingeventpublic.php?EvID=934562 two days left and we will see

If Paulin wins his next fight, Conquer will make him a sweet custom set.

• Upvote 3