Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

• 2 weeks later...

it crossed my mind as well, but when you think about it... the point of changing your strategy per round is in reaction to what your opponent is doing right? Like if you're getting owned on your feet for the first round, then you'll wanna take it to the ground.. but if your first round is going great (for whatever reason), then you'll wanna keep with that strategy.

• Upvote 3

hmmm... I just dont see the direct benefit of it. The reason why a fighter would change his tactics between rounds is usually in reaction to what his opponent is doing. Very seldom do you see a fighter change tactics dramatically between rounds as a predetermined strategy. I cant speak for everyone, but I know that I dont have a good enough grasp of the tactics to put together a solid strategy that would take advantage of mixing it up between rounds.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There could exist a strategy change section in the fight tactics settings.

This would allow a fighter who is losing one aspect of the fight to alter his strategy. The setting could control the sensitivity level that defines whether or not a fighter was "losing" a particular aspect of the fight. Conditional logic could then exist allowing a manager to set which fight aspect to increase when losing at another, allowing a fighter to increase takedowns at a certain point in the fight if he is getting beat standing, or vice versa.

The flip side of reacting to a stronger opponent is capitalizing on a weaker opponent. A similar sensitivity setting could exist determining if a specific type of attack (punch, kick, elbow, knee, takedown, ground&pound, ...) is overly successful, allowing the fighter to increase this action.

• 1 month later...
There could exist a strategy change section in the fight tactics settings.

This would allow a fighter who is losing one aspect of the fight to alter his strategy. The setting could control the sensitivity level that defines whether or not a fighter was "losing" a particular aspect of the fight. Conditional logic could then exist allowing a manager to set which fight aspect to increase when losing at another, allowing a fighter to increase takedowns at a certain point in the fight if he is getting beat standing, or vice versa.

The flip side of reacting to a stronger opponent is capitalizing on a weaker opponent. A similar sensitivity setting could exist determining if a specific type of attack (punch, kick, elbow, knee, takedown, ground&pound, ...) is overly successful, allowing the fighter to increase this action.

Isn't that pretty much reflected in the "Swing for the Fences / Stick to the Gameplan" and "Follow My Orders / See How it Goes" bars?

• Upvote 1

Isn't that pretty much reflected in the "Swing for the Fences / Stick to the Gameplan" and "Follow My Orders / See How it Goes" bars?

My thoughts exactly

• Upvote 1

Well, the swing seconds is part of it... Also, the "follow orders / see how it goes" is basically what you're talking about, but without you actually choosing their plan B. But if you set them to see how it goes they will be more likely to change their gameplan if it's not going well.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
it crossed my mind as well, but when you think about it... the point of changing your strategy per round is in reaction to what your opponent is doing right? Like if you're getting owned on your feet for the first round, then you'll wanna take it to the ground.. but if your first round is going great (for whatever reason), then you'll wanna keep with that strategy.

I agree.

I love that Mike is constantly thinking on things to improve the game though.

Since we won't be able to change strategy in real time, what's the point?

Wapttn summarized it pretty well.

In real life you change strategy on the fly, you don't decide before a fight ok 1st round I do this, 2nd round I do that. You might have a plan b and a plan c, no doubt. If everything goes well with plan a, you won't go to plan b because you decided so before the fight.

But I like the idea of conserving energy in the first round then going all out in the second or keeping the same tempo all fight long or rushing like a madman right after the bell. That would be pretty interesting and realistic.

In real life you change strategy on the fly, you don't decide before a fight ok 1st round I do this, 2nd round I do that. You might have a plan b and a plan c, no doubt. If everything goes well with plan a, you won't go to plan b because you decided so before the fight.

But I like the idea of conserving energy in the first round then going all out in the second or keeping the same tempo all fight long or rushing like a madman right after the bell. That would be pretty interesting and realistic.

yes, good points. having the same gameplan/tactic-system as now just for round 2 and 3 etc. doesnt make sense imo. but something like saving energy early for possible later rounds, or even being able to set tactics in place that IF a certain scenario happens (like getting dominated with takedowns) then the fighter changes his approach ... would be neat as hell.

That's not true at all. Just off the top of my head in his last post-fight interview with Joe Rogan Marcus Davis was talking about how he used body kicks in the first and second round to lower Chris Lytle's left hand to go for head kicks in the third round.

Georges St.Pierre in rounds 1 and 2 against BJ Penn used a strategy of clinching against the cage to wear out Penn then switched his strategy in rounds 3 and 4 to takedown and G&P his way to victory.

That's not true at all. Just off the top of my head in his last post-fight interview with Joe Rogan Marcus Davis was talking about how he used body kicks in the first and second round to lower Chris Lytle's left hand to go for head kicks in the third round.

Georges St.Pierre in rounds 1 and 2 against BJ Penn used a strategy of clinching against the cage to wear out Penn then switched his strategy in rounds 3 and 4 to takedown and G&P his way to victory.

What you say about GSP is true but I would say only partially. His gameplan was in fact to clinch BJ against the cage to tire him out in the beggining BUT I don't think that it was set in stone that in round 1 & 2 you do this specifically and then for the rest of the fight go for G&P.

I am sure that if GSP saw that BJ was already gassed in the middle of the 1st round he would have went to the next step of his plan or let's say that BJ would have still been fresh at the beggining of the 3rd then in this case GSP would have probably still wanted to tire him some more before bringing him to the ground.

Davis vs Lytle is one of my most hated fight. It was like a Kimbo fight, Stand-up only fixed match but let's say that if the body kicks had done their work earlier, Davis would have went for the HK earlier also. If Lytle wouldn't have lowered his left hand then Davis would have probably not went for the High kicks...

Maybe it was their gameplans before the fights and all went like they wanted but if things would have went differently, would they have still followed that gameplan? What i'm trying to say is that something can't be set in stone, unchanging.

being able to set tactics in place that IF a certain scenario happens (like getting dominated with takedowns) then the fighter changes his approach ... would be neat

What you say about GSP is true but I would say only partially. His gameplan was in fact to clinch BJ against the cage to tire him out in the beggining BUT I don't think that it was set in stone that in round 1 & 2 you do this specifically and then for the rest of the fight go for G&P.

I am sure that if GSP saw that BJ was already gassed in the middle of the 1st round he would have went to the next step of his plan or let's say that BJ would have still been fresh at the beggining of the 3rd then in this case GSP would have probably still wanted to tire him some more before bringing him to the ground.

Davis vs Lytle is one of my most hated fight. It was like a Kimbo fight, Stand-up only fixed match but let's say that if the body kicks had done their work earlier, Davis would have went for the HK earlier also. If Lytle wouldn't have lowered his left hand then Davis would have probably not went for the High kicks...

Maybe it was their gameplans before the fights and all went like they wanted but if things would have went differently, would they have still followed that gameplan? What i'm trying to say is that something can't be set in stone, unchanging.

Isn't that what the "see how it goes" slider is for?

I mean, I'm not trying to argue with you here. If you don't like the idea then that's cool. All I'm saying is that high-level mixed martial artists frequently do certain things early in a fight to set up opportunities for themselves later in a fight. I think that Mike adding this element of gameplanning to MMATycoon would be excellent!

Isn't that what the "see how it goes" slider is for?

I mean, I'm not trying to argue with you here. If you don't like the idea then that's cool. All I'm saying is that high-level mixed martial artists frequently do certain things early in a fight to set up opportunities for themselves later in a fight. I think that Mike adding this element of gameplanning to MMATycoon would be excellent!

I'm not trying to argue either, I'm sure that the boss thought about this improvement for some time and when it will come out we will all like it. It's just that right now it's we don't really have any idea what it's going to be.

I think it's a great improvement.

What would also be great is a choice of strategies such as pulling guard and sweeping in contrast with usual shoot for the takedown. Or leg kicking the first round then stick and move the secon, then take down and G&P the third. You know.

If something like that sounds too complicated it probably is, meaning simplifying orders is necessarry, but if you think someone is going for the same thing every fight you could MURDER him with the complex ability to set future tactics.

If that sounds right, I'm in a hurry.

Also if nothing else, I would love to be able to set energy expendeture from each position, like, on bottom vs on top, or if in the clinch, go for a ton of damage or chill or use a ton of energy to explode for an escape.

You know, controlling energy usage and in what position, and for offensive or escaping purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be a nice feature, but the current setup of the game would lesson it a little.

A General strategy of "conserving round 1, go for it round 2, LnP round 3 type" thing would be alright, but I think it would have a minimal outcome on the fight from a logistical standpoint.

The only way I see it being fun is if you are actually able to review each round, change your gameplan based on performance, and then have round 2 go differently, rinse repeat. But this would require both users be "at the fight" when it happens which is not really how the game is setup.

I think the way it is now is fine, personally. The stall/aggressive meters let the fighter judge how much energy to conserve and such. Unless it could be done round per round on a viewing basis, I am not sure.

Fake edit: Unless you make some sort of tree strategy. Like if he is lossing on the feet round one, change strat to takedowns. If not, push the pace ont he feet. But this would have to be down prefight.

I like it.

I had a fight the other day and my opponent came in with only 50% energy. His guy was a GnPer and my guy was a standup clinch guy. I would of loved to of had the option to stay on the outside from him for the first round and tried to tire him out and then moved in later in the fight for some clinch work.

Or have the opportunity to be more aggressive early on and conservative later on or vice versa, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
It'd be good to have a what if... mode

way too many of those in a fight --- but being able to change certain tatics per round is a nice idea --- as stated like the stay on outside or clinch and maybe aggressive or counter