Learning from fights!

Shako

(I just put the '!' to make the title sound exciting ...)

I'm a hopelessly new noob, so I'm just throwing this out there for opinions...

Fighters only gain Conditioning from fights. Why?

In the 'Game engine' thread people are throwing around ideas saying that perhaps it takes too long to get a fighter ready to fight.

Again in various threads, there's a great deal of wailing about cookie-cutter builds

New players don't easily have access to elite gyms, but they DO have access to fights.

New players need to fight to really learn how to play, so encouraging more/earlier fights would help them get interested and help them to really get into the game.

New players need money, but soon learn that building a fighter with a completely distorted skill set is the way to go (110 cardio, and other points spread where you want, 110 in punches, kicks, clinch or Striking def etc..., 110 in MT or Wrestling). Actually fighting more than a QF to see hiddens with a fighter like this doesn't make sense, which happens to dry up new players only real source of revenue...

There's a whole process of experience and learning and discovering the true potential of a fighter in real life. You can't tuck a prissy 18 (16!!) year-old 'fighter' (sic!) away for a few years and have him step out of the gym a freaking BEAST...just doesn't/can't happen!

Why is it possible here?

Why not make it so that fighters DO gain skills from fights? Make the skills correspond to the actual roll-out of the fight. (ie Your guy gets KOed in 10 seconds without throwing a punch = 0 skills, Your guy goes 3 rounds with a lot of (successful!?) punches thrown, minutes spent in clinches and gets a takedown = boost to punches/clinch/strength...whatever. Winner gets more gains than loser.

Your guy was supposed to be a grappler, but spends 3 rounds punching and in clinches...he gains those skills.

Since I 'm new and don't have a huge stable of ready-trained star fighters, I'll even go one further and suggest extra 'truly hidden' hiddens like 'born puncher', 'likes to go to ground', 'keeps his feet well' and skills gained are modified by these hiddens....basically meaning that fighters have a fighting style/potential born into them...the managers job is to find it and develop it.

Does that mean we might kinda lose control of a fighter's destiny...maybe.

Again, just kicking around an idea that came to me reading the 36 PAGES of discussion about the game engine :)

• Upvote 7

Obviously I don't mean this should replace normal training, but add to it

Also...might need to have another hidden. Some fighters (thinking of some top muy thai fighters) fight hundreds of fights and seem fine, other fighters are hard as nails when they are young and punch drunk or arthritic washups when they hit 40. People shouldn't be able to find someone who never gets many injury days and just thrash out fights every 4 days...

Well...I'm not sure how it works right now....so I have no idea about that.

I just reread my post from yesterday and it isn't as clear as I would have liked.... I'll paraphrase here.

-Let fighters gain skill from fighting.

-Let the skill that is gained correspond to what actually happens in the fight.

(Maybe) - Let fighters learn certain skills from fights better than they learn other skills...pointing the manager towards their 'natural' tendency as a fighter.

• Upvote 1

I like this idea. Most of it anyway. I dont know if it would work with the build you create in the gym, but there could be an extra skill tier gained strictly from fights. It makes sense. I worry about people complaining about gaining skills they didnt want though which is why i suggest a separate set of skill points gained from fights.

I see a lot of people unhappy about the way Gyms work.

For a simple overhaul of the whole system, let fighters gain skill from fighting (or get a training bonus in training skills used in their last fight AND let fighters be coaches too!

Older fighters who only train to avoid depopping could coach other lower fighters. The 'coach fighter' doesn't gain skill points, but time spent coaching helps avoid depop in that skill.

That way gyms become viable/profitable and older fighters are useful. I like the idea of a close-knit team in a gym...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...