Mike Tyson vs Muhammad Ali

bjornmma1

None the less, Tyson Vs Ali, man you can't have a fight that you flip flop more on. On one hand, Ali could dance around on the outside and land the jab. His straight right was so much stronger than it looked and Tyson could maybe get lit up badly from it. On the other side, Tyson had the ridiculous cardio to move his entire upperbody and dodge shots for as many rounds as the fight went on and if Ali spent several rounds missing shots, he'd probably start to change something up a bit. Tyson also has probably the most devastating one punch power in sporting history and we'd seen Ali go down at the hands of another insane puncher, Joe Frazier. If Tyson landed like Frazier did, the fight would have been over, as Tyson is essentially a super version of Smokin Joe.

I think this is interesting. Forget Ali vs Tyson for a moment. Think of Tyson vs Frazier. Is Tyson really a "Super-Frazier"? I can understand the assumption that he was better. Objectively speaking, Tyson was much better defensively and almost certainly more dangerous. But you are comparing an early 70s athlete with a mid 80s athlete. I know a decade doesn't seem like much, but that was a special time when all sports got serious in a new way, IMO. More professional and scientific. I mean there were such improvements in training, injury treatment, diet, etc (not to mention the use of dubious or illegal "extras") that, had Frazier been an 80s fighter, he might have qualified as a "Super-Frazier" himself.

Then you can make a similar comparison between Ali and Lewis (even more separated by time). I'm no boxing expert (obviously), but I watched everything from late 70s to late 90s and this is how it seems to me. It's like we don't even have to ask "what would happen in an Ali/Tyson fight?" because it virtually happened when Tyson fought Lewis.

I don't have the knowledge to back it up, but my instinct is that I CAN imagine Tyson taking apart Foreman or Holmes (as great as they were) but I think Ali would have had much the same outcome as Lewis for Tyson.

I think this is interesting. Forget Ali vs Tyson for a moment. Think of Tyson vs Frazier. Is Tyson really a "Super-Frazier"? I can understand the assumption that he was better. Objectively speaking, Tyson was much better defensively and almost certainly more dangerous. But you are comparing an early 70s athlete with a mid 80s athlete. I know a decade doesn't seem like much, but that was a special time when all sports got serious in a new way, IMO. More professional and scientific. I mean there were such improvements in training, injury treatment, diet, etc (not to mention the use of dubious or illegal "extras") that, had Frazier been an 80s fighter, he might have qualified as a "Super-Frazier" himself.

Then you can make a similar comparison between Ali and Lewis (even more separated by time). I'm no boxing expert (obviously), but I watched everything from late 70s to late 90s and this is how it seems to me. It's like we don't even have to ask "what would happen in an Ali/Tyson fight?" because it virtually happened when Tyson fought Lewis.

I don't have the knowledge to back it up, but my instinct is that I CAN imagine Tyson taking apart Foreman or Holmes (as great as they were) but I think Ali would have had much the same outcome as Lewis for Tyson.

"what would happen in an Ali/Tyson fight?" because it virtually happened when Tyson fought Lewis.
your kidding right ? Thats not the same fighter i am talking about yes that guy loses to most any top ranked heavyweight
on November 22, 1986 Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion .
Mike tyson fought Lennox Lewis in 2002
that fight was no diff than Ali getting owned by larry holmes on October 2, 1980
Ali and tyson where both shells of the fighters they where

Tyson got dogged by Lennox Lewis the best fighter he faced

Lennox Lewis is not and never will be half the fighter mike was
Mike at his best Ko's Lewis before round 4
lewis chin was to soft for Mike tyson at his best 1985-1989
mike fought lennox in 2002

Lennox Lewis is not and never will be half the fighter mike was
Mike at his best Ko's Lewis before round 4
lewis chin was to soft for Mike tyson at his best 1985-1989
mike fought lennox in 2002

Dude your crazy Lennox is 2 years older than Mike everyone needs to stop with these excuses for why he got dogged, Tyson stans can't stand that Lewis outclassed him and put him on his ass in the 8th.

Lewis lost 2 fights and drew 1 and he avenged all of those!

Common opponents? Lewis really beat Holyfield twice (The draw was bullshit) and Tyson lost to him twice!

Lewis ran through Ruddock in the 2nd whilst Tyson decisioned him and put him away in the 7th!

Lewis fought better fighters. Respect to Iron Mike but his run of KO's was through a lot of nobodies

http://www.boxing.com/the_one_hundred_greatest_heavyweights_of_all_time_part_ten_10_1.html

Boxing.com top 10 heavyweights of all time

1. Ali

2. Joe Louis

3. Rocky Marciano (From the city right next to where I was born!)

4. Lennox Lewis

5. Joe Frazier

6. George Foreman

7. Larry Holmes

8. Sonny Liston

9. Jack Johnson

10. Mike Tyson

Out of all these guys Tyson defeated the 3rd least amount of top 100 HW's of all time after Liston and Foreman (But their records are also better)

Lewis defeated the most top 100 out of anyone besides Ali

Athletes bigger faster stronger now so yeah tough to compare different generational fighters.

I just am one of the very few in the corner of Tyson was a tad overrated. 10th all time HW is not shabby at all and I think 8-10 is fair for him I wouldn't go any higher because of his crummy losses and quality of opponent. He did revolutionize boxing for his time as an KO icon though and he had an amazing run

People talk about Tyson's layoff as the reason for his downfall, Ali was suspended for nearly 3 years and was still dominant afterwards

Admittedly Tyson worked through fighters in the 80's like no other boxer but Ali has fought much better fighters and was a one of a kind with his speed. He also has 5 inches on him and Tyson struggled with taller quick fighters

Dude your crazy Lennox is 2 years older than Mike everyone needs to stop with these excuses for why he got dogged, Tyson stans can't stand that Lewis outclassed him and put him on his ass in the 8th.

Lewis lost 2 fights and drew 1 and he avenged all of those!

Common opponents? Lewis really beat Holyfield twice (The draw was bullshit) and Tyson lost to him twice!

Lewis ran through Ruddock in the 2nd whilst Tyson decisioned him and put him away in the 7th!

Lewis fought better fighters. Respect to Iron Mike but his run of KO's was through a lot of nobodies

Heres what it comes down too Mike tyson at is best could beat any other man to put on gloves at there best

when mike fought Lennox his age did not matter mike was not even half the fighter he was in 1986 no version of Lewis beats that tyson

Here is a fact for you there was never a fighter like Mike tyson before him and there has not been anyone like him since !

combined power with speed, skill, discipline and technique= MIKE TYSON

Mike was by far the most explosive and powerful boxer ever He was like a pitbull ready to destroy anything in his path

Tyson under the guidance of Cus D'Amato and Kevin Rooney was unstoppable when Rooney was Tyson's trainer, Tyson had a record of 35 fights, 35 wins 31 wins by KO.

only when mike was no longer with rooney did mike lose .

http://www.boxing.com/the_one_hundred_greatest_heavyweights_of_all_time_part_ten_10_1.html

Boxing.com top 10 heavyweights of all time

1. Ali

2. Joe Louis

3. Rocky Marciano (From the city right next to where I was born!)

4. Lennox Lewis

5. Joe Frazier

6. George Foreman

7. Larry Holmes

8. Sonny Liston

9. Jack Johnson

10. Mike Tyson

Out of all these guys Tyson defeated the 3rd least amount of top 100 HW's of all time after Liston and Foreman (But their records are also better)

Lewis defeated the most top 100 out of anyone besides Ali

Not one of these great fighters could have beat Mike Tyson on Monday June 27, 1988 The night he beat Michael Spinks

Tyson ran through Spinks in the 1st, Lennox Lewis ran through Ruddock in the 2nd... Ruddock is better than Spinks, just saying think about it

Tyson was a machine I'm not doubting that but you guys seriously underestimate. Spinks was a light heavyweight most of his career and the Tyson fight was his last one, Tyson is not doing that to Ali, Lewis, Foreman etc.

Tyson ran through Spinks in the 1st, Lennox Lewis ran through Ruddock in the 2nd... Ruddock is better than Spinks, just saying think about it

Tyson was a machine I'm not doubting that but you guys seriously underestimate. Spinks was a light heavyweight most of his career and the Tyson fight was his last one, Tyson is not doing that to Ali, Lewis, Foreman etc.

its not about spinks at all

Tyson on that night could have beat anyone it does not matter who was in the other corner !

"The Tyson I had would have beat Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis. He would’ve beat all of them. Tyson’s losses are when he’s in never-never land.

I think he would have beaten Muhammad Ali in his prime. That would have been a hell of a fight.

I believe he would have knocked out Jack Dempsey. I believe he would have knocked out Rocky Marciano."

_Kevin Rooney_