The 2016/2017 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

As a Liverpool fan that was exciting, full on tension and nervousness yesterday! So pleased to get the right result. Fingers crossed we don't do a Celtic and go out in our qualifying round now! The most important part of getting champs league is the player recruitment ability. Even if we did go out in the qualifying round hopefully we'll have done our transfer business by then and significantly strengthened.

It's gonna be an exciting season again next year with the big six premiership teams. All have some form of European football so no one is getting the clear run Chelsea and Leicester had. I'm a bit concerned for Spurs with the seemingly imminent departure of Kyle Walker, not a great sign. It seems they still pay players half of what they could make elsewhere, so it'll be a challenge to keep their stars, however hardball Levy is.

I like all British teams to be successful, but I'm still hoping Ajax f up Mourinho's "masterplan" of abandoning league position to chase a one-off glory shot. If they do, it couldn't happen to a more pleasant and cheerful guy...

Glad to see the French fraud Wenger and his group of technically gifted invincibles finally finishing outside top 4.Ac Milan too has joined them in EL.This should be fun now.

Cant see Utd losing to Ajax.

As long as Utd dont concede more than one goal then they will win.i predict a 1-0 or 2-1 win.Ajax gave goals away from home in both away legs of previous rounds vs both top teams i.e Schalke and Lyon.If Utd can play this one match to their full potential then they can fuck up Ajax big time.

Glad to see the French fraud Wenger and his group of technically gifted invincibles finally finishing outside top 4.Ac Milan too has joined them in EL.This should be fun now.

Cant see Utd losing to Ajax.

As long as Utd dont concede more than one goal then they will win.i predict a 1-0 or 2-1 win.Ajax gave goals away from home in both away legs of previous rounds vs both top teams i.e Schalke and Lyon.If Utd can play this one match to their full potential then they can fuck up Ajax big time.

I bet 500k that Utd don't beat them in 90min.

• Upvote 1

It's gonna be an exciting season again next year with the big six premiership teams. All have some form of European football so no one is getting the clear run Chelsea and Leicester had. I'm a bit concerned for Spurs with the seemingly imminent departure of Kyle Walker, not a great sign. It seems they still pay players half of what they could make elsewhere, so it'll be a challenge to keep their stars, however hardball Levy is.

I like all British teams to be successful, but I'm still hoping Ajax f up Mourinho's "masterplan" of abandoning league position to chase a one-off glory shot. If they do, it couldn't happen to a more pleasant and cheerful guy...

Will be nice to see Ajax beat United for 2 reasons, #1 because Mourinho basically gave up on the league to put all his baskets into the Euro cup and #2 apparently if United win, Spurs will move into the 3rd pot for the Champions League.

As for Walker, i am not worried at all, Spurs has not sold a player due to pressure since we were forced to sell Bale and that was 5 years ago, the problem with the Walker situation is that some people think Trippier is as good if not better, i think offensively he is a better facilitator, however he lacks the pace and strength of Walker and defensively as we saw against United (who had Martial on the wing), he was a liability. So we could be selling Walker because we think Trippier is the answer, i do not see it that way, although he could be an option against lesser teams who plan to defend against us, against the big boys you still want Walker out there.

Will be nice to see Ajax beat United for 2 reasons, #1 because Mourinho basically gave up on the league to put all his baskets into the Euro cup and #2 apparently if United win, Spurs will move into the 3rd pot for the Champions League.

As for Walker, i am not worried at all, Spurs has not sold a player due to pressure since we were forced to sell Bale and that was 5 years ago, the problem with the Walker situation is that some people think Trippier is as good if not better, i think offensively he is a better facilitator, however he lacks the pace and strength of Walker and defensively as we saw against United (who had Martial on the wing), he was a liability. So we could be selling Walker because we think Trippier is the answer, i do not see it that way, although he could be an option against lesser teams who plan to defend against us, against the big boys you still want Walker out there.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

You're ranked #20 in the world - might even make pot 2, not sure where you got your facts from

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2017/5/22/15673538/tottenham-hotspur-news-looking-at-champions-league-pots

We are 2nd in the 3rd pot at the moment, to move into the 2nd it possible if the following happens:

• Roma to hold on to second place in Serie A.
  • One of Sevilla and Napoli have to lose in the UCL qualification come August.

<p>

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2017/5/22/15673538/tottenham-hotspur-news-looking-at-champions-league-pots

We are 2nd in the 3rd pot at the moment, to move into the 2nd it possible if the following happens:

Oh sorry I thought you were saying you might make pot 3 as in you're currently in pot 4 and you might make pot 3

I bet 500k that Utd don't beat them in 90min.

i wait for my 500k.nice to see Ajax brought down a peg or two.All that smug attitude of Ajax that we play the dutch way has brought them nothing in the end.i was great to see lack of any innovation from hopeless. Ajax players in final third.hahaha

Dont see Napoli losing in CL qualification.They are very strong.

Sevilla are inconsistent in their league.their manager is going to be new manager of Argentina.

I am Hoping to see Napoli vs Liverpool in CL qualification.

i wait for my 500k.nice to see Ajax brought down a peg or two.All that smug attitude of Ajax that we play the dutch way has brought them nothing in the end.i was great to see lack of any innovation from hopeless. Ajax players in final third.hahaha

You never agreed before the match started, I didn't know if our bet was on or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost 3 weeks later and Spurs have still not signed anyone, our own players are trying to justify this as being good news, but how can it be good news? We clearly lacked depth last year and you cannot solely rely on your academy players to compete against CL level competition. We also offloaded Walker which was voted 2 years in a row as the best RB in the country, so we are actually weaker than last year at the moment.

Almost 3 weeks later and Spurs have still not signed anyone, our own players are trying to justify this as being good news, but how can it be good news? We clearly lacked depth last year and you cannot solely rely on your academy players to compete against CL level competition. We also offloaded Walker which was voted 2 years in a row as the best RB in the country, so we are actually weaker than last year at the moment.

Who do you want to see come in? Problem with Spurs is that they ALMOST have it right, too much tinkering could mess the whole thing up. Last season was phenomenal for them, highest scorers, lowest conceded and lost the least amount of games, not much needs changed. It could just be one or two guys in but it obviously needs to be the right one or two and it needs to be players who are willing to accept that they won't walk straight into the team and keep their place every game.

We need someone to compete with Lemela/Son. Last year Lamela was suppose to be our main player in the AMR role but he got injured, Son stepped up and did a good job in that role, however that means even less depth in those positions. Ideally this needs to be an AM who can switch sides, has high IQ and technique, it would help if we could find someone with a bit of pace in that role because our current crew lack that. We have been linked to our old player Sigurdson, he is 28y old and lacks pace, but he should fit our system perfectly, it depends how much they want. We could simply give Nkoudou a second chance to see how he does, so i guess we can get by if he is ready to step up.

We need competition for Jansen in the FC role, we basically lost the league due to this last year when Kane was out most of October/November and Jansen had to fill in for him. He got better towards the end of the year, but we still need competition for him. Ideally it should be someone which is more of a pacey attacker. We have been linked to Kelechi Iheanacho, i think he is the type of player that fits the mold, still very young and should be reasonably priced, i heard City want a sell back clause though and that could be a problem, a striker should be a key priority.

We need a DR since Walker has left. Trippier did very well when called upon last year, but you still need competition for him. We have an academy product who played for England in the U-21s this year, good young player, but not sure you can rely on him playing 20+ games per year. 22y old Jeremy Toljan from Germany has been linked, he is similar in style to Walker, but lacks the strength and experience, personally he is a downgrade, at least short term, but someone like this could make sense to compete with our own academy member.

We need someone in the DC role, Wimmer did well for us 2 years ago, but he is not very fast, his technique is not great and in the 3-4-2-1 system we was playing last year, he does not fit at all. We have been rumored to be interested in 20y old Juan Foyth, a young Argentine who is a bit like Vertongen, just much smaller. I think he will fit in the system well and he has the Argentine connection with Pouche, however he lacks experience and i doubt he can be an impact player for this year. If we keep Wimmer, then maybe it makes sense to have this guy as well or keep Wimmer until at least the winter window to see how Juan does.

I think we need at least 3 players in the positions i mentioned, we could get more if we manage to offload Sissoko, but personally i think Winks and Onomah can cover for him, even if he leaves. Either way, those 3 positions are 100% a necessity i think.

• 3 weeks later...