Sparring

• 2 weeks later...

To touch on this.... does the number of sparring fighters in a session hurt/help the gains? For instance I have a fighter that I'm trying to increase his boxing skill so I have him sparring with 2 other fighters who are 4 and 5 stars in boxing...would it be better to have it 1 on 1 sparring with the younger fighter or does it not matter that the 3 are there or should I have a 4th to even it out?

To touch on this.... does the number of sparring fighters in a session hurt/help the gains? For instance I have a fighter that I'm trying to increase his boxing skill so I have him sparring with 2 other fighters who are 4 and 5 stars in boxing...would it be better to have it 1 on 1 sparring with the younger fighter or does it not matter that the 3 are there or should I have a 4th to even it out?

I thought I was always told that ideally you want to have at least 5 guys sparring at the same time (in the same discipline), any less than that and it was more or less useless? But no more than 9 or they got broken up into two groups?

• Upvote 2

I thought I was always told that ideally you want to have at least 5 guys sparring at the same time (in the same discipline), any less than that and it was more or less useless? But no more than 9 or they got broken up into two groups?

This is the way I understand it, the more the better, maxing out at 9, because once you get to 10, they split so you lose that advantage.

• Upvote 1

1on1 is 12% worse than 1on5 (wiki). If there is single one bad fighter at 5on5 sparring, it is worse than 1on1 with good partner.

Depends.. you need the group's avg sparring worth to be only 20% higher than your fighter's primary to get max results. Too bad there is no way to calculate the sparring worth except for looking at the stars - if there are 5 stars for a 150 skill/sparring worth, then one star should be about 30 pts. So you should compare your trainee's primary skill to the average star rating of the group.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Depends.. you need the group's avg sparring worth to be only 20% higher than your fighter's primary to get max results. Too bad there is no way to calculate the sparring worth except for looking at the stars - if there are 5 stars for a 150 skill/sparring worth, then one star should be about 30 pts. So you should compare your trainee's primary skill to the average star rating of the group.

I`m sorry for the stupid question but where do I see how strong my sparring partners are?

Does it make a difference if I have my one star guy sparring with a three and a half star guy or a five star guy he's so low that the benefit would be the same either way correct??

I assume your 5 star is not really going to get anything but the other 2 will, especially the 1 star. I try and spar my 4 and 5 stars together to slowly improve them once their secondaries are high but now have couple of 4.5/5's solely as sparring partners for my lower level fighters to spar with to try and get bigger and quicker gains on primaries. If your 1 star is 18/19 years old though (which I am guessing he is) I think you should be training up secondaries not sparring, or sparring very rarely if he is not fighting

I assume your 5 star is not really going to get anything but the other 2 will, especially the 1 star. I try and spar my 4 and 5 stars together to slowly improve them once their secondaries are high but now have couple of 4.5/5's solely as sparring partners for my lower level fighters to spar with to try and get bigger and quicker gains on primaries. If your 1 star is 18/19 years old though (which I am guessing he is) I think you should be training up secondaries not sparring, or sparring very rarely if he is not fighting

Thank you. does it matter if you have more than one person in yoga sessions it doesn't matter right?

• 1 month later...