Polish Food

Timmy

Hi,

I recently had sauerkraut for the first time, and ever since I've been eating about 2 kilograms a week with everything. Today I went to the Polish grocers and I bought some kielbasa (which I plan to cook with kraut and onions) and I bought some Vegeta to flavour it. I think I could become a fan of Polish food.

What should I try next? I like things that are cheap and versatile. I like fish and there are hundreds of tinned fish things, but I don't know what they are - Anything I should try?

Thanks!

NP. I don't care where somrthing is supposd to be from. But I don't have a "general eastern european" grocer, just a Polish one. So, maybe I am discovering general eastern european food, but I'll stick with Polish because I'm looking for things that my local Polish grocer might stock that I should try.

The only Polish (or general eastern european) meal I know is one with cabbage parcels containing meat and rice. I've made that for years (but only saw on a website yesterday that it is a popular Polish dish. I thought it was Greek or Turkish tbh).

Also, I tasted the vegeta and it is rather nice but it must be like 90% salt? it calls itself a spice, but I think it's more of a salt substitute. Or rather. a tastier, saltier kind of salt. Dam that stuff is sallty!

I've never had sauerkraut in the US that is anything like the heaven they make in Germany. I've eaten at tons of good German places all over the US west coast.

The German sauerkraut was just so much better. I might eat it twice a day just because when I'm visiting there.

Damn. Now I want sauerkraut and all I've got is the super tangy US version. Blehh.

• 1 month later...

The only Polish (or general eastern european) meal I know is one with cabbage parcels containing meat and rice. I've made that for years (but only saw on a website yesterday that it is a popular Polish dish. I thought it was Greek or Turkish tbh).

Being Greek, I can confirm this is a Greek dish

• 1 year later...

get some motherfuckin pierogies, preferably filled with potato and cheese. pan fried with garlic and onions, and it's sooooo good. they're also good deep fried, so they get nice and flaky/crispy on the outside.

http://www.jennycancook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/PierogiBrownedFull_600.jpg

/thread.