Is 29 to old????

All my life I have been into fitness from my military career being a PTI. The last few years I have gone of the boil with it gaining 3 stone.

Im 29 now and have been inspired by Skull's journey to try fighting. I have only boxing experience but have watched MMA for many years.

I have a top quality MMA gym around the corner from me like 3 mins away drive 10 mins running.

I have signed up and they have classes which I will partake in when my cardio has increased.

My question is am I to old to start fighting at this age with very little experience?

I have a genuine drive for this now and once I set my mind to something I normally get it done but I also have a family and if I was to get seriously hurt it would affect them deeply.

• Upvote 3

Dale you are never to old to try something. Once you start training you will get a feeling for it off how you are doing in the gym. If you get your ass kicked in the gym all the time and dont improve then better not fight a real fight. But go for it and try. Life is to short to not do the things you want to do.

Mike Thomas and I had a good fried die Monday, he was 42 and just died in the doctor office. Not sure yet, probably a heart attack or stroke, but either way it was to young. I bet if he were here with a second chance he would have a list of stuff he wanted a second chance at.

• Upvote 2

Dale you are never to old to try something. Once you start training you will get a feeling for it off how you are doing in the gym. If you get your ass kicked in the gym all the time and dont improve then better not fight a real fight. But go for it and try. Life is to short to not do the things you want to do.

Mike Thomas and I had a good fried die Monday, he was 42 and just died in the doctor office. Not sure yet, probably a heart attack or stroke, but either way it was to young. I bet if he were here with a second chance he would have a list of stuff he wanted a second chance at.

Thanks joe great advice. Sorry for your loss

All my life I have been into fitness from my military career being a PTI. The last few years I have gone of the boil with it gaining 3 stone.

Im 29 now and have been inspired by Skull's journey to try fighting. I have only boxing experience but have watched MMA for many years.

I have a top quality MMA gym around the corner from me like 3 mins away drive 10 mins running.

I have signed up and they have classes which I will partake in when my cardio has increased.

My question is am I to old to start fighting at this age with very little experience?

I have a genuine drive for this now and once I set my mind to something I normally get it done but I also have a family and if I was to get seriously hurt it would affect them deeply.

Definitely not .U can definitely have a few amateur fights fights with about a year training under your belt

Dont let it stop you. 10 years down the road you will still have the itch and think "I should have done it when I was 29." Go for it!

This.

Dabble in it. Train. Take a few amateur fights if you feel like you're ready or wanna have fun with it. I wouldn't cut much weight, if at all though. 10 lbs maximum imo and do it over a period of time. I walk around 155ish and can get down to 145 comfortably, but most people with MMA experience will talk to you like you should cut 20-30 lbs. Look forward to seeing how they feel at 40 years old compared to how I feel at 40, just to see if I was right or not.

I will say this... if you only have boxing experience, and you're 29 and haven't been training frequently or fighting frequently, it's very unlikely that you will be a UFC champion. However improbable it may be though, like lottery numbers, it's still possible lol. But I suggest setting short term goals.

1. Go to gym
  2. Full week of training
  3. Full month of training
  4. Diet properly
  5. Grappling Competition
  6. Amateur fight
  7. Another Amateur fight
  8. Professional fight
  9. Sign contract
  10. UFC champion

you could knock all that out (1-8 lol..) within a year or two if that's the kind of route you wanted to pursue.

You are never too old for MMA.

Well, to a certain extent ofcourse, but if you have enough heart will and work ethic you can even start at 40 and do very well at amateur levels.

The only thing you lost with being 29yo is testosterone, compared to a 20 year old, which is very very useful when your body and mind have to face a fight, but 29 is the peak i believe, there should be a testosterone graphic somewhere in the internet, from 30-35 onward is all downhill.

Testosterone is vey useful for example when you get rocked and you go in berserk mode, without feeling pain and without getting tired for a certain period, the more your capacity to pump it in your blood the better, there are some people the more they get hit the more they get furious because of this, that mean theyr body is able to produce a high amount of testosterone as more they receive damage,a real life example is Diego Sanchez, if only he could control his fists accuracy tho, another example is Antonio Silva getting his face smashed by Mark Hunt, but after the fight it was revealed that he used testosterone substance to enhance his capacity to absorb Mark Hunt punches.

So yeah, 29 you are at your peak bro, you will be a bit behind with fundamentals tho, in my opinion if you are a guy blessed with testosterone levels, you can even start at 50 and be like Archie Moore.

You're younger than Punk and probably in better shape than he is.

• Downvote 1

I would do it, it is not as if you are trying to become UFC champ or anything. At this point in time you are probably trying to improve your skills / self defense and be involved in a new sphere you are clearly interested in. Also, i think that 29y you can probably still have enough time to get a few wins under your belt and have something to talk about when you are 45 :-)

Thank you to everyone for there imput and encouragment. Im signed up now and have my first wrestling class next week.

I have written a basic Cardio plan up to get me from casual gym go'er to train everyday. I dont think i will have problems with this as im pretty healthy as it is but i know classes and sparring fitness is a diffrent ball game to running fitness.

Thank you all

Thank you to everyone for there imput and encouragment. Im signed up now and have my first wrestling class next week.

I have written a basic Cardio plan up to get me from casual gym go'er to train everyday. I dont think i will have problems with this as im pretty healthy as it is but i know classes and sparring fitness is a diffrent ball game to running fitness.

Thank you all

honestly you probably don't need much of a 'cardio plan'. There isn't much of anything that is gonna match the intensity of sparring and training. Within a month or so you'll notice a massive cardio difference. Running helps a little, but is tough on the joints, I prefer an elliptical over a treadmill. A good diet is gonna help a lot too. Stay away from fried foods and soda,they're the devil lol

honestly you probably don't need much of a 'cardio plan'. There isn't much of anything that is gonna match the intensity of sparring and training. Within a month or so you'll notice a massive cardio difference. Running helps a little, but is tough on the joints, I prefer an elliptical over a treadmill. A good diet is gonna help a lot too. Stay away from fried foods and soda,they're the devil lol

I am also a firm believer of not doing specific cardio training due to the damage done to the joints. I know a lot of people who did intensive running and ended up with knee issues by the time they hit 40. Obviously i am talking from an amateur stand point, i am sure if you go pro you could be forced to do that.

Coca Cola is my weakness haha

• 1 month later...