ICON Interviews: FIRST EVER EDITION!

Slice

Hey guys, first off I would like to welcome you to our first ever edition of ICON Interviews. On each edition we will be presenting a member of the ICON Alliance, either a fighter or a manager and we will talk to them about their goals, ambitions, and all things Tycoon MMA.

I am your host Chael Mir; and I will be your host for the majority of these interviews. For our first ever edition of ICON Interviews, we have a fighter managed by Tony Serritella of the ICON Alliance, who comes from a family of fighters all managed by the same guy (convenient). He is the former Middleweight Champion of former organisation Mord Haus, and he has a fight coming up in on 17th February in the Semi Finals of Infinity's Middleweight Title Tournament, he is “Showtime” Michael Carter Williams.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14296376481544.jpeg

CM: Michael, it’s a pleasure to have you here on ICON interviews, you are our first ever guest; so I’m gonna start close to home, talk to me about your family. Your father was a boxing champion as an amateur, you have followed in his footsteps and also become an amateur boxing champion, what was it that got you guys into MMA?

MCW: Well I was introduced to my MMA through my father, watching him at the gym and throughout his training camps at the time he left boxing to pursue MMA , which is when I started to pursue boxing. What got him into MMA was just another journey in his life as he did everything he could do in boxing, my father is a fighter and will always be one so I wouldn’t be surprised if he started kickboxing when he was done with MMA.
As for myself; after a successful run in boxing I shifted focus over to MMA because I love the idea of smaller gloves and the access to more artillery, Kicks, Elbows, chokes. So many more weapons to hurt people with.

CM
:
Very good and talking of your old man he's doing pretty well these days. He's 36 years old, he's the Destiny FC middleweight champion and he's on an 8 fight win streak, with 7 of those coming by knockout. The fact that he's doing so well at this age, does it make you proud of him as his son? And does it add any more pressure on you to succeed in your career?

MCW: Yeah I’m very proud of him and very happy for him. Seeing my father succeed like this only gives me confidence in everything inside and outside the cage. He taught me everything I know about boxing and footwork how to counter a punch. It’s at a point where how well he’s doing really makes me even more proud because I know as a fighter I will do well with that kind of knowledge.

In response to the second part of your question; it does and it doesn’t add pressure to my fights. It’s one of those things you know that if you win your father will be proud but at the same time you don’t want to lose just because you think it will upset him and let him down. But my father assures me that it doesn’t matter that and that I should just go out there and have fun but of course he tells me win or die trying. As long as he knows I gave it my all, he knows I followed the code that is in our DNA.

CM: He sounds like a great father as well and as fighter, what an awesome guy, must be that manager you guys all share. So you are a former 2 time Mord Haus Middleweight Champion, and in fact the last middleweight champion they ever had there. Does it annoy you that they shut down as you had a title taken away that you never really lost, or does it make you happy that you were the last guy to ever hold the belt?

MCW: To be honest I wasn't too thrilled about the org shutting down because I was looking to get some more title defences on my record and cash some more checks, but you know it worked out for me in the end because I had many orgs scouting me to sign with them and I ended up right where I want to be; in a top org and placed in a tournament. But knowing I was the last champion is a major achievement and I'm glad that was me who had the belt when they shut down and nobody else.

CM: So that belt you had; you both won that belt and lost it against Nathan Cortez in your time with the organisation. What are your thoughts on Nathan as a fighter? What did you do differently after losing the first fight? (Which you were dominating up until the finish). And which fight out of the three fights you have now had with him, do you feel is most representative of both of your abilities as fighters?

MCW: My thoughts on Nathan Cortez are not pleasant I’ll tell you that much. I don’t hate the guy but I don’t respect him as a fighter and never will. It was a fluke that be beat me and he knows it and I made sure he knew it to. The guy is a cocky prick and I’m glad I was the one who put him in check. He was talking a lot of smack after he beat me and that just made more and more motivated to hurt the guy which I did.

The first fight was a fluke and I was whooping his ass the whole fight until he caught me off guard. To be honest my I forgot to run a game plan with my manager for that fight and just kinda went in their without one and still kicked his ass. After he won he then refused to give me a title shot which I thought was complete bullshit on his part considering he got lucky with his win against me.

After I lost I made sure that I would come back stronger and with a game plan set specifically designed for his style and it worked out not once but twice both finishes. Another reason I dislike the guy is because he stalked me and followed me to Infinity just to get KO'd. I honestly believe out of the 3 fights I was the better fighter in all three fights, but if I had to pick one it would be the second fight because I humiliated him very badly and shut his entire skill set down and got the TKO victory. The 3rd fight where I got the big KO is something I shrug off because I went in there knowing I was going to kill him.

CM: In your new organisation Infinity, you won your debut with a very exciting finish over Nathan Cortez, so congratulations for that; it was a very emphatic victory, however, this was part of a bigger picture as they are putting together a middleweight tournament with the winner becoming the new champion. What are your thoughts on this setup? And how do you foresee yourself stacking up in this tournament?

MCW: Yeah man I love what Butch Harris is doing with Infinity. The organisation is going places and I’m proud to fight here and plan on staying here for a long time win or lose this is home for now. The setup thought couldn’t get any better. I always dreamed to be in a tournament format fight and cleaning house en-route to a title belt added to my collection. I see myself winning the whole thing and taking that gold home and hanging on my wall or gym. But hey man I’m not a cocky fighter, I’m very realistic, so I accept the fact that anything could happen come fight night. However I am confident in my skill set and winning this tournament is priority number 1 for me.

CM: Just to wrap this up then; in your next fight you go up against another dangerous guy in the Brooklyn Brawler, Jordan Belfort. He’s on a 3 fight win streak, all finishes, how is training going for this fight? How do you think his skill set compares to yours and how do you see yourself winning this fight?

MCW: Yeah by far Jordan Belfort will be one of my tougher fights to date but I feel me and him stack up against each other very well in terms of skills and style. I’ve seen some of his fights and I like what he brings to the table and under his new manager he seems to be a killer like myself and I take pride in taking out killers in the cage. I’ve trained specifically for him the past 4 weeks and surrounded myself with elite training partners in Muay Thai to get ready for his type of fighting and I promise win or lose you do not want to miss this fight. Somebody is getting hurt and getting hurt badly. We are both elite strikers in our respective disciplines but I know my hands are better and I’m going to throw them with bad intentions and try to take his head off. I see myself winning the fight, but not taking away anything from Jordan he’s a killer and I have to respect that. But I predict a 2nd round TKO or KO.

CM: Excellent! And everyone will sure as hell be tuning in for that one, don't blink! Michael it's been absolutely fantastic to have you here, we're gonna let you go now as you have a very important fight to train for. Here at ICON Interviews we wish you the best of luck in your fight and go get that belt.

Thank you guys for checking out the first ever edition of ICON Interviews, we will have many more interviews like this very very soon so make sure to follow and subscribe to the updates. Tune into Infinity: MW Title Tourny Rd 2 at 6pm on 17th February 2016 to see our guest Michael Carter Williams meet "The Brooklyn Brawler" Jordan Belfort in a fight that promises fireworks. I've been Chael Mir and I will see you on the next edition of ICON INTERVIEWS!

• Upvote 5

Great work. We are lucky to have you working with us.

• Upvote 1