Arsenal

Columbo

I was watching soccer with my buddy and he said that the English club called Arsenal used to be a big deal. I've watched them at at least a dozen times and they look pretty lame. Is it true that they used to be a big club and once won EPL superbowls?

• Downvote 1

Still considered a big club, just haven't won much lately. A lot believe a change in management will help them rebuilds. They hold PL record for most unbeaten which was 49 games.

I was watching soccer with my buddy and he said that the English club called Arsenal used to be a big deal. I've watched them at at least a dozen times and they look pretty lame. Is it true that they used to be a big club and once won EPL superbowls?

Football. Top team, won the league twice (ages ago). Used to be better.

Also, anyone north of the Thames can fook off

Ok, I see. I looked them up on YouTube and saw they had a good player called Sanchez who looked good, but then learned he moved away. If Arsenal used to be a big club, it must be hard on their fans to see them losing all their good players to big clubs and failing to win anything :(

I need to choose an EPL team to follow and I like the teams that play beautiful soccer so I'm thinking of Liverpool, Manchester or Tottenham, but I can't decide. Although I think probably Tottenham because I don't know anything about Liverpool or Manchester (or Highberry) but I like London, and I heard Tottenham are the only team in London.

• Upvote 1

Lol, there are so many London teams - Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Fulham, QPR.

Arsenal were great club 15 years ago, but when the big money came into soccer, Wenger's policy of buying cheap and selling expensive failed, because nowadays with all the information available, you cant buy a huge talent for peanuts. I was following the club from like 95 or 96, but stopped watching football few years ago, probably because the team was pretty disappointing.

Arsenal were great club 15 years ago, but when the big money came into soccer, Wenger's policy of buying cheap and selling expensive failed, because nowadays with all the information available, you cant buy a huge talent for peanuts.

For the most part that is true, but i just had a look, Spurs have a net profit of 3m EU in the past 7 years (474m spent, 477m earned):

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/alletransfers/verein/148

We made it to top 4 in 4 of the 7 years, obviously spending big always helps.

I'm still confused. Arsenal Wenger is obviously a terrible coach (I read Arsenal fans saying that), the worst in EPL apparently, so why did they name the team after him? Does he own the franchise?

Not sure if trolling, but the club has changed its name to Arsenal in 1914, while Arsene Wenger was born in 1949.

Also not sure on trolling, lol. Our team atm is weak defensively (been a problem for years). Wenger is a brilliant coach but his time has come and gone.

Picking a team you like is totally down to you. You can stream games, watch a bunch and see who you like.

I personally support Arsenal because it was the first game I went to when I was 4. (Uncle and Gpops also support) So it stuck and 20+ years later here we are.

Likely we will also be forced to buy some hefty replacements too for age of some players coming up. So I expect Wenger to leave soonish and someone will bring in some more players and change the style of us.

Lol, there are so many London teams - Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Fulham, QPR.

Arsenal were great club 15 years ago, but when the big money came into soccer, Wenger's policy of buying cheap and selling expensive failed, because nowadays with all the information available, you cant buy a huge talent for peanuts. I was following the club from like 95 or 96, but stopped watching football few years ago, probably because the team was pretty disappointing.

You forgot the two best London teams - Charlton & Millwall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

arsenal are bunch of wankers who have no ambition.They are big club but frankly no body gives a fuck about them coz they are not a team that are a threat to the top dogs in england let alone europe.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...