28 replies to this topic

#21 juicemalone

juicemalone

Purple Belt

• Manager
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Not true...

Escapes are for getting to your feet from both top and bottom. Transitions help you move from one position to another, and can help keep your opponent from doing the same.

Try it sometime with a guy that has high transitions and useless escapes. You don't need escapes to stand up from inside someone's guard if you have great transitions. It is seen the same way as any other transition by the system.

#22 DeadDisney

DeadDisney

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:59 AM

Transitions help a guy get up when he is on top position not escapes. Escapes are only for getting up from bottom position.

See how this differs from this:

Try it sometime with a guy that has high transitions and useless escapes. You don't need escapes to stand up from inside someone's guard if you have great transitions. It is seen the same way as any other transition by the system.

You still haven't addressed the error you made in the first quote. Escapes are for BOTH getting up from top and bottom positions. You don't need any punches to throw a punch and have it connect, you don't need to have subs and be able to pull one off. The argument that I'm making is not whether or not escapes are broken (they probably aren't at least not completely) but whether or not you telling new players  info based on your interpretation of the game engine is the best way to dole out advice in the noob section.

We have to keep it simple in the noob section.

#23 juicemalone

juicemalone

Purple Belt

• Manager
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

See how this differs from this:

You still haven't addressed the error you made in the first quote. Escapes are for BOTH getting up from top and bottom positions. You don't need any punches to throw a punch and have it connect, you don't need to have subs and be able to pull one off. The argument that I'm making is not whether or not escapes are broken (they probably aren't at least not completely) but whether or not you telling new players  info based on your interpretation of the game engine is the best way to dole out advice in the noob section.

We have to keep it simple in the noob section.

I'll spell it out clearer. Transitions are the primary skill that dictates whether a fighter can successfully stand up from a position where they are on top. NOT Escapes.

Mike has confirmed this too it is in the forum somewhere.

Think logically also. Why would you need escapes to stand up from a dominant position? Not exactly a difficult task. I'm not sure if you have ever trained or competed, but even a position like half guard is not particulary difficult to stand from. Closed guard is only position you would need to "escape" from.

#24 DeadDisney

DeadDisney

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

That's the thing I like about you, juice: you're always right.

I'm going off what Mike Tycoon has been on record as saying regarding escapes. You keep on comparing this game to real life if you must.

#25 juicemalone

juicemalone

Purple Belt

• Manager
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

That's the thing I like about you, juice: you're always right.

I'm going off what Mike Tycoon has been on record as saying regarding escapes. You keep on comparing this game to real life if you must.

Lol Mike has said exactly what I am saying about transitions. If you feel better convincing yourself that I'm treating this game like real life or whatever then that's fine, but I'm sticking to what I've said. Transitions dictate the chance of a fighter successfully standing up from top position NOT Escapes.

It is one of the most misunderstood aspects of the game engine because most ppl don't do it and assume it's all escapes. Most managers would just stall from the top to get a ref standup if they were at a disadvantage and the remaining want to be there cause they have the ability to win from the top with that fighter. Also have to take into consideration that if guy on bottom has high d grappling and transitions it makes it even more difficult and if bottom guy is intelligent the fighter trying to stand up can be countered and swept.

#26 DeadDisney

DeadDisney

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

Perhaps you're trolling, idk. If you weren't making unfounded claims in the noob section, I would have just let it go. Tell you what - go ahead and find a forum quote from Mike Tycoon stating what you said previously:

Escapes are only for getting up from bottom position.

Here's what I can prove:

• Transitions: You need transitions to move from one position to another on the ground. The value is also used when calculating whether your opponent is successful in advancing position, or whether you can stop him. Grapplers will need this skill. Strikers will also need it, if they want to get out of bad positions on the ground. You may be able to use a "stall" tactic by controlling and get a standup but this is extremely risky. Note, if you don't have transitions then a good grappler will be able to advance position more easily and get to a position where they may finish you.
  • Escapes: Anyone who wants to stand up from the ground will need this, unless they're going for a referee stand up

And here's where you can find that info in the Tycoon User Guidehttp://www.mmatycoon...nges_March_2013

#27 UniConor

UniConor

Red Belt

• Members
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:23 PM

I have seen Mike Tycoon say transitions affect standing up from top. I will try to find the post now.

Well I'll be fucked, I can't find it. Sifted through two whole threads on the improvements to ref stand ups and such and can't find the comment Mike made on it. But I do know he said it. I just can't prove it yet 

Edited by UniConor, 01 January 2016 - 11:44 PM.

giphy.gif

#28 DeadDisney

DeadDisney

Brown Belt

• Manager
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

I have seen Mike Tycoon say transitions affect standing up from top. I will try to find the post now.

Well I'll be fucked, I can't find it. Sifted through two whole threads on the improvements to ref stand ups and such and can't find the comment Mike made on it. But I do know he said it. I just can't prove it yet 

You sound like that other guy  :yawn:

Just kidding. 

#29 Marky

Marky

Brown Belt

• Developer
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

This is a bit confusing since one would naturally expect escapes to work from the top too but I think Juice is right.

I don't really want to get up from the ground so haven't done much testing for it to say for certain but Mike did say transitions was the skill to get up from the top position.

Here's the post: http://www.mmatycoon...=50571&p=689724

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users