I love Overeem, as mentioned (and ignored by Rainbow) earlier. I love kickboxing, Overeem and Hari are my two favourite dudes in the world to watch kick heads now that Mirko and Bas are retired.

BUT, Overeem, despite being a K-1 champ and a very good MMA fighter, isn't the best MMA fighter in the world. Perhaps with more strike defense based around the MMA style, perhaps with better conditioning and increased agility at a slightly lower weight, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. But as it stands, for the last years he has been in MMA, he is not #1 despite looking close to it at times.

Overeem is skilled as fuck, his main issue is like always the lack of cardio and chin.

This. Overeem is a great striker, lethal in the clinch, and a very underated grappler but no matter how much you want to defend him and say its the smaller gloves he just doesnt have a good chin . Arlovski is the same way, boatloads of skill and potential but when you cant take a punch you will always run that risk in every fight. If we are talking pure skill Overeem is likely better than Bigfoot and Browne( Browne may be better Ill be interested to see how he handles Werdum) but if you have a shaky chin and you are fighting at HW, good luck.

That was a beautiful shot through the guard!

Shot through the guard

And you're to blame

Ally, you give K1

a bad name

Don't forget that Overeem dominated whole fight and got hit with lucky punch.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/wonkalumpsMMA/Shogun-Overeem.gif

So every Overeem fight then? Remember when he outstruck Chuck for like 3 minutes before he gassed horribly and Chuck turned him into soup?

To all the people attributing Overeem's losses to "lucky" punches, it's pretty obvious that Overeem doesn't defend strikes well with the smaller gloves; in K-1 his defence was entirely around that double forearm guard, which doesn't work anywhere near as well with the little gloves. Sergei Kharitonov hit him with tons of strikes around the double forearm guard and if you think that was luck that's because you were used as the family basketball as a baby.

^

That and he's seemingly oblivious to his own mortality which leads to him acting like a gigantic, slow and shitty RJJ vs guys like Bigfoot.

Overeem was once thought to be the next great UFC champ until the SIlva and Browne Ko's, JDS is a much better striker then silva and browne i think so JDs by KO after a the reem wears down a bit.

UFC hype. Total joke. Whoever actually thought Overoid was going to be the man in the UFC, I don't know, neurological disorder or something, or didn't watch enough film on him. Talking bout a guy who got KTFO by LHW's.

JDS 1st round KO.

Whoever thought Overoid was the real deal in the UFC, prolly thought Brock Lesnar was going to be the real deal in the UFC too lol.

Lesnar finished Mir and held the strap, please don't be silly.

That and he's seemingly oblivious to his own mortality which leads to him acting like a gigantic, slow and shitty RJJ vs guys like Bigfoot.

Well I think that's largely because in K-1 the double forearm guard works so well for him, he was deflecting combo after combo from Spong in their fight but with the small gloves shots get through which you could see in the Bigfoot fight.

Lesnar was/would have been a beast if not for the diverticulitis sucking the life out of him. He finished Mir, manhandled Herring, and was improving techniques by leaps and bounds each fight. Unfortunately, none of that matters when you have a couple feet of intestines that nearly rot inside you and suck the strength and conditioning out of you. Anyone that saw all his fights could tell something was very different in the last few versus the first few. In the Herring fight, he came out very aggressive, and he dominated a fairly well respected heavyweight. He clearly wasn't the same guy when he fought Carwin, Cain, and Overeem. I give Brock a ton of credit for showing heart beyond the capabilities left in his body in the Carwin fight, but he lost too much muscle mass in the battle and recovery from his disease to be considered the same fighter. I don't take away from what Cain did, but I would love to see a full strength (pre-diverticulitis) Lesnar against Velasquez. That would be a heavyweight fight worth getting excited about.

Lesnar was/would have been a beast if not for being a fucking pussy when it came to being struck.

Or how I was/would have been a Winter Olympian if it weren't for never having tried a Winter sport before.

• Upvote 1

Lesnar was/would have been a beast if not for the diverticulitis sucking the life out of him. He finished Mir, manhandled Herring, and was improving techniques by leaps and bounds each fight. Unfortunately, none of that matters when you have a couple feet of intestines that nearly rot inside you and suck the strength and conditioning out of you. Anyone that saw all his fights could tell something was very different in the last few versus the first few. In the Herring fight, he came out very aggressive, and he dominated a fairly well respected heavyweight. He clearly wasn't the same guy when he fought Carwin, Cain, and Overeem. I give Brock a ton of credit for showing heart beyond the capabilities left in his body in the Carwin fight, but he lost too much muscle mass in the battle and recovery from his disease to be considered the same fighter. I don't take away from what Cain did, but I would love to see a full strength (pre-diverticulitis) Lesnar against Velasquez. That would be a heavyweight fight worth getting excited about.

Brocks techniques were/are nowhere near the level of Cain. he was a physical beast with some wrestling and made the most of his abilities by becoming champ in a division with few great fighters at the time. i still have tons of respect for him though as doing the WWF thing was easy money and he chose to come test himself in the UFC..

KRad: Lesnar a wuss? I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree there. Cute analogy though.

Ramirez: Some wrestling is just a complete understatement. Brock was a physical freak of nature, but he was also a very skilled wrestler. He won both a JUCO and NCAA Div I national championship and came in 2nd in his other Div I national championships. You don't win at that level just off being big, and that resume will challenge even the best in the business in their collegiate days. In fact, pair that next to Cain himself and Brock compares very favorably (Cain was JUCO national champ before wrestling 3 years in Div I with a highest finish of 4th, though he was a 2 time AA and won a PAC10 championship). Better yet, let this one sentence from Wikipedia sink in: "Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college." Sure, Brock could be a grade A butthole, but that doesn't take away from the skill that he had.

Overated Overoid received too much hype. Surprised so many people bought into it.

I'd say it evened out about right actually -- he had a lot of supporters hyping him to the moon sure but also a lot of people who thought he couldn't beat Lesnar, realistically there are 3 guys at HW who are above Overeem by any clear margin (Velasquez, Dos Santos, and Browne) -- there's not a lot of daylight between him and Barnett, Miocic, or Werdum.

We could argue about Bigfoot (and by extension Hunt) but really Overeem seemed to just piss away what should've been a win.