BJ Penn vs Franky Edger to host next TUF

SteelPenn

Anyone heard this or have more info on it?

Thoughts?

Heard it, and that it was supposed to originally be Edgar and Faber but Fiber didn't want to leave 135 and Edgar wasn't cutting to 135. To be honest, I don't even want to see BJ Penn fight anymore. He's as washed up as washed up gets.

• Upvote 1

Well I love the guy, always have. I'm hoping he makes a come back and trains correctly. He is still young and could make a good run in the lightweight division

Bj Penn should not fight no more, chuck liddel made the decision once he started taking a beating, Penn just hasnt got the memo. Frankie Edgar will seriously mess him up, like jayfrost said hes washed up. He would make a good coach no doubt but no way should he get in the octagon with edgar

• Upvote 1

the fight is going to be 145 lol.

No way Penn can make 145.

BJ Penn should have retired Years ago already ... He is one of the most overrated fighters of all time ...

Edgar will destroy him ...

Over rated? Other then getting beat badly by Edger he was one of the best ever in my eyes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If he beats him at 155 twice, he will destroy him at 145 if he even can make the weight cut. If he does, chances are his body will be so physically drained he wont have much to offer. I like BJ but i think this is just his last fight and he knows it. I love the idea though because he is a fantastic coach.

• Upvote 1

No way Penn can make 145.

I've always thought it would be best weight for him. I think that's the weight he competed around 145 at the mundials. I think he needs to fight there just so you know he's going to be in good shape, which with BJ at 170 is unlikely and 155 was more likely but still not a certainty. That's actually the main reason I'm interested by this announcement. I was ready for BJ to hang up the gloves after the Diaz fight, because at that point he acted like he would never drop weight, so I assumed that he would probably just keep losing to the top guys at 170, but at 145 I feel like he'll have to come in at pretty good shape.

I also realize this is one of the most cliche, overplayed narratives of BJ's career, "If only BJ gets motivated blah blah blah," but I think a third match with Edgar (I would call a rubber match, thought Penn won first) at 145 has to be the most motivated he's been in a very long time.

Still think Edgar will win, but there is a certain mystique to Penn, especially with this new angle. Not so excited about the show, but I'm intrigued by the matchup.

• Upvote 1

Wow just wow.... not long ago BJ Penn was the man and now look how people talk about him. It's sad to see really, i'm with steelpenn on this one i hope he gets into great shape and has a good go at it. I really doubt after his last few fights he will take this one lightly, i hope anyhow.

• Upvote 1

I do not see the point of this fight at 145 besides them not having anyone else to coach against Edgar and needed someone. I do not think that BJ Penn is washed up. Yes he got beat by Edgar but Edgar is on another level. Also his last beating was at Welterweight against Mcdonald and Diaz and we all know bj has never really looked that great at 170. He drew against Jon Fitch. So I think with the right diet and training he can come back and be a solid fighter at 155 where he always looked good but he will not be champ IMO. And i do think edgar will demolish him at 145.

did bj get lap-band surgery or lose a limb in a shark attack or something? cuz that's the only way he's going to make that weight.

BJ weighed in in the mid-160s fully clothed and fairly chubby for his WW fights. He could easily make 145. I mean, KAWAJIRI can make 145 and he was a gigantic LW.

BJ weighed in in the mid-160s fully clothed and fairly chubby for his WW fights. He could easily make 145. I mean, KAWAJIRI can make 145 and he was a gigantic LW.

Kawajiri was a big LW in 2004, but weight cutting seems to have got a lot more scientific since then (in MMA), realistically he isn't big next to todays LW division (he'd be middle of the road at largest, and honestly I don't think he looks all that big at FW). Keep in mind when Kawajiri is mentioned as being huge that at the time he was a major player there were quite a few guys who didn't cut weight at all to fight at 160 in PRIDE (because smaller divisions didn't exist).

Kawajiri? Shit how about Justin Wilcox? He's gotta be over 170, he's frickin huge.

point is, when is the last time he wasn't chubby?

I didn't think of him as chubby when he was like smashing up on Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez, like his last really good run at lightweight. But I can never remember him having like a 6 pack. If he dedicated himself (always everyone's favorite BJ Penn cliche) he could make 145. I obviously don't know him or train with him, but if you look at the gigantic guys making 145 now it would seem that it is completely plausible that Penn could make it. If he doesn't, I demand a clip of Gabe Ruediger harassing him in the sauna.

Kawajiri was a big LW in 2004, but weight cutting seems to have got a lot more scientific since then (in MMA), realistically he isn't big next to todays LW division (he'd be middle of the road at largest, and honestly I don't think he looks all that big at FW). Keep in mind when Kawajiri is mentioned as being huge that at the time he was a major player there were quite a few guys who didn't cut weight at all to fight at 160 in PRIDE (because smaller divisions didn't exist).

That makes sense, thanks. I almost fell out of my chair when I first heard he was dropping to 145.

point is, when is the last time he wasn't chubby?

The Diego Sanchez fight.

Whaaat, really? This makes zero sense to me. These two already fought twice and the result was the same both times. BJ Penn has retired (couple times?) already and rightfully so. On top of that Frankie (while he is an elite fighter) doesn't seem like very interesting personality to be watched on TV. Penn is cool coz he is crazy but anyway...

Wow just wow.... not long ago BJ Penn was the man and now look how people talk about him. It's sad to see really, i'm with steelpenn on this one i hope he gets into great shape and has a good go at it. I really doubt after his last few fights he will take this one lightly, i hope anyhow.

This.

I hope this is a strong comeback for BJ. Not sure he'd fight Aldo though, I heard they're friends.

This.

I hope this is a strong comeback for BJ. Not sure he'd fight Aldo though, I heard they're friends.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the Penn Edgar matchup because of the new weight angle, and in my mind it's more of a rubber match because I thought BJ won in Abu Dhabi, but I have absolutely zero desire to see him get stole on by Jose Aldo. I feel like it would look worse than the Faber beatdown, and it would make me really sad.