Picking up FA with contracts

Lefty

So I do this all the time...

Pick up a FA with the intention of using him only for sparring. Sometimes the FA has a contract with fights left with a promotion.

The problem is I do not fight with other people's creations because I do not have the time to scout out every fight they have had in the past to figure out their hiddens etc.

I usually end up asking if the org owner could kindly release the fighter from contract because I do not intend to fight with him and only wish to use him for sparring. At best I will offer to pay the contract signing bonus back to the owner (if the fighter has money in his account to cover it) or sometimes pay the partial amount in relation to how many fights are left. Most of the time the owner will release the fighter with no problems and without me paying anything.

My question is: Do you think a manager that picks up a FA still under contract has any obligation to honour this contract that he did not agree to?

IMO since you are the new manager and did not really sign that contract yourself you shouldn't really have any obligation to finish out the fights and at most by paying the contract value to the owner it should be resolved and fighter released.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a org owner I don't think your obligated to carry out the co contract. It is just very nice too which most of the people I have dealt with have done and the ones that wanted a release I had no problem with it.

My only worry is to loose a title holder at some point to FA I do feel if someone pics up a title holder that even though again there not obligated they should still finish the contract out or until the fighter drops the title.

• Upvote 1

As a org owner I don't think your obligated to carry out the co contract. It is just very nice too which most of the people I have dealt with have done and the ones that wanted a release I had no problem with it.

My only worry is to loose a title holder at some point to FA I do feel if someone pics up a title holder that even though again there not obligated they should still finish the contract out or until the fighter drops the title.

A title holder is completely different. Usually it is some low ranked no name with shit hiddens anyways and that is why I prefer not to fight with them but if it's for a title holder and it is crucial for the org that's not a problem to fight it out, especially if it's for decent money.

I'm not saying I've never fought with other peoples creations, I just prefer not to since it is normally a crap fighter that is lacking in some area in skills or hiddens.

I don't think you're obligated to honour the contract. As a former org owner it was something I dealt with a lot and as much as it sucks to lose a fighter it doesn't feel right to force them to stay.

My issue is usually that the fighter is a can or his chin has degraded/skillset is bad for MMA. This is why I make a point of only fighting with my own creations.

I agree with Adam at Aspire and i feel the same way with FA Underground fighters, also if you are offering to repay the signing bonus i dont see why any org would make life difficult.

• Upvote 1