UFC 218 Holloway vs Aldo 2 Pick'em Thread

kenlow73

984d7c0124ef0f7668ef510f66671268.png

Usually I get to see the last two fights but I didn't see any tonight. It stems from one of my Assistant Managers asking me if I wanted to stay an hour late and me remembering about the fight after I said yes.

Holloway did look great. Everytime his skills looks better than they did in his last fight. He's young with plenty of time to grow. He is already great but can't wait to see what he looks like in the next 3-5 years. Also I keep saying I know how good he is and will love to find out how good he ends up being before it's all said done, but he does have a huge chink in his armor that he can't seem to help himself from doing. One of the greatest things about Holloway is footwork and fluid movement yet he loves to and easily gets drawn to stop using his footwork and just brawl. While that might entertain most people I find it fool hardy especially with his gift of movement. We have seen in it in the past and we all know that any fighter can get caught; so that is just playing with fire. One of these days it's going to come back to bite him. When the day comes that he loses belt remember guys I'm precalling when that does happen it comes from when he is brawling.

i realized today that ive always thought of yancy medeiros as the artem to holloways conor, but yancy is actually really good.

i dont think holloway gets drawn into brawls. like today it was a calculated risk as aldo was fading and holloway was having a hard time putting any kind of volume on him (cuz aldo was on his bike most of the fight), so holloway initiated it on his premises while aldo was stuck against the fence. like even against lamas he didnt really get touched while he landed a fuckton himself. i think holloways brawling is surprisingly tactical actually.

I don`t see Stipe winning this fight. Ngannou is too strong (look how he manhandled Overeem in the clinch with his power) and too much KO power.

It would be good for the UFC to have Ngannou as champion.

Yeah, the idea that Overeem should be trying to get the fight to the ground went right out the window after that rather feeble takedown attempt and subsequent manhandling in the the clinch. Whatever gameplan overeem had went out the window then and he just stood there and waited to get knocked out.

Why would it be better for the UFC to have Nganou be champion over Stipe?

Yeah, the idea that Overeem should be trying to get the fight to the ground went right out the window after that rather feeble takedown attempt and subsequent manhandling in the the clinch. Whatever gameplan overeem had went out the window then and he just stood there and waited to get knocked out.

Why would it be better for the UFC to have Nganou be champion over Stipe?

Hell yes. Stipe is technical, Francis is just fucking brutal. And brutality is what the heavyweights need. Remember when you used to watch Mike Tyson fight and all you could think about is how badly is he going to decapitate his opponent

i realized today that ive always thought of yancy medeiros as the artem to holloways conor, but yancy is actually really good.

i dont think holloway gets drawn into brawls. like today it was a calculated risk as aldo was fading and holloway was having a hard time putting any kind of volume on him (cuz aldo was on his bike most of the fight), so holloway initiated it on his premises while aldo was stuck against the fence. like even against lamas he didnt really get touched while he landed a fuckton himself. i think holloways brawling is surprisingly tactical actually.

He gets into brawls all the time. He has even said in after the fight interviews/talking about the fight with the winner that he does it because it's what the fans want to see. That is good and all to give people what they want and to try and make sure they get their "moneys worth" but it's not good for your career nor is it like he doesn't bring the action without it. And yes I said it's not good for his career and yes he is on a big winning streak, that would have been much longer if the McGregor fight was 5 rounds instead of 3. But what I mean is that it isn't good for his career in the sense that it increases the risk of losing and injury.

In his fight with Ricardo Lamas he brawled him quite a bit, but besides that he never leaves himself open that much.

Compairing him to someone like Gaethje we can see that Holloway usually tries to get people to swing at him to tire themselves out, where Gaethje is fine taking 2 to give 1 because he just wants to knock his opponent out.

Holloway still doesn't fight as safe as a lot of fighters but he definitely doesn't just stand and brawls with them.

I don`t see Stipe winning this fight. Ngannou is too strong (look how he manhandled Overeem in the clinch with his power) and too much KO power.

It would be good for the UFC to have Ngannou as champion.

How he handled him in the clinch was scary, it looked like he was proceeding to rape a white teenager....

Hell yes. Stipe is technical, Francis is just fucking brutal. And brutality is what the heavyweights need. Remember when you used to watch Mike Tyson fight and all you could think about is how badly is he going to decapitate his opponent

I think he is technical, for MMA standards he have a good stance, man, he is getting rained by the best coaches he can have, Le Banner and the other with dreads which i dont know the name.

He simply didnt have enough time to show off because he just knock out people too fast, the other guys he fought stood longer but they were lower levels and he was also at the start of his career, man i can tell you this Ngannou not only will be the most brutal Champ of all times but he will show some technical stuff too, i think his jiu jitsu will be mediocre tho, his limbs are long and he dont have the body shape for good jiu jitsu, he can still brute force his way on the ground tho, an old Werdum on the ground can be as much experienced you want but Ngannou is one of those scary feral niggers that can unelash his inner survival mode and brute force his way everywhere in any condition.

Is it just me or do African American HW seem to have the most nut danglers. The dude has raw power no doubt but there is more to MMA then that. And Overeem off the juice is no match for Francis in power as expected. I remember the same hype from Derrick Lewis, give him Werdum and I expect the same outcome. Although I do think he deserves a title fight.

Nothing taken away from Holloway ..he was meant to be the UFC champ someday ( a real champ who defends his title/s ) ... and he did that..will continue to do that.
but nowadays Aldo isn't the Aldo in his prime

Aldo's not that past his prime, but he is definitely pretty shopworn at this point. I think Holloway came in with a great gameplan and looked phenomenal, but Aldo looks to have lost a lot of his power and his confidence over the years. It's a great win for Holloway, no doubt, but it doesn't raise his stock that much, in my opinion.