Additional "Speciality Slot"

MMATycoon

I'd like to see QFC orgs where u could create a guy with at least 70% skills. If the QFC orgs are still just 25 yr old creations I'm not sure I'd be interested because I think it takes very little slider skill at that skill level. If your fighter is a MT guy & fight some1 with no MT just throw high dmg & 100% kicks. It's very easy to exploit the lower level fighters. The Island I just never really understood. That to me is like living in the real world then choosing to live like the amish.

I had suggested turning those QFC tournaments into like a 75% skill creation, u can only fight in that format with separate hype & such just so you'd have a no injury/energy guy to fight with pretty regularly. I felt it'd give newer managers just joining a sense of competing with the 'big boys' with at least 1 fighter w/o needing access to loads of $$ or private gyms. That to me turns a lot of guys away & this would be incentive to sign in everyday. It'd also be great for returning managers who are completely rebuilding....

& trying to adapt to a new engine. a lot of returning managers grab really crappy FA's (they'd never have kept on their old roster) just to have somewhat skilled guys who can fight in better orgs so they're not just abusing newbs all the time because I know a lot of returning managers in the past who were super competitive but couldn't get very up to QFC spam or have every fight be against managers they had yrs of slider experience on. Due to how exploitable guys are with low skills there is definitely an adjustment period when you get into fights at the higher end. I think you'd satisfy the noobs & vets with that. It did great in the community vote. Like 30-5 but not sure why Mike is kinda against that move

I was only luke warm on it because it's a massive amount of work. Probably 20 or 30 pages and several automated scripts would need editing, to block these fighters from being able to integrate into the rest of the game. I can do that if it's something that a lot of people will use but by contrast, allowing 30 year old fighter creations for use in a similar concept would take 5 minutes, as they would be fine for people to use in the rest of the game too.

I was only luke warm on it because it's a massive amount of work. Probably 20 or 30 pages and several automated scripts would need editing, to block these fighters from being able to integrate into the rest of the game. I can do that if it's something that a lot of people will use but by contrast, allowing 30 year old fighter creations for use in a similar concept would take 5 minutes, as they would be fine for people to use in the rest of the game too.

Well sir I am not the one who has to do the work. I just try to come up with ideas that will help keep new players interested as well as returning managers who are starting over. Running the ITFL tournament I can't tell you how many PM's I have received or had guys post in my thread that they "can't wait" until they have a fighter who is good enough to compete in my tournament. I think that is probably a feeling shared by all noobs about being excited to have fighters good enough to compete against big named fighters or big managers they see on the rankings pages.

"With the exception of the your ducking me, no your ducking me crap, I actually love stuff like this! I mean a top manager with a beast of a young buck calling out another top manager with a legend of the game! This is really great for the game and the community, I just hope that some day when my roster gets better I'll be able to get in involved in something like this."

- King Arthur from the Oath vs. Marciano thread just 2 days ago

Considering the amount of newbs we actually are able to keep though obviously that anticipation isn't enough to keep the majority of people around long enough. I just think giving them 1 'Niche' fighter who they can create with a decent skills % and do QFC tournaments against fighters of similar skill and managers like LT, or CK or any other manager you see at the top of the rankings on a consistent basis would be giving them enough of a tease to keep more guys than we do. Maybe these QFC tournament guys could then go to a 'no training' contract in QFC orgs and only be used in those two formats? Again I don't know how much work that is and I am not the man who needs to do it.

I do think this is an idea that should be seriously looked at because you would be killing two birds with one stone in a sense. How many guys like Edsfan and Shiv have tried to come back and spam QFC's with 25 yo creations just to grab some decent FA's to fight with as they try to build a new roster? Since this is frowned upon it's led to complaints, Mike having to strip guys of hype and all that. Really these guys aren't trying to be shady...they have just already competed at that highest level and the two yr grind while having no fighters they can get excited about fighting with is pretty tough to keep guys like that around and most times we don't. They come back, stay for a few months and then disappear again. Maybe 1 fighter who can compete in the previously discussed formats is enough to keep guys like that around. Maybe it's not, obviously nobody can predict that but a fighter with no energy/injury loss who can fight on a weekly basis or maybe multiple times in a week sounds like a pretty damn good reason to sign in to me.

I think this would get more interest than some of the other things. I know I would have a niche fighter to do that if it were possible just for the ability to fight and not always have to wait 2-3 weeks between. I like the KT idea too, that's something else I would probably be interested in.

The Island I just can't say I ever really understood what that was meant to be used for. Maybe I just didn't read up on it enough to understand it that well. My understanding was the reason behind this idea was all the complaints about needing access to private gyms and such and guys on the island would all be starting on the same playing field like guys did at the game's creation. Okay that part makes sense to me I guess but where I get confused is why they move back into the normal tycoon world. If the idea was an even playing field I am not sure how putting them on an island where you can't move cash to therefore will have to work before u can buy elite coaches and such and then thrusting them back into the real world seems to me like they'd be even further behind than if they just created a normal fighter and trained in a public gym. While those gyms may get filled and have higher # of guys per session...i would think the elite coaches would still be better than having to buy a couple coaches at a time for 6 months. Again maybe I just never read up on it enough because I had a full roster and knew I wouldn't be using it anyway

• Downvote 1

The 30 year old points thing i am against. Yeah it would make the game more appealing to the masses, but then it pretty much alienates the guys who worked hard for the fighters. Yeah noobs and returning vets have to pick up shitty fighters. If you didn't join the game at the start then most people will have, i know i did. This game isn't a arcade based game, it is a tycoon based game. It takes time and effort to get to the levels of the elite managers. You can say it is just one fighter and they are paying for the slot but it still has that arcade feel of it. If i wanted a quick fix of MMA i'd go stick on the UFC game or something of that nature. Hell even if i didn't want to play it i could just let the cpu fight the cpu.

As long as they just competed in QFC orgs and didn't get any training i wouldn't mind that part of it. No need to get Mike to sit and have to code up a whole new QFC style tourney for the idea. I am still waiting on cutmen and seminars. Been waiting for over a year now. I get the fact Mike wants to try and keep getting people to play the game but it would be nice to improve the game, not just add in a new tourney here or make a new layout there. We have been calling out for more stuff to spend our game cash on for well over a year. Sorry if it seems like i am being selfish but its how i feel about the game.

KT is getting more popular on its own. A lot of older fighters are moving over due to the counter takedowns. Even some new fighters go to KT orgs so they can work on the overall game. So i don't really see the need for a spare KT fighter. You can have upto 20 fighters on your roster. If you want to make a guy for KT only then they are plenty of room for it. More people will move over as time progresses i don't think that needs help.

QFC orgs died when Eveas stopped doing them. It had its nice run then got chop blocked because of people threatening to leave the game if one reached the top 10 p4p. Giving them 70% skills as fuse said may spark a new life into them. It will also bin that nerf you put in place for the skills/hype factor giving you that headache again. So eventually over time they will be making the millions that the big orgs did again.

The Island, never tried it. So no opinion on it. Just not my thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The 30 year old points thing i am against. Yeah it would make the game more appealing to the masses, but then it pretty much alienates the guys who worked hard for the fighters.

Why? A 30 year old is still rubbish compared to a trained fighter. Total skill points would be 1117.

Regarding cornermen and seminars; I am reticent to add more complexity that people are forced to engage in. As many people as would like that, would be against it. I prefer to try and do things that are optional additional levels of complexity. I do still want to do those things - they just make me a bit nervous.

In terms of priorities in general, anyone that likes this game needs new people to sign up right now. I would really appreciate a recruitment drive if people have a bit of spare time and would like to spread the word on forums etc. I'm doing what I can but I need there to be more members here if this place is going to be a viable full time job for me.

Why? A 30 year old is still rubbish compared to a trained fighter. Total skill points would be 1117.

Regarding cornermen and seminars; I am reticent to add more complexity that people are forced to engage in. As many people as would like that, would be against it. I prefer to try and do things that are optional additional levels of complexity. I do still want to do those things - they just make me a bit nervous.

In terms of priorities in general, anyone that likes this game needs new people to sign up right now. I would really appreciate a recruitment drive if people have a bit of spare time and would like to spread the word on forums etc. I'm doing what I can but I need there to be more members here if this place is going to be a viable full time job for me.

I was going by the 30 year old having 70% or 75% skills like what Fuse had mentioned. As i said as long as they stick to the QFC orgs i really wouldn't go inciting a riot. I wouldn't mind to be honest as it is not something i would do but i can see how others would get a kick out of it.

It would be optional, it would be for retired fighters and PA's. You have to have put in VIP days etc to get them same as always.

As far as a recruitment drive. The game has pretty much had a steady 5-6k members for as long as i could remember. People have been trying to get new members to join but as quick as new members join, old members leave. Older members leave because of a number of different things but i feel that if new things for them to buy or use could give them the motivation to say or return.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was going by the 30 year old having 70% or 75% skills like what Fuse had mentioned. As i said as long as they stick to the QFC orgs i really wouldn't go inciting a riot. I wouldn't mind to be honest as it is not something i would do but i can see how others would get a kick out of it.

It would be optional, it would be for retired fighters and PA's. You have to have put in VIP days etc to get them same as always.

As far as a recruitment drive. The game has pretty much had a steady 5-6k members for as long as i could remember. People have been trying to get new members to join but as quick as new members join, old members leave. Older members leave because of a number of different things but i feel that if new things for them to buy or use could give them the motivation to say or return.

If cornermen are to do anything at all, then they aren't really optional - if you want to compete on a level playing field then you have to have one. We would have to provide a standard non-VIP cornerman etc but they would be worse than a personalized cornerman, so that would be the first example of a VIP having a competitive advantage over a non-VIP, in a fight.

Members number wise, this is the lowest we have ever had by a decent margin. I haven't deleted anyone for a week or two because something was bugging out with the deleted members table. The actual number that should be displayed on the homepage right now is about 4950. When it's that low I have to focus more and more attention on advertising and not on improving the game, which is obviously a downward spiral waiting to happen. If people can help out with recruiting just by posting on forums etc, I can spend less time on advertising and more on game improvements for all levels of the game.

If cornermen are to do anything at all, then they aren't really optional - if you want to compete on a level playing field then you have to have one. We would have to provide a standard non-VIP cornerman etc but they would be worse than a personalized cornerman, so that would be the first example of a VIP having a competitive advantage over a non-VIP, in a fight.

Members number wise, this is the lowest we have ever had by a decent margin. I haven't deleted anyone for a week or two because something was bugging out with the deleted members table. The actual number that should be displayed on the homepage right now is about 4950. When it's that low I have to focus more and more attention on advertising and not on improving the game, which is obviously a downward spiral waiting to happen. If people can help out with recruiting just by posting on forums etc, I can spend less time on advertising and more on game improvements for all levels of the game.

this, from the start, has always been my problem with the idea of cornermen.

haven't we figured out that we ARE the cornermen? we are greg jackson telling our fighters to breathe between rounds, we set the sliders which is essentially telling our fighters what to do in all aspects of the figt...roleplay, we have to roleplay/imagine everything else, why not this?

building a 30yr old...totally optional, cuz when was the last time u built a 25yr old? or HAD to? plus, from what i gather, it would be relatively easy and quick to implement.

• Downvote 1

I realize this game isn't arcade like and in the overall picture I wouldn't want it to turn into that type of game. But in a society where you can get things on demand pretty much, there are only a certain type of people who will have the patience to make the 2 yr grind in this game.

We have to find ways to appeal to those looking for instant-gratification in order to get them to stick around long enough to possibly make the 2 yr grind. If you get 1 fighter 70-75% skill where you actually feel like you "belong" into the upper-echelon of the game it could be a reason for guys to stick around long enough because they actually get to experience what it's like to compete with good fighters against good managers and if they're competitive, that could be a big enough incentive for them to stick around and give the game a shot. It's 1 niche fighter, would it REALLY be that big of a deal???

If you think about the old version of QFC orgs was pretty much satisfying that need for instant gratification, not so much on competing at the highest level but in the sense of not having to wait so long between fights. Being able to fight on a weekly basis was a good enough satisfaction but those things have died off and if we're being honest they only appealed to a small part of the user-base anyway. Most of us vets who have been around and have full rosters don't have the biggest desire to fight w/ a shitty 25 yr old creation because if you've competed in bigger orgs fighting at that level isn't very fun aside from the fighting often i suppose, but you can find tournaments like EPL and others to fulfill that same need. Mike is trying to find something that if he spends the time on people will actually use it. I don't believe the Island or QFC orgs will flourish with the niche spot. I could see KT possibly getting some love...but I think if you could have a more skilled guy for QFC orgs or tournaments that may be more appealing to the masses.

• Upvote 2

Just for the record on cornermen, my solution I had planned was to have no difference between a computer generated cornerman and a proper, user run one at a lower level. But when you got to a higher level of hype / rankings, your relationship with your cornerman started to matter a bit more and they had more of an influence than a cornerman you didn't know and were just assigned by the computer. What I imagined you doing would be picking from a drop down of the type of advice you wanted them to give you during the fight e.g. "Remind me to keep calm", "Tell me when to go for the finish" etc, which would nudge the appropriate hiddens in the right direction in certain circumstances.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't mind attempting to run a qfc org after all this talk about the 70% guy and 30 year olds are done. Especially if the 70% fighter is implemented. It seems mindless enuff to where it wouldnt take much time. My only problem is I like running tournies, and guys train regularly. So would it be possible to have QFC events while running regular events?

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind attempting to run a qfc org after all this talk about the 70% guy and 30 year olds are done. Especially if the 70% fighter is implemented. It seems mindless enuff to where it wouldnt take much time. My only problem is I like running tournies, and guys train regularly. So would it be possible to have QFC events while running regular events?

I am pretty sure you can send out QFC or no training contracts....so I would imagine that is possible

Just for the record on cornermen, my solution I had planned was to have no difference between a computer generated cornerman and a proper, user run one at a lower level. But when you got to a higher level of hype / rankings, your relationship with your cornerman started to matter a bit more and they had more of an influence than a cornerman you didn't know and were just assigned by the computer. What I imagined you doing would be picking from a drop down of the type of advice you wanted them to give you during the fight e.g. "Remind me to keep calm", "Tell me when to go for the finish" etc, which would nudge the appropriate hiddens in the right direction in certain circumstances.

sounds ok to me and may b you could use tycoon cash to up grade them as people want something to spend money prob wont work bu ti thought id throw it out tehre

I like Sean's idea (a lot). Never done QFC, but sounds appealing with the higher skill points. It must be demoralizing see the numbers going down, it's no different to anyone of us being under threat of redundancy or own businesses starting to struggle, so if doing a higher skill QFC org gives the newbies a taster for the long term and buying VIP or loads of slots, then I'm behind it 100%.

Whether or not its my personal cup of tea, is irrelevant, I bought 4 years VIP last time, so I'm hooked.

If Sean's idea gives newbies a snap shot of what full tycoon training of a fighter can lead to, it might hook them faster. Its not about creating something to tantalize the already hooked its about generating more long term tycooners, so Mike can stay working full time improving this tycoon drug.

Appeal to the masses - instant gratification and you just might draw in players that get hooked and play the "real" version of tycoon.

Text based games only appeal to a small minority of people - a slow burning text based game has an even smaller pool of users.

There are some responses in here that reek of "it's all about me" which is pretty piss poor if you ask me.

One easier way of doing a 70% QFC would be to open up a different island city for it... It wouldn't have to be a 6 month season but could be just isolated in terms of travel. Either that or doing it on all cities though, it's getting quite complicated to understand as a concept, so we'd need to figure out how to make this all easily understandable for the new user.

One easier way of doing a 70% QFC would be to open up a different island city for it... It wouldn't have to be a 6 month season but could be just isolated in terms of travel. Either that or doing it on all cities though, it's getting quite complicated to understand as a concept, so we'd need to figure out how to make this all easily understandable for the new user.

This would work as well.. That way fighters are locked in to it - you could have it with a computer run org same programming as the grappling tourney?? with the exception that the match ups are decided by hype+pop rather than the 16 man tourney brackets..

As long as the skill degradation is worked out I don't think an island would be needed unless it made the coding easier to single out those fighters. Explanations shouldn't be an issue. When I did it the 1st time it was not a problem. I just had a generic message I added to every contract that worked fine. Make fighter in city, select extra slot, choose qfc 70% skill, code locks him out of gym. Not sure what else was mentioned in the thread, but I am sure we could break it down Barney style for them if needed. If an island made it easier on you it would be ok, since no gyms would be there. Could they still have clothing store access?