PSE 265lbs+ Grand Prix

Alfred

PSE 265lbs+ Grand Prix

Week 15 Preview

Group A

Fourth place Johannes Boe would overtake first place Alan Odrobny with a finish win though what position that would put him in would depend on results elsewhere. Boe’s form has dipped recently and he will be coming in on a two fight losing streak whilst Odrobny has only really struggled against ground fighters whilst looking very good against strikers. Both fighters will be healthy which is great but you’d likely be betting on Odrobny to pick up the win here.

The same goes for Patrick O’Phoenix who currently sits just outside of a qualifying position at 5th when he takes on second place Amanda Nunes. A finish win would see him leapfrog Nunes. O’Phoenix slipped up at the weekend losing something of a surprise to Alf Konrad while Nunes has been absolutely fantastic over the past few weeks picking up wins whilst fighting injured. Both fighters present problems for the other but I think it would be foolish to bet against Nunes at this point especially as O’Phoenix will be coming in with a slight injury

Daniel Bradshaw picked up a big win over Amadeo Camara at the weekend and bullied his way back into a qualifying spot at number three. He’ll be taking on Alf Konrad who has now won four of his last five and could potentially overtake Bradshaw should he managed to finish him at the weekend. Both fighters will be fit and healthy for the fight

Regis Petrozuli is fighting desperately to keep his qualification dreams alive and managed to pick up an absolutely necessary finish win last time out. As luck may have it for him, he will now face Amadeo Camara who is in absolutely terrible form having now lost his last five dropping to the bottom of the group table. Camara will also face the added handicap of coming in with a one day injury.

A bottom of the table clash between Sven Eklund and Diego Columbo rounds out the Group A bouts and both fighters will be at 100% for this one. The result doesn’t impact the upper half of the group but a loss could potentially see the loser ending up at the bottom of the pile. This one is definitely for pride but I wonder how Columbo will stop Eklund from getting the fight to the ground?

Group B

Group B leader Victor Slaughter could cement his place in the finals beyond any doubt with a win over Kyle Cruz here. Cruz himself will be desperately trying to get the win just to keep himself in the running. With a seven point gap between them, a win would not be enough to overtake Slaughter but it might be enough to overtake fourth place rival Hughes Dupont should he slip up again. Either way, the pressure will definitely all be for Cruz here.

Both fighters are healthy.

Heitor Machado, currently tied on points at the top but in second place due to time spent in the cage, takes on Thom Tharrier who has now climbed out from the bottom after picking up his first win of the round last weekend. Machado will be the likely favourite but Tharrier will have a punchers chance.

Okino Naruhiko has battled hard during this second round phase and is going into his last couple of fights in a decent position. Currently sitting in third place, he takes on eliminated Bishop Heahmund who is currently in dire form and fighting to avoid the shameful distinction of finishing last in the group. Baring a surprise result here, Naruhiko should likely strengthen his qualification bid this weekend.

Things have certainly changed for Hugues Dupont over the last couple of weeks. Not so long ago, Dupont was the only fighter in the tournament to remain undefeated but now, after two finish losses in a row, the cracks are beginning to appear and Dupont’s campaign for glory hangs on by a thread. Currently in 4th place with rival Kyle Cruz breathing down his neck, Dupont faces Roar Dinosuar Jr who has only managed one win in his last seven and will be coming into the fight both cut and injured. A massive boon for Dupont who will surely be feeling the pressure at this point.

Lastly in Group B there is Jon Bones versus Michael Dobson. Bones picked up a nice win last week but is still technically eliminated from the tournament while Dobson still has a chance at qualifying further should he manage to win his remaining two fights. He will come in as the favourite and neither fighters will have any nagging injuries.

• Upvote 1

Sorry guys, I completely forgot to do a write up this week and don't have time now.

Just looking at the final week though the following outcomes are possible...

GROUP A

Alan Odrobny - Qualified for next round already. Fights Diego Columbo next who is already eliminated. Both fighters healthy. Could potentially drop down to 3rd with a finish loss and Alf Konrad wins and has less time in the cage

Amanda Nunes - Qualified for next round already. Fights Daniel Bradshaw next who is sitting in 4th. Both fighters healthy. Could potentially drop down to 4th with a finish loss depending on other results. Could also potentially finish first should Odrobny slip up.

Alf Konrad - Sitting in 3rd. Fights Regis Petrozulli next who is 7th place and on thin ice. Both fighters healthy. Could potentially finish first should both Odrobny and Nunes slip up but would still need better cage time than Odrobny for that to happen. Could potentially drop outside of qualifying with a loss. Worst case would be 6th.

Daniel Bradshaw - Currently in 4th. Faces Amanda Nunes next who has already qualified. Could potentially drop down to around 7th with a finish loss depending on other results. It would be VERY likely that Bradshaw would be eliminated with a finish loss as the two fighters underneath him fight each other and a win for either would put them above him. Best for Bradshaw is a potential 2nd place finish but would need Nunes and Konrad to lose and have better cage time than Nunes

Johannes Boe - Currently in 5th place. Faces Patrick O'Phoenix next who will be injured 1 day. Could go as high as 3rd with a max point win. Will be hoping Bradshaw doesn't upset Nunes for simple qualification. Few different scenarios for Boe to qualify and they don't all involve Boe getting a finish win. A dec win for him while Bradshaw losing a point for example would see him go through. Even Bradshaw loses and Boe going to a draw would force cage time comparison.

Patrick O'Phoenix - Currently in 6th. Faces Johannes Boe but will be injured while Boe is fit. Could go as high as 3rd with a max point win but would need other results to go his way. Would qualify with a finish win and Bradshaw getting finished by Nunes

Regis Petrozuli - Currently in 7th and tied for points with O'Phoenix. Faces Alf Konrad. Both are healthy. Could go as high as 3rd with max point win but needs other results to go his way. Needs Bradshaw to lose and then to hope he has better cage time than Konrad if he beats him. Complicated but I think qualification is still theoretically possible.

Diego Columbo - Currently in 8th. Eliminated already. Faces Alan Odrobny. Both fighters healthy. Absolute best Columbo could do right now is 6th place but that would need a max point win, need both O'Phoenix and Petrozuli to get finished in their fights and then hope that he has the best cage time of all three of them

Sven Eklund - Currently in 9th. Eliminated already. Faces Amadeo Camara in what is likely a battle for last place. Both healthy. A finish loss would land him dead last. Absolute best would be 8th and that would require a win, Columbo to loss by finish and have better cage time than him too.

Amadeo Camara - Currently in 10th. Eliminated already. Faces Sven Eklund for last place. Only a finish win for Camara would guarentee that he doesn't finish bottom. Best he could do from here is 9th.

GROUP B

Victor Slaughter - In first place at the moment and guaranteed on spot in the finals already. Faces Heitor Machado who will be injured. An unlikely loss could in theory see him drop as low as 3rd.

Okino Naruhiko - Currently 2nd. Qualified already. Faces Michael Dobson who is injured by one day. Worst case for Naruhiko from here is 3rd while best is potentially 1st but realistically will finish where he is.

Heitor Machado - Currently in 3rd and faces Victor Slaughter next while injured. Still possible to top the group with a finish win but would need better cage time than Slaughter (and has always been behind so far) AND Naruhiko to lose against injured Michael Dobson. Worryingly for Machado is that he could end up eliminated if he loses and Dobson pulls off an upset and has better cage time than him. Would also need Dupont to win also for this to occur. Likley safe but you never know.

Hugues Dupont - 4th Place right now. Faces Thom Tharrier who was not so long ago almost a guaranteed win but has since won his last two by KO. A win could potentially see Dupont go as high as 3rd so long as Machado loses and has worse cage time. Worst Dupont could do is be eliminated. A couple of scenarios where that could happen. Anything other than Dobson getting finished would result in either going head to head on time (Dobson decision loss) or outright elimination (Dobson draw, dec win or finish win). Also if Kyle Cruz wins by finish and Dupont loses by finish they would go head to head on cage time.

Michael Dobson - 5th place. Faces Naruhiko but is injured. Could go as high as 3rd with a win. To qualify he needs either a finish win, Machado to lose and have worse cage time OR Dupont to lose by finish and then just not get finished himself to force cage time comparison. If Dupont loses and Dobson draws at worst then he will qualify.

Kyle Cruz - Currently in 6th. Faces Jon Bones next. Both healthy. To qualify Cruz needs to win first, Dupont to lose a point and then hope that he has better cage time. Unlikely but still a chance. Cannot drop any lower than 6th

Thom Tharrier - Currently in 7th and eliminated already. Faces Hugues Dupont next. Cannot go any higher than 7th but could potentially drop as low as 9th should he lose and Bones and Heahmund have good results elsewhere.

Jon Bones - 8th place and eliminated already. Faces Kyle Cruz next and both are healthy. At best could move up to 7th with a win but needs Tharrier to lose. At worst could still end up dead last in the group.

Bishop Heahmund - 9th place and eliminated already. Faces Roar Dinosuar for the battle of last place but Dinosuar is injured 1 day. Potential best is 7th place finish but needs Tharrier and Bones to lose.

Roar Dinosuar Jr - 10th place and eliminated already. Faces Bishop Heahmund but will fight injured. A loss cements a last place finish. At best is 8th place with other results going his way

Also don't forget that the play-off brackets are already posted and were done at the same time as the second round draw...

Path to Glory

Single Elimination Knockout Stage

Quarter-Final
(X1) A1 v B4
(X2) A2 v B3
(X3) A3 v B2
(X4) A4 v B1
Semi-Final
(Y1) Winner X1 vs. Winner X3
(Y2) Winner X2 vs. Winner X4
Final
Winner Y1 vs. Winner Y2
3rd Place
Runner Up Y1 vs. Runner Up Y2
  • Upvote 2

What an amazing, brutal tourney.

I know I finished last but I have never been results oriented, I knew winning this tourney with the build I chose was going to be nearly impossible but I like challenging myself (I almost won the 265+ Island tourney with an 18 year old creation just a few days ago) and doing weird stuff.

I guess I have a little Raichu and Buff Minion in me on the sense that I love trying the weirdest shit in this game and having a blast while trolling a little (or a lot in my case).

Amadeo Camara took me from coming 4 spots from the #1 manager rank to where we are now lol but Hype is irrelevant, Rank is irrelevant. I really hope to see more and more managers join more tournaments and challenge themselves.

What is next for Camp Camara?

185 creation tourney and

TAG TEAM tourney of course !

• Upvote 3

You didn't come last last mate. Amadeo still made it to the second round.

Just want to say thanks to everyone that kept going even when they knew they were eliminated. A lot of people would have just released them at that point so it really does speak volumes to what a cool bunch of guys where involved.

I'll tally up the final points and update the tables and then post the play-off match ups. There will be two weeks rest time until those match ups

• Upvote 1

Yes. Thank you all for making these the least stressful tourney possible. Considering the number of fighters and duration lasted. The last couple rounds had me worried that a couple managers might not accept their fights but they did. Thank you all very much. And good luck to those that move on. I’ll be releasing fighters as I know for sure who’s disqualified from the next stage.

You didn't come last last mate. Amadeo still made it to the second round.

Just want to say thanks to everyone that kept going even when they knew they were eliminated. A lot of people would have just released them at that point so it really does speak volumes to what a cool bunch of guys where involved.

I'll tally up the final points and update the tables and then post the play-off match ups. There will be two weeks rest time until those match ups

Diego was in it for the haul no matter how bad it looked for him. Honestly, he was proud to do better than anyone gave us a chance for early on and be able to keep it interesting. Thanks for the tourney!

• Upvote 1

What an amazing, brutal tourney.

I know I finished last but I have never been results oriented, I knew winning this tourney with the build I chose was going to be nearly impossible but I like challenging myself (I almost won the 265+ Island tourney with an 18 year old creation just a few days ago) and doing weird stuff.

I guess I have a little Raichu and Buff Minion in me on the sense that I love trying the weirdest shit in this game and having a blast while trolling a little (or a lot in my case).

Amadeo Camara took me from coming 4 spots from the #1 manager rank to where we are now lol but Hype is irrelevant, Rank is irrelevant. I really hope to see more and more managers join more tournaments and challenge themselves.

What is next for Camp Camara?

185 creation tourney and

TAG TEAM tourney of course !

Aside from the potential beastiality comment, there is nothing wrong with having a little raichu in you. It's fun being careless:)

Hell jack dawson I created 18 and threw him against much older fighters and now in his career he is 3-0 or 4-0 in his new org lol

Ray Mancini I picked up with him weighing 170 lbs I dropped his weight to 100 (might be 99 now) and is 3-1 I believe in an openweight division

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

PSE 265lbs+ Grand Prix

Quarter-Finals

(1st June 2019)

Alan Odrobny (13-3) vs. Heitor Machado (10-6)

Group A winner Alan Odrobny takes on 4th Place Group B fighter Heitor Machado

Alan Odrobny came in as a complete unknown and after losing his very first bout in the first round has since go on to become one of the most surprising fighters in the tournament. Using his heavy clinch based approach to winning, Odrobny has racked up a record of 13-3 on his way to the play-offs and will now get set to see just how far he can take this surprise run. With big wins already over the likes of Amanda Nunes, Johannes Boe, Alf Konrad and his opponent tonight, Heitor Machado, Odrobny can definitely not be overlooked at this point

Facing him tonight is BJJ Brown Belt Heitor Machado who has done well to make it this far in the opinion of many who follow these tournaments. In both rounds, Machado has been the last to qualify from the groups stages though it can’t really be claimed that he has struggled. Both times he has done so relatively comfortably but he has definitely picked up a few more losses along the way than some of the more favoured fighters remaining at this point. In fact, during the second round phase, Machado lead the group for some weeks before a drop in form during his final two bouts led him to sliding down into the fourth and last qualifying spot. Still, at this point all that matters is making it to the play-offs as truly anything can and does happen from here.

As already mentioned, Odrobny does have a victory already over Machado but to be fair, that was at the very beginning of the tournament and Machado has developed his wrestling quite a bit since that time. In contrast, Odrobny looks to be pretty much the same old fighter as when he started and you have to wonder if that will become a factor as these final weeks roll by. Odrobny is still the much better fighter on the feet but it isn’t anywhere near the advantage as Machado has over him on the ground. Odrobny has also struggled against ground fighters and all three of his losses in this tournament (four if you include his results outside) have come from the floor. Of course you could argue the same for Machado who has lost twice as many times as Odrobny and has suffered five KO losses in six.

Odrobny will be the favourite in this fight no question but there is a feeling that Machado has

evolved enough as a fighter to make this a very different encounter from their first.

Amanda Nunes (14-2) vs. Hugues Dupont (13-2-1)

Second in Group A Amanda Nunes faces off against 3rd Place in Group B, Hugues Dupont

Like Alan Odrobny, Amanda Nunes came seemingly out of nowhere and took a firm grasp on the tournament early on. Nunes was among a small handful of fighters to go undefeated during the first round and it wasn’t until the third week of the second round where Nunes’ streak finally ended when it ran into Odrobny. At this point it has come out that Nunes’ management team were being coached by none other than the no.1 manager in the tycoonsphere, Alex K and that there had been a disagreement over game planning in the Odrobny fight. Nunes manager blamed Alex K and from there they went there separate ways and the question then became; had camp Nunes learned enough to go out on their own? An injury suffered in the Odrobny match up hampered the return fight but from there, Nunes went on quite an incredibly run that included a couple of wins whilst gripped by injury, something previous thought to be almost impossible. Finishing strong with a five fight streak, Nunes finished in second place and only one point behind group leader Alan Odrobny

Tonight he’ll take on Hugues Dupont who will have the distinction of being the last fighter to lose his undefeated tag in the tournament. For Dupont, it wasn’t even until the sixth week of the second round that he finally fell. Up until that point, Dupont had been a keen hunter of submissions and had always done, at the very least, enough to pick up points. Such was the competitiveness of Group B however, two tough losses in a row made sure that Dupont would not be going through to the play-offs as Group winner and a third place finish being the best he would end up with.

Heading into the match up, things look set to follow a very likely course of action. Dupont will attempt to get the very dangerous brawler Nunes off of his feet whilst Nunes will give it his all not to let that happen. Historically, Nunes has not actually had much problem dealing with wrestlers with his only two losses being to strikers but whether he has faced a wrestler from a proven camp like Dupont is up for debate. Nunes has also developed a strong defensive grappling skill set and while it isn’t likely to hold up indefinitely against the likes of Dupont, it might just give him enough time to stall for a stand up or even get back to his feet. Dupont on the other hand is still very much a novice on the feet and will be extremely vulnerable to the KO power of Nunes. Due to his skill set too, he may also be somewhat predictable though his camp does have a history of excellent use of tactics in a fight.

Nunes will come in as favourite though not by much as this one really could be seen going to either of them. Nunes is in the better form though and hasn’t struggled like many strikers against wrestlers so far in this tournament. For those reasons, Nunes might just have a great chance of making it further.

Okino Naruhiko (14-2) vs. Alf Konrad (9-7)

Group B’s runner up Okino Naruhiko takes on third place Alf Konrad.

At the start of the second phase, I had picked Okino Naruhiko to top the group but after back to back losses to both Kyle Cruz and Heitor Machado, Naruhiko spent the remainder of his campaign playing catch up in what turned out to be an incredibly competition top half. Despite winning every other match aside from those two, in the end Naruhiko had to settle for second place. Still, all that matters is qualifying and in that regard Naruhiko did so pretty comfortably.

He’ll take on Alf Konrad who has flown somewhat under the radar here having been in the shadow of other well performing fighters during the second phase and has done incredibly well to exceed his very incorrect prediction of a 9th place finish. In fact, Konrad seems to have only gotten better as the tournament goes on despite not making any real obvious improvements to his overall game. His final form of the last round was definitely a big factor in his qualification with four KO wins out of five and his only loss coming to hard hitting brawler Amanda Nunes.

On to the match up and it really does look as though despite all of his hard work to get this far, the only chance he has here is a punchers one. Still only possessing a woeful level of wrestling, it’s unlikely that he would have enough about him to stop the inevitable take down attempt from Naruhiko and once on the ground you can bet the house that he will not get another chance on his feet. No sir, his only chance here is to strike first, strike hard and no mercy!

Both fighters are in great form currently and both have perfect percentages of finishes in their victories. Konrad definitely has the ability to clean Naruhiko’s clock and vice versa on the ground for Naruhiko. The only problem here is that it would seem more difficult to stay standing when you don’t have any wrestling to keep it there. Is this the end of the road for Konrad?

Johannes Boe (9-7) vs. Victor Sluaghter (13-3)

First up we have Group A fourth place fighter Johannes Boe taking on number one Group B fighter Victor Slaughter.

Johannes Boe will very likely be considered one of the weakest fighters to make the final play-offs and after his form during the last half of the second phase, it would be hard to argue. Boe just scrapped through after defeating injured Patrick O’Phoenix in his final bout of the round and took advantage of Daniel Bradshaw’s loss to Amanda Nunes to leapfrog him right at the last hurdle. Coming in with a 9-7 record, Boe has definitely exceeded expectations to reach this far in the tournament as he was, perhaps unkindly, predicted an 8th place finish for the second phase so he should definitely be very proud of that. However, his form of late might be something of a concern to him with three first round KO’s in his last five fights almost meaning that he didn’t make it here.

His opponent Victor Slaughter will be coming in after a dominant second phase in Group B. Finishing his scheduled fights with only one loss out of nine and ahead of his closest rival by a clear three points, many people would be betting on Slaughter to win this tournament outright. Of course, in the knockout stages, anything can happen but with finish wins over the likes of Kyle Cruz and Hugues Dupont, no one can deny just how good he is looking right now.

In terms of match up, Slaughter will no doubt be the overwhelming favourite on paper but there is still an element of big danger for him as his striking is at best abysmal and Boe clearly has the power and ability to take him out should he get the chance. Boe has been somewhat of a mixed bag during this tournament but struggling with grapplers hasn’t been a huge issue to him. In fact, the majority of his losses where to strikers. Boe has defeated a decent amount of grapplers so far but whether he has faced someone on the level of Slaughter? Well, that’s debatable. Slaughter is on a murderous rampage right now and should he get Boe on the floor he is likely to grind him straight up. Looking very dangerous on the ground and capable of either beating you up or tapping you out, Boe would stand no chance in that department. Can he pull of an upset here? The bookies think not.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

PSE 265lbs+ Grand Prix

Semi-Finals

(15th June 2019)

Alan Odrobny (14-3) vs. Okino Naruhiko (15-2)

Alan Odrobny has come a long way since the start of this tournament. From completely unknown afterthought to serious contender, Odrobny has proven on numerous occasions now that he is not to be overlooked and that was never more evident when he destroyed Heitor Machado inside of a minute in his quater-final match up. However, there is still a massive question mark hanging over him and that is his ability to deal with high level wrestlers. So far, Odrobny could probably consider himself slightly fortunate to have avoided many of the better wrestlers in the tournament as predominately a striker at heart. In fact, all of his three loses in this tournament have been to superior wrestlers and that will no doubt be of massive concern to his camp as tonight he faces probably one of the best in the tournament, Okino Naruhiko.

Naruhiko rides into this semi-final match up on the back of an eight fight winning streak. He dominated against a spirited Alf Konrad performance to reach the semi-final and now he’ll meet a fighter he has yet to cross paths with in Alan Odrobny.

There is no doubt that despite of all Odrobny’s many good performances in this tournament, Okino Naruhiko will be the heavy favourite going into this fight. Naruhiko’s wrestling is far superior as well as his ground game and so far Odrobny has looked particularly vulnerable on the floor. Odrobny’s strength has definitely been in the clinch and while there might be concern that locking up with Naruhiko would just bring him closer to getting taken down into guard, Odrobny has actually a good record against submission fighters looking to do just that. This is where we expect to see Odrobny attempt to win the fight just as we expect Naruhiko to do so on the ground.

The potential for an excellent final is here no matter what the results but I definitely don’t think I’d be alone in predicting Naruhiko being the one to make it there.

Amanda Nunes (15-2) vs. Victor Slaughter (14-3)

This semi-final match up is going to be the big one. Though similar on paper to Naruhiko/Odrobny in that it is striker versus grappler, the anti-grappling skills of Amanda Nunes will make this encounter extremely interesting.

Usually it is the wrestler that is believed to have the better chance in these types of match up and for someone like Victor Slaughter, a fighter who has racked up seven in a row including the quater-final destruction of opponent Johannes Boe, it would be very easy to pick him as favourite going into this and perhaps even the tournament as a whole (As recent polling would indicate.) However, his opponent Amanda Nunes has excelled against superior wrestlers like Slaughter and in fact, it’s only losses have come from other strikers. Nunes made extremely quick work of Hugues Dupont in the semi-final and any potential lip smacking from other wrestlers at the prospect of facing easy prey would have been decidedly wiped from their faces. Nunes is the real deal but so is Slaughter meaning this fight is going to be pistols at dawn. Whoever draws first wins. Should Slaughter get the quick take down there is no way Nunes is getting back up. Not from a monster like Slaughter who has shown much versatility on the ground. But should Nunes manage to stay upright and connect with one is his powerful hay makers, there is no way Slaughter recovers. Not from a puncher with 14 KO wins out of 15.

Slaughter the favourite but not by much. Two extremely dangerous fighters meeting for the first time. This one isn’t expected to go past the first round.

• Upvote 3

If only my previous Mentor was a little smarter I would be undefeated in finals. That would be a set up right?

I actually believe Alex K. when he says that he never uses predictions. A lot of top managers don`t either because it is "easy mode" to just have the computer run the program that calculates your last 20 fights and gives you the best predictions if you simply don`t touch them.

I like to set predictions because I believe they were made to be used and adds a level of responsibility and work ethic.

Without predictions I never win this fight:

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=969710

After the finals win or lose I would love to have rematch with Alan to see if its true or not.

And I understand its maybe better not to use them if fighters are well rounded but if you see some one who only have used 100% clinch in their previous 12 fights and then say to new manager that its better not to use predictions is pretty dumb and ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...