http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Australia

I'd say that is a good reason to think that Australia has reason to fear... Their military is modern and effective, but far understrength when compared to a power like China. As far as their delivery systems... no idea. I should think that since they are a sophisticated and technologically developed nation that they have the capability to deliver those weapons, but the link makes no mention of their nuclear capabilities nor of their ability to make accurate long range strikes with precision. I don't care to look much beyond that.

I think that JLP is spot on with his assessments and tey can be backed up by things I have researched and read etc. The South Ossetia thing is indeed very complicated. The war fought in the 90's (96 I think) was the most recent until the last one, but it was not an isolated incident. There has been a series of conflicts with Georgia over the status of South Ossetia and Abkhazia (another small region of Georgia that wants to secede). 2008 was just the most recent of those conflicts.

The people of both Abkhazia and South Ossetia were heavily in favor of the Russian military actions that took place and they have filed charges in the world courts against the Georgian government for war crimes and atrocities. While Russia was not innocent of dirty deeds in that conflict they were the lesser of two evils in that conflict. The Georgians were targeting civilians and areas where they new that civilians would be. They destroyed a hospital in South Ossetia with concentrated rocket fire... the list goes on.

The people of those two territories want to be part of Russia again, but due to some rather complicated treaties that is not currently possible. Although, Russia is pushing to change that. The point is though that Georgia was definitely the instigator on that conflict and one has to think that some shady goings on went down behind closed doors that lead Georgia to initiate hostilities with the Russian military.

I suspect that the US made indications that if hostilities were to break out that they would back Georgia. When it actually happened we stayed clear of the conflict of course. I believe that it was a case of us instigating a proxy war to give us a chance to gauge the state of the Russian military without our forces having to engage them at all. That brief conflict did show us a lot about the way the Russian military is run and prepared now. It also demonstrated their tactical abilities.

The final assessment is that while much more sophisticated and potent then we had earlier surmised, that there were still some glaring flaws in their military. Their style of attack seems modeled on our own Blitzkrieg style warfare methods which have proven quite successful. The one area that Russia is superior to us at is the post war occupation. We can take and hold land very quickly but we have no idea what to do with it after it is occupied. That is why these insurgencies keep becoming a pain in the ass.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and Russia and China... not friends. They fucking hate each other. They have gone to war with each other over territorial disputes several times in the 50's and 60's and they are anything but allies. While the likelihood of war between those two countries is extermely unlikely, they are still not exactly going to be taking long showers together.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and Russia and China... not friends. They fucking hate each other. They have gone to war with each other over territorial disputes several times in the 50's and 60's and they are anything but allies. While the likelihood of war between those two countries is extermely unlikely, they are still not exactly going to be taking long showers together.

you got that right bud.

Russia is a non event, Russia cannot supply her own people, let alone a military campaign on foreign soil. Russia and China have been buddy buddy anyway, they seem as reliably aligned as the US and Britain.

China is already at the point where their population is shrinking of natural causes, their theory as I've been able to gather it is that the Chinese economy will have moved past most forms of manual labour in 20 years or so (China is already sourcing manufactured goods from other countries), at which point more people isn't a positive.

Israel has fought with hands behind its back due to international pressure for a long time now, if the United States withdrew support they aren't getting much in the way of international support and will fight however they need. Their nuclear capacity is also the best in the region by a mile, second strike capability and reliability.

The Aussies have had the US Navy in the country for decades, Australia probably let the US Marines set up in the North of the country for 3 reasons -- probably some mix of them

1) To alleviate US diplomatic pressure, Australia has had a fairly left wing government in since 2007 and hasn't wanted to bolster troop numbers in Afghanistan or Iraq (when it comes to peace keeping and training Australia has one of the better armies out there) when the US has been doing surges.

2) The US may never have actually asked before, the US has been expanding its presence in SEA lately.

3) Concerns about China, and more likely; Indonesia (the largest Muslim country on earth, which is sadly becoming more radical by the day).

The Chinese navy really only exists to try and bully around some of the nearby archipelago and island nations and keep an eye on shipping lanes, at this point at least it's not a major concern.

India would be pretty secure in the knowledge Australia won't attack them unless it's a return strike; India is one of Australias major trading partners, Australia has a big Indian population, and Australia isn't heavily into suicide. Regardless, Australia has the economy to purchase what it needs.

The reason there's no motivation is because everything else is vastly more expensive.

Eric is corrcet here - the US have had troops in Australia for about 60 years, in fairly small numbers. What you may be talking about JLP is the fact there has been a new pact signed to allow 2500 american marines to come out to Darwin Australia.

For those that are saying Sth Korea would make North Korea their "bitch" you couldn't be further from the truth, The only reason there is a North and South Korea is the fact America has troops stationed there..

Tale of The Tape

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag68/Stu_Pidasol/armysize_zps079900ef.jpg

If north korea did anything they would get crushed. Im almost certain they wont as surley they arent that stupidbto even risk it. The americans the Uk UN china everyone will oppise north korea and leave behind scorched earth policy

While the Haarp(s) are active, no Rocket Nukes will enter US airspace, they will all be taken out at high altitude over the pacific, closer to Asia than North America, so no many worries there for US citicens.

Haarp can't stop nukes from blasting SK, as far as i'm aware, unless they've managed to build a "mobile" unit and have access to a great source of electrical power.

For those unaware, Haarp was Reagan's "Star Wars" missile defence program and is disguised as a ionospheric science facility.

The first one was set up in Alaska in the early 80's, as a shield against the Nuclear threat from Russia.

Interesting question i was asked would i join the army if north korea invaded? So that is the question i ask you whoever is reading this

North Korea doesn't have the capacity to invade anyone but South Korea.

I wouldn't join the army or take up arms in Denmark, because of that....

But in the impossible event of the fuckers invading Denmark...

Damn right I would....

I'd turn coat as fast as I could, endear myself to their great leader and smother him with a pillow when the opportunity presented itself (unless they won).

Interesting question i was asked would i join the army if north korea invaded? So that is the question i ask you whoever is reading this

Easy question for me because we have mandatory military service for men in Finland, so I'd really have no choice :D But I doubt that NK would invade Finland, at least I hope they wont. :D I rather play mmatycoon at home than fight North-Koreans :)

I'd turn coat as fast as I could, endear myself to their great leader and smother him with a pillow when the opportunity presented itself (unless they won).

Just because he makes you his bitch doesn mean you get to sleep in his bed. Hard to smother him with a pillow from the couch! HAHA

Just because he makes you his bitch doesn mean you get to sleep in his bed. Hard to smother him with a pillow from the couch! HAHA

I'll have you know I am very good at tip-toe'ing around other men's apartments while they're sleeping, sir.

I'll have you know I am very good at tip-toe'ing around other men's apartments while they're sleeping, sir.

I guess I better keep my valuable locked up. Yes I mean my chastity belt.