Any advice on MMA/Boxing training?

TPowell

Have never done anything MMA related in my life but I would like to venture into training. I don't want to go at it super hard but I'd love to learn the fundamentals of boxing, wrestling basics, etc. while I get myself in better shape. I'm 5'11 and 215 pounds. I lost around 60-70 pounds a couple years ago lifting weights and eating super clean and minimal calories but I broke down and picked up an umbilical hernia and had to have surgery. I ballooned soon after back up to my original weight nearly. Anyways, long story short, at 27 years old what would be my best option?

Find a good gym, listen to what your coach tells you and just put in all you got. There is no magic technique just hard work and hours of practise :)

I guess my worry is I don't want to end up somewhere that I'm expected to do more than I feel comfortable with. I realize hard work is necessary but I also realize you can easily overwork yourself and injure yourself if you aren't careful.

Whatever you end up doing just make sure you ease into it to avoid injuries, too much running will damage the knees and too much weight lifting will destroy your back......from a former fatty who found out the hard way

I guess my worry is I don't want to end up somewhere that I'm expected to do more than I feel comfortable with. I realize hard work is necessary but I also realize you can easily overwork yourself and injure yourself if you aren't careful.

That's why I said find a good coach, talk to him, tell him what you want and what you're afraid of. Now ijuries will happen, you might kick and elbow during sparring or during padwork. But those are more like bruises, if you do it right and not as a professional you wont break arms :)