Ngannou vs Overeem

bjornmma1

Overeem mostly gets his takedowns from the clinch (I remember a real bad shot on struve that worked, but that was struve and he has awful tdd). It's hard to keep someone guessing in the striking phase with TD's when you have to clinch first to get them. Especially when you are the far more experienced and technical striker.

He's 3 of 10 in the UFC with td's and the guys he's gotten down are a who's who of poor TDD, Bigfoot, Arlovski and Struve. Neither Arlovski or Silva were stressed by the ground game of Overeem after TD's. Going for a low percentage, high exertion move is bad strategy. His td against Bigfoot and following ineffective gnp actually gassed him and led to another example of the overeem collapse resulting in him taking a pretty bad beating before Bigfoot knocked him out.

I did not speak about his takedown ability, but his ground game, a big difference.

Is Overeem goos at takedowns? Nope.

Can he fight pretty good on the ground? Yes.

Overeem is the more technical fighter, that is clear, but pure striking against such a powerful striker as Ngannou is dangerous. Keep Ngannou thinking about possible clinch attempts and takedowns would create openings for strikes and possible grappling moves.

Ngannou showed patience in his last fights and that is scary. A big wild KO-fighter is dangerous but beatable. A calculated and smart powerpuncher is far harder to beat. Ngannou is evolving fast and adapting.

I did not speak about his takedown ability, but his ground game, a big difference.

Is Overeem goos at takedowns? Nope.

Can he fight pretty good on the ground? Yes.

Overeem is the more technical fighter, that is clear, but pure striking against such a powerful striker as Ngannou is dangerous. Keep Ngannou thinking about possible clinch attempts and takedowns would create openings for strikes and possible grappling moves.

Ngannou showed patience in his last fights and that is scary. A big wild KO-fighter is dangerous but beatable. A calculated and smart powerpuncher is far harder to beat. Ngannou is evolving fast and adapting.

Are you for real? Maybe im reading what you wrote wrong, but the words in bold dont talk about takedowns at all?

"At least threaten" means you believe he should be committing himself to getting the fight to the ground via takedowns.

I strongly disagree. If he would not at least threaten takedowns now and then, he would be stupid. He has to keep Ngannou guessing.

His ground game is good by the way for a HW. If it gets to the ground and Overeem is on top, Ngannou would be in trouble.

Not even talking about his poor ability to get fights to the ground, I dont get the idea that Overeem should base his gameplan on something that he isnt really good at. For some reason, not based on anything he has done recently or against top competition, his ground game is really overrated.

Ngannou has already beaten two guys in the UFC who I would rate as better grapplers then Overeem in Henrique and Blaydes. I want Ngannou to win, so I hope it turns into a grappler match. I think the two's grappling abilities are closer then their striking skills and overeem will gas faster grappling then he will striking.

Are you for real? Maybe im reading what you wrote wrong, but the words in bold dont talk about takedowns at all?

"At least threaten" means you believe he should be committing himself to getting the fight to the ground via takedowns.

Not even talking about his poor ability to get fights to the ground, I dont get the idea that Overeem should base his gameplan on something that he isnt really good at. For some reason, not based on anything he has done recently or against top competition, his ground game is really overrated.

Ngannou has already beaten two guys in the UFC who I would rate as better grapplers then Overeem in Henrique and Blaydes. I want Ngannou to win, so I hope it turns into a grappler match. I think the two's grappling abilities are closer then their striking skills and overeem will gas faster grappling then he will striking.

Lets see how it turns out and what Overeem his gameplan was like. I am curious.

I hope to see Ngannou win, but Overeem should be able to beat him and is the favorite in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you think the technical striking ability and experience of Hunt is at all comparable to what Ngannou possesses? Personally, I dont see any correlation between the two. I don't think he needs to feint to land on Ngannou, anything he does other then strike will drain his already limited gas tank unnecessarily.

Of course they are not the same. That doesn't take away that Francis has really good fundamentals, and turning this into a pure striking match will improve the odds that Overeem gets countered. A approach like Cerrone in the Lawler fight could very well work here

• 4 weeks later...

I would not want to be a top HW in the UFC at the moment, unless my name was Francis Ngannou. His KO power is absolutely frightening!

The UFC must be really stoked to finally have found there true killer HW KO-artist, who is also not that old yet.

Easy call - Overeem got killed with that punch

Although even Mark Hunt/Roy Nelson would've got wrecked that was ridiculous

I would not want to be a top HW in the UFC at the moment, unless my name was Francis Ngannou. His KO power is absolutely frightening!

The UFC must be really stoked to finally have found there true killer HW KO-artist, who is also not that old yet.

And then post fight, you see Jerome Le Banner behind him, looking like a dwarf compared to Ngannou, scary!

lol @ anybody who thought Overoid was gonna win.

possible, but unlikely.

I'll call it now... all the muscles in the world won't protect Ngannou from Stipe. I think Stipe fucks him up and finishes him late in the 2nd round. French fighters are soft when faced with adversity.

Can Stipe get KTFO with one donkey punch? Absolutely. So can Ngannou. Anybody writing off Stipe is a fool.

possible, but unlikely.

I'll call it now... all the muscles in the world won't protect Ngannou from Stipe. I think Stipe fucks him up and finishes him late in the 2nd round. French fighters are soft when faced with adversity.

Can Stipe get KTFO with one donkey punch? Absolutely. So can Ngannou. Anybody writing off Stipe is a fool.

one punch from Artem the god Lobov would ko both of these bums.

Punch Overeem took would've dropped or KOd most guys, but position he was in to get hit by it was pretty poor -- chin raised, hand at his hip, shoulder utterly out of the equation.

Totally agreed. At this point I think he is well aware of his glass chin and is so scared of getting hit on the chin that he unintentionally puts himself in positions like that. He just seems to fight scared at this point, there is fighting cautiously but he seems more scared to me but that's just what I've been seeing from him.

possible, but unlikely.

It's Cameroon blood though my friend

• 2 weeks later...