MLB 2018 Discussion

Deuce7

Spring training is upon us, so let's get this rolling with some off-season highlights................

Shohei Ohtani surprises everyone and signs with the Angels

Wade Davis gets $52million and heads to the thin air of Coors Field

Derek Jeter takes over Miami and unloads Giancarlo Stanton (Yankees), Dee Gordon (Mariners), Marcell Ozuna (Cardinals) and Christian Yelich (Brewers)

Angels add another high profile piece by trading for Ian Kinsler

Dodgers reunite with Matt Kemp in a contract dump trade with the Braves

Giants make a huge splash by trading for Evan Longoria and Andrew McCutchen

Jay Bruce goes back to the Mets on a 3yr $39million deal

Brewers lure Lorenzo Cain away from the Royals & Giants

Astros pull off a stunner and acquire Gerrit Cole

Todd Frazier rides the subway and signs with the Mets

Cubs land another big name pitcher and ink Darvish to a 6yr $126million contract

Padres outbid Royals with $144million for Eric Hosmer

J.D. Martinez and the Red Sox end their off-season long dance and finally agree to a deal

• Upvote 1

Good thread and thanks for the info, I wasn't up to all of those news.

First thing that I can think of is that that great KC Royals team no longer exists. Also the Giants look good and the Jay Bruce deal is a bargain IMO.

Unfortunately the Royals were never going to spend the money to keep their core together, but it was enjoyable to watch them make their runs the last few years after being completely irrelevant for about two decades.

Giants are using the Dodgers formula; get established veterans who might have their best years behind them. I'm still surprised they pulled off both trades considering their farm system is awful, but I guess that's why I'm not an MLB exec.

I was very surprised to see Bruce go back to the Mets after we saw so many reports that he wasn't happy in New York, but I guess $13million per year will cheer most guys up.

Miami is always dumping talent, wtf. I guess it somewhat works for them though.

This one I understand more then the two after their World Series wins. I think they're new owners will be willing to spend the money and not blow up the team every 6-7 years, but they needed to hit the reset button and find new faces of their franchise. It will still be about 3-4 years before they actually look good, but patience is key.

The JD Martinez signing the other day was funny to me due to the ESPN coverage I saw on it. On Around the Horn they were crowing about the signing, saying he puts up Trout #s. I had to look the dude up, he had a good year last year, but he is far from Mike Trout. They both came into the league in '11 but Trout blows him away in every stat. Martinez' last year was the only year with an OPS higher than Trout's career OPS. Just goes to show that ESPN will slob that knob if you play for the red sox or Yankees.

The JD Martinez signing the other day was funny to me due to the ESPN coverage I saw on it. On Around the Horn they were crowing about the signing, saying he puts up Trout #s. I had to look the dude up, he had a good year last year, but he is far from Mike Trout. They both came into the league in '11 but Trout blows him away in every stat. Martinez' last year was the only year with an OPS higher than Trout's career OPS. Just goes to show that ESPN will slob that knob if you play for the red sox or Yankees.

Martinez has only had two good seasons and that was after Miguel Cabrera taught him how to hit. Before that Martinez was a high rated prospect from the Astros that couldn't hit to save his life once he reached the big leagues.

Martinez has only had two good seasons and that was after Miguel Cabrera taught him how to hit. Before that Martinez was a high rated prospect from the Astros that couldn't hit to save his life once he reached the big leagues.

I'd heard the name before, but couldnt tell you who he played for as I dont watch the AL much at all. I was pretty shocked when ESPN told me he was a Mike Trout level hitter.

I'd heard the name before, but couldnt tell you who he played for as I dont watch the AL much at all. I was pretty shocked when ESPN told me he was a Mike Trout level hitter.

I really can't wait to hear what ESPN has to say about Harper next off-season if they're comparing Martinez to Trout. I'm predicting "greatest player of all-time" will come up at least a few times.

I really can't wait to hear what ESPN has to say about Harper next off-season if they're comparing Martinez to Trout. I'm predicting "greatest player of all-time" will come up at least a few times.

He's a good hitter, but man is he overrated. Two really great years and four above average ones. Add in that the dude has been hurt frequently and I dread him potentially coming to Chicago. He's going to get 40 mil a year and I hope its somewhere other then with the cubs.

looking like gonna be a repeat of last year -- go stroooo's

I'm predicting the Cubs and Astros will make several appearances in the World Series over the next 5 years. Not necessarily against each other, but at least one of them.

Houston Astros minor leaguer Forrest Whitley, one of the game's top pitching prospects, has been suspended 50 games for a violation of minor league baseball's drug program, Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday.

At least it wasn't PEDs, but it's still an problem. Hopefully he gets clean.

I'm glad Martinez ended up on the red sox and not the Diamondbacks. He was far too expensive for a really good power hitter and shit outfielder. This new front office has been making some smart moves and not signing him is just one more to tack on. Signing Dyson as a 4th outfielder for speed and defense was a smart move and trading for Souza is a great replacement for Martinez. He's not the same level hitter but he has good power and average defense. Not to mention he's a couple years younger and under team control for a few years.

I had a good laugh today when I got home and turned on the Cubs/Sox game on the DVR. The look on my wifes face when she realized its baseball season again and I will be watching about 170 (hopefully more if the cubs go deep in the playoffs) games over the next 8 months. I told her she had all of February with me watching no sports except MMA.

• Upvote 2

I had a good laugh today when I got home and turned on the Cubs/Sox game on the DVR. The look on my wifes face when she realized its baseball season again and I will be watching about 170 (hopefully more if the cubs go deep in the playoffs) games over the next 8 months. I told her she had all of February with me watching no sports except MMA.

Thankfully my wife enjoys baseball. Not as much as I do, but she will gladly sit down and watch a game.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrieta to the Phils. I wish him luck, he had the most dominant season I've ever seen for a Cubs pitcher a couple years back. He had a rough first half last year and struggled a bit. But he did have a nice second half, despite losing substantial velocity off the fastball.

Arrieta to the Phils. I wish him luck, he had the most dominant season I've ever seen for a Cubs pitcher a couple years back. He had a rough first half last year and struggled a bit. But he did have a nice second half, despite losing substantial velocity off the fastball.

Wanted to much money for his age and the season he had. Sad to see him go, but glad we didn't pay him that much. $75mil for 3yrs is a lot of money.

Wanted to much money for his age and the season he had. Sad to see him go, but glad we didn't pay him that much. $75mil for 3yrs is a lot of money.

It is a lot of money but 3 years isn't bad and I don't see him falling off a cliff production wise in the next 2 years so it wouldn't be a bad signing imo but the Cubs have a lot of depth in their rotation so it was probably best for them to move on.

I love living in Arizona in March simply for spring training, weirdly enough this is the time when most people get hyped about going to baseball games, the rest of the season nobody really cares its sad but I enjoy talking baseball and going to games with so many people.

It is a lot of money but 3 years isn't bad and I don't see him falling off a cliff production wise in the next 2 years so it wouldn't be a bad signing imo but the Cubs have a lot of depth in their rotation so it was probably best for them to move on.

I love living in Arizona in March simply for spring training, weirdly enough this is the time when most people get hyped about going to baseball games, the rest of the season nobody really cares its sad but I enjoy talking baseball and going to games with so many people.

I really want to catch two games in a day whenever I manage to get down there. Went to a D-backs/Cubs game two years ago and loved Chase Field.

I really want to catch two games in a day whenever I manage to get down there. Went to a D-backs/Cubs game two years ago and loved Chase Field.

It might be my hometown bias but I think Chase is a great stadium. I've only been to 4 other stadiums (Padres, Dodgers, Rockies, and Texans) but Chase was far more enjoyable to watch baseball.

What do you guys think about the new rule in the minors where extra innings will start with a runner on second?

What do you guys think about the new rule in the minors where extra innings will start with a runner on second?

I can understand it for Minor League games. I don't like it, but I understand it. Minor League games are nice, but they aren't major league games and the "ballpark experience" isn't quite the same. Minor League games probably consist of more "casual" fans than "hardcore" fans, which means they want to watch a 9 inning game and go home. Now if you're in a Major League ballpark, tickets are going to be more expensive, so chances are more people are sticking around for extras no matter what (at least for anything under 14 innings) to get their money's worth.