Need MMA Training Advice

JHL

So, here's my situation. I'm considering wrestling in college (currently in HS). I would do this and hopefully be able to take MMA fights and train on the side. Would it make more sense to focus on training MMA by itself or wrestle in college and train alongside that?

I would probably stick with putting your heart in wrestling and maybe doing some very basic BJJ or striking (boxing) classes if you feel the itch but probably a bad idea trying to do everything at once.

I would probably stick with putting your heart in wrestling and maybe doing some very basic BJJ or striking (boxing) classes if you feel the itch but probably a bad idea trying to do everything at once.

I've done BJJ before, competed a few times and have a few medals. Taking time off to focus on wrestling

If you plan on doing MMA I would work on sub defense, not giving up your back, and work on being comfortable on your back just in case. Ideally you should train BJJ along side your wrestling. With strong wrestling and say a blue belt you should be able to easily win early fights. I would also recommend training muay Thai or even boxing before taking many fights too, knowing how your going to react to getting hit hard is very important.

Wrestle in college. Good to get an education. Always good to have back up plans. Not to mention you are getting good training, fitness machines to work with, and top notch weight cutting techniques. You can almost always find either a martial arts studio or boxing class in most college towns or areas. Some gyms even have actual mma training classes 2-4 times a week.

• Upvote 1

Wrestle in college. Good to get an education. Always good to have back up plans. Not to mention you are getting good training, fitness machines to work with, and top notch weight cutting techniques. You can almost always find either a martial arts studio or boxing class in most college towns or areas. Some gyms even have actual mma training classes 2-4 times a week.

Idk if you saw my other posts, but if I don't go to a D3 school it's because I'm going to attend a much larger school who in some scenarios may only have a club

Idk if you saw my other posts, but if I don't go to a D3 school it's because I'm going to attend a much larger school who in some scenarios may only have

Just read the initial post only. But still stands either way have them pay for you getting better. Even if they have a club you are still getting some training to get better at that discipline which most fighters is a great base to have and workout equipment to use. Still will be in a college area to do some martial arts training or even check with the local gyms there to see if they have martial arts classes. If so usually they are included in the monthly gym membership and is open to everyone at the gym. So if so it won't be as high quality as going to a single discipline gym or an actual mma gym but a lot cheaper and the ones teaching those classes do have to be trained for the state to allow them to teach those classes.