Ngannou vs Overeem

bjornmma1

Opinions and predictions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-6CrTSFZA

I am a big fan of Ngannou, but think that if Overeem plays it smart and gets it to the ground, he might beat him. But he can not get caught with anything decent striking or he will be in big trouble. Overeem is an amazing striker, but Ngannou his power is too much for Overeem at this point.

Oh Yes! Granite Chin means very little at Heavyweight, even IRL. What really makes it is the Heart.

I give it to Ngannou 3rd round TKO even though he will catch Overeem probably late in the 1st rd I'm sure Overeem can recover and take it to him.

It can go either way but I'm rooting for Ngannou as I want to see him go far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Overeem should in theory be the favorite, if he uses his experience, clinch and takes him to the ground, he should win it. Ngannou has been pretty good at defending the takedowns, and Overeem's chin is made of something soft, so unless Overeem can end this early, he will get KOed. The HW division needs someone like Ngannou at the moment, we mostly have old degrading fighters, so having a new dominant champ would do wonders for the division.

• Upvote 1

The "Overeem is a good grappler" garbage is rearing it's goofy head here. Submitting a few cans a long time ago is no indication that he will be able to implement any ground game on Nganou. Overeem's best chance is to strike with him, he's far more technical and experienced.

The "Overeem is a good grappler" garbage is rearing it's goofy head here. Submitting a few cans a long time ago is no indication that he will be able to implement any ground game on Nganou. Overeem's best chance is to strike with him, he's far more technical and experienced.

His last submission win was in 2009 I think.

Not getting subbed by Mir and Werdum, and actually doing damage from the top to Mir has to count for something though
  • Upvote 2

Overeem is far more well rounded than Ngannou, but with his glass chin, one good shot WILL put him out. Overeem is a much better grappler than Ngannou, but Ngannou's sheer strength may counter this. You saw what he did to Hamilton. Ngannou was in an unfavorable position, but he just dragged him to the ground and smashed his arm behind his back. I believe that Overeem will be able to have success against Ngannou early, as Ngannou struggles to find his range and deal with everything Overeem throws at him. However, I believe Ngannou is smart and mature beyond his years, and he will eventually time Overeem for a comeback KO win in rounds 2 or 3.

Overeem- Must come out fast early and throw every trick he has at Ngannou, with a lot of variety. He must finish Ngannou early or Ngannou will Time him and knock him out.

Ngannou- Must be patient. If he comes out aggressive early, Overeem can take him down or counter him. Ngannou should try and counter Overeem, but not give him space to land kicks. Ngannou' reach should come into play, as he can keep Overeem on his toes with his reach and then Time him as he comes in.

Overall, if the two fighters are afraid to engage each other, this match could be a sleeper or a barn burner. I believe that if Overeem is to win, it will be early. If Ngannou does what Werdum does and sits back and counters, the shot he lands will knock Overeem out.

I think 45%- Ngannou by KO/Sub

35%- Overeem by KO/ Sub

12%- Overeem by Dec

8%- Ngannou by Dec

Dude he would win on the ground but he feels a tap and lets go before ref even reacts, that's how next level his ground game is.

I think Overeem is the better striker and the better grappler compared to Ngannou. The chin, cardio and many instances of complete collapse in the cage is why Ngannou is the favorite. Overeem going in trying to get a TD and win on the ground is probably the worst gameplan he could possibly have. Maybe he drops Ngannou and finishes him on the ground.

I think Overeem is the better striker and the better grappler compared to Ngannou. The chin, cardio and many instances of complete collapse in the cage is why Ngannou is the favorite. Overeem going in trying to get a TD and win on the ground is probably the worst gameplan he could possibly have. Maybe he drops Ngannou and finishes him on the ground.

I strongly disagree. If he would not at least threaten takedowns now and then, he would be stupid. He has to keep Ngannou guessing.

His ground game is good by the way for a HW. If it gets to the ground and Overeem is on top, Ngannou would be in trouble.

I strongly disagree. If he would not at least threaten takedowns now and then, he would be stupid. He has to keep Ngannou guessing.

His ground game is good by the way for a HW. If it gets to the ground and Overeem is on top, Ngannou would be in trouble.

Overeem mostly gets his takedowns from the clinch (I remember a real bad shot on struve that worked, but that was struve and he has awful tdd). It's hard to keep someone guessing in the striking phase with TD's when you have to clinch first to get them. Especially when you are the far more experienced and technical striker.

He's 3 of 10 in the UFC with td's and the guys he's gotten down are a who's who of poor TDD, Bigfoot, Arlovski and Struve. Neither Arlovski or Silva were stressed by the ground game of Overeem after TD's. Going for a low percentage, high exertion move is bad strategy. His td against Bigfoot and following ineffective gnp actually gassed him and led to another example of the overeem collapse resulting in him taking a pretty bad beating before Bigfoot knocked him out.

Overeem mostly gets his takedowns from the clinch (I remember a real bad shot on struve that worked, but that was struve and he has awful tdd). It's hard to keep someone guessing in the striking phase with TD's when you have to clinch first to get them. Especially when you are the far more experienced and technical striker.

He's 3 of 10 in the UFC with td's and the guys he's gotten down are a who's who of poor TDD, Bigfoot, Arlovski and Struve. Neither Arlovski or Silva were stressed by the ground game of Overeem after TD's. Going for a low percentage, high exertion move is bad strategy. His td against Bigfoot and following ineffective gnp actually gassed him and led to another example of the overeem collapse resulting in him taking a pretty bad beating before Bigfoot knocked him out.

On the other hand, the threat really opened up his offence against Hunt. He doesn't have to commit to them, but he can use them to set up overhands or knees
  • Upvote 1

On the other hand, the threat really opened up his offence against Hunt. He doesn't have to commit to them, but he can use them to set up overhands or knees

Do you think the technical striking ability and experience of Hunt is at all comparable to what Ngannou possesses? Personally, I dont see any correlation between the two. I don't think he needs to feint to land on Ngannou, anything he does other then strike will drain his already limited gas tank unnecessarily.