I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

U.S grappling is holding a tournament in Va Beach on Aug. 22, 2015. Im gonna resister at the end if the week and join in the Gi and No gi weight class divisions. I'm really pumped about this. Not 100% sure whether Id be considered novice or intermediate though. Ive only been training a month now but I'm hanging with guys who have trained for months so i dont wanna 'sandbag'. Here is a link:https://www.usgrappling.com/events/virginia-beach-august-2015/

U.S grappling is holding a tournament in Va Beach on Aug. 22, 2015. Im gonna resister at the end if the week and join in the Gi and No gi weight class divisions. I'm really pumped about this. Not 100% sure whether Id be considered novice or intermediate though. Ive only been training a month now but I'm hanging with guys who have trained for months so i dont wanna 'sandbag'. Here is a link:https://www.usgrappling.com/events/virginia-beach-august-2015/

You're considered a novice. Who you train with has no determination on your level. Otherwise training with a black belt would auto take you outta the novice category. Don't do yourself a disservice by signing up for intermediate.

And don't place any crazy pressure on yourself, go have fun and learn. That's the real point of tournaments in my opinion.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

I hit a gogo-plata last night in sparring! I yelled after dude tapped cuz i was excited, my instructor thought one of us was hurt lol. Dude had no idea what i was doing the next thing ya know he is getting choked by foot/shin.

I might have only hit one on my clueless big brother but I'm still proud of it haha.

Seeing the talk of tournaments and stuff gets me excited to sign up somewhere. Hopefully I've got enough money when I'm in college to afford it.

You're considered a novice. Who you train with has no determination on your level. Otherwise training with a black belt would auto take you outta the novice category. Don't do yourself a disservice by signing up for intermediate.

And don't place any crazy pressure on yourself, go have fun and learn. That's the real point of tournaments in my opinion.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Ok cool, thanks. Wasnt sure about that.

I might have only hit one on my clueless big brother but I'm still proud of it haha.

Seeing the talk of tournaments and stuff gets me excited to sign up somewhere. Hopefully I've got enough money when I'm in college to afford it.

This one isnt too high i dont guess. It's $75 for 2 divisions, I'm gonna go ahead and register this week. Cool thing is its at Va Beach and my girlfriend has been buggin me about wanting to go to the beach so this works out perfect.

Ive only been training a month

Yep novice is the division for you .It not sanddbanging since only training for a month .I thinking you get the fairest fights and your not 100% sure to win it.They might be other better guys you didn't spar yet training the same time as you.See how you do.IF you totally dominate yep move up a level .If still unsure ask you coach he have the best idea on your ability at the moment

Is the tournament run on novice and intermediate levels and not belts?

they go by belt too, but they ask skill level for people who may have different grappling experience in wrestling, sambo or something other than BJJ. In the rules it says anyone with 3 years high school wrestling be considered intermediate.

Is the tournament run on novice and intermediate levels and not belts?

Most tournaments have a novice and intermediate white belt divisions, then blue, purple etc etc. But like skull said you're supposed to disclose any other grappling or combat sport experience when you register. Most people don't, I competed against a Tae Kwan Do black belt in a white belt division once.

TKD wouldn't count anyway as it's not a grappling based style. For example, a Judo black belt would automatically have to fight at blue belt minimum because of the similarity in styles.

It'll probably be the No Gi competitions that are based on experience as technically there are no belt levels in No Gi.

Speaking of No Gi and because I want to show off a little ( :P ), here's a picture from one of my No Gi classes from last week.

1607104_10206017826076813_94265237783698

I'm middle row, fourth from right. The more eagle eyed of you might spot my instructor, world champion, hall of famer and all around legend Braulio Estima (front row, middle), multiple time world champion Felipe Jerry (front row, second from right) and UFC referee Marc Goddard (back row, fifth from right).

Yea TKD probably doesn't count for experience. Funny you mention judo, apparently there was a girl with a judo black belt who competed in the novice division at that same tourney. She steam rolled her division, ruins it for the other girls who were there and trying to judge their progress.

Anyway have fun Skull it'll be a good time I'm sure.

Yea TKD probably doesn't count for experience. Funny you mention judo, apparently there was a girl with a judo black belt who competed in the novice division at that same tourney. She steam rolled her division, ruins it for the other girls who were there and trying to judge their progress.

I was rolling with guy the other day that was a white belt as well but immediately i could tell something was up because he was doing things we hadnt learned. So afterwords I find out he trained Sambo for a few years LOL I was like I knew something was up

Double gold at purple belt at the British Open. Earned him his brown belt on the podium.

Yeah heard it was something solid. Dude seems legit, but guy as well.

Yeah essentially Judo practitioners are masters of a couple of techniques, where as a lot of times in Jiu Jitsu people might be great at loads of things. Basically, as MMA fans you could just use Ronda as your example. Especially in Jiu Jitsu tournaments where different forms of takedowns might not be as practised as a Judo practitioner does. Judo tends to be rapid as well. After a patient entrance into the throw, they'll look for the sub instantly. In a novice tournament I can see how that would scare the shit out of some people. Reminds me of when I first continuous sparred as a new comer to karate and one dude scared me with constantly high kicks. Probably the easiest thing to capitalize on but in your first taste of it, it's hard to look for the opening and not turtle up.

Do you guys know what the system is with most jiu jitsu tournaments? Are they single elimination and then it's done? I was in a 4 man karate tournament once, still to date the only tournament I've done. Two of the other yellow belts there trained with me, one was some old guy from elsewhere. I got my best mate drafted. We were on right after the kids so the trainee judges got the rules wrong and were warning me for every head strike (of course not telling me) so I got DQed for it. The sensei with us told me what the deal was and I was like "Ahh right, good to know now I guess" but the didn't do 3rd and 4th place so I never got to make the adjustment. In jiu jitsu, if a steamroll situation happens like you said, it would suck if you didn't get a second shot at it.

Yeah heard it was something solid. Dude seems legit, but guy as well.

Yeah essentially Judo practitioners are masters of a couple of techniques, where as a lot of times in Jiu Jitsu people might be great at loads of things. Basically, as MMA fans you could just use Ronda as your example. Especially in Jiu Jitsu tournaments where different forms of takedowns might not be as practised as a Judo practitioner does. Judo tends to be rapid as well. After a patient entrance into the throw, they'll look for the sub instantly. In a novice tournament I can see how that would scare the shit out of some people. Reminds me of when I first continuous sparred as a new comer to karate and one dude scared me with constantly high kicks. Probably the easiest thing to capitalize on but in your first taste of it, it's hard to look for the opening and not turtle up.

Do you guys know what the system is with most jiu jitsu tournaments? Are they single elimination and then it's done? I was in a 4 man karate tournament once, still to date the only tournament I've done. Two of the other yellow belts there trained with me, one was some old guy from elsewhere. I got my best mate drafted. We were on right after the kids so the trainee judges got the rules wrong and were warning me for every head strike (of course not telling me) so I got DQed for it. The sensei with us told me what the deal was and I was like "Ahh right, good to know now I guess" but the didn't do 3rd and 4th place so I never got to make the adjustment. In jiu jitsu, if a steamroll situation happens like you said, it would suck if you didn't get a second shot at it.

I've been to both round robin and single elimination tournaments. The round robin ones I've competed in were sub only and the single elimination were all points based. I guess with the chance of a draw in sub only they don't make much sense in an elimination structure.

I prefer the sub only format myself since I'm comfortable off my back and have been playing guard more these days, which can spell disaster in a points match if you don't hit a last minute sweep to get some points for the win. Totally different mindsets for each of them in my experience. Points tourneys can suck because a lot of guys will try to get a take down pass to side get the 5 points and stall out the rest of the match.

http://ibjjf.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RulesIBJJF_v4_en-US.pdf

I'm trying to bone up on the IBJJF rules since I'm competing in one of their tournaments pretty soon.

Depends on the number of competitors in the bracket and/or the size of the tournament. If it's quite small, they might do a repercharge system so everyone gets at least two fights.

Great job, it's an awesome thing to do I did it for 2 years and got my blue belt.

Good thing to remember, tap when you have to.. When I first started I got choked out twice and almost had my arm broken more than once because I was stubborn, full of pride and didn't tap... More than once I got out of those dangerous situations where I should have tapped realistically, but remember... This is just training, getting submitted and tapping is good for you, and your ego, especially when you first start. I got really humbled and it was an awesome experience!!!

• Upvote 1

Just "celebrated" my stripe by rolling with everyone in class back to back. It was horrible and awesome at the same time. I made it to the last person before I had to go puke Lol

I remember I was doing similar shit when we were training grappling - 20 minutes of grappling, after each minute you change partners - just grab anyone nearby without even telling them, the coach shouts minute and you just rush to any guy next to you and you instantly grapple :D That's some mad russian shit right there, the coach yells minute, and already you feel someone hopping on your back :D

EDIT: We also had to count the times we won - the first one to do a submission wins, then you continue grappling until the next minute. 3 guys with lowest points at the end of 20 minutes do push ups :D This kind of training developed that killer instinct for us, we look for submission as soon as we hit the ground :)