Optional Primary's

Rambo

Selective Primary's or not?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

the only issue have have with it is that Kickboxing/Muay Thai distinction...i understand you have to do things for the balance of the game, but aside from hands, how is a kickboxer (im assuming American Kickboxing style) gonna have any advantage over Muay Thai? it would seem like MT would be unbalanced (at least in real life)...they'd have better clinch, knees, elbows and possibly throws (clinch throws and whatnot). do kickboxers really have better balance than MT guys? kickboxing just seems like a limited form of Muay Thai rules, where you could at least make a good argument for the other opposing combos being fairly equal.

• Upvote 1

the only issue have have with it is that Kickboxing/Muay Thai distinction...i understand you have to do things for the balance of the game, but aside from hands, how is a kickboxer (im assuming American Kickboxing style) gonna have any advantage over Muay Thai? it would seem like MT would be unbalanced (at least in real life)...they'd have better clinch, knees, elbows and possibly throws (clinch throws and whatnot). do kickboxers really have better balance than MT guys? kickboxing just seems like a limited form of Muay Thai rules, where you could at least make a good argument for the other opposing combos being fairly equal.

Maybe Boxing / Russian Fist Fighting (not sure what would be the difference) + Karate / MT?

Without kickboxing, some other kind of fight would be needed.

Where in my post did you see me saying kickboxing has an advantage over muay thai? I said muay thai would have a better clinch game than kickboxing so who exactly you replying to?

actually, somebody else suggested it, and I revived what they said with this thread. I think it's a great idea still. You don't even need to add the bonus's or minus's percentages if it'd be too complicated. Like the OP originally said, was it would be more to add flavor to the game and make every fighter seem a little different than the other.

neither one of the primary's would have an advantage over the other primary, each primary would have it's own small benefits. I don't see why you couldn't have Muay thai/kick boxing in the same catagory. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Actually Karate and boxing as similar arts bothers me more than Kickboxing / Muay Thai.

It ends up being 3 similar arts (kickboxing, karate, muay thai) and boxing left alone.

I'd rather have 2 real punch-only fighting style + 2 broader ones.

I am not saying the system I posted was perfect, but the concept or idea I believe is. You could go Boxing / Brawler or Boxing / Kickboxing or Muay Thai / Karate or Muay Thai / Kickboxing maybe other options.

Trapping doesn't work beyond standard boxing parries etc. No need for it when you have clinchwork.

American kickboxers\K-1 style kickboxers generally have much better hands and footwork than pure Thai guys, for what that's worth. Would probably give them better kicks too for game balance though.

Why not do Boxing/Kickboxing and Muay Thai/Karate if you want a different option. Kickboxing and Muay Thai are different enough to do it this way so your K1 fighter could have Kickboxing/MT and though his punches may not be as good as a Boxer/MT guy his kicking would be superior

Why not do Boxing/Kickboxing and Muay Thai/Karate if you want a different option. Kickboxing and Muay Thai are different enough to do it this way so your K1 fighter could have Kickboxing/MT and though his punches may not be as good as a Boxer/MT guy his kicking would be superior

I like that idea, it makes sense.

As for the bonus's and advantages each primary gives you, I think all that could get programmed later. Just give the ability to choose optional primary's & implement the bonus's or negatives later if that works out. But I think the 4 additional optional primary's, much like aptitude, wouldn't be overly complicated. And it should be simple; Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai/Karate/Wrestling/Judo/BJJ/Sambo --- you don't need trapping, or akido, or wing chun or any of that random wild stuff you hear a fighter mention every now and then. Stick to the basics (well we are already sticking to the basics, but the addition of the I mentioned aren't overboard)

• Upvote 1

<!--quoteo(post=234230:date=Jan 14 2011, 02:20 PM:name=DeadlyDirk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeadlyDirk @ Jan 14 2011, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need Savate!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we don't get to wear magic submission spats into the cage, there's no way boots should be permitted.

I'm all for minor variations in Primaries...

but please no, I hope someone didn't start talking about equipment like that. The people who make Goalline Blitz and the basketball sim they have are just stupid with that stuff. A headband that makes you faster, gloves that make you stronger... gay, go play WOW or Everquest if you want to twink out a fighter with gear. Yikes.

• 1 year later...

adding penalties to choosing styles would be too complicated imo. the disadvantages of specializing are that u cannot specialize in the thing that u aren't getting the bonus on. does that make sense? lol

like u choose judo and get the clinch takedown advantage and the disadvantage to that is that u will never be as good at shoot takedowns as a wrestling specialized person. good stuff.

its a good idea i admit.

I'd like to add that Tarmo Heiskanen deserves all the credit in the tycoon world for coming up with this. He's a genius and an innovator. This is the best improvement suggestion that I could recall in the history of being here. We need to lobby for this, and let Mike figure out the percentages/equations if they're ever added. It seems fairly simple in terms of primaries alone without the mathmatics scheme of what stat advantages it should offer.

• Upvote 1

+1. I definitely would love to see something along these lines put into place. I'm not all too sure about all the numbers as I didn't look into full detail at all 4 pages. Lol. But from what I'm reading the 4 variations with primaries would be fun to play with.

My opinion would be to just have a small skill boost towards those skills suggested at the beginning. It just seems the simplest to me, but if Mike thought it was just as easy to have the percentage bonuses as well, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Whatever is easier on Mike and gets this implemented is my favorite idea.

+1. I definitely would love to see something along these lines put into place. I'm not all too sure about all the numbers as I didn't look into full detail at all 4 pages. Lol. But from what I'm reading the 4 variations with primaries would be fun to play with.

My opinion would be to just have a small skill boost towards those skills suggested at the beginning. It just seems the simplest to me, but if Mike thought it was just as easy to have the percentage bonuses as well, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Whatever is easier on Mike and gets this implemented is my favorite idea.

Yeah I wouldn't even care if he added the small boost, that's something he could get to later, but the optional primary would add a lot of flavor to the game.

I think this would be an awesome idea if it could be pulled off. I have to admit that I didn't read all four pages, so someone may have already brought this up. For the standing aspects of the game, the proposal is very easy to implement. However, for BJJ, It is my understanding that different submissions are merely flavor text. Whether you get an armbar or a kimura, it is all just "submission" in the fight engine. To account for this, instead of dividing into BJJ and Sambo (chokes vs leglocks), perhaps it would be better to divide into GNP vs BJJ.

I think this would be an awesome idea if it could be pulled off. I have to admit that I didn't read all four pages, so someone may have already brought this up. For the standing aspects of the game, the proposal is very easy to implement. However, for BJJ, It is my understanding that different submissions are merely flavor text. Whether you get an armbar or a kimura, it is all just "submission" in the fight engine. To account for this, instead of dividing into BJJ and Sambo (chokes vs leglocks), perhaps it would be better to divide into GNP vs BJJ.

I agree with the BJJ aspect. Maybe submissions, and defensive grappling? Or subs vs GNP.

Either way, regardless of statistical influence, I think the optional primaries, even if they were just flavor, would be fuckin awesome by itself. Eventually you could implement text that would occur more frequently with certain styles. That would help with the Sambo/BJJ thing in terms of the submissions they got or attempted. Same goes with the striking.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

One more "Yes" vote, with both hands.

Would love to have a sambo-based fighter.

Wanted to add that Sambo is a lot more than leg locks; I think if one was to try to summarize Sambo in one word it would be "throws". Although not as exclusive as Judo, I think most of it is jockeying for position while standing, striking, throwing, with ground work being secondary.

I think Sambo would be much closer compared to Judo than BJJ, as there is emphasis on stand-up techniques and throws. BJJ's takedowns are fairly weak compared to Sambo/Judo; most of rolling begins from sitting/squatting/kneeling and takedowns are limited to trips and pulling guard. Sambo throws were derived from Judo and remain one of the prime characteristics that define Sambo.

Maybe one could have a choice between wrestling/Judo/Sambo.

Then one could have a choice between BJJ and classic Japanese Jujutsu (which is closer to Sambo than BJJ is).

With the recent interest in making fighters more varied, the following could be considered. Similarly to how managers are checking three boxes for hiddens when creating a fighters, there could be an addition of selecting "top primary", "secondary primary", "third primary", "fourth primary" from one of the primaries, be it current 4, or more with additions.

Let's say top primary with its associated secondaries has a potential of reaching 100%, then the 2nd primary with its secondaries/physicals has a potential of reaching 80%, the 3rd- 50%, 4th- 25%. These percentages could be adjusted.

This would provide the game with more realistic fighters.

As far as adding primaries--I think it would be cool to have some primaries affect secondaries. For instance, if one selects his fighter to be primarily a Karateka (Machida), the associated secondaries/physicals would include speed, agility, flexibility, kicks. On the other hand strength, punching, GnP could be limited in their potential.

Then the fighter could be rounded up by adding a limited 2nd primary, and lesser 3rd, and the minuscule 4th. This way there won't be any quadruple, or even triple Elite fighters.

Take a look at current UFC champs, none of them would be triple elite in anything. With the imposed limitations we could have our Aldos with insane Muay Thai and great TDD, Cains with his wrestling and striking, Maias with BJJ, GSPs with wrestling and striking, etc.

Other styles could be:

Sambo, with strong clinch transtions, takedowns from the clinch, balance, decent kicks and punches, with suspect TDD, GnP, and clinch striking.

Jujutsu- basically same as Sambo, with some better flexibility, or some other small variations.

Judo would bring balance, transitions, submissions, etc.

There are a ton of variations, and all the pros and cons of each style could be weighed. This could be simplified, of course.

• Downvote 1

With the recent interest in making fighters more varied, the following could be considered. Similarly to how managers are checking three boxes for hiddens when creating a fighters, there could be an addition of selecting "top primary", "secondary primary", "third primary", "fourth primary" from one of the primaries, be it current 4, or more with additions.

Let's say top primary with its associated secondaries has a potential of reaching 100%, then the 2nd primary with its secondaries/physicals has a potential of reaching 80%, the 3rd- 50%, 4th- 25%. These percentages could be adjusted.

This would provide the game with more realistic fighters.

As far as adding primaries--I think it would be cool to have some primaries affect secondaries. For instance, if one selects his fighter to be primarily a Karateka (Machida), the associated secondaries/physicals would include speed, agility, flexibility, kicks. On the other hand strength, punching, GnP could be limited in their potential.

Then the fighter could be rounded up by adding a limited 2nd primary, and lesser 3rd, and the minuscule 4th. This way there won't be any quadruple, or even triple Elite fighters.

Take a look at current UFC champs, none of them would be triple elite in anything. With the imposed limitations we could have our Aldos with insane Muay Thai and great TDD, Cains with his wrestling and striking, Maias with BJJ, GSPs with wrestling and striking, etc.

Other styles could be:

Sambo, with strong clinch transtions, takedowns from the clinch, balance, decent kicks and punches, with suspect TDD, GnP, and clinch striking.

Jujutsu- basically same as Sambo, with some better flexibility, or some other small variations.

Judo would bring balance, transitions, submissions, etc.

There are a ton of variations, and all the pros and cons of each style could be weighed. This could be simplified, of course.

I think keeping it simple is important. Ignore the OP post, and let's just go with optional primaries.

Boxing / Kick Boxing

Muay Thai / Karate

Wrestling / Judo

BJJ / Sambo

It's THAT simple.

If you want to complicate it, complicate it in a very simple way. The % is just a random variable. Could be +5 points in the allocated skill. +1 point in the skill. The truth is that the optional primary appearance is far more important than the % and bonuses you could implement with it.

Boxing: + 1% punches

Kick Boxing: + 1% Kicks

Muay Thai: + 1% knees + 1% elbows + 1% clinch

Karate: +1% striking defense

Wrestling: +1% GNP +1% TD

Judo: +1% TD +1% clinch

BJJ: +1% subs

Sambo: +1% transitions

I don't know. The %'s aren't nearly as important as the optional primary aspect and the potential flavor text that could come with it.

Personally I like the idea of wrestling having advantage in takedowns from outside while judo has takedowns from the clinch. But it seems like it'd be much easier to program if you add a micro decimal percentage increase in a specific stat(s). Maybe that stat becomes easier to train. I don't know. As I said above, I'd be happy with the option of selecting primaries.

• Upvote 2