The Official Road to the Olympics Discussion Thread (Important: Read 1st Post!)

So the other day I was taking a very long dump and came up with an amazing idea.

Bringing back the Olympics.

Now, after the TAG TEAM tournament that came to a halt 24 hours before the events it was obvious bringing back the Olympics would be a challenge.

But as always, I have a solution. Brought the idea to Mike yesterday and he is open to discussion. I would like to involve the community but after the last debacle when we appointed a team of 10 to propose game improvements that won`t work either. So I have come up with some rules of engagement:

IMPORTANT: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:

1- I will approach a team of 3 other managers, the 4 of us will gather all ideas/thougths from this thread and come up with the best course towards making the Olympics happen. The community is open to of course post everything on this thread but in the end The Coallision will take the best ideas and I will bring them forward to Mike Tycoon. I will try to choose a team of positive, engaged, tenured and unbiased managers. With the recent influx of super star managers coming back this part should be the easiest.

I will ask the moderator team to please help me clean up some posts when stuff gets heated, for it will. Such is the way of porgress.

2- Please understand not all ideas will go through; I really need to make this very easy to understand for Mike and most important super easy to implement. If you have nothing good to say please keep this thread clean and your negative thoughts to yourself.

3- We are going to be testing these Olympics first, to gage: engagement, best practices as well as the reception amongst the community.

So like I said, steps have already been taken to pick Mike`s interest and that first goal accomplished. I will post below how far I am on the process. Please bear with me, I had to make some stuff up myself so my first draft might not be the best but Mike is 100% willing to discuss so that already is a big win in my humble opinion.

cbc-sports-road-to-the-olympics-graphic-

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

MEMBERS OF THE COALITION:

1- Ibrahim Camara

2- Mentor Guru Corleone

3- Bjorn

4- asked Duphus

Mike Tycoon`s Questions & Answers from the Coalition:

1- 340k Olympics: How many fighters are we talking about? (June 16th) - Answer: TBD

TIMELINES / IMPORTANT DATES:

June 13th: Idea is born while in the toilet

June 15th: Email original idea to Mike Tycoon

June 16th: Mike is open to discussion, email from Mike received with some questions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ok, let`s start at the beginning, the below is the original email I sent Mike. Again this is not perfect but we had to start somewhere:

Subject : Olympics (340k)
Hi Mike,

There have been a lot of talk about bringing the Olympics back but with so few High end orgs it becomes basically impossible to host. Although we do appreciate the new super fight system and it is being used it is still a ton of work for orgs and in the end they wont put up w the logistics.

I have an idea though , to show them it`s doable, and I believe it is an easy implementation.

I would like to test it with the 340k bracket, would love to host it at FARTMMA if you want.

1- Every 4 Tycoon years, with your help we would like to implement the Olympics.

2- It would be, like TWGC a daily tournament until there is 1 man standing. Fighter gets 100% energy back immediately after fightso ready to fight the next day.

3- We would need your help to invite the top XX fighters of each bracket.

With your permission, can I start a thread to finilize the details? (like, fighters must accept/decline attending like on Island, and involve the org owners so we all agree on the best way to allow these fighters without messing up titles)

I can gather all the stuff, trust me it won`t be complicated at all I`m not putting together a 10-man team of idiots to fight each other I work efficiently.

Please please, can we consider this if I get everyone to agree and make this easy ?

Coalition*

Also, adjust your timeline - http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63983&hl

Right, now that's out the way (sorry, I can't help myself).

Instead of running it in someones org how difficult would it be to set it up to run TWGC style? Independent of the need to use a players org.

We could have qualifiers set up in each city if enough people interested. This way you still have the chance of some "underdogs" making it to the Olympics instead of just the top echelon of managers.

Mass mail sent out by Mike letting everyone know when qualifying sign ups are about to start etc.

I think the idea is great and would def want to see the Olympics make a return.

• Upvote 4

Coalition*

Also, adjust your timeline - http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63983&hl

Instead of running it in someones org how difficult would it be to set it up to run TWGC style? Independent of the need to use a players org.

We could have qualifiers set up in each city if enough people interested. This way you still have the chance of some "underdogs" making it to the Olympics instead of just the top echelon of managers.

Mass mail sent out by Mike letting everyone know when qualifying sign ups are about to start etc.

Oh it would be open to everybody, like the Island end of season tourney, the idea is to have the managers check a box like in the Island accepting to join the Olympics that year.

My idea was to honestly have GAMMA host it (the real, no ID Olympics) as a tribute to their 10 years going strong. I think it would make for some fantastic PPVs !

But yeah I totally get it will probably be easier to just host it in an alternate universe like the Island End of Season tourney runs. ** We will have the Coalition decide **

I have sent an email to some key players to see if they would like to join the Coalition.

I have also updated the second post with Mike`s questions regarding the 340k Road to the Olympics.

Oh it would be open to everybody, like the Island end of season tourney, the idea is to have the managers check a box like in the Island accepting to join the Olympics that year.

My idea was to honestly have GAMMA host it (the real, no ID Olympics) as a tribute to their 10 years going strong. I think it would make for some fantastic PPVs !

But yeah I totally get it will probably be easier to just host it in an alternate universe like the Island End of Season tourney runs. ** We will have the Coalition decide **

I have sent an email to some key players to see if they would like to join the Coalition.

I have also updated the second post with Mike`s questions regarding the 340k Road to the Olympics.

If we can't do it TWGC style I'm kinda liking the idea of maybe running qualifiers in smaller orgs rolling up into doing the main thing at one/some of the big orgs. This of course is massively dependent on people staying interested and in the game which as we know can prove difficult

1- Ibrahim Camara

2-

3-

4-

1- 340k Olympics: How many fighters are we talking about? (June 16th) - Answer: TBD

June 16th: Mike is open to discussion, email from Mike received with some questions.

#add me here for this

• Upvote 1

My suggestion is:

We should have a special TWGC format, setup once twice per year, one will take place first week of December and the other the first week of June. People in game will get an email telling they about this, about 2 weeks in advance, so they can apply during that 2 week period.

Both events will have 16 participants. The highest ranking fighters which apply will automatically get added to the tournament.

The June event will be for fighters under 25y old (or possibly under 25y old because that makes sense from a gameplay point of view), the winter Olympics will be open age, so the highest ranking get in. We could have the under 25y old Olympics, 2 times per year.

The event will start on a Monday and end on Sunday that week. (So the event days are Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday), so it lasts just one week.

Any injuries + energy loss prior and after the event, get removed, so they will be going into the event with full energy.

The lowest rank will face the highest rank, so seeding will be based on rank

Rank loss from losses in the Olympics will be removed (so you cannot lose ranking at all) this will help in the case where a #16 ranked guy goes up against the #1 guy who is 1000 places above him, but pulls off a fluke win). (NOTE: This is important!!! Last thing i want is sending my champs to compete and losing to some fluke decision or something).

If a fighter us under contract with an org, the org owner will need to tick the box to allow the fighter to compete (the same way TGWC works now).

The biggest issue i see is the prize money. In the previous Olympics, the org owners added the cash. I guess we could have donations, but not sure how much will be accumulated with that. I guess Mike could add a cash pool. Anyway, that is not a huge issues because fighters have little to lose (they do not lose hype), they can only gain hype and the org owners do not lose much either because their fighters will be away for just 1 week, it is worth the risk for such a tourney.

In general, if we get this programmed, it would be good if we could have such a feature for orgs to use. 1 week tourney's they can run, 1 time per year, where there is no loss in hype, but that is another thing.

• Upvote 5

Mentor , amazing post. I do however agree with Alex on the Hype issue. Allow me to elaborate:

In real life when an athlete gets called to the Olympics it trascends his team (in our case the org he fights for). Lots of athletes take a risk (or not) to lose on marketeability (think Gareth Bale with Wales, they good but not that good). On the other hand lots of athletes use the Olympics, Euro Cup, etc. to catapult them to better contracts and stuff.

I think it`s a risk worth taking.

And yes I agree the org owner should still tick the box if the fighter is signed. Like I suppose happens in real life.

I`m not sure if it`s worth doing this for under 25 year olds (and twice a year). The only reason we are running a test drive at 340k is to see how many people are happy vs pissed off. After that it`s a once a year event (every 4 years Tycoon) with the top athletes in the world.

Mike is open to discuss programming the entire thing so I think the most basic we build it (in Year 1) the better. We test 1 Event at 340k at the end of summer and if succesful we do the real Olympics in December.

For his first question (How many fighters are we talking about? ) For 340k the answer is super easy: 16 per division (135 to 265+) for Open ID 16 sounds good too as you suggested.

1- Ibrahim Camara

2- Mentor Guru Corleone

3- Bjorn

4- asked Duphus

Totally ignored my offer man I see how it is, I am the voice of the voiceless I am the pokemon, I am Raichu lol

lol Raichu I had already emailed all those guys, myself I`m getting bumped if more seasoned managers come aboard lol

But we all participate equally on this discussion it`s just that more than 3-4 decision makers failed last time and we need to move while we have Mike`s undivided attention.

do you think 16 is a good number to answer Mike?

Coalition*

I've been saying this from the moment Olympics were implemented.

What's the point of having a tournament that big if there won't be any hype on the table? I agree with everything else from the above post.

Lets put it this way, i participated in such tournaments and the truth is, i lose hype from running them. Why?

I end up sending my top guys to a tournament and stacking those fighters in events, this means my own events end up being WAY thinner and lacking the talent to run legitimate PPV events. I end up losing a few millions during these tourneys. These could help benefit smaller orgs (we used to have 8 orgs, usually the last 3-4 orgs were poor quality).

Besides that, the whole division is stagnated because the title are not being defended (Conor Mcgregor situation).

I rather having the Olympics over and done with, as soon as possible. If Mike is willing to have the whole tourney run over 1 week, with no loss of hype and no injuries, then great, the regular format is a pain in the ass though.

Also, running it in one org is unacceptable for all the other orgs, i think that idea should be off the table straight away.

• Upvote 2

For his first question (How many fighters are we talking about? ) For 340k the answer is super easy: 16 per division (135 to 265+) for Open ID 16 sounds good too as you suggested.

If you ask me, i rather have the top 8 highest ranking to sign up. We want to essentially eliminate the lower quality applications totally if possible. This is not one of those tourney's we want to see low quality upsets (lets not forget, the orgs involved are also risking their hype and their fighters hype, at least lets risk it against similar ranking fighters). The original Olympics had just 8 fighters as well. If we have just 8 fighters, we can do the 1/8 on Monday, 1/4 on Wednesday and on Friday the Bronze/Silver/Gold Medals.

Note: Fighters will be allowed to compete on that weekend as usual if they are booked because all injuries / energy loss will be removed.

I 100% think that hype loss should be removed from this + all injuries and energy loss. If you win a fight, you gain hype, you do not earn any money, but you will receive a trophy even if you simply participate (you get a 1/8 trophy). The whole point of this tourney is to have an end of the year best of the best with limited risk. If there is limited risk, have a "Summer Olympics" would also be fine (mid June).

• Upvote 3

If you ask me, i rather have the top 8 highest ranking to sign up. We want to essentially eliminate the lower quality applications totally if possible. This is not one of those tourney's we want to see low quality upsets (lets not forget, the orgs involved are also risking their hype and their fighters hype, at least lets risk it against similar ranking fighters). The original Olympics had just 8 fighters as well. If we have just 8 fighters, we can do the 1/8 on Monday, 1/4 on Wednesday and on Friday the Bronze/Silver/Gold Medals.

Note: Fighters will be allowed to compete on that weekend as usual if they are booked because all injuries / energy loss will be removed.

I 100% think that hype loss should be removed from this + all injuries and energy loss. If you win a fight, you gain hype, you do not earn any money, but you will receive a trophy even if you simply participate (you get a 1/8 trophy). The whole point of this tourney is to have an end of the year best of the best with limited risk. If there is limited risk, have a "Summer Olympics" would also be fine (mid June).

I am 100% in agreement with Mentor on all he says here. Spot on.

• Upvote 1

Ok more info from Mike about The Road to the Olympics:

" Resetting energy wouldn't be a big problem cos I can write a script to do that. But it would have to take part in an org someone was running, because I'm not going to manually set all the fights. "

Perfect. So Mike is defo willing to work with us :) Mentor back to my original question from that other thread: Wanna host the Olympics in GAMMA ?

In the mean time I`m gonna try testing this in the 340k bracket right?

:winner:

The problem with hosting it in an existing org such as GAMMA is going to be the layout that you are looking at. Getting it over and done with in the week and going for the Monday, Wednesday, Friday cards has a number of issues attached to it. Is it all 8 divisions that will be having it’s own Olympic bracket? If so that would be 32 quarter final fights to organise which is a minimum of 4 events. Also, having extra events in the week would mess with his numbers which I’m guessing he wouldn’t want to do. I’m sure there are ways around these things but I’m also sure they would be a bit of a headache for folk. I can’t speak for anyone obviously but I’m just throwing out there the things that would have put me off.

• Upvote 3

Just an idea, but what about one org that is specifically for the olympics and does not run any other events during the year?

I would be willing to do that with NY Fight Nights.
I could change the name, logos etc to new 'olympics'-graphics and make it the home of the MMA Tycoon Olympics.

Any possible profit could be handed out after the Olympics to the noob fund for example, as I have no interest in making any money from it.

• Upvote 7

Just an idea, but what about one org that is specifically for the olympics and does not run any other events during the year?

I would be willing to do that with NY Fight Nights.

I could change the name, logos etc to new 'olympics'-graphics and make it the home of the MMA Tycoon Olympics.

Any possible profit could be handed out after the Olympics to the noob fund for example, as I have no interest in making any money from it.

Much better idea imo, it should definitely be held under an independent promotion

• Upvote 1