Kenny Florian?

Ikkitakeda

Am I the only person that always thought Kenny Florian was underrated? I mean the guy did fight at 4 different weight classes and won fights in all 4. To me that proves he was great, but he always got so much flack for not winning a belt. A large part of that had to do with his lack of wrestling. Wrestling was the only thing that kept him from being a complete fighter in my opinion. Sort of like Frank Mir great striker and we all know great bjj. Florian very similar to Mir, except he had savage elbows. Also during a time when 155 the strikers weren't knocking people and all the pure wrestlers were just laying on top of people he was about the only guy finishing fights at 155.

Conir fought in 3 wc’s and also boxing

Connor fought a career 155er at 170, I really wouldn't call it 3 weight classes. Also not 4 and the boxing match was a joke. It looked pretty bad and if you are going to quote fight metrics from the fight to me don't bother. 60+% of the shots he landed that they counted were illegal blows. While not taking points away from the ref that is why there was so many break ups by the ref.

His best two wins are Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida. So I definitely dont think he's underrated. I'd probably lean towards overrated as I think his exposure on TUF and in the booth make people remember him a little more sympathetically then his performances merit.

And what about Lauzon Huerta Thomas Gomi Nunes?

Not really. Two guys well past there prime, a top 15 lw at best journey man, and two guys who were never very good in the UFC. Stevenson and Guida are far better wins then those guys.

But you have to look at where the those guys were at the time. Like take a look at all those hall of famers. The ones that have comeback to see if they still have it don't. Not because they have bad skills or really still don't have it, but because the sport evolves. Like look at one of the all time great Dan Severn he was 101-19 and competed at a time when they would have multiple fights in one night. Something not allowed to do today by the athletic commission. Also while his ground game was as game as just about anybody. He was considered very well rounded back then, but in today's MMA would be considered as a good grappler with bad striking even though he was considered elite everywhere back then. So you can't belittle his wins of beating those guys when at the time were considered top competition.

Isnt that a good competition?

I would say so. Especially having Gomi on there. Florian was his first fight in the UFC after being one of the kings of Pride. Which many thought Gomi would pick back up where he left off in Pride like many thought about most of the guys in Pride. However that just wasn't the case as for most of them. The big difference really between Pride and the UFC at the time is Pride had a lot of good strikers in most weight divisions while the UFC roster had some guys that could strike (not a lot) but had tons of high end wrestlers.

And i mean, diego nunes was a barely top ten guy in a shallow ass division with a preternatural ability to make me fall asleep. Pretty sure he washed out of the,ufc shortly after as well. Gomi was past his best even back in 2009. Huerta was a good win. I fucking love lauzon but his rep at the time was kinda overstated because hed just embarassed jason reinhardt. Hes a good win but not an all time great making name. Din thomas was on his way out at the time as well.

Not really. Two guys well past there prime, a top 15 lw at best journey man, and two guys who were never very good in the UFC. Stevenson and Guida are far better wins then those guys.

Well lets look at some statistics.

Din Thomas - at the time when they did fought he was 23-6 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC at that moment. It was his second run in UFC first time when he was in UFC he left with W over Matt Serra. Well we can consider at that point if he would win Kenny its more than possible that his next fight would be a title fight.

Joe Lauzon - at the point when they did fought he was 16-4 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC.
Roger Huerta - at the point when they did fought he was 20-1 in MMA and 7-0 in UFC. Before he lost to Kenny he was the hottest prospect out there and would 100% get a title shot if he won that fight.
Takanori Gomi - at the point when they did fought he was 31-5 in MMA and 0-0 in UFC it was his first fight in UFC he was coming as a hot prospect from Japan but we all know what happened to him after he faced Kenny.

Diego Nunes - at the point when they did fought he was 16-1 in MMA and 1-0 in UFC. At this point he was not so much know but also a good prospect. One of the guys of course you cant count as a big win for Kenny but still not a bad competition.

• Upvote 2

Well lets look at some statistics.

Din Thomas - at the time when they did fought he was 23-6 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC at that moment. It was his second run in UFC first time when he was in UFC he left with W over Matt Serra. Well we can consider at that point if he would win Kenny its more than possible that his next fight would be a title fight.

Joe Lauzon - at the point when they did fought he was 16-4 in MMA and 3-0 in UFC.
Roger Huerta - at the point when they did fought he was 20-1 in MMA and 7-0 in UFC. Before he lost to Kenny he was the hottest prospect out there and would 100% get a title shot if he won that fight.
Takanori Gomi - at the point when they did fought he was 31-5 in MMA and 0-0 in UFC it was his first fight in UFC he was coming as a hot prospect from Japan but we all know what happened to him after he faced Kenny.

Diego Nunes - at the point when they did fought he was 16-1 in MMA and 1-0 in UFC. At this point he was not so much know but also a good prospect. One of the guys of course you cant count as a big win for Kenny but still not a bad competition.

Exactly my point you have to go by who his competition was then and not who they are now. Like i said earlier if we did this than the "legends" of the sport are terrible. The sport evolves. Case in point Kenny Florian was a great a fighter and never truly got the respect he deserved. More than likely due to never getting a title.