2016-2017 NBA Discussion

Mentor

I totally hate the NBA rules related to cap and so on. One of the worse rules is the minimum cap (in other words you need to pay a minimum amount of money per year), this is another crazy rule. For example, Otto Porter could end up being a max contract player this year. The only reason he is going so high is because some teams need to reach the minimum pay barrier and are more willing to take a risk on someone younger than signing a veteran. Due to the Max roster size rule, some teams cannot simply stack their roster with lower end players to hit the cap, so they have to over pay for someone like Otto just for the sake of it.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have players like Durrant basically earning 6-7 million more, due to the cap on salaries. In other words, mid tier players like Mosgov, Deng are essentially earning just 20-30% below what the All Stars are, so the top tier players are underpaid and the mid tier are over paid. If you compare to (lets say), Football/soccer, a top 10 player in the EPL will earn 10x more than a player who is borderline starter. The main reason being is that he is worth significantly more to the team and there is no cap to the wages.

In the NBA all these stupid caps are creating a disbalance to the whole system. The league is not more competitive due to it (which is the argument in favor of caps), in fact i can argue that these caps have made the league less competitive because now players earn more outside of salaries, so they care much less about the salary itself and simply join the team which allows them to win a title. I think the comissioner needs to totally revamp the whole system, allow for a lot more flexibility in salaries, remove the caps to wages and salary caps on teams, which will allow bigger market teams to pay bigger salaries. It will mean the lower end teams are less likely to be competitive, but they still have the draft and will receive luxury taxes from the bigger teams.

This entire argument flies in the face of all logic. The NBA does need to look into making some changes to balance out the league and discourage super teams, but saying get rid of the cap and pretending that would help distribute talent around the league is ludicrous.

Just be honest and say you are a Laker fan who thinks they should be able to buy their way into title contention every year and leave it at that.

You are right, I am not saying that removing the cap will help distribute the talent, in fact i am saying the opposite. I do not think the NBA should discourage super teams, that is my point. Super teams are what bring interest to the league, who wants to watch a bunch of above average teams? When did we have the most balanced period in NBA history? The 70s, guess what, that was also the dark age of the league, ratings were down and nobody gave a damn. It took the super teams of the Celtics and Lakers in the 80s (and to a certain extent the 76ers) to revive the interest.

What i am saying is that you cannot stop the super teams from being created, the current rules simply benefit NBA owners who are underpaying their employees (ie the players). The only difference is that with the rules we have now, the players end up having all the real power eventually because it all comes down to who is willing to take the biggest pay cut to be competitive.

LeBron, Wade and Bosh all going to Miami together was the beginning of my waning interest in the NBA. I know quite a few people who feel the same way. Both of the forums I read for NBA coverage and discussion have dwindled to about nothing. I read an article that the ratings and attendance have been slipping in recent years (this years finals did well though, I didnt watch a single minute). I think it's horrible business for the NBA to just allow about half or more of it's teams to become farm teams for the big markets and that's what would happen if the cap is removed.

I am not saying totally remove the cap, i was thinking more in line to what we have in Baseball with a luxury cap, compensation (in picks) for loss of FA's etc. I think you have a pretty good level of competition there and the system works fine, especially after the more recent changes to their rules. Sure bigger market teams have an advantage, but at least you do not have the crap we have in the NBA now.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of rumors about Kyrie leaving the Cav's, if he ends up in some mid tier team, this year's NBA will be about as one sided as it gets.

I've seen some trade suggestions where Cleveland gets bledsoe and carmelo in a 3 team trade. If they get something like that for him I think they would close the huge gap the warriors have by a decent amount. I think that would be there best option anything else and the cavs get decimated in 4.

Bledsoe is a a volume shooter and has been struggling the past couple of years, Carmelo is past his prime and is a ball hog, add Rose to that mix and the Cavs has a lot of players who demand a lot of the ball. That said, a team with Rose, Bledsoe and Carmelo added will probably be a better team (on paper) than one with just Irving.

I mean Bledsoe, James, Carmelo, Love, Thompson should be a pretty strong team (a bit too heavy but still), they will have JR Smith, Rose off the bench or a combination of any of those players.

Bledsoe is a a volume shooter and has been struggling the past couple of years, Carmelo is past his prime and is a ball hog, add Rose to that mix and the Cavs has a lot of players who demand a lot of the ball. That said, a team with Rose, Bledsoe and Carmelo added will probably be a better team (on paper) than one with just Irving.

I mean Bledsoe, James, Carmelo, Love, Thompson should be a pretty strong team (a bit too heavy but still), they will have JR Smith, Rose off the bench or a combination of any of those players.

I think they could figure it out, I mean. Lebron is the assist guy on the team anyway since Kyrie is a volume shooter as well except bledsoe gives them far better defense which will come in handy against the warriors. I think all these guys ultimately want to win and that should offset some of the heavy ball dominant natures of these guys, especially when you have Lebron as your leader. This team would have a ton of firepower that I don't think even the warriors could handle.

Adding Melo, Rose and Bledsoe instead of Irving will be an upgrade, at least short term and essentially the Cavs are looking at the short term at the moment anyway.

Yeah lebron is likely just sticking around for this year, one last run with him is all they got. Although it seems like melo wants to go to the rockets. Lebrons probably headed there next year and if he does I'm signing with a team in the eastern conference since that's where the level of competition will be at lol.

I am not sure how they can have a team with Melo, Paul, Harden and Lebron and still be under the salary cap. Especially since Paul, Harden are on big deals, i doubt Lebron will play for minimum cash.

Yeah but a lot can happen in a year, it would be tough but maybe Paul resigns and takes a pay cut, lebron takes a pay cut, and they shed some big contracts like Ryan Anderson who is making like 20 million a year (I like him but damn that's a lot). I don't know how they would do it but I really hope they do, somebody has to make a big move like that to have a chance at derailing this Warriors dynasty. If Paul and Harden play well together this year maybe they go for it, even if they don't get melo just adding Lebron would be huge.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a thunder fan so tbh idc what happens in the east but dang there has been some crazy moves haha.. i just hope the thunder get another big name or something and i hope westbrook signs that deal he has on the table 5 years 207mil... if not him and paul might leave next season smh..

but yea seems like big stars are teaming up with big stars now days making supper teams!! tbh im ok with it beating teams like that is great and if your team is like that then thats great as well so its win win... only the teams losing dont like it but tbh if they were winning they wouldnt care

In today's NBA, it is all about the players. I read an article about Durrant, apparently his salary makes up for only 1/3 (or something close to that) of his total income, in fact most top stars in the NBA it is similar. They make less money outside of the NBA if they are playing on a losing team, so they benefit from taking a pay cut and play on a winning team. Team owners are essentially helpless because of all the cap's and restrictions on salaries, so it comes down to where the players want to play and end of story. We won't see the end of super teams, in fact i think we will see a lot more of them as it goes on, the only way that will change is if they change the structure of the NBA and give more flexibility to the owners, but that wont happen, the owners care more about profits than being competitive.