Preston Patterson

Bleakardor

Fighter Interview: Preston Patterson

J.W. "Hey Preston, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to sit down with me for a few. I'm very glad I had a chance to have this sit down with you as you stunned the world in the HFC tournament when you avenged your loss against Gilchrist and defeated him in the finals to win the tournament. How does it feel knowing that the man that put you on the brink of elimination in the tournament was the man you had to defeat to win the whole thing?"

Patterson "I definitely looked at the big picture of having the same guy beat me twice to block me from my quest to the title. I think that fear and disappointment of losing the first time 100% drove me to train and focus more, I knew I had to lock in and execute a game plan."

J.W. "How did it feel when you felt him tapping out, knowing you had just won the tournament and earned a right to challenge the champ?"

Patterson "It’s not the clean sweep of the tournament I wanted but it made for a much better storyline I will tell you that. I felt vindicated, I felt like I put the whole class on notice and the whole organization for that matter I was the biggest “upset” on that card. My next fight is gonna be the biggest of my life to date, It’s gonna take heavy preparation to defeat the champ but with my team behind me and my God given skill I expect nothing short of victory."

J.W. "So you are still a virtual unknown in the MMA community. Fighters in the HFC know who you are, but you still haven't seem to be one of the more popular fighters with the fans to this point. Does that bother you?"

Patterson "I’ll take success over popularity any day of the week. It doesn’t bother me too much as I know I am a young and new fighter, I’m not a knockout artist so I know my fights don’t have insane finishes. But to say the least I am 18 years old and I am contending for a title so you better hop on the bandwagon now because it only gets better from here."

J.W. "Well let's give a shout out to the fans, what would you like to tell the HFC fans out there, and your fans."

Patterson "I would like to tell the HFC fans that you’re looking at the future of the organization right here. I am a hardworking and determined fighter that’s gonna do what it takes to win. At the end of the day I am everything that this brand represents I’m a hardcore beast that doesn’t give a fuck about your record, age, style or who you beat, when you line up on the other side of the octagon agaisnt me it’s gonna be war. So shout out to the fans, Preston Patterson remember the name!"

J.W. "Why don't you tell us all a little more about yourself outside of the cage, something that maybe the fans aren't aware of that might bring a few more of them on to the P-Pat train?"

Patterson "P-Pat haha I like that kinda has a ring to it, I’m just a grinder from humble beginnings. From Charlotte, North Carolina I am basically the King of The Queen City at this point putting the city on my back and showing out for my people every chance I get. I grew up in a fighting background as my dad is my manager, as you can see his record is a lengthy one but once I turned 18 I knew I was the guy to turn around the legacy of the Patt/Patterson camp. I am a big fan of music and love the fire that competition brings so expect some specific intro music for each fight coming up. I love trash talk so win or lose, I am a guy you're gonna have to shut up, half of the game is mental. "

J.W. "I have no right to give you a nickname, but speaking of nicknames, care to comment on your nickname of "The Punisher"?"

Patterson "The name Punisher just sets the tone and it is what I seek to do to all my opponents. I don’t want to go to decision I want to finish you and leave nothing up for debate. I want to mentally and physically break down my opponents, I am a “show me” kinda guy, If you gonna talk trash to me you better be ready to back that up in the octagon. "

J.W. "So you don't have a fight scheduled and I believe we all agree that after that last big win, we would like to see you back in the cage soon. Is there any fighter you would like to face, perhaps a call-out?"

Patterson "Well personally I am ready to go whenever the offer is ready, Looking across the division and seeing the unbooked fighters

my top 2 to fight next would definitely be either Zack Tack or Peppa Pablono."

J.W. "Due to your tournament win, you have the right to challenge the champ. Do you feel you are ready for that fight yet, or do you want to hold that card in your back pocket for a while?"

Patterson "I am open to fighting the winner of Havoc vs Lima but I am also open to 1 or 2 fight’s in between. If I had to run down a list of fighters that would definitely include the aforementioned Zack Tack, Peppa Pablono but also Corbin Leopold and of course the trilogy fight with Sonny Gilchrist would be awesome. I trust JD and the direction of HFC to put me in the right spots."

J.W. "You are only 18 years old and already have established yourself as a legitimate fighter. How far do you think you can go with this thing? Is this going to be a full time career for you or are you just testing yourself?"

Patterson "I’m full time with this now. I think I’ll be bending arms and putting people to sleep for a long time. I think I am the future face of HFC. These old guys can have their time now but I’m coming whether they like it or not. I am the only person that can stop me from where I want to be."

J.W. "You have been a part of the HFC for a while now, even during the merger when HFC acquired SMASH. Have you enjoyed your experience with the HFC to date? How would you describe your time in HFC?"

Patterson "I have loved my time with HFC and hopefully JD comes with that bag when it’s time to extend haha. I think this is an organization for beasts, young old or in between HFC is gonna put you to the test. If you don’t want to be challenged and you just wanna fight cupcakes your whole career then don’t even think about signing here. It is an "Iron sharpens Iron” organization and I wouldn’t want it any other way."

J.W. "Thank you again Preston for your time, I know you are ready to get back into the gym so you can keep training. Maybe after reading this interview, a new opponent may emerge for you. I hope that after this interview gets released, we'll see some new Punisher shirts in the crowd holding up signs saying they want to have your baby... okay, maybe a little too much.. but good luck to you Preston, I am sure we'll be talking again in the future!"

Patterson "Haha, Thank you for having me!"