Name your favorite People!

Name the people who are an inspiration to you. Not someone who has done something you like but i mean the complete person. They dont have to be perfect. No one is. But someone whose life is an example of what you think people should be like. I have 3 that have always fascinated me and amazed me with their humbleness even with weath and fame they are unfazed and retain their heart of gold. These 3 are people the younger generation doesnt know as much as they should about. All 3 come from nothing and reached greatness and never forgot where they came from and never let fame change their beliefs.

Dolly Parton- Singer and Actress. Parton was born in Sevierville, Tennessee, the fourth of twelve children of Robert Lee Parton, a tobacco farmer, and his wife Avie Lee (née Owens).[6][7] She has described her family as being "dirt poor".[8] She outlined her family's poverty in her early songs "Coat of Many Colors" and "In the Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad)". They lived in a rustic, one-room cabin in Locust Ridge, just north of the Greenbrier Valley, in the Great Smoky Mountains in Sevier County, a predominantly Pentecostal area.

Andy Griffith- Actor in The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock. Griffith was born in Mount Airy, North Carolina, the only child of Carl Lee Griffith and his wife Geneva Nunn.[3] As a baby, Griffith lived with relatives until his parents could afford to buy a home. With neither a crib nor a bed, he slept in dresser drawers for several months. In 1929, when Griffith was three, his father began working as a carpenter and purchased a home in Mount Airy's "blue-collar" southside.

Brian Johnson- Lead Singer of AC/DC. Brian Johnson was born in Dunston, Gateshead, England. He is of English and Italian descent and is the eldest of four siblings. His father, Alan, was a Sergeant Major of the British Army's Durham Light Infantry and a coal miner.

Ok I'll play this game. I assume that you mean celebs. I like Ana Kendrick and Heston Blumenthal. Talented, passionate, hard working, confident yet humble. That's what I like. of course I don't actually know them, but that's the impression I get from them based on the few things that I saw and heard. It's of course much easier to evaluate people on what they've done. I certainly would've made other picks.

Jon Bone Jones- new school mma

Michael Jordan/ Kobe Bryant- basketball gods

Jonathan Davis of Korn/ Corey Taylor of slipknot- sweet sound of music

Kobe Bryant? For an example of a great all around person, you chose a rapist? If this is the quality of character being passed off as a role model, I vote for OJ Simpson or Dustin Diamond.

Kobe Bryant? For an example of a great all around person, you chose a rapist? If this is the quality of character being passed off as a role model, I vote for OJ Simpson or Dustin Diamond.

Kobe didnt rape anybody come on be serious that bitch lied to get money. From wikipedia.

The case was dropped after Bryant's accuser refused to testify in the case.

So she did get it also.

Name the people who are an inspiration to you. Not someone who has done something you like but i mean the complete person. They dont have to be perfect. No one is. But someone whose life is an example of what you think people should be like.

A couple people missed the point. Read: "someone whose life is an example of what you think people should be like" "not someone who has done something you like"

I'd have to think long and hard about this before I give an answer. Sadly I have little faith in the human race anymore especially with all the shootings and stuff goin on these days. Luckily I have kids who remind me everyday why life is so precious! I hope I can raise them to be good people and not lose them to the black hole society has created.

A couple people missed the point. Read: "someone whose life is an example of what you think people should be like" "not someone who has done something you like"

I'd have to think long and hard about this before I give an answer. Sadly I have little faith in the human race anymore especially with all the shootings and stuff goin on these days. Luckily I have kids who remind me everyday why life is so precious! I hope I can raise them to be good people and not lose them to the black hole society has created.

These so called ''shoothings'' ar done by goverment so they can ban the guns and take over the country.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Rivfader is a good one. Sign me up for him as well.

Wonder if he'll adopt us.

Special mentions go out to mr. Crisse for being a ray of light in this world of darkness.

Another person i would add to my list is Carol O'Conner. The actor who played Archie Bunker and the Police Chief on "In the heat of the Night".

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/edith-archie-bunker.jpg#archie%20bunker

"I never heard Archie's kind of talk in my own family. My father was a lawyer and was in partnership with two Jews, who with their families were close to us. There were black families in our circle of friends. My father disliked talk like Archie's—he called it lowbrow."[

"Nothing will give me any peace. I've lost a son. And I'll go to my grave without any peace over that."[

"Get between your kid and drugs, any way you can, if you want to save the kid's life".[

Geoffrey Robertson Q.C.

Mostly known as a human rights lawyer and for his role as creater and and host of the excellent TV show 'Hypotheticals'. He represented Salman Rushdie and various other publications against 'indecency' lawsuits on the basis of the rights to speech and expression and irrelevant of his own personal beliefs of the topics published. He has served on many human rights missions to messed up countries on behalf of Amnesty International and the UNHRC. He has written an excellect history of human rights and is one of few influential and informed people, especially in the field of law, who is willing to say what needs to be said about the failings of the United Nations and provide recommendations for improvements. He is currently representing Julian Assange. He is equally infamous for accusing the Catholic Church and popes by name for protecting paedophiles within the clergy and systematic evasion of justice for crimes within the Church. He challenges the Vatican City's claim to sovereignty and the Pope's immunity from prosecution.

He is my hero and my heroine is:

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Daughter of shrewd military leader and revolutionary who brought independance to Myanmar (Burma) in the aftermath of World War 2 the propaganda campaigns of the military junta who took over the country after her father's assassination which were not dissimilar to China or North Korea in promoting her father as a glorious hero are all that have kept her alive today. Too famous to kill and too influential to be allowed to run free she left her career, education and family (she refused to leave Burma on the knowledge she'd never be allowed back in, as such this is what happened to her children and husband, all English citizens. Her husband died of cancer a few years later, she never saw him again in that time) to promote democracy and freedom from oppression in Myanmar. In 1990 her party the National League for Democracy won 59% of the election and 81% of the seats in parliament despite her being under house arrest prior to and during the election and the ruling threatening any public supporters of the party with death and often following through with this theat. From 1989 to 2010, 15 of 21 years were spent under house arrest. She has been awarded the Congressional Gold Medal by the USA Government, honourary citizenship (4th person ever) by Canada, a Nobel Peace Prize and upon being released from her detention her party went on to claim 43 of 45 seats in the lower house of parliament. She has written some excellent essays on topics pertainin to power and politics, the most notable perhaps being 'Freedom from fear' which hypothesises "It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another person i would add to my list is Carol O'Conner. The actor who played Archie Bunker and the Police Chief on "In the heat of the Night".

"Nothing will give me any peace. I've lost a son. And I'll go to my grave without any peace over that."[

"Get between your kid and drugs, any way you can, if you want to save the kid's life".[

So a terrible father and the man who played the biggest douchebag on television. Great pick.

Geoffrey Robertson Q.C.

Mostly known as a human rights lawyer and for his role as creater and and host of the excellent TV show 'Hypotheticals'. He represented Salman Rushdie and various other publications against 'indecency' lawsuits on the basis of the rights to speech and exp<b></b>ression and irrelevant of his own personal beliefs of the topics published. He has served on many human rights missions to messed up countries on behalf of Amnesty International and the UNHRC. He has written an excellect history of human rights and is one of few influential and informed people, especially in the field of law, who is willing to say what needs to be said about the failings of the United Nations and provide recommendations for improvements. He is currently representing Julian Assange. He is equally infamous for accusing the Catholic Church and popes by name for protecting paedophiles within the clergy and systematic evasion of justice for crimes within the Church. He challenges the Vatican City's claim to sovereignty and the Pope's immunity from prosecution.

He is my hero and my heroine is:

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Daughter of shrewd military leader and revolutionary who brought independance to Myanmar (Burma) in the aftermath of World War 2 the propaganda campaigns of the military junta who took over the country after her father's assassination which were not dissimilar to China or North Korea in promoting her father as a glorious hero are all that have kept her alive today. Too famous to kill and too influential to be allowed to run free she left her career, education and family (she refused to leave Burma on the knowledge she'd never be allowed back in, as such this is what happened to her children and husband, all English citizens. Her husband died of cancer a few years later, she never saw him again in that time) to promote democracy and freedom from oppression in Myanmar. In 1990 her party the National League for Democracy won 59% of the election and 81% of the seats in parliament despite her being under house arrest prior to and during the election and the ruling threatening any public supporters of the party with death and often following through with this theat. From 1989 to 2010, 15 of 21 years were spent under house arrest. She has been awarded the Congressional Gold Medal by the USA Government, honourary citizenship (4th person ever) by Canada, a Nobel Peace Prize and upon being released from her detention her party went on to claim 43 of 45 seats in the lower house of parliament. She has written some excellent essays on topics pertainin to power and politics, the most notable perhaps being 'Freedom from fear' which hypothesises "It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it."

Excellent choices, especially for a heroine. The opposite of BrainSmasher's choices, who despite having started the thread (probably the most sensible post of his I've read) are downright bizarre.

I'll throw in a couple of deceased men who made a great impact during their lives.

Martin Luther King - hopefully no explanation required.

William Wilberforce - most famously led the movement for the abolition of the slave trade, which was greatly contested at the time.

Excellent choices, especially for a heroine. The opposite of BrainSmasher's choices, who despite having started the thread (probably the most sensible post of his I've read) are downright bizarre.

I'll throw in a couple of deceased men who made a great impact during their lives.

Martin Luther King - hopefully no explanation required.

William Wilberforce - most famously led the movement for the abolition of the slave trade, which was greatly contested at the time.

What is so bizaarre about my choices? I picked people i admire due to their ability to stay grounded when all other celebrities go to hell morally. They were able to inspire people in "character" and out. I didnt want to limit others picks but i was just choosing from entertainers. Im not claiming they did what MLK Jr did for example.

I put down a couple of my favorite athletes:

Larry Bird - Barely no natural gifts outside of some height and intelligence for the game. Earned everything through hard work, even after he 'made it' Spent hours before and after practice, just him and a ball boy, shooting free throws and 3 pointers. Overlooked by the generation of fans that followed, his list of accomplishments both on the court and as a coach / executive are too long to list.

Roberto 'Cyborg' Abreu He began his BJJ career typically by losing a fight to a smaller friend who used it and immediately wanted to learn it. Within 2 weeks he entered and won his first competition. Unlike a lot of fighters named 'Cyborg,' he actually is one. in 2000, he was in a bad car accident that destroyed his Ieft arm. Completely shattered it. He had 300+ stitches and he still has bits of glass in it to this day. They said he'll probably never be able to move the arm again. FOUR MONTHS LATER, he entered his first major tournament, the Brazilian Nationals, and took 2nd.

He's always innovating, his trademark 'tornado guard' is truly a game changer. I met and trained with him last year, and he's really good guy. Spent a couple extra days with us after his seminar to sight-see and still made time to roll with us at no extra cost. I also like how he his mindful of the business aspect, promoting his gym and brand, traveling, doing seminars all over while still competing, even when on the road. Despite this, he doesn't play the gym politics that has become so common in BJJ and MMA. Anyone from any camp is welcome.