I Guess This Means No More Big John for UFC Events

kenlow73

'BIG' JOHN MCCARTHY TO JOIN BELLATOR BROADCAST TEAM
January 9, 2018
LOS ANGELES Bellator is pleased to announce that it has come to an agreement with John McCarthy to serve as color commentator during broadcasts on the soon-to-launch Paramount Network, which kicks off with Bellator 192 on Saturday, January 20.

"With the addition of 'Big' John to our broadcast team, we have put together the premier group of MMA commentators ahead of our Jan. 20 debut on the Paramount Network," Bellator President Scott Coker said. "With John and Chael providing analysis, you're getting two people who have spent more time in the cage than they have spent with a headset on, and that will translate to a positive viewing experience for Bellator fans."

Over the past 20 years, "Big" John McCarthy has set the bar when it comes to officiating in MMA, a sport where he has overseen countless fights promoted by Bellator and other promotions all over the world, serving as the referee for some of the biggest bouts in the history of the sport. A former Los Angeles Police Officer, and a Self-Defense Instructor at the Los Angeles Police Academy, McCarthy is also the founder of "C.O.M.M.A.N.D.," a program that trains and certifies hopeful MMA referees and judges. McCarthy's regulatory work is equally as impressive, as he was a key figure in the writing of the sport's Unified Rules, which are recognized by the ABC and athletic commissions all across North America.

Along with his broadcasting duties, the man behind the catchphrase "Let's get it on!" will also provide a unique level of first-hand insight to the plethora of original content produced by Bellator's digital team.

"I first want to say how grateful I am for the opportunity I have been given to work with the incredible team Bellator has assembled. It is always so hard to leave something you love, but I have always wanted to step away based on my terms rather than someone else's. My goals are to work as hard as I can to meet the expectations everyone will have for me and to hopefully someday exceed them." McCarthy said. "I cannot think of anyone I would rather be working with than Scott Coker. Scott has always been a person I admire because of his honesty, loyalty and love for the martial arts. I want to thank everyone from Bellator and Viacom for the trust you are bestowing upon me to keep the commentating of Bellator MMA at the highest levels of the sport."

In addition, Chael Sonnen has signed an extension to remain a part of select Bellator broadcasts, breaking down all the action alongside Bellator announcers Mike Goldberg and Mauro Ranallo.

Chael Sonnen spent a majority of his 44-fight career with the UFC and WEC, a run that saw him defeat former middleweight champion Michael Bisping, and compete against the likes of Jon Jones, Anderson Silva (twice), Rashad Evans, "Shogun" Rua, Demian Maia and Brian Stann. In addition to his in-ring action, the West Linn, Ore. native has mastered the art of being in front of the camera, having done broadcast work for both ESPN and Fox Sports. Following a three-year hiatus from active MMA competition, Sonnen returned to the cage against Tito Ortiz at Bellator 170 in January and then went on to defeat Wanderlei Silva during the main event of Bellator: NYC.

Bellator and the soon-to-launch Paramount Network open 2018 with a bang when Bellator 192: Lima vs. MacDonald emanates from The Forum in California on Jan. 20. Anchored by a welterweight world title fight featuring Douglas Lima defending his championship against Rory MacDonald, the blockbuster event also will see the aforementioned Chael Sonnen compete against "Rampage" Jackson in the opening contest of 2018's Bellator Heavyweight World Grand Prix.

About Bellator:
Bellator is a leading mixed martial arts and kickboxing organization featuring many of the best fighters in the world. Under the direction of veteran fight promoter Scott Coker, Bellator is available to nearly 1 billion people worldwide in over 160 countries. In the United States, Bellator can be seen on Paramount Network (formerly Spike), the combat sports television leader. Bellator is comprised of an executive team that includes top industry professionals in television production, live event orchestration, fighter development/relations, venue procurement, sponsorship creation/development, international licensing, marketing, advertising, publicity and commission relations. Bellator is based in Hollywood, Calif. and owned by entertainment giant Viacom, home to the world's premier entertainment brands that connect with audiences through compelling content across television, motion picture, online and mobile platforms.

About Paramount Network:
Paramount Network is a premium entertainment destination that pushes the limits of story-telling with bold original scripted and non-scripted series. Inspired by over a century of cinema, Paramount Network is where today's brightest stars bring the experience of the big screen to every screen with stories that are immersive, inclusive, and deeply personal.

This should in no way preclude him from officiating UFC fights. The referees are not hired by the promotions. I'm not sure who DOES hire them, but they could judge for UFC one fight then Belletor for another and so on. All this means is that he will be doing color commentary for Belletor. That is likely to be an exclusive type deal, but being a ref is not.

This should in no way preclude him from officiating UFC fights. The referees are not hired by the promotions. I'm not sure who DOES hire them, but they could judge for UFC one fight then Belletor for another and so on. All this means is that he will be doing color commentary for Belletor. That is likely to be an exclusive type deal, but being a ref is not.

The gaming commisions hire them but he said in another article that he's not reffing MMA anymore maybe just boxing.

I've never heard him commentate. He does have an incredible amount of knowledge, but how does it pass it on to the viewer? Will be interesting to see.

He does do a podcast.

I've never heard him commentate. He does have an incredible amount of knowledge, but how does it pass it on to the viewer? Will be interesting to see.

If you have the UFC Fight Pass (or you can probably just find it online), go back and watch the Affliction shows. Big John did commentary for them and was pretty good. I think he'll do a great job for Bellator, but it does suck that MMA has lost the best referee in the biz.

I wonder who would be considered the best referee right now?

I was pleasantly surprised that BJM did a pretty good job as a commentator. IMO Herb Dean is the best ref. He fucked up Homasi vs Alhassan 1, but is usually flawless.

Hey Jackson, great to see you back on the forums. Now that you're back, would you mind answering the question I posted here: http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60840&p=842424

I was pleasantly surprised that BJM did a pretty good job as a commentator. IMO Herb Dean is the best ref. He fucked up Homasi vs Alhassan 1, but is usually flawless.

He was a little iffy on interviewing fighters, imo. But I thought he did a phenomenal job on commentary.

Dan Miragliotta and Herb Dean are probably the best refs right now. They both have made some pretty bad calls, but that's like, only 20% of their entire refereeing career.

That's the tough part about being a ref. People don't care that you do a great job on like 49 out of 50 fights in one week, they only care about the 1 fight that you make a bad call in, in which they'll hold over your head for the rest of your life and constantly complain how you shouldn't be allowed to ref anymore.

He was a little iffy on interviewing fighters, imo. But I thought he did a phenomenal job on commentary.

Dan Miragliotta and Herb Dean are probably the best refs right now. They both have made some pretty bad calls, but that's like, only 20% of their entire refereeing career.

That's the tough part about being a ref. People don't care that you do a great job on like 49 out of 50 fights in one week, they only care about the 1 fight that you make a bad call in, in which they'll hold over your head for the rest of your life and constantly complain how you shouldn't be allowed to ref anymore.

Marc Goddard is miles ahead of everyone. I'd say he's even better than Big John. And Dean does have a bit of a habbit of slipping up, especially in big fights. He's not as sharp as he used to be.
  • Upvote 1

Marc Goddard is miles ahead of everyone. I'd say he's even better than Big John. And Dean does have a bit of a habbit of slipping up, especially in big fights. He's not as sharp as he used to be.

Completely forgot Goddard. He's a great ref, too.

And, yeah, Herb is getting old. I wouldn't be shocked if he calls it a career in a year or two.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel as though Herb Dean is the GOAT ref but Big John and Goddard are close second and 3rd place.

John is easily the first, Dean is nowhere near, had multiple screw ups in his career. I just watched John's first event as a commentator, i think once he settles in he will be great, i think he did a good job his first time round.