What's important after physicals. Primary or Secondary?

wayne95

for your fighter, at this moment, train secondaries.
What to train depends on what your fighter got. And, also, at what he is probably going to face. If your org only has wrestlers at your weight division, you should probably be doing takedown defense and d grap...

Whatever it is, usually you train your defense first and your attack later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's my fighter https://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilepublic.php?FID=364188 , just wanted to ask if what's more important. If it's primary Box or Wrest? If it's Secondary Punches or Clincwork?

Looking at your fighter, I'd definitely be improving your wrestling, takedown defense, and unless his takedown defense is already pretty high, defensive grappling and transitions.

Circumstantial. You usually train one or the other, which ever you need more to win. But never hurts to add an attack your opponent hasn't seen or is vulnerable to at ID level when you can mold fighter builds within a month or two.

I.E. somebody suggest I train Kahn's defensive grappling and transitions for Kahn vs Wolf. Kahn went full Kimbo and told the coaches he's not training ground shit cuz it ain't going to the ground. Never threw a kick in his career until Wolf fight. 10th or 11th fight of career. Spammed kicks, an attack, Wolfs biggest weakness instead of focusing on my strongest attacks (punch tech and clinch) or biggest needs defensively (TD def, def grappling, trans) but it honestly varies from opponent to opponent, tendency, skills, etc.

If you know fighter has massive physical advantage over you, your ass better spam physicals.

• Upvote 4

Circumstantial. You usually train one or the other, which ever you need more to win. But never hurts to add an attack your opponent hasn't seen or is vulnerable to at ID level when you can mold fighter builds within a month or two.

I.E. somebody suggest I train Kahn's defensive grappling and transitions for Kahn vs Wolf. Kahn went full Kimbo and told the coaches he's not training ground shit cuz it ain't going to the ground. Never threw a kick in his career until Wolf fight. 10th or 11th fight of career. Spammed kicks, an attack, Wolfs biggest weakness instead of focusing on my strongest attacks (punch tech and clinch) or biggest needs defensively (TD def, def grappling, trans) but it honestly varies from opponent to opponent, tendency, skills, etc.

If you know fighter has massive physical advantage over you, your ass better spam physicals.

*IF* he did whats most common for seasoned managers, a 110 MT build means 1 in punches and striking D.

In that context, as I said, USUALLY you train defense first (if my guy is going to start fighting really soon I go wonderful at both and then I go training what you need to win), specially cause you already have an attacking option with kicks on the outside...

As said, its a rules of thumb, not and unbreakable law of physics.

Lets not forget we are talking about a totally fresh 18 yo here, not your 10-15k aged project... I dont think you can quite compare training advice for both

EDIT: Hey, dont get me wrong, I totally agree with what you said, I just think its not the same context as this thread

Lets not forget we are talking about a totally fresh 18 yo here, not your 10-15k aged project... I dont think you can quite compare training advice for both

EDIT: Hey, dont get me wrong, I totally agree with what you said, I just think its not the same context as this thread

Yeah idk if I was replying to OP or just the text I quoted.

Easier mold builds w/ 18 y/o. Kahn was sample as adding new attack into arsenal in between fights.

To OP:

I wouldn't spar primary fighter til they are about to turn 19. Focus on secondary. If going to fight any time soon, circuits too.

Punches is probably the most important overall because you can use it in the Clinch + Stand up. No other skill is used in 2 setups.

Striking Defense easily hands down universal most important secondary for both strikers and grapplers competing in MMA fights.

As I said, punches and striking D, usually train defense first.

for your fighter, at this moment, train secondaries.

What to train depends on what your fighter got. And, also, at what he is probably going to face. If your org only has wrestlers at your weight division, you should probably be doing takedown defense and d grap...

• 3 months later...

So. If creating a grappler (useless boxing and MT). How effective is starting him with 110 strike defense if you had to face a striker? Would it be better to make sure your takedown game is strong or should you just put that 110 into another ground game area and train SD as high as you can before facing that fighter?

So. If creating a grappler (useless boxing and MT). How effective is starting him with 110 strike defense if you had to face a striker? Would it be better to make sure your takedown game is strong or should you just put that 110 into another ground game area and train SD as high as you can before facing that fighter?

Imagine it like this:

1) no striking defense: your fighter stands still with his hands down in front of his opponent

2) 110 striking defense: your fighter has his hands up, bobbing and weaving his head a little to avoid some strikes

In the second scenario, it won’t keep your opponent from punching your fighter in the face but your fighter won’t get finished as easily. Basically, it buys you more time. Time which you can use to try to take the fight to the ground.

• Upvote 1

Imagine it like this:

1) no striking defense: your fighter stands still with his hands down in front of his opponent

2) 110 striking defense: your fighter has his hands up, bobbing and weaving his head a little to avoid some strikes

In the second scenario, it won’t keep your opponent from punching your fighter in the face but your fighter won’t get finished as easily. Basically, it buys you more time. Time which you can use to try to take the fight to the ground.

makes sense and what I figured.

• 2 weeks later...