Who can beat Jon Jones (past and present)?

sterling69

My personal opinion, no fighter in history in any weight class can beat Jon Jones

He is just the perfect fighter.

Longest reach in MMA history. Insane fight IQ, deadly kicks, great and accurate striking, iron chin (Rashad cracked him and he didnt even flinch), superior wrestling and takedown

He is virtually undefeated in his career. I think steroids aside, he is the GOAT

Thoughts? Will anyone ever beat him? And who?

• Downvote 2

Honestly, you're probably right. No-one can beat him. Would be interesting to see Cain Velasquez in his prime against Jones but even then I would probably still favor Jones.

I'd say to beat Jones, you need to finish him quick and you need to be a better boxer than him, since you're not going to beat his cardio, kicking or wrestling.

Also, you need to be somewhat decent at defending takedowns.

For me that leaves Miocic and Rumble as first picks,to have a chance. After that, prime Overeen, JDS and mayne Ngannou

I'd say to beat Jones, you need to finish him quick and you need to be a better boxer than him, since you're not going to beat his cardio, kicking or wrestling.

Also, you need to be somewhat decent at defending takedowns.

For me that leaves Miocic and Rumble as first picks,to have a chance. After that, prime Overeen, JDS and mayne Ngannou

Agreed on Miocic, Overeem & JDS. I'd also throw Cain and Fedor into the discussion too, but beyond that I'm not sure who else.

Agreed on Miocic, Overeem & JDS. I'd also throw Cain and Fedor into the discussion too, but beyond that I'm not sure who else.

I personally think Fedor is just too small and not really that great a boxer. Cain is the only one i could see winning the wrestling, but standing up he's way out of depth.

Anthony Rumble Johnson. I wish their fight at UFC 187 would have happened. He's got seriously scary power in his hands and can defend against fighters with good wrestler (he beat Phil Davis).

Eh, Jon would've framed him away and booted him in the gut a few time until Rumble mentally checked out imo.

I think a number of HWs would have a shot at catching him with something random and hurting him, but skill for skill it's gonna be tough. Like I can totally imagine Jon Jones getting cracked out of nowhere by like Ben Rothwell, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Ngannou has a ton of power but Im not so confident he could crack him. Prime JDS and prime (sea level) Cain have the best shot imo. JDS had incredible boxing, power and speed so he couldve finished him. Cain has the cardio and wrestling to ground and pound him into a decision or maybe a finish.

Ill give an honorable mention to Horse meat overeem. Superior skills on the feet and the clinch imo and has the power to land a ko blow on jones. Jones skill set and length are too much to see anybody beating him.

If I had to put my money on him vs anybody I would bet on him. I think the first Gus fight and that Vitor near armbar is as close as well get to see him lose.

Anthony Rumble Johnson. I wish their fight at UFC 187 would have happened. He's got seriously scary power in his hands and can defend against fighters with good wrestler (he beat Phil Davis).

it would be interesting to see but saying rumble can defend against good wrestler is pushing it a little bit -- koshceck, belfort and dc all had their way with him on the ground and getting the takedown

If he moved to Heavyweight right now, he’d be champ because the current champ can’t beat him.

• Downvote 2

i always thought he had the best chance, Johnson was explosive enough to close the distance and hit Jones, and you don't want to get hit by Rumble! only man who could take prime Rumble's power seemed to be Cormier..

that being said if the fight went beyond the 2nd round i would lean heavily towards Jones.

i'd like to see Yoel Romero fight Jones, i'm sure that would be a cracking fight!

• Upvote 1

it would be interesting to see but saying rumble can defend against good wrestler is pushing it a little bit -- koshceck, belfort and dc all had their way with him on the ground and getting the takedown

Kos was when Rumble was WW (how the hell did he make that weight) and Belfort was MW. His cardio was far better at LHW and that's where he went on a really great run (12-2) with the only 2 losses coming against arguably the best wrestler in the UFC (for me it's either DC or Khabib).

Kos was when Rumble was WW (how the hell did he make that weight) and Belfort was MW. His cardio was far better at LHW and that's where he went on a really great run (12-2) with the only 2 losses coming against arguably the best wrestler in the UFC (for me it's either DC or Khabib).

Hahahaha I just remembered that Rumble moved up to MW citing trouble making 170, and then immediately missed weight by like 15 lbs.

the more i think about it the more i want to see Yoel Romero fight Jones, i think he would be in with the biggest chance to topple Jones at light heavyweight.

Hmmm, yes indeed. He is someone who can shut his range (ability) down...

• Upvote 1

Not really , spider got fed lots of easy fights. Jones would kill him.

His streak of wins aren't as impressive as Fedor or GSP but Anderson beat better contenders then Jones did easily. Jones fought a bunch of blown up past their prime middleweights in a terribly shallow division as a Heavyweight and couldn't pass a drug test.. The second fight vs Cormier is a NC so that doesn't count either.

• Upvote 1