EPL 8

JLP

Week 12 Standings
EPL 8 APEX & SYN (MW with 175 minimum weight)

1. Billy Beast 15

2. Cormac Gutz 14

3. Artie DeVanzo 13.5

4. Boris Gregorovitsj 13

5. Tantalus Flay 12.5

6. Brandon Hale 11.5

7. Hilton Teimosia 10

8. Alexandr Nikitin 7.5 (Nikitin gets tie-breaker over Crash due to head to head victory)

-----------------------Playoff Qualifiers-----------------------------------

9. Dickie Crash 7

10. Gary Grice 6.5

11. Aznar Thrul 6

12. Jurmas Uusisto 5

13. Bastien Harris 3

14. Justin Hall 2.5

• Upvote 3

Week 1

DeVanzo vs Crash

Hall vs Teimosa

Nikitin vs Beast

Gutz for Uusisto

Grice vs Harris

Boris vs Hale

Flay vs Thrul

Week 2

Teimosa vs Beast

Uusisto vs Hall

Harris vs Nikitin

Hale vs Gutz

Thrul vs Grice

Crash vs Boris

Flay vs DeVanzo

Week 3

Beast vs Uursisto

Harris vs Teimosa

Hall vs Hale

Nikitin vs Thrul

Gutz vs Crash

Grice vs Flay

DeVanzo vs Boris

Week 4

Harris vs Uusisto

Hale vs Beast

Teimosa vs Thrul

Hall vs Crash

Nikitin vs Flay

Gutz vs Boris

DeVanzo vs Grice

Week 5

Hale vs Harris

Uusisto vs Thrul

Beast vs Crash

Teimosa vs Flay

Hall vs Boris

Nikitin vs Grice

Gutz vs DeVanzo

Week 6

Thrul vs Hale

Harris vs Crash

Uusisto vs Flay

Beast vs Boris

Teimosa vs Grice

Hall vs Gutz

DeVanzo vs Nikitin

Week 7

Crash vs Thrul

Hale vs Flay

Harris vs Boris

Uusisto vs Grice

Beast vs Gutz

Teimosa vs Nikitin

DeVanzo vs Hall

Week 8

Flay vs Crash

Thrul vs Boris

Hale vs Grice

Harris vs Gutz

Uusisto vs Nikitin

Beast vs Hall

DeVanzo vs Teimosa

Week 9

Gutz vs Nikitin

Grice vs Hall

Boris vs Teimosa

Flay vs Beast

Uusisto vs Crash

Thrul vs Harris

DeVanzo vs Hale

Week 10

Boris vs Grice

Flay vs Gutz

Nikitin vs Crash

Thrul vs Hall

Hale vs Teimosa

Harris vs Beast

DeVanzo vs Uusisto

Week 11

Grice vs Gutz

Boris vs Nikitin

Flay vs Hall

Teimosa vs Crash

Thrul vs Beast

Hale vs Uusisto

DeVanzo vs Harris

Week 12

Flay vs Boris

Grice vs Crash

Thrul vs Gutz

Hale vs Nikitin

Harris vs Hall

Uusisto vs Teimosa

DeVanzo vs Beast

Week 13

Gutz vs Teimosa

Grice vs Beast

Boris vs Uusisto

Flay vs Harris

Hale vs Crash

DeVanzo vs Thrul

Nikitin vs Hall

EPL 8 preview part 1

The Grizzled Veterans

Cormac Gutz

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/12/12w11.jpg

Gutz looked unstoppable in the early going of EPL 6. He won his first nine EPL contests with only one tough fight split decision vs Socha. The wheels came off in week 10 with a controversial decision loss to JD Wildstein and then a first round exit due to flagrant lay-n-pray by Juan Corrida. Since EPL, Gutz has been struggling. He is coming into the tournament on a 4 fight losing streak. Gutz is known to embrace the grind of weekly contention and hopes to regain last seasons form on his swan song.

Boris Gregorovitsj

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/30/30w23.jpg

"The Pink Panther" is no novice when it comes to EPL competition either. This skilled striker went 6-4-2 in season 6, playoffs and regular season combined. Boris was competitive in every fight and has never been stopped in EPL competition. Having been eliminated in the playoffs due to a draw, this exciting striker has something to prove in season 8. Since competing in EPL, Boris faced stiff competition in EVO and Troid accumulating a 5-4 record.

Tantalus Flay

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/15/15w17.jpg

Mid season replacement Flay made a name for himself in last seasons competition. After dropping his debut fight to the always tough JD Wildstein, Flay went on a 6 fight winning streak and advanced to the semis before being eliminated by eventual champ Idi O'Crazy. After the finals Flay and O'Crazy would clash twice more and split the contests. From there he went on to claim the TTFC WW belt and lose a shot at the EVO WW belt. EPL competition brought Flay from a relative unknown to a household name. The younger fighters entered into the tournament will be looking to emulate Flay's run.

Jurmas Uusisto

http://mmatycoon.com/gallery/8/8b12.jpg

Legendary grappler Jurmas Uusisto excited MMA fans around the world when he announced he was coming out of retirement to compete in EPL. Although it will be his first EPL appearance, there can be no doubt that "The Brown Norge" deserves to be in the grizzled veterans section. With 60 total MMA fights its hard to find a fighter as experienced as Jurmas. He has held the WW title at 4 different orgs, the icing on the cake will be an EPL championship.

• Upvote 3

I see it's being held in NY now. Will there be private jets available for guys flying in every week?

The plan was always NY. I only got one other opinion (they wanted to keep it in NY) besides yours on where to have it occur so I couldnt go back on my original plan. I'll send a private jet for your fighter.

Preview part II: The Journeymen

Dickie Crash Crash began his career in impressive fashion, winning a MW tourney at ICON-HMFL in which he finished all opponents via strikes. He then lost a title shot in his next fight. Crash was at HMFL for his next 9 fights, challenging for the title twice more but never able to claim the gold. He then moved on to AMS FC and had mixed results, going 5-3 but leaving on a 3 fight winning streak. UPG was the next org to sign Crash and they had him challenge for a title in his debut. He lost that fight and his next two, so he is entering EPL on a three fight losing streak. Crash is a dangerous striker with good power, his chin has failed him against top opponents, but he's not a guy to get finished quick which will serve him well in EPL.

Brandon Hale A SYN representative, Hale comes in off of two impressive performances under new management. Having gone 6-2-1 in SYN is impressive, but an EPL crown would go a long way to taking him into world renown level. The former Dominance champion is known to have success when changing camps in the past, so this might be the perfect opportunity to climb the ranks. Hale is a powerful striker and has proven to be very durable. I think he is the most likely of the "Journeymen" to win EPL gold.

Bastien Harris Harris is another fighter that started his career on an impressive streak and really looked to be a future top fighter. He went 8-0 at SFC and held the title before losing and then reclaiming the title from Jacques Don Pierre in impressive fashion. The rest of his SFC career had mixed results as opponents and Harris both went headhunting. Harris' all action fights and brutal power made him an SFC favorite. He left the org in search of new opponents and really struggled at times after a drop in weight. Harris recently went on a 4 fight losing streak, but bounced back and really looked to have regained his early career form in his last fight. Getting back up to a higher weight class and doing some damage in EPL may just be the thing he needs to get his career back on track.

Hilton Teimosia Former Troid LW champion Hilton Teimosa is moving up in weight to try his hand at EPL. Hilton has been struggling lately, going 3-5 in his last eight fights but that has been against some decent competition at LW. Hilton had been the definition of a journeyman early in his career as he bounced from org to org early on. He finally got comfortable and settled at Troid when he first got there and reeled off a 4 fight winning streak including three title wins. After dropping the belt to Sam Urai, and then losing the rematch after a bounce back win, Hilton had mixed results. He left Troid and went to UPG and compiled a 1-2 record there. As one of the shorter fighters in the tournament, Teimosa will have to really rely on his power to carry him through.

Justin Hall Like Hale, Hall also has been on a tear under new management. He has gone 7-2 since joining the Blunts camp and has seemed to come into his own as an mma fighter. Under Blunts, Hall has developed as a striker to complement his wrestling game. Like Teimosa, Hall has a Troid and UPG background. But he's never contended for a title. Looking to prove himself on the top level led Hall to sign up for EPL.

Artie DeVanzo All the skills in the world havent allowed Artie to overcome his chinniness. He's hoping a drop down in weight to a more natural weight class will allow him to finally fulfill the lofty potential he once was seen to have. Artie is no stranger to tournaments, having participated in two ITFL's and an AMS tournament. Those tournies have allowed Artie to accumulate a whopping 29 fights at the tender young age of 26. If Artie's jaw can hold up at a lighter weight, he could make waves in EPL.

Alexandr Nikitin Nikitin is probably the least accomplished fighter in this seasons EPL. I'm sure he's hoping his rather unique for EPL skillset will give him a chance to pull some upsets and challenge for the title. Nikitin is the only red belt to ever compete in EPL, and will put his opponent in a great deal of trouble if he can get the fight to the ground. As we saw in last seasons EPL, the grapplers seemed to flourish as the season went on and fighter fatigue set in. He gets a tough draw in the first round against a tourney favorite in Billy Beast. Alexandr is looking to prove that grappling isnt dead in EPL.

• Upvote 1

The Prodigy

Aznar Thrul The youngest fighter by far, Aznar Thrul is the ultimate wildcard. As we saw on last season's EPL, young fighters have a tendency to surge late. Thrul has had mixed success early in his career but has really come on as of late. He switched management after starting 1-2 and has gone 3-1 in his last four, including two wins after moving up to a top tier org in CEC. Thrul has a diverse fighting style and is competent in any phase of the fight. 7 of his 9 victories have been by stoppage so he is a dangerous and exciting fighter.

The Favorites

Billy Beast Beast looks to be in his MMA prime both skill wise and physically as he enters his EPL experience. Beast is 7-1 in title fights so he has been successful vs top level competition. He has been surging lately, winning 6 out of his last 7. It could very well be that Beast's timing is perfect to win the coveted EPL crown. Beast has never been stopped and has exhibited crippling power in his strikes. He has stopped his opponents in 16 of his 19 victories. His durability and power make Beast the co-favorite in this competition.

Gary Grice Skill wise, Gary Grice's primes put him on a tier above the rest of the EPL contestants. He has shown good power and a diverse offense in his career. At 33 Grice isnt one of the younger fighters, but he has spent the most time in the gym. Grice only has 19 fights in his career and has only recently stepped up to fight top competition in the game. Grice is easily the biggest wildcard in the tournament, there are questions about him that have just yet to be answered. EPL is the ultimate crucible though and we will shortly see if Grice is for real. His skill level is undeniable though and until he proves to be deficient somewhere he has to be one of the favorites to win it all.

• Upvote 2

Alexandr Nikitin Nikitin is probably the least accomplished fighter in this seasons EPL.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14410618345782.jpg

Alexandr "Mean Machine " Nikitin angry response

What the god damn hell.I show you unaccomplished when i whoop that so called favorite from one side the cage to the other.I will then take him down and beat on him on ground for a while.When i look in his eyes and he begs me to end it i put him in a submission .Hopefully the refs or not payed off and they be no gay ref stand ups when i trying to do shit

• Upvote 1

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/13866819271700.jpg

Bastien Harris

"There is no denying that my head has not been in the MMA game for some time now, since my reign as MW champ of Silent Fighting Championship. I would love nothing more then to prove i still got some gas in my tank, looking at the lineup for this tournament though i am going to be drinking heavily to reduce the Pain of damage in between fights.

On the bright side though i can't get any uglier so bring it on you Tongue punching cbombs."

• Upvote 2

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/14410618345782.jpg

Alexandr "Mean Machine " Nikitin angry response

What the god damn hell.I show you unaccomplished when i whoop that so called favorite from one side the cage to the other.I will then take him down and beat on him on ground for a while.When i look in his eyes and he begs me to end it i put him in a submission .Hopefully the refs or not payed off and they be no gay ref stand ups when i trying to do shit

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/0/13866819271700.jpg

Bastien Harris

"There is no denying that my head has not been in the MMA game for some time now, since my reign as MW champ of Silent Fighting Championship. I would love nothing more then to prove i still got some gas in my tank, looking at the lineup for this tournament though i am going to be drinking heavily to reduce the Pain of damage in between fights.

On the bright side though i can't get any uglier so bring it on you Tongue punching cbombs."

Good luck to both of you. The best part about EPL is that with the different rules, it is a totally different experience then the main game. It's a great place to make a name for a fighter that has underachieved to this point. That's my hope with DeVanzo.

Hell, even getting your teeth kicked in isnt as bad because you got a shot at redemption a week later.

Thrul: Flay might not even show up for our fight it looks like. Don't blame him really. I'm younger, more skilled, and not as highly ranked. He has everything to lose.

Oh and Gary Grice.....you are on the top of my hit list. I was a green 17 year old with one fight to my name the first time we faced off and you were an undefeated 26 year old just looking to pad your record. Matchmaking like that is why I changed managers in the first place. Now the tables will turn. You are on the wrong end of 30 and I'm about to exact vengeance 7 years in the making.

• Upvote 1

The restriction for the tournament was 175lbs right? If so it looks like Hilton has some weight to put on and not enough time to do it...

he had a late fight scheduled and has been on weight gain since. Blunts is ok with him coming in under for the first fight. Rodrigo will have him at the minimum for the second fight for sure. At this point it really wouldnt be productive to disqualify someone for a couple of pounds and hurt the whole tournament.

There actually has been a fair number of obstacles to overcome in the last few days to get this going. I havent been able to get as involved as I would have been because im working 5 10's and an 8 for the last couple weeks. Here's hoping its clear sailing from here.