The Football (Soccer) Thread

Mentor

Yeah they had spells where they did look good but i believe that was them at their best and its just not good enough. Herrera is out of contract this summer & rumour was hes off to PSG. Gareth Bale is being talked about again but they should stay clear, hes a quality player but the last few seasons hes spent most of the time on the sidelines with injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they had spells where they did look good but i believe that was them at their best and its just not good enough. Herrera is out of contract this summer & rumour was hes off to PSG. Gareth Bale is being talked about again but they should stay clear, hes a quality player but the last few seasons hes spent most of the time on the sidelines with injuries.

I think Bale is was over paid at this point in his career, I think he earns 500k per week or something. I mean who is going to pay that for a guy who plays 50% of the games? He is also going to be 30y old next year. For a guy who relies on pace and strength, that is also a major factor. I think that Bale will probably end up going on loan, with Madrid having to pay part of his wages.

Spurs did what Liverpool did yesterday. They lost game #1 at home 1-0 and were losing away 2-0 and it was already the second half, then everything changed! 2 goals from Moura and in the 96th minute...............................Spurs scored again, with Moura for his hatrick. Spurs will now face Liverpool in the finals of the CL!

yeah, i hope they play their usual style and not try to slow down the pace. I doubt Klopp or Pouchetino will seriously change much for this game, so it should be a good final. The odds are clearly in favor of Liverpool though, since 2013, Liverpool have won 9, 4 were draws and Spurs only one 1 game. Most of those games were with Pouchetino as the coach (he joined Spurs in 2014).

The all time history is clearly in Pool's favor as well 82-42-48.

I think that has to do with the fact that they over paid for him and know they cannot recoup the money invested. Personally i like that player, he is the type of player Spurs could use, we lack pace on the wings and he is young enough to develop his game still. That said you are right, if Ole has no control over who he can sell or buy, then it is likely he wont be able to develop the team to where he wants it. Maybe they are considering sacking him soon, that is why.

FA Cup final today, Man City v Watford.

There’s upsides to either team winning (for those of us who don’t support either of them).

If City win then Wolves get to play in the Europa next year, good reward for a great team and manager. Hopefully they won’t suffer like Burnley did but I think they’ll be fine, they’ve got strong backing from the owners.

If Watford win then Man City miss out on the domestic treble, which is always fun to spoil their party, but even better perhaps Man United will have to play an early Europa league qualification game that’s scheduled for the same day as a money spinning friendly in America. More humiliation for United!

• 2 weeks later...

Zlatan Ibramobeast makes the MLS look like a third hand league. Which I know they are but it may be time to say Semi-Major league soccer. Still the sport is growing here in the states.

Until US soccer / MLS introduces promotion / relegation it will always suck. Lack of incentive to be good, example Chicago Fire. Plus in the states you have to pay serious cash to get your kid decent training with club soccer, not a great way to find talented kids as only some of the population can afford it.

• Upvote 2

MLS has a lot more problems than that. They run MLS similar to all the USA franchise sports (which are geared towards earning money for the owners first and foremost). There are restrictions to wages and various caps. The main issue is that unlike the other major sports, (where the USA is the dominant place of employment) soccer/football is better represented in other parts of the world, so the big money is there. So in the end all the best talent ends up leaving the MLS and you end up with a depleted league. All the best players are mostly old, semi-retired players.

Unless the MLS starts functioning more like the other footballing nations, you will always be a feeder league for Europe. If they would allow owners spend, it would attract better talent, the quality would improve, which will bring more fans, increase the gates and profile of the league and slowly they would become more competitive with the rest of the world. Not having promotions and relegation's is a joke.

• 1 month later...

Spurs started well signing Ndombele, but after that, they have been pathetic. I was genuinely hopeful this year Levy would spend. If we exist this window without doing the following:

a) Renew Erikson or Sell him if he does not want to renew

B) Get his replacement.

It will be a total screw up. The guy has his contract expiring next summer and he is one of our main assets worth 70m or more. Levy has been pushing for 100m, but nobody will offer that, especially now, with just 3 days left in the EPL window and them knowing that in 1 year for now they can get him for free. Selling him mid season is a joke, we will never get an adequate replacement and he clearly does not want to be here now.

I also think Spurs need major investment. Our squad is ageing, in the summer we lost some of our fringe players such as Vorm, Llorente, Jansen, but we also lost our starting RB (Trippier). This means, we are going into the new season without an established RB, with just one Left wing back (Rose, i do not consider Davies a wing back, he is more of a flat Full Back). Toby will be leaving us in next summer for free as well and we have not signed anyone at DC. Last year we had just 2 strikers (Kane + Llorente) and now we have just 1 with Llorente gone. Nbombele joined us, but in reality, he is the replacement for Dembele who left in the winter. We are 3-4 players away from a serious challenge, but if they do not bring in anyone, they are 3-4 injuries away from missing the top 4.

Rumours are you might be getting Dybala and Coutinho. That would be excellent for you.

The rumors are we are getting everyone, the real facts is that we bought just Ndombele in the past 1 1/2 years (we bought that Clarke guy, but he has not technically joined us yet, he was bought and sent on loan straight away) and we have less than 24 hours till the window closes.

The rumors are we are getting everyone, the real facts is that we bought just Ndombele in the past 1 1/2 years (we bought that Clarke guy, but he has not technically joined us yet, he was bought and sent on loan straight away) and we have less than 24 hours till the window closes.

Ok no Coutinho but Lo Celso rumour still hot and Sessegnon (you should really get Sess, been chasing him so long!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49269176

Ok no Coutinho but Lo Celso rumour still hot and Sessegnon (you should really get Sess, been chasing him so long!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49269176

Apparently Lo Celso and Sessegnon are done deals, they just need to finalize them. Dybala has also agreed terms, but there is some stupid company that owns his image rights (based out of Malta or something) and that could screw everything up. Still no news about Eriksen, i think we plan to keep him until the end of the EU transfer window, get a few games out of him before offloading to the EU leagues.

It seems Coutinho is off the table. Apparently he played under Pouchetino while on loan at Espanyol in 2012.