Transition vs escapes vs def grappling

Splitm

Hi,

What's the difference between transition,escapes, and defensive grappling?

I understand it as def grappling being defending submissions, escapes being getting up from ground fighting, and transitions is changing positions on the ground?

Is that it? are they all mutually exclusive or do these skills affect all the above?

I was told de grappling was only on the ground, but I have not been around as long as most. I would like someone to weight in and less me know if it helps in the clinch or not for sure. To the OP you nailed the other two.

I'm with you on this. I want to get a better understanding between the 3. I figured degrapp was for everything wrestling and BJJ related.

• Defensive grappling - Groundwork only. Consider it both sub defense and also a little positional defense.
  • Transitions - Moving from one position to another on the ground. Also helps prevent other fighters from transitioning to a better position.
  • Escapes - Your fighter will need this to get back to his feet, if he is on the ground.

This is from the wiki. Now I have had fighters stand up from top position with no skill points in Escapes other than the one you have to put there. So from what I am gathering Defensive grappling will help you defend submissions and defend against sweeps. Transitions will help you sweep and pass to better positions and also aid Def Grappling in preventing sweeps. Escapes only help you get back up, so if you are on top you dont need to much escape and if you are on bottom you would need all three. So from what I am gathering you dont need any Escapes at all if you have high defensive grappling and transitions.

• 5 months later...

Yeah with the current skillcap i think you should focus on just transitions between the two

well its not the skill cap that makes escapes useless (or somewhat useless) or not needed -- it's the fact of getting a ref stand up is so easy that makes escapes useless -- if ref stand ups were redone making escapes really needed to get back to feet the skill cap would work the way it should against stand up fighters

• 4 months later...

how set a tactics to fight against good grappler? My opponent has black belt and my fighter has brown belt (12++) and 13 trainsitions and 13 def grap. Have I any chance on the ground? Should I set more aggressor and finisher if I have 14 gnp or more control and adv positions? i have 11 escapes.

just a tip... dont post your fighters skills in the forum...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Transitions help a guy get up when he is on top position not escapes. Escapes are only for getting up from bottom position.

Not true...

Escapes are for getting to your feet from both top and bottom. Transitions help you move from one position to another, and can help keep your opponent from doing the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not true...

Escapes are for getting to your feet from both top and bottom. Transitions help you move from one position to another, and can help keep your opponent from doing the same.

Try it sometime with a guy that has high transitions and useless escapes. You don't need escapes to stand up from inside someone's guard if you have great transitions. It is seen the same way as any other transition by the system.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Transitions help a guy get up when he is on top position not escapes. Escapes are only for getting up from bottom position.

See how this differs from this:

Try it sometime with a guy that has high transitions and useless escapes. You don't need escapes to stand up from inside someone's guard if you have great transitions. It is seen the same way as any other transition by the system.

You still haven't addressed the error you made in the first quote. Escapes are for BOTH getting up from top and bottom positions. You don't need any punches to throw a punch and have it connect, you don't need to have subs and be able to pull one off. The argument that I'm making is not whether or not escapes are broken (they probably aren't at least not completely) but whether or not you telling new players info based on your interpretation of the game engine is the best way to dole out advice in the noob section.

We have to keep it simple in the noob section.

• Downvote 1

See how this differs from this:

You still haven't addressed the error you made in the first quote. Escapes are for BOTH getting up from top and bottom positions. You don't need any punches to throw a punch and have it connect, you don't need to have subs and be able to pull one off. The argument that I'm making is not whether or not escapes are broken (they probably aren't at least not completely) but whether or not you telling new players info based on your interpretation of the game engine is the best way to dole out advice in the noob section.

We have to keep it simple in the noob section.

I'll spell it out clearer. Transitions are the primary skill that dictates whether a fighter can successfully stand up from a position where they are on top. NOT Escapes.

Mike has confirmed this too it is in the forum somewhere.

Think logically also. Why would you need escapes to stand up from a dominant position? Not exactly a difficult task. I'm not sure if you have ever trained or competed, but even a position like half guard is not particulary difficult to stand from. Closed guard is only position you would need to "escape" from.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the thing I like about you, juice: you're always right.

I'm going off what Mike Tycoon has been on record as saying regarding escapes. You keep on comparing this game to real life if you must.

Lol Mike has said exactly what I am saying about transitions. If you feel better convincing yourself that I'm treating this game like real life or whatever then that's fine, but I'm sticking to what I've said. Transitions dictate the chance of a fighter successfully standing up from top position NOT Escapes.

It is one of the most misunderstood aspects of the game engine because most ppl don't do it and assume it's all escapes. Most managers would just stall from the top to get a ref standup if they were at a disadvantage and the remaining want to be there cause they have the ability to win from the top with that fighter. Also have to take into consideration that if guy on bottom has high d grappling and transitions it makes it even more difficult and if bottom guy is intelligent the fighter trying to stand up can be countered and swept.

• Upvote 1