Different tactics per round

MMATycoon

Do you want different tactics per round?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want different tactics per round?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / Don't care

how about 3 sliders for per round changes

1. overall less agressive or more agressive

2. more or less takedowns and clinch

3. more or less finish / control.

say in the first round you want to fight conservatively to keep them cardio lacking bob sapp types off you.

then in the second you want to play it safe and go for the takedown and smother

then in the third you know you have the edge and you let it hang out.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea. If you have a fighter who is durable with a chin and cardio fighting a guy who has shown a tendancy to come out guns blazing who has poor cardio. You should have the choice to set a different aggressiveness for each round.

Yes please. Adding more gameplanning means that the fights are determined by the manager's acumen, rather than simply the skill points of the fighters, which are more a function of time spent on the game.

QUOTE (unknown191 @ Aug 11 2009, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes please. Adding more gameplanning means that the fights are determined by the manager's acumen, rather than simply the skill points of the fighters, which are more a function of time spent on the game.

Problem is.... where's my drum roll? somebody give me a drum roll...

Managers don't win fights. The Fighters do.

(how simple and basic it is now is more than enough input and a blessing in disguise. We could have simple check boxes like: Don't go to the ground, Take the fight to the ground, Always stand up, Mix up strikes, for those too lazy to fuck with the tactic bar. of course the results wouldn't always be the same but I'm sure it wouldn't mix much up except pre-setting sliders for you based off what you chose.)

It's a combination of the managers input and the fighters ability. Both equally important cuz if you set your tactics wrong your fucked. Or you can have a real good advantage with the right tactics set.

Simple shit idk what's so hard to understand bout that. To reply to what Jeepis said early about adding percentages and all that, it's a cool tactic from a manager and strategist point of view but to be honest a fighter really don't think about all that shit, numbers and all that don't pop in his head in the middle of a fight or in between rounds when they're catchin a breather (not strategizing the perfect thought out precise gameplan based on percentages in round 1 for round 2 or 3).

You fight, you might get hit a couple times and if you don't like that take the dude down. If you set your tactics to 100% follow managers orders, and to never ever go for the takedown your dude will NEVER do anything the manager didn't instruct him to do. People, if you really wanna see your fighter switch shit up, if he's intelligent enough, don't set him all the way to follow orders let him "see how it goes" you could be amazed with the results. Sometimes your fighter is smarter then you /default/wink.gif

(how simple and basic it is now is more than enough input and a blessing in disguise. We could have simple ass check boxes like: Don't go to the ground, Take the fight to the ground, Always stand up, Mix up strikes, for those too lazy to fuck with the tactic bar. of course the results wouldn't always be the same but I'm sure it wouldn't mix much up except pre-setting sliders for you based off what you chose.)

It's a combonation of the managers input and the fighters ability. Both equally important cuz if you set your tactics wrong your fucked. Or you can have a real good advantage with the right tactics set.

Simple shit idk what's so hard to understand bout that. To reply to what Jeepis said early about adding percentages and all that, it's a cool tactic from a manager and strategist point of view but to be honest a fighter really don't think about all that shit, numbers and all that don't pop in his head in the middle of a fight or in between rounds when they're catchin a breather (not strategizing the perfect thought out precise gameplan based on percentages in round 1 for round 2 or 3).

You fight, you might get hit a couple times and if you don't like that take the dude down. If you set your tactics to 100% follow managers orders, and to never ever go for the takedown your dude will NEVER do anything the manager didn't instruct him to do. People, if you really wanna see your fighter switch shit up, if he's intelligent enough, don't set him all the way to follow orders let him "see how it goes" you could be amazed with the results. Sometimes your fighter is smarter then you ;)

lol unless he is a dumbshit then your in trouble=) About the only thing i could see would be some sort of cornerman you could hire that could help give your fighter advice from round to round..but that would be way down the road. Like many have said we are the managers, but fighters do get advice in between rounds..so implementing that somehow would be great.

And with the see how it goes approach i was 7-12, with follow my orders 100% i am a 11-4, so i must have some really dumb fighters=)

lol unless he is a dumbshit then your in trouble=) About the only thing i could see would be some sort of cornerman you could hire that could help give your fighter advice from round to round..but that would be way down the road. Like many have said we are the managers, but fighters do get advice in between rounds..so implementing that somehow would be great.

And with the see how it goes approach i was 7-12, with follow my orders 100% i am a 11-4, so i must have some really dumb fighters=)

lol if you can't find a strategy to beat the fighter your facing, let him mix it up a bit. I don't have one slider more in favor of see how it goes, they all are on the side of follow my orders but depending who they're fighting I might tweak it a little bit so maybe there's a 30-40% chance he'll be smart enough to switch something up and win the fight.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure, managers can never throw punches, but they also provide needed input to fighters. Really, we don't know how much influence they have, but there is probably some. Every sport has coaches, and every sport recognizes that they are important. Greg Jackson is the example in vogue nowadays- his fighters are very good and might win anyway, but he gets constantly applauded for coming up with great gameplans. And it's open knowledge that his gameplans vary by round.

(how simple and basic it is now is more than enough input and a blessing in disguise. We could have simple ass check boxes like: Don't go to the ground, Take the fight to the ground, Always stand up, Mix up strikes, for those too lazy to fuck with the tactic bar. of course the results wouldn't always be the same but I'm sure it wouldn't mix much up except pre-setting sliders for you based off what you chose.)

It's a combonation of the managers input and the fighters ability. Both equally important cuz if you set your tactics wrong your fucked. Or you can have a real good advantage with the right tactics set.

And this last sentence agrees with the point I made above. Good. We're working from the same premise. Let's move to the conclusions...

This is a manager's game. This is a strategy game. Things that make the management and strategy aspects more realistic and/or cool should be added. I am aware that fighters are not always calculating these things. That is what prefight camps are for- you go over all the aspects of your game plan repeatedly until you have it memorized. Also, to be clear, we're not talking about realtime changes, but rather contingency planning beforehand.

You fight, you might get hit a couple times and if you don't like that take the dude down. If you set your tactics to 100% follow managers orders, and to never ever go for the takedown your dude will NEVER do anything the manager didn't instruct him to do. People, if you really wanna see your fighter switch shit up, if he's intelligent enough, don't set him all the way to follow orders let him "see how it goes" you could be amazed with the results. Sometimes your fighter is smarter then you ;)

That could be. Or it could be that people don't have enough knowledge about how the fight engine works yet to be able to outplan their fighters. Once management knowledge advances, this sort of innovation will lead to separation of the wheat from the chaff.

Sure, managers can never throw punches, but they also provide needed input to fighters. Really, we don't know how much influence they have, but there is probably some. Every sport has coaches, and every sport recognizes that they are important. Greg Jackson is the example in vogue nowadays- his fighters are very good and might win anyway, but he gets constantly applauded for coming up with great gameplans. And it's open knowledge that his gameplans vary by round.

And this last sentence agrees with the point I made above. Good. We're working from the same premise. Let's move to the conclusions...

This is a manager's game. This is a strategy game. Things that make the management and strategy aspects more realistic and/or cool should be added. I am aware that fighters are not always calculating these things. That is what prefight camps are for- you go over all the aspects of your game plan repeatedly until you have it memorized. Also, to be clear, we're not talking about realtime changes, but rather contingency planning beforehand.

That could be. Or it could be that people don't have enough knowledge about how the fight engine works yet to be able to outplan their fighters. Once management knowledge advances, this sort of innovation will lead to separation of the wheat from the chaff.

Even though it's a managers game, strategist game, adding a whole other tactics per round based on percentages would complicate things way more than they need to be.

I understand what you're saying..... just don't think it's all that necessary.

What I was sayin about those check boxes, instead of the sliders (the sliders would still be there, you'd just have the option of check boxes for basic default setting of your strategy going into the fight, this would help open peoples knowledge to what the sliders do.... however, I don't feel this is that important it would just help new people who don't get that type of thing immedietly.) I think the game is good how it is, with the exception of energy not taking a factor on certain moves when it needs to be.

Even though it's a managers game, strategist game, adding a whole other tactics per round based on percentages would complicate things way more than they need to be.

I understand what you're saying..... just don't think it's all that necessary.

What I was sayin about those check boxes, instead of the sliders (the sliders would still be there, you'd just have the option of check boxes for basic default setting of your strategy going into the fight, this would help open peoples knowledge to what the sliders do.... however, I don't feel this is that important it would just help new people who don't get that type of thing immediately.) I think the game is good how it is, with the exception of energy not taking a factor on certain moves when it needs to be.

Well, neither one of us has the data to determine whether it is "necessary." Theoretically, the more detailed you make the engine and the options to alter strategy, the greater the advantage of the superior manager. A more casual player isn't going to get into the nitty gritty of scouting, worrying about 5% adjustments, etc. That's fine, and I have no objection to someone like that playing the game. But I think that the superior manager should have a better opportunity to show his skills. If people who are game planning correctly aren't losing, than there's no need to change anything and my argument devolves to what's cooler. But we don't know any of this.

The WEBL Boxing League (http://www.vivi.com) has something similar to this. They let you set fight strategies for early rounds, middle rounds and late rounds.

(example:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4967/fightplan.png )

Urg... I was gonna say that, oh well, I think this would be the best way to implement the tactic changes but that would cause some changes on the sliders. Like the see how it goes would be less useful since managers can change gameplans.

I would like this if it could have variables like, "Set in strategy B if Fighter A wins round one." or something of that sort, but to change strategy if your first is successful would be bad, though still it could be helpful to try and gas your opponent or barrage him in further rounds. Personally this is the best idea I've seen in a while.

I agree with Chris, Unrealistic, Unnecessary change.

The types of modifications and what-ifs/would also need this's, it would take to make this type of change effective/useful, don't really seem feasible or possible to me. You want strategy change, give your dude some see how it goes. The only additional strategy I need is a little check box that says "Follow opponent to the ground? Yes/No"

Per Round Sliders appears to be a pipe dream that would require too many additional modifcations and variables to perform in a realistic manner.

• 2 weeks later...

How about real time fights where if you show up when your fighter is fighting you can set the tactics going into the first round, and after every round after that. And if you decide not to show up then it just takes your regular sliders for the whole fight. This will add a fun aspect of the game which will be more hands-on for the fighting while keeping the sim factors.

How about real time fights where if you show up when your fighter is fighting you can set the tactics going into the first round, and after every round after that. And if you decide not to show up then it just takes your regular sliders for the whole fight. This will add a fun aspect of the game which will be more hands-on for the fighting while keeping the sim factors.

Would require a complete overhaul of how things work. Since the whole fight is simulated at once on a selected time.

I agree with the guys who said we're managers and it's up to the fighters to win the fights. I think the feature would just add some complexity without a bigger payoff. I like the higher level of abstraction we have now ... this feature would just encourage too much micromanagement for my taste. If you want to add this feature, add it to the AI script playing off the "stick to the gameplan/see how it goes" slider.

I haven't read the whole thread, but the way I see it, for the basics, you don't need crazy modifications, just 3 sets of sliders.

The point would be to allow a more in-depth gameplan. For example, there are fights where I know my cardio is way better than my opponents, so I might play a defensive game for a round to tire them, and maybe throw some body shots to make it worse, and then rock 'em the 2nd round.

Or I could not be sure if my fighter can get a quick finish, so I'll go all out the first round. Failing a finish, I'll try to ground out a decision win.

Or maybe focus on ground one round and sub the next cause I'm not sure where my opponent is weaker.

Or... well, I'm sure you can think of other ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this idea a lot! If you were to do it you'd have to work out that conditioning effects your fighters more first so people couldn't still come in with the same sub and knockout one shots that exert your fighter but really offer no consequence. If gassing out really added to your chances of losing, and there were 3 rounds of sliders, I think we'd see a lot more people coming out initially looking to work the head a bit to soften them up before going for that KO blow. It'd make you think a lot harder since you could no longer just throw single shots for damage because if you don't get lucky and land one then second round will see you punished when your opponent gets aggo! It'd also solve the ground problems too. I think if people were less hesitant to set their slider to 100% aggressive from the start then we wouldn't see fights with "sub attempt-sub attempt-sub attempt" but WOULD see body and leg kicks from hell before a good takedown and submission~!

I'd love to see this in place. Also, add one more slider to make the system perfect (IMO) "strike rush rocked opponent vs. sub attempt rocked opponent"

Then we can finally see the flying armbar and flying scissor heel hook!