Stu_Pidasol

Yeah there was a bit of fight... Stokes did extremely well...

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you won in Melbourne... I know I've been saying 5-0 but seeing the emotion on the Aussies faces after the game (Harris fighting back tears, Johnson looked to have tears) tells me they really set themselves for this test and winning here, thinking they may take the foot slightly off the poms throat purely because they have achieved what they set out to do.

Yeah there was a bit of fight... Stokes did extremely well...

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you won in Melbourne... I know I've been saying 5-0 but seeing the emotion on the Aussies faces after the game (Harris fighting back tears, Johnson looked to have tears) tells me they really set themselves for this test and winning here, thinking they may take the foot slightly off the poms throat purely because they have achieved what they set out to do.

Yeh it could really go one of two ways, either you're still so pumped up that you coast it while we're still playing like pussies and feeling sorry for ourselves, or as you say perhaps you won't have much left and we'll play with nothing to lose.

All in all it would be nice to avoid the whitewash but I'm not that bothered, once the series if lost that's all that really matters to me.

I'd expect Harris to perhaps be rested in the next Test, and even though he's been incredible and arguably better than Johnson, I don't think you'll miss him to much as you have the likes of Starc, Faulkner, Caultinyle (sp?) to come in. Not sure who's top of the pecking order.

I'd like to see Gary Ballance given a chance for us with the bat, but who we leave out is difficult. I'm tempted to say Carberry, he's looked all right and had a bad bit of luck on a couple of occasions but at the end of the day he hasn't had a big score. I'd push Root up to open (His actual position) and move Bell up to 3, bringing in Ballance at 5. Whether they'll give him a chance I'm not sure but he deserves an opportunity.

Broad will likely miss out due to injury and even if he's more or less fit it's a good chance to have a look at someone else. They talk of Boyd Rankin but I don't know if he has the consistency for Test cricket just yet, Finn is off form, Tremlett the same and off pace, not sure who else we have ready to come in, nobody that's touring I don't think.

The other possible change would be Bairstow for Prior but that's a big call to make.

By the way, if you're still reading me ramble on, what ever happened to Agar? Warney was listing all your potential spinners the other day (Saying most of them are rubbish lol) and didn't even give him a mention.

Stokes did well. Melbourne theoretically favours England (it's a bit cooler, so more swing and a bit more grass on the wicket).

I'd expect Harris to perhaps be rested in the next Test, and even though he's been incredible and arguably better than Johnson, I don't think you'll miss him to much as you have the likes of Starc, Faulkner, Caultinyle (sp?) to come in. Not sure who's top of the pecking order.

By the way, if you're still reading me ramble on, what ever happened to Agar? Warney was listing all your potential spinners the other day (Saying most of them are rubbish lol) and didn't even give him a mention.

Coulter-Nile is probably the only replacement for Harris given Hilfenhaus is bowling like utter arse in 4 day cricket. Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, and Bird are all out with stress fractures, and Faulkner fractured his thumb in the nets -- Bird would be the logical choice if he was available.

Agar isn't a good spinner or at least isn't a good spinner yet -- his average in domestic 4 day cricket isn't up to much and he hasn't been playing well, that's why he gets no mention. Lyon is an easy first pick for the test side, he may not get tons of wickets, and he can't carry the team in India (Warne couldn't either for what it's worth), but he takes quality wickets and can lock down an end without leaking runs like a sieve (unless he's stuck bowling over after over at Amla, de Villiers, and du Plessis like happened last year -- pretty sure that nuked his average by about 10 when he got stuck bowling to Amla and de Villiers in Perth).

I don't think the Aussie's will change the team - Lehman has made it very clear that if everyone is fit then the best possible team will be picked.. The stupid rotation policy is over and thank fuck for that.

Not to mention I don't think there is anyway in the world Harris would want to miss the Boxing Day test.. You're talking about the biggest test on the test match calender for the year.. He knows he hasn't got long left so playing in these types of matches are a must for him..

I would leave Carberry where he is - he has done quite well albeit found silly ways of getting out.. Bell should have been batting at 3 as soon as Trott left with Root at 5 or 6.. I think Stokes while looking good in Perth is still probably batting a bit high at 6 so Bairstow in for Prior (I think Prior is done) means you can drop Stokes to 7 and have Bairstow in at 6 and Root at 5. The one issue I see with that is that it means you have an inexperienced (young) middle order, which I suppose has it's pros and cons.

Tremlett looks like a gentle giant - needs to get nasty and with that height he should be. He doesn't have to bowl 140+ but should be up close to 140 as with that height he would be a handful to play.

Finn - From what I remember from the last ashes was pushing 140km?? Took a few wickets but was also very expensive.

What happened to Onions not getting selected to tour at all? Is it worth putting Broad on ice and bringing him over?

I think the biggest concern for you going forward is that you don't have an enforcer, you need a 140/5+ bowler, because as soon as the ball stops swinging (no English bowlers have got much sideways movement at all this series) the attack has a sameness about it.. Which makes it easier for the batters.

I don't think the Aussie's will change the team - Lehman has made it very clear that if everyone is fit then the best possible team will be picked.. The stupid rotation policy is over and thank fuck for that.

I think the biggest concern for you going forward is that you don't have an enforcer, you need a 140/5+ bowler, because as soon as the ball stops swinging (no English bowlers have got much sideways movement at all this series) the attack has a sameness about it.. Which makes it easier for the batters.

The reason I think Harris might get rested is that it's a dead rubber and apparently his knee was giving him problems leading into the last game. Rotation or no, he might actually need to sit one out if his knee is bad.

Only two countries have reliably produced lightning fast bowlers in the last ~15 years, Australia and South Africa, and not even really convinced they're 100% needed, the English fast bowling attack that destroyed Australia in 2010/2011 was mostly Anderson, Bresnan, and Tremlett (Finn and Broad played 2 or 3 games, but the only one they won was in Adelaide and Swann did most of the work).

Honestly though, for a touring side to win a 5 match series in Australia with the current touring order (Brisbane--> Adelaide --> Perth --> Melbourne --> Sydney) they need to at least break even in Brisbane and Adelaide which requires good disciplined batting (which has arguably been the biggest problem for the English on this tour). It's a pretty rare touring side that can win in both Perth and Melbourne (the only team I recall doing it was South Africa a few years ago).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to the third day - was really looking forward to it, but from the first 2 days it looks like it's going to be another grinding slow day.. It's bad enough watching Australia go at 2 runs an over, but watching England do it?? Looks like I will have to find a spot close to the bar..

Agreed on the commentators and most definitely on Bill - Bumbles has been my fav all throughout he series..

Is the SCG really their best chance, without Swan they no longer have a truly dominant spinner and if we do take Doolan in we will have a No. 3 who can bat up the order for a change. I would have preferred to see Bollinger still in the squad rather than Coulter-Nile though.

Is the SCG really their best chance, without Swan they no longer have a truly dominant spinner and if we do take Doolan in we will have a No. 3 who can bat up the order for a change. I would have preferred to see Bollinger still in the squad rather than Coulter-Nile though.

Doolan isn't particularly good though, but given the brittle nature of the Warner/Watson at 1/3 it can't be much worse. I'd say Phillip Hughes should get the spot, but given how many times he has been in and out of the side, I really don't think he should be brought in as injury cover unless the selectors will actually keep him in the team afterwards -- he's good enough but has never been given a real run at test cricket; 26 games sure, but all in small bursts of 2-3 games and no real confidence in him to hold down a particular spot and he has been moved around the batting order like crazy and basically got dropped on one poor performance batting in a position he never plays in England.

Doolan is probably the most improved batsman in Australia though, I remember watching his debut game up in Newcastle and he was pretty well rushed into the shield side a year early which has made his stats look a little weak. I would have preferred Hughes as well especially with his recent form.

Pisses me off that Swann and 'Dominant spinner' ever got put into the same category. Really gives a good idea of how fucking piss poor the world's spin offerings are for him to be considered anywhere near best in the world.

Pisses me off that Swann and 'Dominant spinner' ever got put into the same category. Really gives a good idea of how fucking piss poor the world's spin offerings are for him to be considered anywhere near best in the world.

Not really an indictment of the quality of spinners out there. Swann is much the same way Kumble was -- nothing flashy but generally reliable and throws in a lot of small variations to get a lot of players out.

That said, he's not really a "dominant spinner" in the same way as Ashwin, or even Herath.

If Dololan is the next best batter we have in Australia then things are looking pretty bloody grim.. Jordan Silk is a young guy they should give a crack to.. Only early days but great shield form...

Chris Lynn would sense imo; a little bit more matured and a bit better than Silk too, but I think they're actively trying to keep the entire team over 25 which kind of makes sense. You bring a guy in too young and it can backfire if they don't get runs.

What would make even more sense is to bring Phillip Hughes back at 3 (and fucking stick with the guy for more than 2 games) and when Watson is fit put him at 6 and drop Bailey.

What I don't understand is why they have persisted with letting Watson demand to be in the top order when he has never shown the ability or consistency to justify it. If you aren't comfortable playing spin bowlers then perhaps you shouldn't be playing test cricket rather than demanding to bat up the order.

What I don't understand is why they have persisted with letting Watson demand to be in the top order when he has never shown the ability or consistency to justify it. If you aren't comfortable playing spin bowlers then perhaps you shouldn't be playing test cricket rather than demanding to bat up the order.

Watson is in the team because he can bat and function as a fourth seam bowler (and unlike most fourth seamers he isn't free runs), plus Watson is actually pretty good as an opener (his average as an opener is about as good as Warner).

There's nobody playing first class cricket you could confidently say would be a better use of the spot. Could even make sense to put Watson opening at let Warner bat down the order where he can have a license to explode.

I don't dispute Watson's place in the team, he's the best allrounder in the country without a doubt abs is a very good slip fielder to boot. But a top order player needs to justify their spot on their batting alone and he doesn't do that on a regular basis.

I don't dispute Watson's place in the team, he's the best allrounder in the country without a doubt abs is a very good slip fielder to boot. But a top order player needs to justify their spot on their batting alone and he doesn't do that on a regular basis.

Mostly because he's shuffled around the order as a stop gap player because he's an allrounder. Like I said, his average as an opener is 40, which is as good as Warner or Rogers, so to say he doesn't justify his selection as an opener would indicate that neither of those two do either.

Plus Australia doesn't have a better number 3 option at this point (unless you want to move Clarke up, but Clarke doesn't *want* to move).